Taliek Brown a valuable resource to current UConn point guard Gilbert | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Taliek Brown a valuable resource to current UConn point guard Gilbert

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score
Yeah I think you guys are right, but there was also a brutal lay-up that never got to the rim late.
Sounds about right, but, like like you (right?), I no longer care.

And BTW, to borrow from another thread, I could support putting him on the the UConn Mt Rushmore for his smile alone.

Reaction Score
I may have shared this with the Boneyard before and if so, I apologize.

From the time my son was very young I had him following UConn sports as both my wife and I graduated from UConn. My son was born in August of 2000 and shortly before his 4th birthday I brought him up to UConn to see the campus for the first time. I'm guessing it was late June or July, just a couple of months after UConn had won their second national championship. We wandered into gampel and the only two people inside were Taliek and what looked to be a team manager. Taliek was shooting outside shots (well I might add) and the team manager was rebounding for him. we sat about 10 rows off the floor and watched and every now and then my son would say something like "Carter do it". Taliek looked over a few times and I thought he was annoyed with us, however, after he finished his workout he came over to us and asked Carter to come out on the court with him. Taliek handed Carter a basketball and brought him over to the basket and lifted him up to the rim and Carter dunked the ball for his first basket ever on a 10-foot hoop.

It's been over 15 years and my son is now in his second year of college but this thread certainly brought back a great memory. I have a Kemba Walker story that's kind of similar but I will save that for another day.

Last edited:

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Sounds about right, but, like like you (right?), I no longer care.
I don't care as far as Taliek goes. He has a ring that he deserves as much as anyone on the team. My point is that he was a much better player as a senior than he was the rest of his career because his game matured. He wasn't just trying to "make a play", he was making the right play. I don't care about next year yet, I think we can be really good this year. But we need our upper class guards to show the same growth Taliek showed as a senior.

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score
I don't care as far as Taliek goes. He has a ring that he deserves as much as anyone on the team. My point is that he was a much better player as a senior than he was the rest of his career because his game matured. He wasn't just trying to "make a play", he was making the right play. I don't care about next year yet, I think we can be really good this year. But we need our upper class guards to show the same growth Taliek showed as a senior.
No disagreement at all.

Reaction Score
Alterique turns 23 next October. That's going to certainly play a role in his future plans. Cole is quite a scorer and averaged 6.8 assists last season. I am not at all worried about the PG position with Cole and Gaffney, who will develop.

Cole Bouk Jackson Akok and Carlton looks like a great lineup to me.
Pinning a lot on Cole. He can’t play all 40mins.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
I may have shared this with the Boneyard before and if so, I apologize.

From the time my son was very young I had him following UConn sports as both my wife and I graduated from UConn. My son was born in August of 2000 and shortly before his 4th birthday I brought him up to UConn to see the campus for the first time. I'm guessing it was late June or July, just a couple of months after UConn had won their second national championship. We wandered into gampel and the only two people inside were Taliek and what looked to be a team manager. Taliek was shooting outside shots (well I might add) and the team manager was rebounding for him. we sat about 10 rows off the floor and watched and every now and then my son would say something like "Carter do it". Taliek looked over a few times and I thought he was annoyed with us, however, after he finished his workout he came over to us and asked Carter to come out on the court with him. Taliek handed Carter a basketball and brought him over to the basket and lifted him up to the rim and Carter dunked the ball for his first basket ever on a 10-foot hoop.

It's been over 15 years and my son is now in his second year of college but this thread certainly brought back a great memory. I have a Kemba Walker story that's kind of similar but I will save that for another day.

Great story.

Reaction Score
Pinning a lot on Cole. He can’t play all 40mins.

I think you are overlooking Gaffney. He should be plenty good enough to average 10-15 minutes a game as a Soph. And I wouldn't be shocked to see Bouk playing on the ball with Cole off the ball a little next season as well. I am far more concerned with rebounding for next year than I am point guard play.

Reaction Score
Taliek was criticized as much (possibly more) as any other UConn pg in history. Although he was sooo fast and a great PG and defender, people bashed his poor shooting and free throws. I know this sort of changed with the 2004 rub, but man he took some heat. Perhaps he can be a nice mentor to help AG deal with our crazy fan base.

Reaction Score
I think you are overlooking Gaffney. He should be plenty good enough to average 10-15 minutes a game as a Soph. And I wouldn't be shocked to see Bouk playing on the ball with Cole off the ball a little next season as well. I am far more concerned with rebounding for next year than I am point guard play.
Not to belabor the back and forth but we ll basically have Cole and gaffney( who hasn’t showed much) at point. rebounding wise we ll have Ferguson akok Carlton springs and Whalley. Hope gaffney really improves next year but we re gonna miss AG more than we kno it next year. Plus he’s really starting to play well. Imagine how good we’ll be if he comes back ? Scary good

pj

Reaction Score

Gaffney will average 10-15 mpg as a freshman. He's averaging 10.6 mpg right now and a bunch of those he had a bad ankle.

Reaction Score
I don't get why people are giving up on Gaffney so fast. He's coming back from a serious sprained ankle. He's incredibly athletic. I just think he's feeling his way back and a little tentative. The guy missed almost all of the practices up to the start of the season.
I just think he needs time on the floor with the other guys whether it's practice or in game. He'll get better.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twdaylor104

Top Bottom