Tale of Kiah Stokes | The Boneyard

Tale of Kiah Stokes

Reaction Score
Once upon a time, Kiah Stokes was a UConn Husky. Doris Burke said of her that she had a WNBA physique yet she languished on the bench for 3 long years.

Finally, early in her Senior season, she grabbed 18 rebounds against Notre Dame, she started posting up and she swatted everything that came her way.

I have my own suppositions as to the cause of the change but the most probable reason seems to me to be is that she wanted to be in the WNBA after all.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
Once upon a time, Kiah Stokes was a UConn Husky. Doris Burke said of her that she had a WNBA physique yet she languished on the bench for 3 long years.

Finally, early in her Senior season, she grabbed 18 rebounds against Notre Dame, she started posting up and she swatted everything that came her way.

I have my own suppositions as to the cause of the change but the most probable reason seems to me to be is that she wanted to be in the WNBA after all.
Languished on the bench?

390F9630-0A79-4603-9EAF-101A71A083F7.jpeg
E29BEE30-7AAC-4B50-9119-19F6F5B78CD4.jpeg

Reaction Score

key words: ”WNBA physique”

No one currently on the active roster possesses that, other than Edwards

Reaction Score
I vaguely recall an interview with either Kiah or Geno, where whichever one it was recounted a conversation between the two of them. IIRC, the essence of it was Kiah trying to figure out how to get off the bench and contribute more, Geno asking her what she felt her strengths were. Kiah said she was most comfortable with rebounding and rim-protection, and Geno told her to concentrate on that. And from there she transformed from ineffective scorer to the defensive beast that we all came to know and love. I don't recall the WNBA being part of the discussion.

Reaction Score
I vaguely recall an interview with either Kiah or Geno, where whichever one it was recounted a conversation between the two of them. IIRC, the essence of it was Kiah trying to figure out how to get off the bench and contribute more, Geno asking her what she felt her strengths were. Kiah said she was most comfortable with rebounding and rim-protection, and Geno told her to concentrate on that. And from there she transformed from ineffective scorer to the defensive beast that we all came to know and love. I don't recall the WNBA being part of the discussion.
I always thought she was the best rebounder and shotblocker on Breanna Stewart's team.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
I think we need to add a little more detail as to when and why Kiah finally earned quality PT at UConn. Yes, Kiah always possessed a WNBA physique. But she had some of the worst hands I had ever seen. In her first two seasons at UConn, in limited playing time, Kiah would fumble rebounds, point blank layups and frequently get the ball stripped in the paint.

By her junior season Kiah had made significant progress in catching and holding onto the basketball. She became a member of the regular rotation about midway through her junior season, and was a fixture in the rotation during her senior season.

Once Kiah established herself as a defensive enforcer and rebounder extraordinare, I recall several occasions when Geno put Stewie, Stef & Kiah on the floor together, in what could only be described as an “unfair lineup.” Opposing teams couldn’t get off a shot within 10’ of the basket, and the possibility of pulling down any rebound against UConn was remote at best.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
The undefeated 2013-14 team often played a frontline of Stef, Stewie, and Stokes. When Kiah came into the game, UConn often went on a big run. Why? Well, it wasn't scoring by Kiah. They basically shut out the other team. A typical sequence:

Block by Stokes, outlet to Jefferson, layup by Stewart.

Rebound by Stokes, outlet to Hartley, three by Mosqueda-Lewis.

Steal by Stokes, outlet to Jefferson, layup and one.

That never got old!

Reaction Score
I once saw an interview with Kiah about Geno's demeanor at practices. She said that he gets really upset when you make the same mistake over and over again. She said, "If you're going to make a mistake, make a different one."

Reaction Score
key words: ”WNBA physique”

No one currently on the active roster possesses that, other than Edwards
I disagree. Ice Brady, Ayanna, Jana, Aubrey, and Azzi have WNBA bodies IMO. Paige need a little more bulk but she is almost there herself. Now, I did not say they were all WNBA ready, but they have the bodies for the W!

Reaction Score
I disagree. Ice Brady, Ayanna, Jana, Aubrey, and Azzi have WNBA bodies IMO. Paige need a little more bulk but she is almost there herself. Now, I did not say they were all WNBA ready, but they have the bodies for the W!

Did you say the same about Stewie? If you take the height away, they’re built the same

Reaction Score
Everytime I see Kiah Stokes' senior season blocks I get shocked. 147 blocks is psychotic.

I think we need to add a little more detail as to when and why Kiah finally earned quality PT at UConn. Yes, Kiah always possessed a WNBA physique. But she had some of the worst hands I had ever seen. In her first two seasons at UConn, in limited playing time, Kiah would fumble rebounds, point blank layups and frequently get the ball stripped in the paint.

By her junior season Kiah had made significant progress in catching and holding onto the basketball. She became a member of the regular rotation about midway through her junior season, and was a fixture in the rotation during her senior season.

Once Kiah established herself as a defensive enforcer and rebounder extraordinare, I recall several occasions when Geno put Stewie, Stef & Kiah on the floor together, in what could only be described as an “unfair lineup.” Opposing teams couldn’t get off a shot within 10’ of the basket, and the possibility of pulling down any rebound against UConn was remote at best.
And someone always yelled “up Kiah up” when she went for a rebound!

Reaction Score
At one point in time, Iowa fans were hopeful that Kiah Stokes would stay home (and follow her Dad), joining Sam Logic in a monster recruiting class (by Iowa standards).

Reaction Score
Did you say the same about Stewie? If you take the height away, they’re built the same
No, but that's the point, Stewie is 6"4" and PB is not. Do you see how effective a very skinny Kevin Durant is in the NBA? He is skinnier than Steph Curry, but because he is 6'10" he can get away with it. Stop changing the facts to make a point. I am talking about their current physical states and whether they are WNBA ready, not woulda, coulda, shoulda!

Reaction Score
Note I said active roster. Patterson, Jana, and Fudd are all out for the season. Griffin and Bueckers (God love her) will take a pounding at the next level. Brady does have size and bulk as you point out.

Reaction Score
Spot on! Kia was always a very productive bench star. The idea that if you don't start you are are not producing much is a common misguided perception. How many concluded Betts was a flop for example, and were not interested in pursuing her because she played 10 minutes a game in her first year. Looking at her per minute stats or overall PER numbers, it was clear that although she got fewer minutes than most expected, she was very effective when she was in the game.

The very top programs frequently have potential WNBA players coming off the bench in their first or second year. Most ultimately start but Kia was an example of a very good player who never was a regular starter but carved out a nice WNBA career with a championship ring to boot.

MSGRET

MSG, US Army Retired
Reaction Score
Spot on! Kia was always a very productive bench star. The idea that if you don't start you are are not producing much is a common misguided perception. How many concluded Betts was a flop for example, and were not interested in pursuing her because she played 10 minutes a game in her first year. Looking at her per minute stats or overall PER numbers, it was clear that although she got fewer minutes than most expected, she was very effective when she was in the game.

The very top programs frequently have potential WNBA players coming off the bench in their first or second year. Most ultimately start but Kia was an example of a very good player who never was a regular starter but carved out a nice WNBA career with a championship ring to boot.
Actually she has two championship rings, the Ace's won in 2022 and 2023.

Reaction Score
Kia Stokes is one of my all-time favorite UConn players. Her demeanor never changed no matter what was happening around her. After her "adjustment period" she was awesome. and you could count on her to do the dirty work that others wouldn't/couldn't do.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom