Taking a knee.... | Page 4 | The Boneyard

Taking a knee....

Status
Not open for further replies.

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
things change in 30 yrs... but I dont see them doing it BUT I dont think he'd discourage them. I dont think it would even be a discussion.

Go to the players Twitter pages and see if they are even talking or retweeting about it.

Is it control, respect, shame, non-issue or important as to what they do as a team, who knows!

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
hmmmm seems that the players are aware of the current events... who knows what may happen

raw

Reaction Score
With the season almost upon us... and tickets sales about to be "Huge".... I was curious about the latest fad out there where athletes are taking a knee during the National Anthem. Does anyone know if UCONN has a policy on this? Maybe it is just me but I would like to know before I attend a game if the players are planning on expressing themselves in such a manner. I know I do not always think the same as others, but players on a team represent that team and organization, and therefore have limited free speech and their expressions might not reflect those of the people who are paying to attend such event.

What do people think about this? Do you think it would happen at UCONN?

I don't know what all this fuss is about---I guess it's ok to "TAKE A KNEE" during the game ---but not during the Anthem--
I have had a few during the games. Not much fun---is it more fun while music is played????

Reaction Score
It's true that John Wooden forbade his players from joining a protest against the Vietnam War. In hindsight, I wonder if, a couple years later, he would have.

In 1968, Tommie Smith and John Carlos raised their fists in black gloves as the national anthem was played. The IOC chairman Avery Brundage demanded that the USOC expel them from the US team, and banned them from the Olympic Village. When they returned home, Brent Musberger called them "black-skinned storm troopers."

Yet next week, Smith and Carlos will join the athletes from the 2016 Olympic team at the White House to be honored by President Barack Obama. And the Smithsonian reported that, "the tracksuit Smith was wearing that day, October 16, 1968, is among the artifacts acquired by the Smithsonian’s National Museum of African American History and Culture, along with the shoes he wore in that race, his official Olympic bag from the Games, and the box containing the olive tree branch he held as he stood on the medal platform." The museum's curator, Damion Thomas says that, "the gesture was both a symbol of people who are willing to take a stand against injustice, and of those who are willing to use their platform to advance issues related to social justice."

I wonder if, some time in the future, Tina Charles and Swin Cash will also be honored in the Smithsonian's museum. I wonder whether they, too, will be invited to the White House to be acknowledged for their actions "to advance issues related to social justice."

The issue of protesting the Vietnam war was: Some could not tell the difference between the war and Young Americans SENT (not all willingly) to fight that war. Protesting the WAR (any war) may be ok--but if young people are sent off , in the name of the American people, I don't believe you have a choice but to support them. It is possible to support them by STOPPING the war. But many protesters apparently thought it great fun to lay a brand of "baby killer" on them--regardless of their involvement. I doubt Mr Wooden would have approved that..

Reaction Score
If you follow the huskies you know they have a strict code of conduct that they are required to follow. Letting the player(s) protest the anthem would go against everything Geno and C.D. have been preaching for the past 30 years. There is no mystery here - there will be no surprises.

The Geno and CD I've watch most of the past 30 years --isn't much as you write--Geno is an ACTIVIST and involved with his community (Community--neighborhood, town, city, state, country). I'm not sure he'd go for the Knee thing--but some other form of protest may be acceptable--however, I keep forgetting that who or what protests are acceptable--MUST be ACCEPTABLE to not only Chris and Geno but to the University Admin.

Reaction Score
The question boils down to who is the player representing? Themselves or the school/team? As a private citizen I can put signs on my front lawn for who I am voting for, however, in my classroom I cannot have just one candidates sign. To quote you, "BUT THAT'S MY FIRST AMENDMENT RIGHT".... People need to know and understand the constitution before the start using it as a basis to do whatever they want. Your rights can be limited. Your freedoms have limits. One of the reasons we have laws on the book.

Whereas I cannot put candidate propaganda in my classroom as it could be seen as being persuasive and an abuse of my power/authority..... is it not the same case with athletes and tv/movie stars misusing their celebrity? When I work I work for a school board. When Katie Lou (for example) plays she plays and represents the University of Connecticut. And IF I AM PAYING to attend a game it is a game I want to see... not your opinion or view.

You are right that every right has a responsibility ---which is NOT written in the Constitution. The right to peaceful assembly is written.
Your right to free speech is written. The limitations are not by the Constitution but by organization. I.e. your right to swing your arm ends at my nose (overused but factual) . I have free speech but I cannot (legally) slander you.
Uconn during the Vietnam war---some instructors or professors taught PROTEST the WAR--for most of the year. So if history is a factor Uconn accepts protesting . Do they want to do that on TV?? You'll have to ask the UC president.

Attending a UConn WBB game is a privilege--not a right.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Exactly, my response was in respect to whole teams etc, rather than voicing as an individual. There are so many levels to this, what do people believe is the relevance to the anthem and flag, what do people believe is the responsibility to the team/employer etc. How are people getting involved at the root of the problems. There is a voice but there is also a process where actions show how to help those that need help. The beauty of the US is that everyone can voice their opinion but everyone should also expect to hear the opinions of others.

To
me the Flag embodies all that is good and great of America. When I hear the Anthem or see the Flag before a game--I think of the young kids who gave everything for that flag to fly--and NO one knows their names.
The last sentence is what America is , not what it should be--but it proves America is HUMAN. Luckily, here on the Boneyard most are respectful of opinions at least within this thread..

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
Did someone take her pillow away so she wouldn't be sleeping on the bench?? Some people should know when to retire--but the perks are so awful good--and you can't be fired..(yet)

Careful, she's an icon of the American left. Imagine their quandary over her remarks. I'm amazed at how long this "sports" related topic has stayed here.

Reaction Score
Careful, she's an icon of the American left. Imagine their quandary over her remarks. I'm amazed at how long this "sports" related topic has stayed here.
I could reply to that but I'd get in really really big trouble. Left -Right -Middle, the lady has overstayed her ability to do the job. (just can't help myself).

Reaction Score
I find it amusing when people regular people are hostile to those who choose to protest during the national anthem. All the veterans that I know and those who have chosen to comment about this issue on social media have been pretty consistent in saying that they fought in support of American freedom and values among which are the right to free speech. Besides, protest is a central theme in most of American history resulting in many of the more important advances from the Revolutionary War, ending slavery, women's suffrage and most civil rights advances.

Reaction Score
There is less than ZERO chance that Coach Auriemma allows any protest of any kind to happen!
I disagree with that. I don't think he'll allow individuals to protest in that way, but if the TEAM decided as a unit they were ALL going to do it ? I virtually guarantee Geno would support them. He's not going to tolerate someone or even a group of players to elevate themselves above the team. But as a team ? He'd allow it.

Reaction Score
The athletes at Missouri declared that they would not play another game unless the university took a range of actions. The university caved.
Indeed. And applications to, and funding at Missouri have dropped significantly as a result. Actions have consequences.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
I could reply to that but I'd get in really really big trouble. Left -Right -Middle, the lady has overstayed her ability to do the job. (just can't help myself).

One of the curses of lifetime tenure and a politicized court, but true bug house crazy judges have always been a problem (not saying she is). A true looney who sat on the bench in the federal Southern District of New York (Manhattan) was Irving Ben Cooper and he subjected many attorneys and their clients to great abuse and injustice, yet the presiding judge, etc, etc protected him for many years. It's like the Blue Wall of silence; I call it the Black Robe Wall.

diggerfoot

Humanity Hiker
Reaction Score
My goodness, this topic still has such legs? I have not commented until now because my responsibilities to others get in the way of commenting on the Boneyard in general; that is precisely the cause for me weighing in now.

Standing for the anthem is a social custom. Failure to do so carries no penalty besides possibly being ostracized. As a social custom its purpose is to demonstrate symbolic allegiance, but in no way satisfies any responsibility a good citizen might have towards others. I stand, for I have no reason to buck social custom; I sing loudly, because I like to sing. Yet I treasure the responsible behavior I witness in citizens oh so much more than symbolic allegiance.

As I look across a stadium I know many are standing simply because it is social custom, without giving a single thought as to its symbolic allegiance. Moreover, I know that for some who stand precisely for its symbolic allegiance they demonstrate not one whit of responsible behavior towards others, beyond voting and taxes. The same can be said for "kneelers." Some who are kneeling are using convenient symbolism to substitute for more consequential responsible behavior. Then again, some "kneelers" also follow their conscious to try to improve lives of others in more substantive ways.

My concern then is not over what happens during an anthem, either standing or kneeling is rather meaningless to me in terms of what really matters for a citizenry. My concern is more over the societal reactions. Some seem to think that symbolic allegiance equates to responsible behavior, to which I would say that is misguided. Some even seem to think that symbolic allegiance is more important than responsible behavior, to which I say history has shown just how dangerous that attitude can be.

Reaction Score
One of the curses of lifetime tenure and a politicized court, but true bug house crazy judges have always been a problem (not saying she is). A true looney who sat on the bench in the federal Southern District of New York (Manhattan) was Irving Ben Cooper and he subjected many attorneys and their clients to great abuse and injustice, yet the presiding judge, etc, etc protected him for many years. It's like the Blue Wall of silence; I call it the Black Robe Wall.

Regardless of the color of the wall--that just isn't the America most believe in.

digging my hole deeper!! The real issues with Federal Judges and Supreme Court judges --is the thing that should make them apolitical--they take an oath to rule via the constitution--not to change the meaning of written words and they can't be fired.

Now I'm a really old fart--so this isn't an insult to age--it's a fact of life. As one gets past 70 something of the energies drop off at an exponential rate> A study done many years ago--said that at about age 30 plus maybe 6 years--brain cells died and were not replaced at a certain rate--regardless of the rate--at 75 and beyond they must be reduced significantly. The demands of higher offices and courts are at times extraordinary--it's not a job for a kid--but is it a job for an old person ?
McCain--I would have voted for him--because of his courageous stance in Vietnam--but his age and damage to his body, and reducing energies--I couldn't. I won't speak of his decisions since--
The Judge that began this --speaks volumes about energy, stamina, and mental strength

Please this is the last of these words --or I'll have to find another site that will accept me. Please don't QUOTE THIS.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
Heck, I'm 69 and most days I check in here to see what I may have said yesterday!

Reaction Score
Except that, far from criticizing any athletes for their actions in these protests, Auriemma has consistently offered high praise. So I strongly doubt that, having praised Tina Charles, Swin Cash, and other former UConn players in the WNBA, he would then reverse himself and criticize or punish UConn players on his team today.

Another factor to consider is that black athletes he is recruiting will look closely at how he handles this issue. African-American high school athletes could very well balk at attending UConn or any other university whose coach criticizes or punishes a black athlete for taking part in a protest.

The athletes at Missouri declared that they would not play another game unless the university took a range of actions. The university caved. The WNBA caved in when the players union refused to pay the fines levied.

Wonder what lies in store for any white coach who attempts to silence black players protesting?
\

That goes back to : In the early daze of Uconn building a program--Top Black players were told---don't go to Uconn they are all white.
I believe this is from a quote from Geno. Abt 2000.
If that is partly or whole true--you can see that Geno would take every step, beyond not having a color coded gene in his body, to not allow anyone to think he was not aware of issues that effect Black players.
I don't like to use the term Black player--I prefer the term Player or American player (without any hyphen)--

Monte

Count of Monte UConn
Reaction Score
Hopefully then every time they do play the national anthem at games you stand up in you living room, put your hand on your heart and sing along. Or that's the last time I reply to reno tony.
Not obligated to do so if not at the event, live.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom