Taking a knee.... | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Taking a knee....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bliss

Mizzou Ballyhoo
Reaction Score
I feel nothing but contempt for any able-bodied U.S. citizen who does not stand for the National Anthem and I have the right to feel this way.

wallman

UCLA Bruin
Reaction Score
C'mon nobody watched the football game last night?

They all talked about it before the game BOTH teams (wow what a civilized thing to do), they all listened and stood for the anthem (I think all as it wasn't shown to be otherwise) then they all came together after and held hands at the center of the field, players, coaches etc. of both teams, mic drop!

Reaction Score
One of the many things that impresses me about the Husky Women is when they take the court for the playing of the National Anthem; standing erect, straight line by player height, facing the flag. I would make book that Geno and CD would not tolerate for one second any deviation from that protocol. If so, the bench would be your immediate option, followed by a transfer to "parts unknown"!

Reaction Score
That is an isolated incident. It was NEVER a regular occurrence in every game before 2009. Get YOUR facts straight.

Seems that there is some
I guess I am still waiting for a source for this information. I, like you, don't take someone's opinion as fact..... especially when I have seen differently with my own eyes.

There is probably truth on both sides, but JordyG is not wrong (although I'm not a fan of calling people out in CAPS unless you have a lot of factchecker sources readily at hand).

Attached article makes the point that JordyG was offering.

NFL teams being on the field for anthem is a relatively new practice

That said, I would re-phrase his post to say the NFL did not require teams to be on the field until 2009. I will offer that I know for a fact that as far back as 1977 NFL players and teams were on the field for the playing of the anthem. My first NFL game, a pre-season one no less (so it wasn't a "unique" event like the Super Bowl), was the season Namath signed with the Rams and they were playing in Pittsburgh. I was in the upperdeck and wanted to see where Joe was, but he wasn't warming up etc. He must have been a scratch because he didn't play. Only way I confirmed he was there was I stood at the national anthem and scanned the sidelines and saw him along the Rams sideline (not surprisingly, he wasn't kneeling). It is my belief that the Steelers were also standing on the sideline at the other 6 games I attended that year, but I can't swear to it as it was not my focus. But I would bet a month's pension that they did. But that is the Steelers, and Rooney. I would have expected it whether the league said you have to or not.

Will also comment about Mr Thomas E Curren's article. Rather than just leave the topic open with smug innuendo about what the practice was and wasn't, how about picking the lousy phone up and calling the sports info director at a few clubs. Don't break a sweat or anything, but geez Tom.

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
I feel nothing but contempt for any able-bodied U.S. citizen who does not stand for the National Anthem and I have the right to feel this way.
Next time you're at home watching the game, please stand. I'll take you word for it.

Kibitzer

Sky Soldier
Reaction Score
A US Navy (reserve) sailor refused to stand during the playing of the National Anthem and made a public statement why she took that form of protest. Her security clearance was withdrawn and she may be prosecuted for violation of Article 92, UCMJ, for violation of a lawful order.

She is the second reported to have done this; unlike the other, she has been identified publicly. Story on www.military.com

Reaction Score
Geno and Chris are both knowledgeable of what's happening. If Geno believes his team wants to speak for those without a voice--Geno shall allow it. Some talked about how this actually honors America--I don't like the method--but it certainly speaks volumes that Americans have a right to speak or yell loudly when some section of Americans are being treated badly (not strong enough??)

There is less than ZERO chance that Coach Auriemma allows any protest of any kind to happen!

Reaction Score
I guess I am still waiting for a source for this information. I, like you, don't take someone's opinion as fact..... especially when I have seen differently with my own eyes.
Understandable. I have to say honestly this is why I love The Boneyard. I'm sure we agree on many things. The fact that we perhaps don't agree on this one takes nothing away from either of us. I'm sure however we can both agree that our love for this country informs everything we say.
I'm confused. :confused:

Does this help?

2003 Brandy singing national anthem at Pro Bowl in Hawaii

1997 - LeAnn Rimes - National Anthem

1990 US Soccer - National Anthem from
US Soccer - National Anthem from 1990

1986 ALCS Gm3: Sammy Davis Jr. sings national anthem
1986 ALCS Gm3: Sammy Davis Jr. sings national anthem

1976 WS Gm3: Merrill sings national anthem
1976 WS Gm3: Merrill sings national anthem

1969 superbowl 3 anthem lloyd geisler
superbowl 3 anthem lloyd geisler

There are PLENTY more.

KnightBridgeAZ

Grand Canyon Knight
Reaction Score
You are all going crazy over this. So far as I remember, baseball teams have always been on the field for the National Anthem. I do not recollect that football teams were always on the field, but I do recall them being there "often".

More to our sport - most WBB teams were never on the floor for the anthem for many, many years. They would go into the locker room for final words just prior to the playing of the anthem, which was historically played before game "time" so as not to interfere with television.

What changed that - and probably influenced many other sports - was really (originally) 9/11. Then increasing unrest from the fan base that players were not "out" for the anthem. It was one of several complaints to Rutgers from the fan club there over the years.

As for myself, I'll say it again. I stand proudly for the anthem because I am proud of my country. I don't think my country is "perfect", but I can't think of any other country that would compare. Part of being proud of my country is being proud that it permits athletes (or others) to take the protest form they have, which I don't consider disrespectful, but also don't consider all that effective in getting their point across, either.

Reaction Score
There is less than ZERO chance that Coach Auriemma allows any protest of any kind to happen!
Never say never!! I assume from this posting you know Geno exceptionally well and have followed what he will and will not allow his teams to do. I'm a novice in that arena so I'll be please to know what protest he didn't allow--or what bias he has towards protests his kids feel strong about.

Bliss

Mizzou Ballyhoo
Reaction Score
Next time you're at home watching the game, please stand. I'll take you word for it.

You should know that standing is only required when actually attending the event where and when the anthem is being played. You sound like a non-stander to me and you already know my feeling on that.

JordyG

Reaction Score
You should know that standing is only required when actually attending the event where and when the anthem is being played. You sound like a non-stander to me and you already know my feeling on that.
I've just had a long discussion with someone else about why some find the event at the stadium sacred and those at home are given dispensation. Does standing with hand on heart extend to those in the stadium who are screaming chants, laughing and joking around, canoodling with their significants, vendors etc.? Does it extend to those tail gate-ing? Or does this ritual magically stop at the stadium walls? Frankly, I usually stand. And at home I stop what I'm doing and yes, occasionally stand. BUT THAT'S MY FIRST AMENDMENT RIGHT. So is not standing, and the simple act of taking a knee is, to me, an act of belief in this country and respect for that right. While at the same time showing respect for those who not shown certain "inalienable" rights guaranteed by our constitution. Which to me is the real sacred document. Stop attacking the messenger and just for a minute try to examine the message. I know this would require some self-examination, but that is what protests are for, especially one this well thought out.

Reaction Score
I am sure the players have already talked about the protests amongst themselves - as have the coaches. I would like to think Geno got everyone together to "clear the air". Afterwards I think Geno would explain the many ramifications that protesting during the anthem would cause. (There are way too many to list here). Lets all tune into the first game and see how it all plays out. I know where I am putting my money

Bliss

Mizzou Ballyhoo
Reaction Score
I've just had a long discussion with someone else about why some find the event at the stadium sacred and those at home are given dispensation. Does standing with hand on heart extend to those in the stadium who are screaming chants, laughing and joking around, canoodling with their significants, vendors etc.? Does it extend to those tail gate-ing? Or does this ritual magically stop at the stadium walls? Frankly, I usually stand. And at home I stop what I'm doing and yes, occasionally stand. BUT THAT'S MY FIRST AMENDMENT RIGHT. So is not standing, and the simple act of taking a knee is, to me, an act of belief in this country and respect for that right. While at the same time showing respect for those who not shown certain "inalienable" rights guaranteed by our constitution. Which to me is the real sacred document. Stop attacking the messenger and just for a minute try to examine the message. I know this would require some self-examination, but that is what protests are for, especially one this well thought out.

Think what you want, do what you want - I'm moving on from this.

Reaction Score
Think what you want, do what you want - I'm moving on from this.

I agree with Bliss. It's been weeks now going back and forth on this issue. I see the Kapernick episode similar to the response when the Nigerian girls were kidnapped years ago. All the concerned people tweeted out "save the girls" or something like that. OK, well and good. You proved you cared. But what actions were taken. What follow-up. Sorry, too much hip symbolism for me. Too superficial. Yea, I'm supporting this or that by kneeling down. Really.
Kapernick wants a conversation. Yes - there are some bad cops and bad shootings. Arrest them if it was a bad shooting. I have heard there is now--intense federal oversight, better training discussed, more cameras, thoughts on new rules of engagement, more community interactions, and more!! All good stuff going in the right direction. The conversation Kap wanted, is and has been taking place the last year (since Michael Brown.) Some ask what are we doing about false narratives.
So, as a concerned citizen and a caring inner city teacher/coach for 40 years, I want to know what are we all doing about the 10 murders and 50 shootings in Chicago --EVERY WEEK! Little press-little discussion. Nation wide 100 blacks are murdered every week. In the last 10 years 50,000 blacks were killed by other blacks. Where is the conversation? My high school, like hundreds across the nation, have had too many funerals. Above I mentioned a half dozen interventions and methods to improve the police. We should keep looking for more.
I am doing my small part by coaching, counseling, and supporting the students who are in my charge. I have mentored, paid for recruiting trips, visited homes, and gone to weddings like thousands of teachers, coaches, and other concerned citizens. No big deal.
However, the final part of the conversation has to be about the 75 to 80% of black students who have no father around. If this is not part of the big conversation and something concrete is not done----then nothing will change! The first step of AA is YOU HAVE TO ADMIT YOU HAVE A PROBLEM or nothing will change.
I looked at the problem from both sides since it takes two to tango. Will it be a one-sided conversation or two?

Reaction Score
I am sure the players have already talked about the protests amongst themselves - as have the coaches. I would like to think Geno got everyone together to "clear the air". Afterwards I think Geno would explain the many ramifications that protesting during the anthem would cause. (There are way too many to list here). Lets all tune into the first game and see how it all plays out. I know where I am putting my money

Personally I don't see Geno agreeing to this unless every one of the girls tells him they want to do it. One of the problems I have with this "protest" on sports that are fundamentally team activities is the "my opinion" aspect of it. Think what you will about John Carlos and Tommie Smith, but even in the Olympics those were individual accomplishments and individual protests.

In Philly, when Malcolm Jenkins was planning to protest, he went to Pederson to inform him as the team coach that "the team" was planning to make the gesture, and asking him if the coaches would "join the team" in the protest. Pederson told him that he had no objection if the entire team joined in the protest, and he would speak with the coaches about participating if it was a team protest. Obviously, getting 45 guys to join anything was improbable, so Jenkins and two teammates did so by themselves. It is unreported if Pederson did or said anything.

While I could see Geno cautioning individual girls about considering the ramifications of their role as representatives of the university etc, I could see him giving it unspoken approval if the entire team did it in unison. If one or two of the girls then proceeded on their own, I could see it being a certain breaking of the faith with him, and there being some discipline. You know, you forfeited your right to ever be a team captain type of thing. But I think his "requirements" would always revolve around team unity.

Reaction Score
BUT THAT'S MY FIRST AMENDMENT RIGHT.
While at the same time showing respect for those who not shown certain "inalienable" rights guaranteed by our constitution. Which to me is the real sacred document. Stop attacking the messenger and just for a minute try to examine the message. I know this would require some self-examination, but that is what protests are for, especially one this well thought out.

The question boils down to who is the player representing? Themselves or the school/team? As a private citizen I can put signs on my front lawn for who I am voting for, however, in my classroom I cannot have just one candidates sign. To quote you, "BUT THAT'S MY FIRST AMENDMENT RIGHT".... People need to know and understand the constitution before the start using it as a basis to do whatever they want. Your rights can be limited. Your freedoms have limits. One of the reasons we have laws on the book.

Whereas I cannot put candidate propaganda in my classroom as it could be seen as being persuasive and an abuse of my power/authority..... is it not the same case with athletes and tv/movie stars misusing their celebrity? When I work I work for a school board. When Katie Lou (for example) plays she plays and represents the University of Connecticut. And IF I AM PAYING to attend a game it is a game I want to see... not your opinion or view.

Reaction Score
Personally I don't see Geno agreeing to this unless every one of the girls tells him they want to do it. One of the problems I have with this "protest" on sports that are fundamentally team activities is the "my opinion" aspect of it. Think what you will about John Carlos and Tommie Smith, but even in the Olympics those were individual accomplishments and individual protests.

In Philly, when Malcolm Jenkins was planning to protest, he went to Pederson to inform him as the team coach that "the team" was planning to make the gesture, and asking him if the coaches would "join the team" in the protest. Pederson told him that he had no objection if the entire team joined in the protest, and he would speak with the coaches about participating if it was a team protest. Obviously, getting 45 guys to join anything was improbable, so Jenkins and two teammates did so by themselves. It is unreported if Pederson did or said anything.

While I could see Geno cautioning individual girls about considering the ramifications of their role as representatives of the university etc, I could see him giving it unspoken approval if the entire team did it in unison. If one or two of the girls then proceeded on their own, I could see it being a certain breaking of the faith with him, and there being some discipline. You know, you forfeited your right to ever be a team captain type of thing. But I think his "requirements" would always revolve around team unity.

Except that, far from criticizing any athletes for their actions in these protests, Auriemma has consistently offered high praise. So I strongly doubt that, having praised Tina Charles, Swin Cash, and other former UConn players in the WNBA, he would then reverse himself and criticize or punish UConn players on his team today.

Another factor to consider is that black athletes he is recruiting will look closely at how he handles this issue. African-American high school athletes could very well balk at attending UConn or any other university whose coach criticizes or punishes a black athlete for taking part in a protest.

The athletes at Missouri declared that they would not play another game unless the university took a range of actions. The university caved. The WNBA caved in when the players union refused to pay the fines levied.

Wonder what lies in store for any white coach who attempts to silence black players protesting?

JordyG

Reaction Score
The question boils down to who is the player representing? Themselves or the school/team? As a private citizen I can put signs on my front lawn for who I am voting for, however, in my classroom I cannot have just one candidates sign. To quote you, "BUT THAT'S MY FIRST AMENDMENT RIGHT".... People need to know and understand the constitution before the start using it as a basis to do whatever they want. Your rights can be limited. Your freedoms have limits. One of the reasons we have laws on the book.

Whereas I cannot put candidate propaganda in my classroom as it could be seen as being persuasive and an abuse of my power/authority..... is it not the same case with athletes and tv/movie stars misusing their celebrity? When I work I work for a school board. When Katie Lou (for example) plays she plays and represents the University of Connecticut. And IF I AM PAYING to attend a game it is a game I want to see... not your opinion or view.
100%. As I recently told someone else, one of my favorite quotes in from George Gurdjieff who said "Freedom without responsibility is liberty, not license". Under that aegis there is no such thing, can be no such thing in a democratic republic as liberty. There is only license, and that license bears the onus of responsibility. One of those responsibilities is knowing what exactly is the license afforded us at any given moment, with every act we attempt. That, to me is the unique greatness of our constitution and of this country. By the way, as an aside he also said "A man will renounce any pleasures you like, but he will not give up his suffering".

Reaction Score
Wonder what lies in store for any white coach who attempts to silence black players protesting?

I would think/hope it would be the same for any coach, regardless of that coaches skin pigmentation (or the skin pigmentation of the protesters for that matter). There is no legitimate reason why it would not be. It will also not be the coaches decision, but someone much higher up the food chain.

Reaction Score
If you follow the huskies you know they have a strict code of conduct that they are required to follow. Letting the player(s) protest the anthem would go against everything Geno and C.D. have been preaching for the past 30 years. There is no mystery here - there will be no surprises.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taliekluv32

Top Bottom