Take-aways from the Houston game | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Take-aways from the Houston game

victor64

retired Ohio teacher
Reaction Score
Geno criticized them on SNY at the post game. Though we don't need to be the coach there was something to be said of his criticism, right? He did shrug it off I think saying one game isn't a big deal but if there were 5 like this he'd be concerned. So in some way the play was less than stellar, wasn't it? I will say in terms of offensive efficiency it was less than stellar considering the competition and that we were home.

If you look at efg% in terms of offensive execution- this was their 2nd worst performance when playing against teams from their conference as a comparison. The worst efg% was vs SMU but with SMU we were away from home and we also had 14 blocks and 13 steals which could be some form of measuring effort. So in that game effort seemed sterling.

But today, we were playing the worst team in the AAC / 2nd worst - playing them at home. It, the efg%, was still good at 54.05 -- but vs the worst team at home, you can expect better. However, just as many of us I think believe- this particular game in terms of less stellar efficiency vs such a weak team is no big deal. Anyhow, you did hear at halftime when Geno said he felt his team did nothing "well," right?

I did. Justine caught him in the heat of the moment. I also heard the post game when he was much calmer and had a chance to get some perspective. I am not quoting him exactly but he said something like what happened today was not part of a pattern. He actually blamed himself.

When you coached Hoop, did you get this concerned when your team won by 49? Ball movement and shooting percentage are certainly fixable issues. If he isn't worried why should we be?

Reaction Score
I did. Justine caught him in the heat of the moment. I also heard the post game when he was much calmer and had a chance to get some perspective. I am not quoting him exactly but he said something like what happened today was not part of a pattern. He actually blamed himself.

When you coached Hoop, did you get this concerned when your team won by 49? Ball movement and shooting percentage are certainly fixable issues. If he isn't worried why should we be?

I'm with you-- I'm not concerned. I said the following when I replied to you:

He did shrug it off I think saying one game isn't a big deal but if there were 5 like this he'd be concerned.

They just weren't as efficient as they normally are. He did keep them in the locker room - no shoot around to start the 2nd half. And I did think he was calm when he was interviewed. I thought something was off - but not a big deal.

If you thought when watching they were at the level they normally play to- we'll just have to agree to disagree. But I don't expect perfection. Geno can - it's his job. I used to get upset years ago when Geno would go off on Tina Charles. The further frustration was that the media treated his exaggerations in which he was a coach as gospel. He was just using the "worst post in America" formula. It should never have been taken literally but the media believed him literally and as a result even today some fans think it true that she was a major under-achiever her 1st two years because they heard both Geno and read the media. However, in reality, Tina was honorable mention a/a her frosh year, 3rd team a/a her soph year - and in jr year she was among the top ten in America. Just because she wasn't "perfect" the moment she stepped onto the court as a frosh doesn't mean she under-achieved. The expectations were too high for a freshman to be a superstar. And in today's game for anyone to make any negative big deal out of this game -- their expectation is out of whack with reality. You're not going to get a perfect game or a perfect player. And Sometimes your team doesn't play at the same efficiency game over game over game. The pros don't do it, so why should we expect college kids too? So I'm with you in that regard. I just thought they were a little off considering who their opponent was and that they were playing at home. But overall no big deal.

Reaction Score
Geno criticized them on SNY at the post game. Though we don't need to be the coach there was something to be said of his criticism, right? He did shrug it off I think saying one game isn't a big deal but if there were 5 like this he'd be concerned. So in some way the play was less than stellar, wasn't it? I will say in terms of offensive efficiency it was less than stellar considering the competition and that we were home.

If you look at efg% in terms of offensive execution- this was their 2nd worst performance when playing against teams from their conference as a comparison. The worst efg% was vs SMU but with SMU we were away from home and we also had 14 blocks and 13 steals which could be some form of measuring effort. So in that game effort seemed sterling.

But today, we were playing the worst team in the AAC / 2nd worst - playing them at home. It, the efg%, was still good at 54.05 -- but vs the worst team at home, you can expect better. However, just as many of us I think believe- this particular game in terms of less stellar efficiency vs such a weak team is no big deal. Anyhow, you did hear at halftime when Geno said he felt his team did nothing "well," right?

If you look at any championship team, any season, undefeated or not, there are times in 30+ games where you don't play your best. No team dominates every quarter of every game. There are always going to be highs and lows. You just want to peak come March at tournament time.
Obviously Houston wasn't there best game. What people sometimes forget is every time U Conn steps on the floor, they are going to get that team's very best effort regardless of their record. All those girls (and any team in D-1) were all-league, and maybe even all-state when they were in high school. I actually thought Houston played hard, particularly on defense, in the first half. In spite of the less-than-average performance, U Conn also held Houston to 6 total points for quite a long time.
I really think one more player (Crystal) will make a huge difference (as long as everyone else can stay on the floor-Lou, Gabby, and Kia have all been punched in the last week) and the team got the message today. Temple is a better team, it may be a closer game, but you will see a lot more energy and focus..

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
On the Curl plays ... I am pretty sure those are plays called from the bench, not by Lou, and they depend on typically all five players in a choreographed sequence. Lou is coming off a double screen with the ball moving at the same time to be on the opposite wing to make the pass to Lou as she clears that second screen. UConn does not run that many 'set plays' so the frequency of that play being run is not going to be very great and it is much more likely to show up in a competitive game when UConn might be struggling to score than in a game where the only struggle was getting kick-started in the 1st Q

Reaction Score
You need to actually read and comprehend what I said, instead of attempting to attack me on things I didn't say. You're the one who questioned why Lou hasn't run a curl in the last three games. I simply gave you an explanation or possible reason why. Please stop attempting to educate me on a game I've forgotten more about than you've learned.

Wbbfan1

And That’s The Way It Is
Reaction Score
Rather Watch an AAC game, then most SEC Games. While the So Carolina vs Miss St Game was a match up of two quality teams, the Basketball was UGLY. The only reason that game was watchable was because the closeness of the game and the teams involved. Give me an ACC, PAC 12 and yes an AAC game over most SEC Games.

The AAC is pathetic! It must next to impossible to get up for many of these games. Their style of play requires them to be totally in to reach their expectations and that is not possible although Gabby and Kia come close. I recall Stewie getting bench time for similar play:) One positive with these games is the playing time for Molly and Kyla which is how they will improve.

Reaction Score
If I had to guess, it appeared to me that Lou (at least) wasn't feeling well.

Glad to see that someone else has finally noticed this. Actually, they rarely pass to Lou when she's inside, could have a backdoor, or on numerous cuts through the key.

If they play the way they did today (except for Gabby), So. Carolina will eat their breakfast, lunch and dinner!
Could it be that Geno is holding back in anticipation of the S Carolina game? Why show all the cards in a game when they are not needed.

Reaction Score
"stupid"? Really? A number of people on this forum feel that Natalie needs to shed some old habits and improve her game, yes. But you might want to dial back your vocabulary. Nothing much helpful in that word choice.

You are correct as you implied I should have said: Natalie's penchant to dribble the ball among 3 small defenders ---was a very brilliant application of Basketball intelligence!! I'm sure those are the words YOU would have selected.

Papa33

Poster Emeritus
Reaction Score
You are correct as you implied I should have said: Natalie's penchant to dribble the ball among 3 small defenders ---was a very brilliant application of Basketball intelligence!! I'm sure those are the words YOU would have selected.

Sigh. No, not what I would have used. In fact, not what I did use when I tried to critique her problems a day or two ago on this forum. What I tried to do was offer constructive criticism of her problem of receiving passes in a balanced stance, where she didn't need to dribble to get a shot up. Note that yesterday, against Houston, she was able to pivot or set up her shot without dribbling. You seem to know something about basketball; why not frame your criticisms in more helpful terms?

Reaction Score
Gabby needs to touch the ball on every possession. 1st quarter Gabby showed her numbers with only one defender with the paint cleared out. Lou had an easy feed to her but nah, let me dribble around some and show my stuff. It doesn't matter who is gaurding Gabby. Give her the ball. She's on fire this year.

Reaction Score
Gabby needs to touch the ball on every possession. 1st quarter Gabby showed her numbers with only one defender with the paint cleared out. Lou had an easy feed to her but nah, let me dribble around some and show my stuff. It doesn't matter who is gaurding Gabby. Give her the ball. She's on fire this year.

Just--- Noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Reaction Score
Many posters have mentioned that EVERY TEAM, including professionals, have off days. Watch any Super Bowl or World Series.
What's amazing is that Geno and staff can get his team into high gear almost every game in the season. Many posters stated that Lou and others looked tired. As a track coach there are periods of high intensity training where you run/play tired and then taper off into the Championships Period. We know Geno is legend for his practices. This group looks like they are feeling those practices. Yes, this is a young group with only one senior in the rotation. Lou and Pheese have stated numerous times that they were not as strong as others. Also, notice that Gabby and Kia are the fierce and formidable physical players into the second half. Gabby was trained as a world class runner/jumper and Kia has a physical background of playing or being around hockey. IMHO, a few players on the team are a little weary. I believe that Geno and staff will make the adjustments when necessary without my or others advice. Remember, Geno and Diana also talked about how the practices changed in early March and the tapering begins along with the mental/emotional confidence building. Heavy training is still on the schedule for most of February.
Tear down now--build up to a PEAK when it's most needed. Just my two cents.

Reaction Score
Glad to see that someone else has finally noticed this. Actually, they rarely pass to Lou when she's inside, could have a backdoor, or on numerous cuts through the key.

If they play the way they did today (except for Gabby), So. Carolina will eat their breakfast, lunch and dinner![/QUOTE]

Here is what I was speaking of in another post that makes Lou a great passer (and which she does not always get in return.) When someone else cuts or is in position, Lou passes the ball in a perfect spot and on time. The ball is in her hand for a split second and the receiver gets it on time and in the ideal place.

That said, yesterday she had a post position on a smaller player and they (Kia often) just swung the ball the other way. Lou had 5-6 inches on her opponent.

Reaction Score
Just--- Noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Only for a touch, why such a long no? She is the center for God sake. She can do mostly everything. Why not at least a touch? Pleeeeeeeease!!!!!

Reaction Score

Slowdown.... They were playing Houston. Gabby is awesome but let's not make her Hakeem the dream Olajuwon on offense. She still can't hit the outside shot consistently. Since I got some push back after saying that I have been watching closer the last few games against inferior competition and she misses it most of the time... and she is wide open.

Also anyone will tell you that every coach plans for Lou first, even Geno has said that many times. Geno also said Lou is pretty much the player they run plays for. To game plan for Gabby is #1 stop dribble drive (which will help with her assists) and #2 keep her off offense glass. Both are hard to execute on but not plan for....

Reaction Score
Don't agree with many here on Kyla. This wasn't a good she played against. She is very slow in the post. She can't be relied on to defend. Molly can at least play D. From the bench for the 8th player coming off of it- you want "defense" for the most part for this team imo. We can score usually.

I agree with you for the most part but would say that compared to how bad (really terrible) Kyla was earlier on defense she has made some strides to improve. Basically she now boxes out to rebound and is atleast in the general area for defense... LOL

Don't underestimate her potential. Dolsen, who grew up close to me, was not the swiftess of players, especially year one.

Reaction Score
Only for a touch, why such a long no? She is the center for God sake. She can do mostly everything. Why not at least a touch? Pleeeeeeeease!!!!!

So Lou is wide open for a 3-- so now all of a sudden you want UCONN to change their offense and not let the probably 1st team all-american take a wide open 3 so you can make a pass to Gabby?

Nurse is 2nd on the team in assists, she sees Collier having a good low post position. So she can't make the pass to Collier because Gabby hasn't touched the ball?

Lou runs a curl. When she runs a curl it is mainly designed for her to shoot. So in this case only Gabby, and not the guards are capable of making passes? You realize that UCONN has 2 / 3 other all-american caliber player's on the team other than Gabby too, right? And two guards have a better assist to turnover ratio. So you want to take away what has been "balance" and focus on giving the ball to one player? You don't think Nurse, Lou and Collier are capable enough to make plays on their own without the ball going to Gabby once?

You know - Scottie Pippen was a more complete player than Shaq. If they were on the same team- just because Pippen was able to do more variety of things doesn't make him "better."

And your comment about the center? What does that mean? - 1st off I'm not sure she is the center. She is the pf but not that it matters. She is like a point power forward but it's not like she is the dominant passer. Nurse has a lot of assists too and has a better assist to turnover ratio. Secondly, the UCONN team is shooting .419 from 3. They have an efg% of 62.86%. So whenever they are open - they aren't allowed to shoot unless Gabby touches the ball once?

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I agree with you for the most part but would say that compared to how bad (really terrible) Kyla was earlier on defense she has made some strides to improve. Basically she now boxes out to rebound and is atleast in the general area for defense... LOL

Don't underestimate her potential. Dolson, who grew up close to me, was not the swiftess of players, especially year one.

In h/s Dolson was regarded as the best center in her class. And that was for a reason. With the combination of her size and whatever quickness she had - she was far superior to what Kyla has. I don't agree with your comparison between the two. And Kyla can make "tiny strides" -- but in order to get minutes in big games imo she can't be relied upon to defend. At least what I see right now. Dolson could at least block some shots and intimidate in the paint. Kyla has zero blocked shots for the year and imo still doesn't seem quick enough to be much of a help defender thus far. The strides you see imo aren't enough. Again-- unless her offense turns into something really special then you can have that type of tradeoff for a bench player.

Reaction Score
In h/s Dolson was regarded as the best center in her class. And that was for a reason. With the combination of her size and whatever quickness she had - she was far superior to what Kyla has. I don't agree with your comparison between the two. And Kyla can make "tiny strides" -- but in order to get minutes in big games imo she can't be relied upon to defend. At least what I see right now. Dolson could at least block some shots and intimidate in the paint. Kyla has zero blocked shots for the year and imo still doesn't seem quick enough to be much of a help defender thus far. The strides you see imo aren't enough. Again-- unless her offense turns into something really special then you can have that type of tradeoff for a bench player.

All I said was that Dolson was not the swiftess, in no way was I trying to compare their games, only that she can still be a good player even though she is not as gifted athletically as others.

Reaction Score
All I said was that Dolson was not the swiftess, in no way was I trying to compare their games, only that she can still be a good player even though she is not as gifted athletically as others.

I see- but still don't see why you mentioned those two to make a point. They are almost night and day. Not all slow players are the same. Just because I said imo Kyla at this point can't contribute until her defense gets better / she needs to be quicker-- I don't see how using Dolson as a comparison counters what I said? Dolson had the size and was quick enough since day one. You had told me not to underestimate Kyla by using Dolson as an example. I don't agree with that comparison - that's what I was saying. I never knew how great Dolson would be but overall the moment UCONN got her and I saw videos I expected she was going to be very good. I didn't know how great. With Kyla I don't have the expectation of playing in big games until I see her aggressively grabbing rebounds and playing physically tough. A player with her size boxing out imo is similar to player learning how to shoot a layup. If you are a scholarshp player with the size Kyla has, eventually I know she can learn how to box out-- but might never vs elite competition. It's taking the next step. I thought too many were focused on her offense - because she hit a few shots.

Reaction Score
I see- but still don't see why you mentioned those two to make a point. They are almost night and day. Not all slow players are the same. Just because I said imo Kyla at this point can't contribute until her defense gets better / she needs to be quicker-- I don't see how using Dolson as a comparison counters what I said? Dolson had the size and was quick enough since day one. You had told me not to underestimate Kyla by using Dolson as an example. I don't agree with that comparison - that's what I was saying. I never knew how great Dolson would be but overall the moment UCONN got her and I saw videos I expected she was going to be very good. I didn't know how great. With Kyla I don't have the expectation of playing in big games until I see her aggressively grabbing rebounds and playing physically tough. A player with her size boxing out imo is similar to player learning how to shoot a layup. If you are a scholarshp player with the size Kyla has, eventually I know she can learn how to box out-- but might never vs elite competition. It's taking the next step. I thought too many were focused on her offense - because she hit a few shots.

Not arguing or disagreeing with your points. I will be more precise in the future in what I am stating.

I see her having the ability to be impactful down the road, yesterday was just a positive step in the right direction compared to other showings.

Reaction Score
Slowdown.... They were playing Houston. Gabby is awesome but let's not make her Hakeem the dream Olajuwon on offense. She still can't hit the outside shot consistently. Since I got some push back after saying that I have been watching closer the last few games against inferior competition and she misses it most of the time... and she is wide open.

Also anyone will tell you that every coach plans for Lou first, even Geno has said that many times. Geno also said Lou is pretty much the player they run plays for. To game plan for Gabby is #1 stop dribble drive (which will help with her assists) and #2 keep her off offense glass. Both are hard to execute on but not plan for....
I notice her outside shot has gone off too. I don't suggest Gabby shoot it everytime she touches it but let her feel the ball to give her confidence and maybe her outside shot will come back. Her outside shot helped in the biggest games of the early season and she had a lot of confidence shooting it. UConn has very streaky outside shooters. If she touches it near the rim, then she should always look for the shot which she does.

Reaction Score
So Lou is wide open for a 3-- so now all of a sudden you want UCONN to change their offense and not let the probably 1st team all-american take a wide open 3 so you can make a pass to Gabby?

Nurse is 2nd on the team in assists, she sees Collier having a good low post position. So she can't make the pass to Collier because Gabby hasn't touched the ball?

Lou runs a curl. When she runs a curl it is mainly designed for her to shoot. So in this case only Gabby, and not the guards are capable of making passes? You realize that UCONN has 2 / 3 other all-american caliber player's on the team other than Gabby too, right? And two guards have a better assist to turnover ratio. So you want to take away what has been "balance" and focus on giving the ball to one player? You don't think Nurse, Lou and Collier are capable enough to make plays on their own without the ball going to Gabby once?

You know - Scottie Pippen was a more complete player than Shaq. If they were on the same team- just because Pippen was able to do more variety of things doesn't make him "better."

And your comment about the center? What does that mean? - 1st off I'm not sure she is the center. She is the pf but not that it matters. She is like a point power forward but it's not like she is the dominant passer. Nurse has a lot of assists too and has a better assist to turnover ratio. Secondly, the UCONN team is shooting .419 from 3. They have an efg% of 62.86%. So whenever they are open - they aren't allowed to shoot unless Gabby touches the ball once?
UConn believes in moving the ball. Let Gabby touch it and always be part of the flow. Majic Johnson always made sure everyone touched the ball if only briefly. Her scoring ability is great near the rim and she should shoot it there. Gabby is also a great passer. I garuntee she will pass the ball back to the correct player. Kia has more than enough opportunity running the offense so nothing is lost there. Gabby does play the center position even if she is 5'11". It doesn't matter what label she carries. Guess who gaurds the post on February 13? Of coarse she will need help.

Reaction Score
UConn believes in moving the ball. Let Gabby touch it and always be part of the flow. Majic Johnson always made sure everyone touched the ball if only briefly. Her scoring ability is great near the rim and she should shoot it there. Gabby is also a great passer. I garuntee she will pass the ball back to the correct player. Kia has more than enough opportunity running the offense so nothing is lost there. Gabby does play the center position even if she is 5'11". It doesn't matter what label she carries. Guess who gaurds the post on February 13? Of coarse she will need help.

I'm sorry but your points -- I just don't want to say-- just sooo wrong. You want to only allow your favorite player to determine where the ball goes -- and now all of sudden Gabby is Magic. You want a 11 time champion coach known for sharing the ball in his offense - to change his offense all because you like how Gabby plays more than the other super players on this team. We're undefeated this year by running oru offense a certain way- now all of a sudden because you love her game- the all-time great HOF coach should change his entire offense. C'mon!!!! e

And let's stay on topic please. Our discussion was about the offense- now all of a sudden you are throwing defense at me? Where did that come from? I replied to you about yoru comment on allowing Gabby to touch the ball eveyr time on OFFENSE. What does her defense have to do with our conversation?

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom