Take-aways from the Houston game | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Take-aways from the Houston game

Reaction Score
Well....for a first post that was brutally blunt. I think you put into words what a lot of people are thinking but there is a tendency on this board to be very optimistic and supportive of all the players. It is really gratifying to see the incremental progress our younger players are making but as you say, there are going to be 14 kids on the bench next year, a few new highly rated ones, and minutes will be doled out based on practice performance.
Don't bury Kyla and Molly yet. There is no guarantee that the "new highly rated ones" will bring it in practice every day.

Shorty Dee

Number 1 UConn fan
Reaction Score
Another record was broken this game. Napheesa and Lou became the highest scoring back court. Napheesa and Lou, broke Maya and Tiffany record.

If this team has targeted Maya's team to beat, I say keep doing what you are doing.

I love this team. To keep motivated they are going after records to break (UConn) and become the best team in UConn's history. This team will not be denied.

Another correction. Napheesa and Lou became the highest scoring Duo, not back court in UCONN's history. I was so excited, again I apologize for the misinformation.

Reaction Score
My one reaction -- and I don't know how relevant it is -- is that over the years, the last 2, 3 or 4 players off the bench would go out there and play would, in essence, grind to a halt. 'Way back when, I remember cheering on Missy Rose on the rare occasions when she would get into a game, or a favorite of my daughter's and mine, Marci Czel. These were players with a certain amount of talent who simply could not compete with the Lobos, Taurasis and Cashes for meaningful minutes. And when they would trickle into the game, the quality of play often went to near-zero. And folks would complain about the quality of their play when those players simply could not keep up.

I'm afraid Bedford has a point. It's great that Kyla is getting better, and Molly, too. But the rate at which they will improve between now and the start of next year may be too slow to allow them meaningful minutes, especially in big games. But IMHO, the issue is not, as Bedford suggests, that UConn recruits ordinary players. It would be a problem if UConn recruited ordinary players and promised them extraordinary things -- and I'm certain Geno and staff don't do that. What sometimes happens is that players who after a year believe they will be underutilized because of more talented teammates sometimes decide to transfer. Others decide that they prefer a supporting role on a championship team.

Reaction Score
I had one other reaction to the Houston game, and it had to do with the number of layups UConn missed, especially early in the game. I was reminded of the Geno Show video in which he said missed layups are what drive him crazy the most. The second was remembering years ago a couple of years worth of teams -- 2003-2005 come to mind, when players routinely missed bunnies and those of us in the stands would be going out of our minds.

Reaction Score
I sometimes think it is not a bad plan, if a player finds in their sophomore year that they are not likely to crack the rotation for meaningful minutes, to reassess. You might elect to stay due to the friends you have made, a liking for the school and being part of a championship program. Or you might choose to transfer. You have had two years of The Best coaching. Now you can choose a school to further your academic goals and get a year of less pressure to further them, followed by two more years on scholarship (Which may get you well on your way towards a Masters). And you get to use your more developed skills with playing time on your new team.

Reaction Score
I don't know what you guys are looking at. I really like all these kids but this is Connecticut not a mid major. Playing at the end of a game against the end of the bench of a mediocre team isn't a measure of anything relevant to the big games that are coming up. Kyla won't replace Butler even with Nat's limitations. That's silly. Relatively slow 6 footers are over matched in the top 25. Molly might wake up, she might not. You have to be great not simply competent to get minutes in a real game. I think it's unfair, recruiting ordinary players for the CT bench. The new kids will move right past them next year. Everybody is the same in God's eyes but not on the court. Geno will play only 7 players in the big games and hope the refs don't foul them out.
Welcome to the Board!

I don't entirely agree. Geno does evaluate his bench talent playing against other team's bench talent. Often, it's harder to play with your own fellow benchers than with the starters and if you play hard and end up making the plays you're supposed to make, that's what he wants. In fact, Geno threw Molly and Kyla in for the final 3 minutes of the first half against Baylor and they acquitted themselves okay--by which I mean UConn didn't get outscored.

Molly certainly wasn't an "ordinary player" in the eyes of the coaches. If you know her recruiting history, you will appreciate that they were all excited that she was (and will be) a real sleeper--Geno's called her a Kelly Ferris-type player, which is super-high praise. And Kyla is the daughter of 2 coaches and knows the game. It will take them some time to reach their potential--whatever that will be--but it's an extremely hard system to learn at UConn (full switching man-to-man defense; read-and-react motion offense), and, once they learn it, they'll show us what they can do.

To those who despair about how the bench is playing, I believe it was Nan (if someone else, I apologize) who just the other day reminded us of last year's dreadful Cincinnati game, where Geno started the benchers and they proceeded to stink things up. We all despaired. I believe those benchers included Gabby and Pheesaa, and IIRC, Lou was part of that starting team. Too bad they all didn't transfer somewhere else when they had a chance....

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I don't know what you guys are looking at. I really like all these kids but this is Connecticut not a mid major. Playing at the end of a game against the end of the bench of a mediocre team isn't a measure of anything relevant to the big games that are coming up. Kyla won't replace Butler even with Nat's limitations. That's silly. Relatively slow 6 footers are over matched in the top 25. Molly might wake up, she might not. You have to be great not simply competent to get minutes in a real game. I think it's unfair, recruiting ordinary players for the CT bench. The new kids will move right past them next year. Everybody is the same in God's eyes but not on the court. Geno will play only 7 players in the big games and hope the refs don't foul them out.

I don't understand what the bold means. I can only guess. You think it bad that Molly and Kyla came to UConn? You think they felt confident that they'd play continually in big games from the start?

And I'm not so sure about next year just 7. Though we might blow out many of the top teams so that can be muddled. I think 8 - barring injury. With the 9th being on the cusp.

Reaction Score
The AAC is pathetic! It must next to impossible to get up for many of these games. Their style of play requires them to be totally in to reach their expectations and that is not possible although Gabby and Kia come close. I recall Stewie getting bench time for similar play:) One positive with these games is the playing time for Molly and Kyla which is how they will improve.

Reaction Score
If you missed the game and saw the box score and outcome you would think another fine UConn performance. I believe Geno was upset because of the slow start and first quarter, and this was due to Lou and Phese not at their normal outstanding level.

Concerning Molly, who I admit I like due to her Cape Cod roots, is only a freshman and in my mind the only thing missing is her drive to score. This can be corrected and I feel their is a better than even chance that she plays at a Kelly Ferris (yes Kelly Ferris) type level by second half of next season. Now will this level of play put her in the top 7 given the team we will have next year?

I can't remember Crystal's play other than basically winning the Baylor game, so I am not sure how she will fit in the flow of UConn's offense which has since developed with 4 consistent scorers. (Since Baylor both Kia and Phese have found their groves.) Crystal has a different skill set than anyone else on the team and how they fit with team play is still a question for me. Geno believes she is a key piece for the tourney and I hope her recovery and getting into game shape goes smoothly.

If she has a set back and Kia or SC are in early foul trouble I don't think there would be a big drop off with Molly out there assuming she gets a bit more settled offensively over the next 9/10 games. Color me a New England homer.

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
I think this is the third game in a row where Lou has not run a curl. Maybe I'm wrong, but for the last three she certainly hasn't run more than one per game, and that shot had become money for her and the team. This means a few things to me. Running constant curls takes energy. It's easier to stand outside and shoot or drive off the dribble. Outside you also take fewer bumps and bruises. It means your teammates play a less dynamic game with less movement, screens, and pick and rolls. It's a harder shot to make as well. It means when you play the tougher defensive teams like Baylor that shot may not drop for you and your teammates may be out of sync with their sets and rotations. Lou is not the type that can consistently create her own shot. This all may be problematic down the road.

Kibitzer

Sky Soldier
Reaction Score
Everybody is the same in God's eyes but not on the court. Geno will play only 7 players in the big games and hope the refs don't foul them out.

Reminds me of an old adage:

"God made men all different sizes but Sam Colt made them all equal.";)

Reaction Score
- Lou disappointed me for the first time this year and it's not the misses. I think Lou and Pheese were the two most guilty or just "showing up.". It's hard to pin point but the level of concentration/sharpness is the best way i can put it.

If I had to guess, it appeared to me that Lou (at least) wasn't feeling well.

- On Lou's behalf I felt there were a number of times she called for ball down low with smaller defender in first half and they did not pass it to her. I mention this because she will typically, almost always, have a height advantage so they should target this more. I have seen them do it well at times throughout year too but not exploiting it as much as I think they can.

Glad to see that someone else has finally noticed this. Actually, they rarely pass to Lou when she's inside, could have a backdoor, or on numerous cuts through the key.

If they play the way they did today (except for Gabby), So. Carolina will eat their breakfast, lunch and dinner!

donalddoowop

Who put the Bop in the Bop Shoo Bop?
Reaction Score
Don't agree with many here on Kyla. This wasn't a good she played against. She is very slow in the post. She can't be relied on to defend. Molly can at least play D. From the bench for the 8th player coming off of it- you want "defense" for the most part for this team imo. We can score usually.
There has to be a starting point where a player starts to play well. This may have been it for Kyla. You complain that her defense is weak as if she can't improve and her freshman year is only two thirds over. She showed some offense today yet you complain about her defense. Molly plays good defense yet people complain about her offense. Some people on this board ARE spoiled. To say as a matter of fact that a player will NOT get better is not wise because no one knows but, I understand that is your opinion. Who thought Gabby would be as good as she is now based on her freshman play or Farris based on hers? Imo, I believe Irwin would be more productive playing outside on offense and inside on defense. She blocks out well and can rebound. She has a good shot from fifteen feet on out. With her basketball background I believe she will eventually come into her own. There is no guarantee all of next seasons freshmen will learn the Uconn system well enough to satisfy the coaches to gain meaningful minutes. Also, Collier must be one special player to receive so much criticism after getting another double double.

donalddoowop

Who put the Bop in the Bop Shoo Bop?
Reaction Score
If I had to guess, it appeared to me that Lou (at least) wasn't feeling well.

Glad to see that someone else has finally noticed this. Actually, they rarely pass to Lou when she's inside, could have a backdoor, or on numerous cuts through the key.

If they play the way they did today (except for Gabby), So. Carolina will eat their breakfast, lunch and dinner!
Not if they score over 80 points.

Reaction Score
I think this is the third game in a row where Lou has not run a curl. Maybe I'm wrong, but for the last three she certainly hasn't run more than one per game, and that shot had become money for her and the team. This means a few things to me. Running constant curls takes energy. It's easier to stand outside and shoot or drive off the dribble. Outside you also take fewer bumps and bruises. It means your teammates play a less dynamic game with less movement, screens, and pick and rolls. It's a harder shot to make as well. It means when you play the tougher defensive teams like Baylor that shot may not drop for you and your teammates may be out of sync with their sets and rotations. Lou is not the type that can consistently create her own shot. This all may be problematic down the road.

Good point, except in order to effectively run the curl, a teammate must be counted on to participate. When this doesn't happen consistently (and it doesn't) it could be she just gives up on it. Or, maybe their just trying to keep this under wraps for games when it might be really needed. I do agree that Lou seems to not have great energy at times. She's looked that way to me the entire season. However, don't think for a minute that she's not capable of creating her own shot consistently. Keep in mind that she's playing on a super team with other great players who want to show their stuff as well.

JordyG

Reaction Score
Good point, except in order to effectively run the curl, a teammate must be counted on to participate. When this doesn't happen consistently (and it doesn't) it could be she just gives up on it. Or, maybe their just trying to keep this under wraps for games when it might be really needed. I do agree that Lou seems to not have great energy at times. She's looked that way to me the entire season. However, don't think for a minute that she's not capable of creating her own shot consistently. Keep in mind that she's playing on a super team with other great players who want to show their stuff as well.
Actually she hasn't attempted curls in order to fail and give up on it. The teams UConn's been playing just haven't been good enough to stop her from getting off her shots so she's said, why bother? Also watch again the USF game and how they came out on their first offensive trip. The pace they played at in USF's end hasn't been matched in any game at anytime since. Lou ran curl after curl, everyone was in constant motion and everyone got easy after easy shots. In order to beat the better teams that's going to be necessary trip after trip for 4 quarters.

Reaction Score
The stats just do not reinforce that they play was less than stellar.
Consider:

1. 49 point spread
2. Scored six more than their average of 85.
3. 29 assists
4. 5 in double figures
5. Two with more than 10 rebounds
6. "Just" 40% from 3 and "just" 49% from the field.
7. Other than a poke in the eye, no significant injuries.

No doubt the bar is set way too high. So they might have been a little bored against a bad Houston team. Still a really productive day.
Everybody should memorize this.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
The bench played OK, but everyone coming off the bench is limited to some degree. Geno indicated as much in his post game presser. He also indicated they miss Crystal.

Crystal is back on Weds, although her minutes will be limited. The Huskies absolutely need her to be the energizer bunny off the bench. Crystal is the only reserve the Huskies have who is capable of taking over a game.

Everyone looks at the Baylor game as an example of what Crystal can do. IMO, look at the Dayton game. 9 assists, a couple steals and 1 TO. Crystal showed explosive, Mo-like, speed. Subsequently, she played more conservatively, due in part to the inflammation in her foot.

The Huskies have been great this season, but IMO in order to hang their 12th banner, Crystal will need to be a difference maker come tourney time.

Reaction Score
Actually she hasn't attempted curls in order to fail and give up on it. The teams UConn's been playing just haven't been good enough to stop her from getting off her shots so she's said, why bother? Also watch again the USF game and how they came out on their first offensive trip. The pace they played at in USF's end hasn't been matched in any game at anytime since. Lou ran curl after curl, everyone was in constant motion and everyone got easy after easy shots. In order to beat the better teams that's going to be necessary trip after trip for 4 quarters.

You need to actually read and comprehend what I said, instead of attempting to attack me on things I didn't say. You're the one who questioned why Lou hasn't run a curl in the last three games. I simply gave you an explanation or possible reason why. Please stop attempting to educate me on a game I've forgotten more about than you've learned.

Papa33

Poster Emeritus
Reaction Score
Fairness and you are correct--not as much--but it is still infuriating to see it happen--because it is just plain stupid--to do in the midst of 3 small guards--bounce it on their heads??

"stupid"? Really? A number of people on this forum feel that Natalie needs to shed some old habits and improve her game, yes. But you might want to dial back your vocabulary. Nothing much helpful in that word choice.

JordyG

Reaction Score
You need to actually read and comprehend what I said, instead of attempting to attack me on things I didn't say. You're the one who questioned why Lou hasn't run a curl in the last three games. I simply gave you an explanation or possible reason why. Please stop attempting to educate me on a game I've forgotten more about than you've learned.
I'm sorry you read my answer as an attack. It wasn't meant at all to be so. Especially since you started your reply with "Good point". I"m sorry you took it so. It was meant to be a furtherance of my thoughts on the subject. Perhaps I'm also guilty of thinking out loud. For that too I apologize.

Tonyc

Optimus Prime
Reaction Score
This is a game we dont understand as fans. Our team had an off nite for now. Temple is next and they should be up for that game we will see if they are and if they're not then Geno has some work to do. No fears yet we will out talent and out execute til the Final 4.

Bottom line is UConn is to good to not to play well enough to win. Dont worry about this game. Teams go up and down and this team has been up for a very long time. Im not worried.

Reaction Score
There has to be a starting point where a player starts to play well. This may have been it for Kyla. You complain that her defense is weak as if she can't improve and her freshman year is only two thirds over. She showed some offense today yet you complain about her defense. Molly plays good defense yet people complain about her offense. Some people on this board ARE spoiled. To say as a matter of fact that a player will NOT get better is not wise because no one knows but, I understand that is your opinion. Who thought Gabby would be as good as she is now based on her freshman play or Farris based on hers? Imo, I believe Irwin would be more productive playing outside on offense and inside on defense. She blocks out well and can rebound. She has a good shot from fifteen feet on out. With her basketball background I believe she will eventually come into her own. There is no guarantee all of next seasons freshmen will learn the Uconn system well enough to satisfy the coaches to gain meaningful minutes. Also, Collier must be one special player to receive so much criticism after getting another double double.

We can agree to disagree to a point. My post reflected this year-- and what she needs to do for future years - imo. You say "There has to be a starting point where a player starts to play well." It is my opinion - absolutely- and imo her offensive showing "isn't the start." Her offensive improvement because she hits a few shots which may be a big help to this team going forward is an illusion. Other players are better than her offensively. Her offense - to rely on it as a freshmen with her talent-- though talented to a point that it may be- is not what this team needs. This team is stacked offensively. I think you even mentioned how well the team scored on this thread. IMO the starting point for Kyla begins when you see her become quicker on defense and very tough. Right now I don't see it. Unless you tell me she is about to transform into an offensive weapon hybrid Collier/Lou/Gabby -- with Kyla imo everything in terms of future important minutes for this team needs must come from her defense. Sticking an occasional 3 is nice but defense is far more important for her and this team imo.

Reaction Score
The stats just do not reinforce that they play was less than stellar.
Consider:

1. 49 point spread
2. Scored six more than their average of 85.
3. 29 assists
4. 5 in double figures
5. Two with more than 10 rebounds
6. "Just" 40% from 3 and "just" 49% from the field.
7. Other than a poke in the eye, no significant injuries.

No doubt the bar is set way too high. So they might have been a little bored against a bad Houston team. Still a really productive day.

Geno criticized them on SNY at the post game. Though we don't need to be the coach there was something to be said of his criticism, right? He did shrug it off I think saying one game isn't a big deal but if there were 5 like this he'd be concerned. So in some way the play was less than stellar, wasn't it? I will say in terms of offensive efficiency it was less than stellar considering the competition and that we were home.

If you look at efg% in terms of offensive execution- this was their 2nd worst performance when playing against teams from their conference as a comparison. The worst efg% was vs SMU but with SMU we were away from home and we also had 14 blocks and 13 steals which could be some form of measuring effort. So in that game effort seemed sterling.

But today, we were playing the worst team in the AAC / 2nd worst - playing them at home. It, the efg%, was still good at 54.05 -- but vs the worst team at home, you can expect better. However, just as many of us I think believe- this particular game in terms of less stellar efficiency vs such a weak team is no big deal. Anyhow, you did hear at halftime when Geno said he felt his team did nothing "well," right?

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom