T-Sam | The Boneyard

T-Sam

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
A lot of people predicted that Omar would be the man left out of the rotation, but I'm starting to think it will be T-Sam.

T-Sam hasn't played very well so far this year, but this is more about his skill set than what he's done so far, since its way too early to base anything off of two games. He simply doesn't bring anything to the team that we don't already have. His greatest asset is his ability to get to the hole, but we have plenty of guys that can do that. That ability is way down on our list of immediate needs. We need more shooters, and while admittedly Omar isn't a great one, he appears to be a much more capable shooter than Samuel.

Its only 4 games in (including exhibitions), but Samuel only has one assist so far, which is very surprising and disappointing. His defense has been ok, but nothing special. We will probably use his primarily to spell Boat for a few minutes here and there, but it seems like Ollie may prefer Cassell for that role with Purvis playing the 2. Purvis and T-Sam has very similar skill sets, but Purvis is a little bit more dynamic and well rounded and has a slightly better shooting stroke.

I'm looking forward to seeing what Omar can do when he comes back, and I wouldn't be surprised to see him play more minutes than some people expect. I also wouldn't be surprised to see him pass T-Sam on the depth chart.

Reaction Score
we're really talking about guys not having a role after 2 games? TSam went from not in the rotation to closing out games for a title team in a few tournament games last season, its a LONG season, pump the brakes. Plus I don't agree with the defense comment, he wiped out that guy for Bryant in the 2nd half after he was killing from 3 in the 1st half.

Reaction Score
Not a complete assessment. TSam plays the 2nd best defense on the team besides Boat. He is tenacious, forces ball handlers to do something they are uncomfortable doing. I agree I'd like to see his offensive game improve, but he is a SPARK off the bench whenever we need him. He comes in, makes a defensive stop, and sometimes can get to the hole for a hoop or 2. He's fine.

UChusky916

Making the board a little less insufferable
Reaction Score
we're really talking about guys not having a role after 2 games? TSam went from not in the rotation to closing out games for a title team in a few tournament games last season, its a LONG season, pump the brakes.

Not only was this moron saying T-Sam woudn't have a role on this team after 2 games... he's saying T-Sam won't have a role because of a player who hasn't stepped foot on the floor yet this year due to injury. :confused::rolleyes:

This board is getting worse and worse by the day. goshdarn.

Silk31

Foot Stays on Gas
Reaction Score
And what has been wrong with TSam's play thus far this season?...in fact I think he deserves more minutes

Reaction Score
I thought T-Sam played alright but besides AB, RB and DH who has played well in the game. Nobody. The one problem I do have with T-Sam is his dribble at the top of the key is very shaky. He dribbles too high at times and tends to turn over the ball. I can't believe his handle didn't get much better from last year. Dham or sam I am have the second and third best handles after RB.

CTBasketball

Former Owner of the Pizza Thread
Reaction Score
TSam is our 2nd best defender and the only guard who wants to drive besides Boat (and occasionally DHam). That alone means he'll keep his minutes.

In addition, he's playing good too. Not bad, not great. But good. If he gives us 15-20 minutes of high-pressure D, like 5 pts, and a few dimes that is great. Had a few unfortunate TO's today though, can't blame that all on him.

Reaction Score
we're really talking about guys not having a role after 2 games? TSam went from not in the rotation to closing out games for a title team in a few tournament games last season, its a LONG season, pump the brakes. Plus I don't agree with the defense comment, he wiped out that guy for Bryant in the 2nd half after he was killing from 3 in the 1st half.

Did you read the post? I said its more about his skills than how he's played.

Last year we had a ton of shooters. We needed another ball handler down the stretch and he was the most capable. This year we have plenty of ball handlers and few (if any) real shooters. He doesn't fill that need, hence the prediction. Why is that so hard to understand? I'm not disparaging T-Sam. He's a good player. He just may be down on the rotation given his skill set and the fact that it overlaps with a lot of other guys on the team.

UChusky916

Making the board a little less insufferable
Reaction Score
And we haven't lost a game yet lol

I'll be no where around when that happens. This place will be a cesspool.

Reaction Score
Not only was this moron saying T-Sam woudn't have a role on this team after 2 games... he's saying T-Sam won't have a role because of a player who hasn't stepped foot on the floor yet this year due to injury. :confused::rolleyes:

This board is getting worse and worse by the day. goshdarn.

You're an idiot. I clearly state that this isn't based on how he has played after two games but rather the skills that each brings to the table. But clearly you are too dumb to figure that out.

Edit: I wrote a long response, with further highlights my initial point (which has plenty of rational) but you clearly have no ability to read and comprehend something, so I deleted it due to your stupidity.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
He's never going to be a point guard. Never, ever, never.

But as a sixth or seventh man coming off the bench, he's going to be hell on wheels as an upperclassman.

H

huskymagic

A lot of people predicted that Omar would be the man left out of the rotation, but I'm starting to think it will be T-Sam.

T-Sam hasn't played very well so far this year, but this is more about his skill set than what he's done so far, since its way too early to base anything off of two games. He simply doesn't bring anything to the team that we don't already have. His greatest asset is his ability to get to the hole, but we have plenty of guys that can do that. That ability is way down on our list of immediate needs. We need more shooters, and while admittedly Omar isn't a great one, he appears to be a much more capable shooter than Samuel.

Its only 4 games in (including exhibitions), but Samuel only has one assist so far, which is very surprising and disappointing. His defense has been ok, but nothing special. We will probably use his primarily to spell Boat for a few minutes here and there, but it seems like Ollie may prefer Cassell for that role with Purvis playing the 2. Purvis and T-Sam has very similar skill sets, but Purvis is a little bit more dynamic and well rounded and has a slightly better shooting stroke.

I'm looking forward to seeing what Omar can do when he comes back, and I wouldn't be surprised to see him play more minutes than some people expect. I also wouldn't be surprised to see him pass T-Sam on the depth chart.

T-Sam is a very good college player who has already proven himself to UCONN as a freshman. This post makes no sense as Samuels has been solid and has given us fans and UCONN as a team exactly what is expected of him: solid attacking the basket, defending multiple positions well, and bringing a positive energy to the team. T-Sam's body awareness when he drives to the basket is not something many player have, and his ability to defend smartly and effectively is also very difficult to teach. You either have it or you don't and T-Sam has it. ONIONS.

Reaction Score
I wasn't sure on TSam but after 2 games I am sure he has a spot, and an important one at times, in this rotation. Tough kid, can get to the hole and plays solid defense. Needs to make better decisions when driving sometime and as Fishy stated, because of that will not be a true PG in the near future. But he's a UConn-Kid and will get good PT.

Reaction Score
I don't necessarily agree with the OP, but his opinion isn't unreasonable so I'm not sure why he's taking so much heat. It isn't like he was bashing the kid, he acknowledged that Samuel was a good player. I think it's true that Samuel and Purvis' skillsets can be somewhat redundant, especially offensively - Purvis has proved himself as a serviceable spot-up shooter, but he doesn't seem overly comfortable at this point creating his own shot. Samuel isn't much of an asset offensively when the driving lanes aren't there. It's fair to question whether Purvis and Samuel can share the wings together without submarining the offense. Purvis alongside somebody like Calhoun - assuming he's hitting his shots and has improved his handle - seems like a cleaner fit.

But we're a ways off from being able to make that call. It's been two games. As other posters have mentioned, Samuel is probably our second best perimeter defender. He adds way too much to the team to think he'll be squeezed from the rotation entirely.

Reaction Score
TSam will play 20+ mins per game. We have seen that KO isn't opposed to using a 4 guard lineup at times (3 PG's and RP). We're not deep at the 4 (Lubin will be ready soon...but not yet).

TS hasn't grown his confidence yet, but when he does, i think we can expect big things.

Reaction Score

TSam likely won't get starters minutes as the season moves forward but he is valuable coming off the bench. KO will use him when we need to settle things down because he doesn't usually put up bad shots and plays within himself.

UconnU

If he blocks 100, he blocks 100
Reaction Score
I actually had the complete opposite view of todays game. It looks like he picked up a little bit of a left hand. Still doesn't have any sort of jumper but he has a left now and can play pretty damn good defense.

Reaction Score
You're an idiot. I clearly state that this isn't based on how he has played after two games but rather the skills that each brings to the table. But clearly you are too dumb to figure that out.

Edit: I wrote a long response, with further highlights my initial point (which has plenty of rational) but you clearly have no ability to read and comprehend something, so I deleted it due to your stupidity.
I don't get it. I think TSam has played well this season picking up where he left off from last season.

What the h*ll did you expect from him. He's a spark off the bench and always plays hard. I think I'll leave who plays up to KO, who won't be calling you any time soon for coaching tips.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CT2SC

Top Bottom