Syracuse Wins @ Duke | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Syracuse Wins @ Duke

Reaction Score
Not understanding this. Cuse does not have a line out the door of top ten players begging to play for whiny rat faced coach K. I too root against them, but Duke is an evil empire.

i used to hate duke more than anything, especially during the 2000s with guys like reddick, scheyer and paulus etc. Beating them in 2004 was the real chip that year.

but you REALLY REALLY need to understand something... Syracuse. DESTROYED. THE. BIG. EAST!!!! as far as i'm concerned it's their fault we are stuck in the aac right now.

if Syracuse had a single shred of honor they would have stayed strong with their big east brothers. they were a founding member of the conference we all loved so much but were blinded by greed. they abandoned us knowing it would doom the conference.

as soon as they left pitt, wvu, and louisville all followed. if Syracuse had been loyal to anything other than money, we could have kept the big east alive. they were the straw that broke the camel's back.

duke never did anything to damage our program, either directly or indirectly. Syracuse deserves every UConn fans' complete and undivided righteous hatred.

and you can go eat toothpaste @Orange87

PS- i don't wanna hear anything about BC, miami or VT. the conference was better than ever in the late 2000's and they were all long gone.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
i used to hate duke more than anything, especially during the 2000s with guys like reddick, scheyer and paulus etc. Beating them in 2004 was the real chip that year.

but you REALLY REALLY need to understand something... Syracuse DESTROYED THE BIG EAST!!!! as far as i'm concerned it is their fault that we are stuck in the aac right now.

if Syracuse had a single shred of honor they would have stayed strong with their big east brothers. they were a founding member of the conference we all loved so much but were blinded by greed. they abandoned us knowing it would doom the conference.

as soon as they left pitt, wvu, and louisville all followed. if Syracuse had been loyal to anything other than money, we could have kept the big east alive. they were the straw that broke the camel's back.

duke never did anything to damage our program, either directly or indirectly. Syracuse deserves every UConn fans' complete and undivided righteous hatred.

and you can go eat toothpaste @Orange87

PS- i don't wanna hear anything about BC, miami or VT. the conference was better than ever in the late 2000's and they were all long gone.

Dude, thats fine if you want to blame Syracuse, but your own Hall of Fame coach knows who the REAL culprit was when it came down to the destruction of the Big East.

Geno blames Notre Dame for Big East woes

And I'll pass on the toothpaste thanks.

Reaction Score
there's a difference between avoiding a result and directly causing a result. we were just fine without having their football program in the conference, just like the ACC will be fine without it, so rest easy.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Does Boeheim care at all what he says any more? His comment on Zion Williamson after the game:

“He’s like Charles Barkley was except he shoots better than Charles and he’s not as fat.”

That'll go over well.

Reaction Score
...we were just fine without having their football program in the conference, just like the ACC will be fine without it, so rest easy.

I rest very easy thank you, but the Big East was obviously NOT fine without ND and that's why it ultimately fell apart. As Geno said, if ND had come in as a football member no school would have left. A football conference of Notre Dame, Miami, Pittsburgh, Boston College, West Virginia, Syracuse, Va. Tech, etc. would have rivaled any other P5 conference.

Again, you can blame Syracuse if it makes you feel better but Boston College (founding BE member), Miami & Va. Tech were long gone before Syracuse and Pittsburgh (BE member since '82) decided to leave.

I can also tell you that every single Syracuse student, alumni and fan I've ever spoken to also wishes SU never left the original Big East but unfortunately that's the nature of college sports today. Dont kid yourself either, if UConn had been given the opportunity they would have jumped just as quickly.

Reaction Score
Not understanding this. Cuse does not have a line out the door of top ten players begging to play for whiny rat faced coach K. I too root against them, but Duke is an evil empire.

I dislike Syracuse more than I dislike Duke. Not that complicated. Duke is what it is. Hopefully Hurley gets this program to the point where they're legitimately competitive with them for recruits, wins, etc. but as of right now they're operating in a different stratosphere. Put it this way: right now I derive more satisfaction from the 4 > 1 thing than I do heartburn from the fact that Duke is reeling in every recruit they want.

August_West

Universal remote, put it down on docking station.
Reaction Score
I dislike Syracuse more than I dislike Duke. Not that complicated. Duke is what it is. Hopefully Hurley gets this program to the point where they're legitimately competitive with them for recruits, wins, etc. but as of right now they're operating in a different stratosphere. Put it this way: right now I derive more satisfaction from the 4 > 1 thing than I do heartburn from the fact that Duke is reeling in every recruit they want.

well put.

Its not even close really.

UConn fans obsession with Duke as a rival over the years is absolutely scoffed at by Duke fans. And rightfully so.

Reaction Score
but the Big East was obviously NOT fine without ND and that's why it ultimately fell apart.

that's a self fulfilling prophecy. the big east WAS fine without ND football. in 2011 TCU had just accepted an invitation to join but then Syracuse decided to leave and it all came crashing down overnight. obviously it would have solidified our position but Syracuse didn't have to leave just b/c ND wouldn't become a full time member either.

Boston College (founding BE member), Miami & Va. Tech were long gone before Syracuse

as i already said, "i don't wanna hear anything about BC, miami or VT. the conference was better than ever in the late 2000's and they were all long gone."

Dont kid yourself either, if UConn had been given the opportunity they would have jumped just as quickly.

once the writing was on the wall we had to try and join a p5 in order to avoid our current predicament. empty words saying you wish you never left. you did and in the process killed the conference you claim to love.

just go back to your sewer

pj

Reaction Score
Does Boeheim care at all what he says any more? His comment on Zion Williamson after the game:

“He’s like Charles Barkley was except he shoots better than Charles and he’s not as fat.”

That'll go over well.

Not inaccurate, but he left out that Charles is far more entertaining.

Reaction Score
Calhoun is revered rightly so for everything he has done at UCONN yet the APR and Nate Miles and ban from post season play which is under his watch and which literally forced him from his job had something to do with us not getting an ACC invitation? Just wondering? The ACC teams probably did not look kindly at that. Syracuse, Pitt. They took the opportunity that we would have grabbed with both hands with football money emerging as a driving factor. And our football was not as bad back then, right. Wouldn’t we love to be in a situation where the regular season has opportunities to come back from a crap start like ACC teams do?

Reaction Score
that's a self fulfilling prophecy. the big east WAS fine without ND football. in 2011 TCU had just accepted an invitation to join but then Syracuse decided to leave and it all came crashing down overnight. obviously it would have solidified our position but Syracuse didn't have to leave just b/c ND wouldn't become a full time member either.

as i already said, "i don't wanna hear anything about BC, miami or VT. the conference was better than ever in the late 2000's and they were all long gone."

once the writing was on the wall we had to try and join a p5 in order to avoid our current predicament. empty words saying you wish you never left. you did and in the process killed the conference you claim to love.

just go back to your sewer

TCU would've saved the conference? Oh, please. C'mon man, even you know that when you start spreadng your conference so thin and adding random schools just to fill slots that its not going to work as well. Look at the conference you're in now - Tulsa? Wichita? SMU? Really? Where are the rivalries? where is the fan interest? There's no geographical connection, there's no history. Thats where the Big East was headed.

If Big East football was 'better than ever in the late 2000's' then why would any team have left? Obviously it wasn't. Schools and athletic departments need revenue to survive. If the Big East was thriving, then the revenue wouldve been there and no school would have wanted or needed to leave.
You're living in a dream world if you think that any school would just stay where they are because the fans liked it.

Lastly, I live in Connecticut, when Syracuse was in the Big East I'd go to see them play in Hartford, in Providence, at MSG, in Boston, in Newark, etc. The Big East was awesome for me as a fan. I could attend many more games than I can now that they are in the ACC. So when I say I wish they could've stayed in the Big East, those words aren't empty.

I'll go back to my sewer now, you can get back to milking your cows.

Reaction Score
then why would any team have left?

1) the conference didn't need to be saved until Syracuse left and others were compelled to follow. that's the WHOLE POINT.
2) in 2011 the BE still had all the traditional rivalries that mattered and it made as much sense geographically as the current ACC does- it wasn't "spread thin" like the AAC is.
3) if the old BE still existed it would be getting PLENTY of revenue. the tv deal would be worth many times more than the AAC and new big east deals combined.
4) but Syracuse was selfish and wanted even MORE money from the ACC. you chose greed over honor and tradition.

you can't argue that Syracuse abandoning (and thereby destroying) the conference, is somehow proof that conference destruction was inevitable. that's a logical fallacy.

Reaction Score
1) the conference didn't need to be saved until Syracuse left and others were compelled to follow. that's the WHOLE POINT.
2) in 2011 the BE still had all the traditional rivalries that mattered and it made as much sense geographically as the current ACC does- it wasn't "spread thin" like the AAC is.
3) if the old BE still existed it would be getting PLENTY of revenue. the tv deal would be worth many times more than the AAC and new big east deals combined.
4) but Syracuse was selfish and wanted even MORE money from the ACC. you chose greed over honor and tradition.

you can't argue that Syracuse abandoning (and thereby destroying) the conference, is somehow proof that conference destruction was inevitable. that's a logical fallacy.

1) The fact that the Big East had already reached out to TCU was an obvious sign that its demise was imminent.

2) Again, the writing was on the wall with the TCU and - if I've got my chronology correct - Boise State invites. If it wasn't spread thin at the time - it was just about to be. With regard to rivalries and geography - at least the teams in the ACC are all in the same time zone.

3) There was a Big East TV contract IN PLACE while Syracuse and Pitt and WVU were still members and it was far inferior to the other P5 deals and the conference had just negotiated it. You stating the a contract today would be MUCH more lucrative has no basis in fact.

4) If you really want to get into selfishness and greed contrubuting to UConn's current status in the AAC lets take a look at the Huskies administration/athletic department's decision to go all-in for football. Huge debt and fiscal responsibility was incurred with the hope that UConn would reap the financial benefits that would come with getting an invite to a P5. Had they not done that and still be so completely underwater because of the football program, perhaps the New Big East would still be an option for UConn hoops. Unfortunately the greed you like to speak of prevents that from happening any time soon.

You can pretend all the other conference members that left screwed your school but the real reason you're bitter is because schools you root against were in the right position at the right time to take advantage of the economic climate and yours wasn't because of bad internal decisions. Simply put, when the music stopped, your school was the one that was left without a chair.

Reaction Score
my last response then i hope you get banned from this board once and for all:

1) who wouldn't want TCU in their conference? they're a top 25 team in both football and bball.
2) you're timeline is not correct. those invites only happened AFTER Syracuse said they were leaving.
3) you're ignorant if you don't think the old big east tv deal would have been worth several times more than the combined $6 mill a year the aac and nbe are getting from their current deals.
4) just admit you were greedy and wanted more money at the expense of the conference you helped build, it's fine. we might even hate you less for it. but you can't have your cake and eat it too.

go back to your sewer and leave us alone.

Reaction Score
my last response then i hope you get banned from this board once and for all:

1) who wouldn't want TCU in their conference? they're a top 25 team in both football and bball.
2) you're timeline is not correct. those invites only happened AFTER Syracuse said they were leaving.
3) you're ignorant if you don't think the old big east tv deal would have been worth several times more than the combined $6 mill a year the aac and nbe are getting from their current deals.
4) just admit you were greedy and wanted more money at the expense of the conference you helped build, it's fine. we might even hate you less for it. but you can't have your cake and eat it too.

go back to your sewer and leave us alone.

Do people get banned here for making valid arguments and trying to have intelligent debates? Have I been disrespectful? Have I insulted you (any worse than you have insulted me)? Have I used profanity?

1) TCU is a fine program. They're not Notre Dame or Miami and they're not geographically convenient or logical for a conference called the Big East.

2) As I said, I wasn't sure about that but you know what my point was.

3) What did the Big East have to offer to get a great deal? Syracuse football was horrible, Rutgers had no staying power, Pittsburgh and West Virginia? Not exactly huge markets. They needed more teams to get a football playoff game and they were starting to grasp for straws (TCU) that made no sense. Who's gonna watch TCU-Pittsburgh? Even if you think they could've gotten a good deal it wouldn't be on par to what P5 schools are getting today.

4) I don't care if you hate me or not but if you think that Syracuse's greed contributed to UConn's current state then you should open your eyes and realize that UConn's own greed contributed to it even more.

August_West

Reaction Score
Do people get banned here for making valid arguments and trying to have intelligent debates? Have I been disrespectful? Have I insulted you (any worse than you have insulted me)? Have I used profanity?

1) TCU is a fine program. They're not Notre Dame or Miami and they're not geographically convenient or logical for a conference called the Big East.

2) As I said, I wasn't sure about that but you know what my point was.

3) What did the Big East have to offer to get a great deal? Syracuse football was horrible, Rutgers had no staying power, Pittsburgh and West Virginia? Not exactly huge markets. They needed more teams to get a football playoff game and they were starting to grasp for straws (TCU) that made no sense. Who's gonna watch TCU-Pittsburgh? Even if you think they could've gotten a good deal it wouldn't be on par to what P5 schools are getting today.

4) I don't care if you hate me or not but if you think that Syracuse's greed contributed to UConn's current state then you should realize that UConn's own greed contributed to it even more.

I dunno. Why dont you ask over on your board where your mods IMMEDIATELY ban us for everything.

Could you imagine one of us over there after a good win like you had last night gloating (and acting like you want to discuss something)?

We wouldnt make it to a 2nd post.

Reaction Score
I dunno. Why dont you ask over on your board where your mods IMMEDIATELY ban us for everything.

Could you imagine one of us over there after a good win like you had last night gloating (and acting like you want to discuss something)?

We wouldnt make it to a 2nd post.

I'm not a mod there so I can't speak to the banning practices. I also haven't gloated once about anything.

i'm just a college hoops fan and enjoy talking about it with other like-minded folks.

August_West

Reaction Score
I'm not a mod there so I can't speak to the banning practices. I also haven't gloated once about anything.

The timing of your engagement on our board in a thread about your win the day after a good win is in fact in and of itself gloating. There are 364 other days a year you could choose to engage with us on CR issues (I mean its all 1/2 of us ever talk about) .

You have 19 posts here in 6 years and 8 of them are in this thread.

Spare me the "aww shucks" crap. And you know what? I dont care. I dont find anything offensive in your posts, and some of your CR points I reluctantly agree with. But tell your mods to grow a spine when it comes to UConn fan participation over there.

So in return for that snowflakey behavior we don't ban your ilk over here. We just abuse you. Some of you can take it. Maybe you can. Time will tell.

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
From what I remember from the whole UConn to the ACC was that BC, Miami, FSU, VT and Pitt were the 5 schools that vehemently did not want UConn invited and were very overt about it.
Cuse was not openly against, but behind the scenes the Cuse AD and the Picker wanted not part of UConn in the ACC
Cuse was not the main reason why UConn is not in the ACC.
BC didn't want to compete with UConn recruiting in New England and Pitt didn't want UConn recruiting competition in the NJ/PA area. Cuse and the Florida schools wanted UConn basically out of NYC recruiting wars. Something also makes me feel that the FLA schools wanted no part of playing football in CT in October and November, while also playing in Boston every other year.
I think the football program, at the time, was not a huge hindrance as it is now, but, wasn't like L'ville who was bigger and better and they received the last invite.
The probation/Nate Miles and other little issues were a red flag but used more as a feigned reasoning by ACC powerbrokers.
It sucks but when we boil down everything that has happened in college athletics I feel that Notre Dame had a lot to do with it - they are prima donnas and they really don't deserve all the gravitas that many afford them.

Reaction Score
The timing of your engagement on our board in a thread about your win the day after a good win is in fact in and of itself gloating. There are 364 other days a year you could choose to engage with us on CR issues (I mean its all 1/2 of us ever talk about) .

You have 19 posts here in 6 years and 8 of them are in this thread.

Spare me the "aww shucks" crap. And you know what? I dont care. I dont find anything offensive in your posts, and some of your CR points I reluctantly agree with. But tell your mods to grow a spine when it comes to UConn fan participation over there.

So in return for that snowflakey behavior we don't ban your ilk over here. We just abuse you. Some of you can take it. Maybe you can. Time will tell.

8 posts (now 9?) in this thread because I'm responding to people.

Again - I have no control over the mods.

Fair enough.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom