Syracuse-Duke one of ESPN's Most Watched Games | The Boneyard

Syracuse-Duke one of ESPN's Most Watched Games

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
"ESPN reported that the game averaged 4,745,000 viewers, making it the third-most watched college basketball game in the network’s history (the ACC also claims most-watched game, as the North Carolina-Duke contest on March 8, 2008, drew an audience of 5,612,000).

The game drew the highest shares in the North Carolina Triad and Research Triangle markets, and the telecast also set records in Buffalo (6.7 local rating) and New York City (2.8 rating) to rank as ESPN’s highest-rated regular-season men’s college hoops game in both markets (records date back to 2002."

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
If I'm a Florida state fan and I read about a duke Syracuse basketball game's rating, logically the first place I would post that would be a UConn fan forum.

Reaction Score
Kind of embarassing that the network and the two coaches pumped it up to be the most important regular season game ever and it only got the 3rd best ratings.

Reaction Score
Billy
"ESPN reported that the game averaged 4,745,000 viewers, making it the third-most watched college basketball game in the network’s history (the ACC also claims most-watched game, as the North Carolina-Duke contest on March 8, 2008, drew an audience of 5,612,000).

The game drew the highest shares in the North Carolina Triad and Research Triangle markets, and the telecast also set records in Buffalo (6.7 local rating) and New York City (2.8 rating) to rank as ESPN’s highest-rated regular-season men’s college hoops game in both markets (records date back to 2002."
Billy? What are you trying to say. Yes it was a highly watched game.

Reaction Score
Guys, Guys...

Hundreds, if not thousands of words have been posted about the NY market, ESPN....Syracuse, etc.

And if a guy posts that the recent Cuse game was the highest college basketball draw for ESPN in NY in its history...and third highest ever for an ESPN college hoops game....then it is trolling?

Or is it really information? Information that may run counter to what some want to hear. Ah ha! I had one of those moments. That is the very definition of trolling for many.

Reaction Score
Billy

Billy? What are you trying to say. Yes it was a highly watched game.

Stimpy..

Although I am not a basketball fan and do not follow such, I have read the numerous posts about UConn and the importance of the NY market. And that Syracuse will not have much of a foothold in that market.

I thought that it is a legit fact and relevant that, as far as ESPN is concerned, the recent Cuse game with Duke was a record setter in New York...

And Stimpy, I did not take you as being so dense as to not understand the relevance in context of this forum, so forgive me if I took your post as a "suck up" post.

I now have altered my internal "Stimpy outline" and will now give you the benefit of the doubt in such an instance.

Last edited:

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
The Buffalo rating is interesting as it's constantly mentioned here that outside of Syracuse proper the Orange have no fans upstate.

pepband99

Resident TV nerd
Reaction Score
Guys, Guys...

Hundreds, if not thousands of words have been posted about the NY market, ESPN....Syracuse, etc.

And if a guy posts that the recent Cuse game was the highest college basketball draw for ESPN in NY in its history...and third highest ever for an ESPN college hoops game....then it is trolling?

Or is it really information? Information that may run counter to what some want to hear. Ah ha! I had one of those moments. That is the very definition of trolling for many.

You could make an honest argument that a good NY rating has just as much to do with dook being the opponent, as it does Cuse. dook's undergrad and alumni base is heavy in northern NJ.

Reaction Score

Thanks for the update. In return, my wish is that you develop a nasty cold sore that resembles a piece of broccoli growing on your lip today.

Reaction Score
Why the surprise at billybuds post? He's pretty out in the open compared to certain shrewder(stimpy) but no smarter ACC boosters here. SouthernCross though I believe is sincerely concerned with UConns situation IMHO. I know I enjoy his participation!

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Guys, Guys...

http://syracusefan.com/threads/looks-like-the-prov-game-will-be-tape-delayed.40752/

This is the extent of Cuse's popularity.

But yeah, the #1 team going against Duke will draw a lot of fans. Now if you can't differentiate the in-built base from the general interest of a big hoops game, then you don't know much about bball.

Read the above link again and realize how much fervor there really is in NYC. NYC is a pro town. Case closed. Best ever rating for college bball? 2.8. What else do you really need to know?

Reaction Score
The Buffalo rating is interesting as it's constantly mentioned here that outside of Syracuse proper the Orange have no fans upstate.

In 10 years of living in Buffalo, I have never once heard the local sports radio mention Syracuse bball, nor have I ever seen a single person ever wear Syracuse gear. not once. Do the local sports radio people mention U. Buffalo basketball? Yes. Do most of the local fans root for St. Bonaventure? Yes. And, I always said Rochester and Central NY has a Syracuse base. Buffalo? No. Not at all. Nada.

Heck, here is a blog on Buffalo basketball by a Syracuse alum: http://buffalonation.wordpress.com/

Notice that when he mentions the NCAA tourney at the Buffalo Arena is 2010, he explicitly writes that the games should sell some tickets because Syracuse is relatively close by and its an easy drive for Cuse fans. Were there an in-built fanbase in the region, he wouldn't need to say that. And this is from a Syracuse alum.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Stimpy..

Although I am not a basketball fan and do not follow such, I have read the numerous posts about UConn and the importance of the NY market. And that Syracuse will not have much of a foothold in that market.

I thought that it is a legit fact and relevant that, as far as ESPN is concerned, the recent Cuse game with Duke was a record setter in New York...

And Stimpy, I did not take you as being so dense as to not understand the relevance in context of this forum, so forgive me if I took your post as a "suck up" post.

I now have altered my internal "Stimpy outline" and will now give you the benefit of the doubt in such an instance.

When UConn's women's bball beats Syracuse in NYC, what does that tell you?

Dooley

Done with U-con athletics
Reaction Score
Oh rats! I guess a UCONN fan should we have posted this on FSU's boards a few years ago? My sincere apologies to the FSU fans that missed this bit of "information". We are obviously not as refined in the arts of douchery information-sharing as our Seminole friends.

http://espn.go.com/blog/los-angeles/usc/post/_/id/14340/attendance-issues-east-coast

"The announced crowd at the New York Giants' and Jets' stadium for USC-Syracuse was 39,507. The actual attending crowd was probably between 30-35,000. Either way, the 82,566-seat stadium was less than half-filled, and the Trojans noticed. Coach Lane Kiffin praised his team after the game for winning despite the less-than-ideal conditions, as USC had clearly anticipated a bigger turnout for its farthest road trip of the 2012 season.

It's safe to say that the Trojans expected a larger, louder crowd at its East Coast tuneup. And it wasn't their fans' fault, either -- there were at least as many USC fans as Syracuse supporters in attendance. It was more of a local issue. Not counting what appeared to be a robust Syracuse student section, there were very few local New Yorkers who went to the game.

What did it mean? Well, the energy was, as Kiffin told his team, severely lacking. The 43,000-plus empty seats were the most the Trojans have played in front of since a November 2001 home game against Oregon State, which they won 16-13."

Reaction Score
http://syracusefan.com/threads/looks-like-the-prov-game-will-be-tape-delayed.40752/

This is the extent of Cuse's popularity.

But yeah, the #1 team going against Duke will draw a lot of fans. Now if you can't differentiate the in-built base from the general interest of a big hoops game, then you don't know much about bball.

Read the above link again and realize how much fervor there really is in NYC. NYC is a pro town. Case closed. Best ever rating for college bball? 2.8. What else do you really need to know?

Sooo?

You state that there is not much fervor for basketball in NY?

So, I reckon, that the NY market is over ballyhooed on this board as having something to do with UConn's importance in CR.

I didn't understand it myself.

Reaction Score
dooley...

Yep. I am an FSU fan. Am interested in CR...but also am a football fan.

You will see me on WVU's BGN board (been there for 12 years)...on Shaggybevo, on OSU's Hineygate, on Notre Dame's Irish Illustrated..and other boards.

Some fans are real homers and are eternally vigilant to any perceived slight...and others will discuss the ramifications of the information presented.

I understand the mechanics....

And, when things get slow, admittedly, I know how to push a button or two to start some back and forth.

It is all just conversation....

Reaction Score

Sooo?

You state that there is not much fervor for basketball in NY?

So, I reckon, that the NY market is over ballyhooed on this board as having something to do with UConn's importance in CR.

I didn't understand it myself.

We don't talk about the New York market.

We talk about the Connecticut market.

I don't know why that is so difficult for you to understand.

We've been talking about over 1 million TV sets in the wealthiest state in America forever now. How did you miss that?

SNY took tier 3 UConn games a few years ago. They went from charging $1.60 per subscriber to $2.50+ after picking up the bad UConn games. Even better, they went from upper tier cable service to basic cable, so that's $2.50+ for 1 million+ TV sets.

Reaction Score

Did you know that the much ballyhooed 2011 Fiesta Bowl was the fourth-highest rated college football program in ESPN history?

http://www.uconnhuskies.com/sports/m-footbl/spec-rel/010311aaa.html

That and 75 cents will get you a copy of the nation's longest continuously published newspaper.

Reaction Score
Stimpy..

I didn't know what you were trying to say. Yes the Duke -Syracuse game at the Carrier Dome was a great basketball game. It went to overtime. It was a record crowd at the Carrier Dome, and had record TV ratings. The ACC has great basketball. Someone ought to consider a TV network to show more of it. It will certainly draw much better than crap like this that is totally unwatchable.

http://www.al.com/sports/index.ssf/2014/02/sec_asks_espn_for_help_with_co.html

Few will pay for a network to watch this. Talk about boring.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
In 10 years of living in Buffalo, I have never once heard the local sports radio mention Syracuse bball, nor have I ever seen a single person ever wear Syracuse gear. not once. Do the local sports radio people mention U. Buffalo basketball? Yes. Do most of the local fans root for St. Bonaventure? Yes. And, I always said Rochester and Central NY has a Syracuse base. Buffalo? No. Not at all. Nada.

Heck, here is a blog on Buffalo basketball by a Syracuse alum: http://buffalonation.wordpress.com/

Notice that when he mentions the NCAA tourney at the Buffalo Arena is 2010, he explicitly writes that the games should sell some tickets because Syracuse is relatively close by and its an easy drive for Cuse fans. Were there an in-built fanbase in the region, he wouldn't need to say that. And this is from a Syracuse alum.

It's amazing there are almost 5 million losers with nothing better to do but watch that game.

Must be the Buffalo Duke fans who set that record.

Reaction Score
It's amazing there are almost 5 million losers with nothing better to do but watch that game.

Must be the Buffalo Duke fans who set that record.

The Cuse fan running the Buffalo basketball blog has his finger on the pulse. He's right. And once again you don't know what you're talking about.

Reaction Score
When UConn's women's bball beats Syracuse in NYC, what does that tell you?

What was more interesting to me was the TV rating for the Syracuse-WVU Pinstripe Bowl was higher than the TV Rating for the Rutgers-Notre Dame Pinstripe Bowl. I thought it a shame that the New York ratings champ Rutgers got stuck to playing such an opponent that dragged down the ratings :0 The ratings were close, something like 3.5 to 3.2, but the Syracuse game drew more.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twdaylor104

Top Bottom