Syracuse-Duke one of ESPN's Most Watched Games | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Syracuse-Duke one of ESPN's Most Watched Games

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dooley

Done with U-con athletics
Reaction Score
What was more interesting to me was the TV rating for the Syracuse-WVU Pinstripe Bowl was higher than the TV Rating for the Rutgers-Notre Dame Pinstripe Bowl. I thought it a shame that the New York ratings champ Rutgers got stuck to playing such an opponent that dragged down the ratings :0 The ratings were close, something like 3.5 to 3.2, but the Syracuse game drew more.

I admit to being surprised when I saw this too. Rutty fans around these parts love to boast that RU brings NYC ratings. To be fair, the difference *could* be that the Fruit-WVU game was played in a snowstorm while the Rutty-ND game was played on a nice sunny day. My guess is that there were plenty of bored New Yorker's with some cabin fever that tuned in to the Fruit-WVU game partly because there was nothing else to do in a snowstorm.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
The Cuse fan running the Buffalo basketball blog has his finger on the pulse. He's right. And once again you don't know what you're talking about.

Well the numbers are what the numbers are. So how do you explain a record rating in Buffalo for the game?

Reaction Score
Well the numbers are what the numbers are. So how do you explain a record rating in Buffalo for the game?

Same way the game set records elsewhere in the northeast. #1 v. Duke. Post Super Bowl.

Reaction Score
What was more interesting to me was the TV rating for the Syracuse-WVU Pinstripe Bowl was higher than the TV Rating for the Rutgers-Notre Dame Pinstripe Bowl. I thought it a shame that the New York ratings champ Rutgers got stuck to playing such an opponent that dragged down the ratings :0 The ratings were close, something like 3.5 to 3.2, but the Syracuse game drew more.
Again since you took the opportunity to take a shot I corrected my earlier post.Man you are obsessed!!And you wonder why as a member of SU's site why I'm sure you're stimpycuse?I though you were a big follower of the Directors Cup? You spent too much time being concerned with RU to be the board butkus or are you looking for a pat on the head?

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Again since you took the opportunity to take a shot I corrected my earlier post.Man you are obsessed!!And you wonder why as a member of SU's site why I'm sure you're stimpycuse?

Obsessed? No. I didn't watch either game. But I did see the ratings comparison pointed out on Twitter.

Dooley

Done with U-con athletics
Reaction Score
Back to the OP, the Fruit-Dook game was a good one between two highly ranked teams that don't play each other often (before the Fruit went to the ACC). My guess is that you'd see the exact same rating, or better, if you pit a top 5 UCONN team against Dook at Gampel. UCONN has the same presence in NYC as the Fruit. Pair that with a program that has presence in NYC/NJ like Dook does and you have good ratings.

Reaction Score
Obsessed? No. I didn't watch either game. But I did see the ratings comparison pointed out on Twitter.
As usual stimp...smoothly handled! Why is it everytime I think you'll let it go I feel like you can't help yourself in regards to that certain zinger wherever you can? You think I enjoy bugging you? I really don't but you're not helping me.

Reaction Score
Back to the OP, the Fruit-Dook game was a good one between two highly ranked teams that don't play each other often (before the Fruit went to the ACC). My guess is that you'd see the exact same rating, or better, if you pit a top 5 UCONN team against Dook at Gampel. UCONN has the same presence in NYC as the Fruit. Pair that with a program that has presence in NYC/NJ like Dook does and you have good ratings.
I agree not just because its stimp you're replying too. Its not like everyone showed up ONLY because Cuse is now ACC but in spite of it... it was a great matchup plain and simple! UConn might have eclipsed that in most yrs.

Reaction Score
Guys, Guys...

Hundreds, if not thousands of words have been posted about the NY market, ESPN....Syracuse, etc.

And if a guy posts that the recent Cuse game was the highest college basketball draw for ESPN in NY in its history...and third highest ever for an ESPN college hoops game....then it is trolling?

Or is it really information? Information that may run counter to what some want to hear. Ah ha! I had one of those moments. That is the very definition of trolling for many.
Your BS is priceless , the main problem is you have convinced yourself of you sincerity..
That's delusional.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Same way the game set records elsewhere in the northeast. #1 v. Duke. Post Super Bowl.

I'm going to walk you through the absurdity of your posts on this game.

A. Only a loser with nothing better to do would watch it. Well 5 million watched.

B. You've got better things to do than watch it. But yet not better than posting 100 times about it. Also you've got 15k posts on a message board. Talk about the time you read other message boards and reply within 5 minutes every time I quote one of your posts. I guess that was the one time you had something better to do.

C. Nobody in Buffalo cares about Syracuse. Well, I'm certainly not saying that it's a hotbed... But they broke the record.

D. They broke the record because it was 'Post' Superbowl. Ummm, a game on a non SuperBowl network 24 hours prior to the Super Bowl broke the record because of the Super Bowl? Duke has played #1 dozens of times in the past - yet this game set the record.

You live in some delusional crackpot world where Bernie Fine and Syracuse are the devil, but Penn State and Joe Paterno are fine.

You really are just not in touch with reality.

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
I'll be interested to see the ratings this Sunday night for UConn UCF on ESPN2 against Syracuse Clemson on ESPNU.

If the channels were flipped, it'd be no contest I'd imagine in Syracuse favor due to the ranking and opponent, but it'll be interesting to see the difference the platform makes.

Reaction Score
I'm going to walk you through the absurdity of your posts on this game.

A. Only a loser with nothing better to do would watch it. Well 5 million watched.

Never said this.

B. You've got better things to do than watch it. But yet not better than posting 100 times about it. Also you've got 15k posts on a message board. Talk about the time you read other message boards and reply within 5 minutes every time I quote one of your posts. I guess that was the one time you had something better to do.

I had better things to do.

C. Nobody in Buffalo cares about Syracuse. Well, I'm certainly not saying that it's a hotbed... But they broke the record.

1 or 2 care. Even the Cuse basketball blog guy here says Cuse fans will come from out of town.

D. They broke the record because it was 'Post' Superbowl. Ummm, a game on a non SuperBowl network 24 hours prior to the Super Bowl broke the record because of the Super Bowl? Duke has played #1 dozens of times in the past - yet this game set the record.

So what? Got that wrong, big deal.

You live in some delusional crackpot world where Bernie Fine and Syracuse are the devil, but Penn State and Joe Paterno are fine.

Never said this.

You really are just not in touch with reality.

You are delusional. You argue against things no one ever said.

And you do this repeatedly to other posters as well. As was evident last week. What a nutcase.

Reaction Score
I think the most telling piece was the 2.8 rating in NYC. That would make it the highest ESPN CBB game in NYC on record (since 2002)

That would say Syracuse really does have a sizeable piece of the NYC market and means the ACC made a good move bringing Syracuse in to get more of the NYC market.

Reaction Score
I think the most telling piece was the 2.8 rating in NYC. That would make it the highest ESPN CBB game in NYC on record (since 2002)

That would say Syracuse really does have a sizeable piece of the NYC market and means the ACC made a good move bringing Syracuse in to get more of the NYC market.

Syracuse and UConn have always been the top NYC bball schools: http://www.nytimes.com/2013/03/12/s...d-uconn-ponders-starting-over-again.html?_r=0

Rutgers was accepted into the Big Ten last fall, with the widespread belief that the conference wanted a foothold in the New York metropolitan area. But while intending no disrespect to Rutgers, Tranghese said: “A lot of people don’t understand what makes New York tick. The two schools with the biggest impact in the New York market have been Syracuse and Connecticut.”

The key thing to note however is that the impact the 2 schools make in the NYC market is not sizeable at all. In other words, fool's gold. UConn does well in its own footprint, and since that penetration is deep AND wide, there is an analysis to be made about the Connecticut market.

Reaction Score
I'll be interested to see the ratings this Sunday night for UConn UCF on ESPN2 against Syracuse Clemson on ESPNU.

If the channels were flipped, it'd be no contest I'd imagine in Syracuse favor due to the ranking and opponent, but it'll be interesting to see the difference the platform makes.

The ESPN2 game would be much higher rated is my guess. ESPNU is still a rather obscure channel relative to ESPN and ESPN2.

Reaction Score
I for one did not watch one second of that game... I will not allow my televsion set (or the television set of the host of the party I was at) be counted in any way, shape, or form towards that game's rating in the state of CT...

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score

And you do this repeatedly to other posters as well. As was evident last week. What a nutcase.

LOL. Your actual words were something like you feel bad for anyone who was so pathetic to enjoy that game on a Saturday evening because they couldn't find anything better to do.

Stick to being a Penn State truther. You seem to be able to keep that story straighter.

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
I for one did not watch one second of that game... I will not allow my televsion set (or the television set of the host of the party I was at) be counted in any way, shape, or form towards that game's rating in the state of CT...

Well unless he or you was filling out the Nielsen survey of what you were watching you're ok haha.

Reaction Score
Look, Cuse has a strong presence in NY. I'm not sure why anyone in CT would think otherwise. And I'm sure there are plenty of Cuse interest in NYC. Congrats on their and Duke's accomplishment. Strange why a 2 against a 17 would cause such a huge rating, but think about it, it was a perfect storm of things.

New conference matchup, two winningest coaches of all time, both coaches saying it was the greatest game in the history of mankind and ESPN pimping it as such.

Everytime I turned on that channel all I saw was a commercial for the game for the week leading up to it.

I would assume Cuse fans will come out in full force at the dome and on the TV set. What in god's name else is there to is there for people to do other than obsess with Cuse sports? What's the closest professional team? Here in CT we're like 2 hours away from 11 pro teams. And there's UConn.

In other words here in CT there is a ton of things going on to interest people in on top of UConn sports. Up there, it's just Cuse and lake effect snow.

I'd love to see a Duke Cuse rating in 5 years when the matchup isn't brand new and both coaches are either retired or in the ground.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score

What you posted... Since I made it up...

"What's laughably pathetic is that the height of your Saturday night's aspirations is a Cuse bball game. Now, as a parent of sub-10s, my Saturday night's are frequently spent in such a fashion. That's often my default these days. But I certainly hope for better. I can't even imagine being in your shoes where a game like that is nirvana."

Fairfield_1st

Sitting on this Barstool talking like a damn fool
Reaction Score
I'm a Nielsen house and my TV never went near it. Not for any reason other than there was nobody to root for. I hate them both. Back in the BE days I would have rooted for Cuse since it's a good win for the conference.

Reaction Score
What you posted... Since I made it up...

"What's laughably pathetic is that the height of your Saturday night's aspirations is a Cuse bball game. Now, as a parent of sub-10s, my Saturday night's are frequently spent in such a fashion. That's often my default these days. But I certainly hope for better. I can't even imagine being in your shoes where a game like that is nirvana."

As Husky25 said last week, your reading comprehension is embarrassingly bad. No one called anyone a loser for watching the game. The quote above basically says that anyone who can't imagine anything better to do than watching the game is a loser.

Reaction Score
ESPN was pushing that matchup on every single one of their platfroms and in any way possible. Any person that watched a video clip of any of the super bowl press clips, was greeted and left with a message that Syracuse and Duke were playing on Saturday night on espn the night before the super bowl. It actually turned out to be a good game too. I would have been shocked had the ratings not blown anything away, piggy backing on every single super bowl media piece all week like they did.

That new York rating, happened, because of all the people in New York, paying attention to the super bowl being played in New York, that were hanging out on the Saturday night before.

it's absolutely disgusting how blatant and repulsively ESPN is pushing their own product that they've invested in (the ACC) on their own broadcasting medium. There are huge conflicts of interest, and I'm no lawyer, but it just all stinks. ESPN put out headlines the other day, pushing ACC v. SEC football matchups - which was promptly shut down by Mike Slive......but the same shameless, propoganda. But there is nothing to stop it, because there is no one with enough pull in either the federal government or anywhere locally to put the time, money and effort into fighting in the courts. UCONN, Connecticut crapped out years ago with Blumenthal trying to take on Shalala, and then actually voted the guy into the U.S. Senate. (I didn't vote). Somebody else is going to have to carry the flag into this battle, if it does happen.

Whatever.

I just look forward to March Madness and the tournament, and God willing, we will advance and eventually at some point, meet a still undefeated Syracuse basketball team.

zls44

Your #icebus Tour Director
Reaction Score
They were promoting what they had on their network? THE NERVE!!!!! HOW DARE THEY!!!!!!!!!!!!

Reaction Score
ESPN was pushing that matchup on every single one of their platfroms and in any way possible. Any person that watched a video clip of any of the super bowl press clips, was greeted and left with a message that Syracuse and Duke were playing on Saturday night on espn the night before the super bowl. It actually turned out to be a good game too. I would have been shocked had the ratings not blown anything away, piggy backing on every single super bowl media piece all week like they did.

That new York rating, happened, because of all the people in New York, paying attention to the super bowl being played in New York, that were hanging out on the Saturday night before.

it's absolutely disgusting how blatant and repulsively ESPN is pushing their own product that they've invested in (the ACC) on their own broadcasting medium. There are huge conflicts of interest, and I'm no lawyer, but it just all stinks. ESPN put out headlines the other day, pushing ACC v. SEC football matchups - which was promptly shut down by Mike Slive.but the same shameless, propoganda. But there is nothing to stop it, because there is no one with enough pull in either the federal government or anywhere locally to put the time, money and effort into fighting in the courts. UCONN, Connecticut crapped out years ago with Blumenthal trying to take on Shalala, and then actually voted the guy into the U.S. Senate. (I didn't vote). Somebody else is going to have to carry the flag into this battle, if it does happen.

Whatever.

I just look forward to March Madness and the tournament, and God willing, we will advance and eventually at some point, meet a still undefeated Syracuse basketball team.

So let me get this straight, your mad at ESPN because they were advertising a game for a conference they own the rights to on their own networks and website? HOW DARE THEY!!!

There is nothing illegal about what ESPN is doing. They are promoting teams they have a vested interest in seeing do well. In the world of capitalism, thats called advertising.

You sound like a commie...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twdaylor104