Syracuse cans Jim Boeheim | The Boneyard

Syracuse cans Jim Boeheim

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Last edited:
Reaction Score
I wish he went out on a better note. I know the BY's history with him ain't pretty but our rivalry with a good Syracuse team was great for the big east. As good as this big east is now, it ain't ever gonna be that. Creighton is a great team, but a big east with Creighton as a powerhouse is like going to see Journey with the filipino kid singing.

Reaction Score
Autry will make a splash. They have NIL money to work with up there. I assume he will hit the portal hard, but there is zero evidence the dude can coach. I will give Cuse credit, Autry will be a cheap sacrificial lamb, but itll be harder to make a splash hire in three years when he flames out.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
So, Boeheim gets canned and isn't really looking to coach again.

Please, please, please, pretty please let CBS or someone else bring him on for some interviews or analysis during NCAA tourney. He can go scorched earth with zero concern of it affecting his future.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score

Kind of a weird way to end it. Gives me some appreciation on the way Calhoun went out. Went out on his terms.

Neither guy really went out well.

Calhoun kinda hamstrung recruiting for a few seasons because he would tell everyone who would listen that he might retire in the next three minutes.

The Coach K or Roy Williams way is the way….either say it early and play out the season or just do it at the end of the year.

Reaction Score
Neither guy really went out well.

Calhoun kinda hamstrung recruiting for a few seasons because he would tell everyone who would listen that he might retire in the next three minutes.

The Coach K or Roy Williams way is the way….either say it early and play out the season or just do it at the end of the year.
Yeah, I was gonna say I love JC but his exit wasn't Elway-esque. He kind of snuck out the back door. The '14 title softened that situation

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
That's too bad. Mediocre Syracuse is more fun.
Oh, I think you will be able to enjoy that for quite some time.

Reaction Score
I wish he went out on a better note. I know the BY's history with him ain't pretty but our rivalry with a good Syracuse team was great for the big east. As good as this big east is now, it ain't ever gonna be that.
I said that to my Syracuse grad friend, but I don't really mean it. That fan base has no respect for the UConn program, which is really just pure jealousy. It's the "we were here first" mentality. Boeheim became a caricature of a cranky old man that blames everyone for everything. I'm glad it ended poorly, and I hope Autry flames out. That being said, I remember hearing that Autry was a decent guy, so I hope he then goes on to success elsewhere so it's even worse for Syracuse.

My one problem is that I have a son looking at colleges. Not sure he can get into UConn (one of his top choices), but Syracuse should be no problem. I try to separate sports from academics (I'd have no problem hiring a qualified Syracuse grad), but it could be tough to write those checks.

Reaction Score
I said that to my Syracuse grad friend, but I don't really mean it. That fan base has no respect for the UConn program, which is really just pure jealousy. It's the "we were here first" mentality. Boeheim became a caricature of a cranky old man that blames everyone for everything. I'm glad it ended poorly, and I hope Autry flames out. That being said, I remember hearing that Autry was a decent guy, so I hope he then goes on to success elsewhere so it's even worse for Syracuse.

My one problem is that I have a son looking at colleges. Not sure he can get into UConn (one of his top choices), but Syracuse should be no problem. I try to separate sports from academics (I'd have no problem hiring a qualified Syracuse grad), but it could be tough to write those checks.
True, but we aren't exactly a favorite dinner guest either. Good luck to your boy btw.

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
And hired Adrian Autry...... lol..... absolutely awesome hire just as long as you aren't a Syracuse fan.
FWIW, Autry lives near my son and seems like a good guy. Don’t know about his coaching chops.

Reaction Score
You are underrating how awesome dumpster fire Syracuse will be.
I don't know, I honestly can't see Autry being any worse than was Boeheim over the last few years.

Mazhude

"Bark, Bark!"
Reaction Score
From the Athletic article announcing his departure: "

What is Syracuse basketball without Boeheim?​

That might be the incorrect existential question. “What is Syracuse men’s hoops, period?” might be more on the nose. Put just about anyone under oath, and they’ll have to admit the school’s move to the ACC has undercut an identity Boeheim so painstakingly built starting in the 1970s. A football decision becomes the corrosive agent eating away at the hull. Which is too bad. It’s very easy to analyze how UConn corrected course, see the benefits for the Huskies on all fronts and conclude that maybe Syracuse should consider a similar template. It won’t. Which is also too bad..."

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NAN24

Top Bottom