Syracuse and Pitt APPLY for ACC membership | Page 4 | The Boneyard

Syracuse and Pitt APPLY for ACC membership

Status
Not open for further replies.

CL82

2023 NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions
Reaction Score
Not to be debbie downer, but the ACC is unobtainable at this point. UConn had no contact with the ACC. It was pitt, su, wv, ku, kstate, tx, baylor, iowa state, mizzou.

Herbst has not had one realignment meeting about uconn's options. They deferred to marinate. Nothing.

As the uconn hire of JC played such an important part of where uconn is today, the inaction of uconn will be looked upon 25 years from now as the opposite.
Source?

Reaction Score
Is this too obvious?

ACC NORTH:
Boston College
Syracuse
Connecticut
Pittsburgh
Rutgers
Maryland
Virginia
Virginia Tech

ACC SOUTH:
Miami
Florida State
Georgia Tech
Clemson
Duke
North Carolina
North Carolina State
Wake Forest

This needs to happen. Texas, please go as far away from the ACC as possible.

Reaction Score
This needs to happen. Texas, please go as far away from the ACC as possible.

I don't see what Texas would get from being the in ACC for non-football. The travel would be insane for their programs. The closest school would be GTech?

Reaction Score
I really hope UConn gets into the ACC, but I honestly see no reason why the ACC would take UConn over other potential options like Cincinnati, USF, Rutgers, etc. The ACC does not need UConn for TV markets thanks to now having both BC and Syracuse essentially grabbing the NY and Boston markets. If they wanted to shore up NYC, Rutgers is the more attractive option there. In the long term, UConn is simply not that attractive. Calhoun is around for another 5 years tops, and then who is to say the program stays competitive after that? Academically, it has always been a decent state school, but with nowhere near the reputation of the schools in the ACC or Big 10 as it stands. Even Rutgers is in the AAU. We may in fact be witnessing the last 2-3 years of UConn sports relevancy for the foreseeable future.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
I really hope UConn gets into the ACC, but I honestly see no reason why the ACC would take UConn over other potential options like Cincinnati, USF, Rutgers, etc. The ACC does not need UConn for TV markets thanks to now having both BC and Syracuse essentially grabbing the NY and Boston markets. If they wanted to shore up NYC, Rutgers is the more attractive option there. In the long term, UConn is simply not that attractive. Calhoun is around for another 5 years tops, and then who is to say the program stays competitive after that? Academically, it has always been a decent state school, but with nowhere near the reputation of the schools in the ACC or Big 10 as it stands. Even Rutgers is in the AAU. We may in fact be witnessing the last 2-3 years of UConn sports relevancy for the foreseeable future.

That was a troll-tastic post.

junglehusky

Molotov Cocktail of Ugliness
Reaction Score
Thanks, troll. Have a nice day.

Reaction Score
Its a legitimate outcome that UConn fans should be concerned about. The sooner the administration breaks radio silence, the sooner I will stop worrying that UConn got caught with its pants down during what could be the largest shakeup in college sports in a long time.

UConnSportsGuy

Addicted to all things UCONN!
Reaction Score

Wow..and I thought I was a negative person!:)

It isn't quite as bad as you have made it out to be. We are not in a great position right now...but it is no where near as dire as you make it out to be.

FillTheRent

College football lives in Connecticut
Reaction Score
Academically, it has always been a decent state school, but with nowhere near the reputation of the schools in the ACC or Big 10 as it stands.

I'm going to have to disagree here. You mean to tell me UCONN isn't in the same league academically as schools like: Purdue, Clemson, Minnesota, Michigan State, Iowa, Virginia Tech, Indiana, Florida State, NC State, and Nebraska? UCONN is on par or better than all those schools.

Reaction Score
I am a UConn alumnus, and fully believe UConn has solid academics. However, we are not a member of the AAU, and that is a very big deal to the Big 10 (Every member but Nebraska is). Whether or not our academics stand up compared to member schools matter less than comparing where UConn stands to schools like Rutgers, Missouri (unfavorably), Cincinnati, USF, and Louisville (favorably).

FillTheRent

College football lives in Connecticut
Reaction Score
Whether or not our academics stand up compared to member schools matter less than comparing where UConn stands to schools like Rutgers, Missouri (unfavorably), Cincinnati, USF, and Louisville (favorably).

I think UCONN's academics stand up well to the other schools mentioned. In the latest US News Rankings UCONN was ranked #58, Pitt #58, Syracuse #62, Rutgers #68, and Missouri #90. Cincy, USF, and Louisville weren't even in the top 100 National Universities.

Reaction Score
Well as an alumnus, charitably you're an idiot.

AUConn has half the enrollment of the big 10 schools, except for northwestern. Aside from having higher selectivity in admissions, including higher sat scores, top 10% of student'ss class, better retention and graduation rates, and notwithstanding uconn is a top 20 public school, #58 nationally, while mizzou is ranked in the 90's, your troll post is spot on... The same comparison can be made against syracuse. Uconn is better than su and ru.

Oh, about that vaunted aau, how's nebraska doing? Oh wait, that academic power house known as oregon is a member but notre dame isn't?

uconn
I am a UConn alumnus, and fully believe UConn has solid academics. However, we are not a member of the AAU, and that is a very big deal to the Big 10 (Every member but Nebraska is). Whether or not our academics stand up compared to member schools matter less than comparing where UConn stands to schools like Rutgers, Missouri (unfavorably), Cincinnati, USF, and Louisville (favorably).

Reaction Score
safe to say that if SU and Pitt bolt, the big east is done. the question is where uconn ends up. the earlier posted alignment makes a lot of sense, if the ACC will take uconn.

Reaction Score
Well as an alumnus, charitably you're an idiot.

AUConn has half the enrollment of the big 10 schools, except for northwestern. Aside from having higher selectivity in admissions, including higher sat scores, top 10% of student'ss class, better retention and graduation rates, and notwithstanding uconn is a top 20 public school, #58 nationally, while mizzou is ranked in the 90's, your troll post is spot on... The same comparison can be made against syracuse. Uconn is better than su and ru.

Oh, about that vaunted aau, how's nebraska doing? Oh wait, that academic power house known as oregon is a member but notre dame isn't?

uconn
I fail to see how having a smaller enrollment factors in to the equation at all. All of your facts about our undergraduate programs are true, but again, if the Big 10 isn't blowing hot air when they say that AAU membership is highly important in regards to membership, then Missouri and Rutgers have an edge. Disparage the AAU as much as you like, but that simply does not alter the fact that Jim Delaney has repeated on multiple occasions the importance of membership.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom