Syracuse and Pitt APPLY for ACC membership | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Syracuse and Pitt APPLY for ACC membership

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I think this thing is heading right for congressional hearings and all the stops will be brought out (anti-trust stoff too).

Just too many schools have the potential to be left out in the cold and they will squawk big-time to their representatives.

That said, if all this is true about Cuse and Pitt, shame on the Big East Football presidents for once again letting Swofford eat their lunch.

Reaction Score
Love this nugget:

Ironically, Pittsburgh chancellor Mark Nordenberg is the chairman of the Big East's executive committee. A Big East official added: "It's sort of like the fox in the hen house."

Reaction Score
That said, if all this is true about Cuse and Pitt, shame on the Big East Football presidents for once again letting Swofford eat their lunch.

Exactly. As the saying goes, fool me once you're a d!#&. Fool me twice, I'm a friggin idiot.

Reaction Score
Dear god..bloviating politicians...lawsuits...aren't stopping anything. That prior lawsuit has now come back to haunt uconn. Let's thank skadden, their crappy opinions of the merits, and politicians for that.
I think this thing is heading right for congressional hearings and all the stops will be brought out (anti-trust stoff too).

Just too many schools have the potential to be left out in the cold and they will squawk big-time to their representatives.

Reaction Score
I agree that the only way to stop this is through antitrust action at the congressional level. But is there enough interest anymore? Utah was a big advocate of that, but now that they're in, they're not going to be much help. Florida schools will be left out, but enough are in that the FL delegation won't get too, too excited. I really don't see where the impetus is going to come from, other than places like CT, Cincy, etc., but the more territories that get picked off, the more isolated the have-nots become. But legal action in the antitrust arena is really the only solution for those left out.

Reaction Score
I agree that the only way to stop this is through antitrust action at the congressional level. But is there enough interest anymore? Utah was a big advocate of that, but now that they're in, they're not going to be much help. Florida schools will be left out, but enough are in that the FL delegation won't get too, too excited. I really don't see where the impetus is going to come from, other than places like CT, Cincy, etc., but the more territories that get picked off, the more isolated the have-nots become. But legal action in the antitrust arena is really the only solution for those left out.

Utah's Attorney General is going ahead with the lawsuit.

Reaction Score
Dear god..bloviating politicians...lawsuits...aren't stopping anything. That prior lawsuit has now come back to haunt uconn. Let's thank skadden, their crappy opinions of the merits, and politicians for that.

Not that type of legal action. It would have to be much broader, probably congressional. There can be no questioning that the BCS, with all the interstate commerce ramifications, is a classic combination in restraint of trade. No less the Ma Bell was. It's never a problem unless you find yourself excluded. It is much easier to see from the outside looking in than it is from the inside looking out.

Reaction Score
Wow, after that game last night, I'm shocked to wake up to an even more depressing circumstance.

The Big East presidents are idiots for casting their lot with Marrinato. I honestly don't blame Pitt and SU here one bit, and I hope we were one of the other ten to apply for membership. This combined with RU prostituting itself to the Big Ten last year is proof positive that these schools don't really care about one another and are all interested in looking out for themselves individually rather than collectively.

Now if the reports are BS, I'll eat crow, but I actually believe this.

junglehusky

Molotov Cocktail of Ugliness
Reaction Score
If they were in talks, maybe that's okay. If they actually applied... duckk.

CL82

2023 NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions
Reaction Score
if all this is true & comes to pass, it disgusts me

why does the northeast feel the need to genuflect toward the southeast?

markets & traditional rivalries should mean that enough interest (& thereby $'s from next TV contract) coulda-woulda-shoulda made the BIG east viable going forward

Cuse & Pitt getting weak in the knees to become subservient to the Pukies & Tar Heels is no way to live.

exactly!!!

junglehusky

Molotov Cocktail of Ugliness
Reaction Score
Not that it means anything, but Big Lew was at the game last night. Any ideas why?
Just saw on the bottom line that Iowa State and Baylor were talking to the Big East in case the B12-2-1 collapses. Maybe he was there as a go-between.

Not the most inspiring possibility, I know...

CL82

2023 NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions
Reaction Score
From ESPN:
The one thing that is clear is that the ACC's current membership is rock solid. The original cost for schools to leave the ACC was between $10-$13 million, and the approved buyout increase makes it a highly unlikely scenario that any ACC teams defect from the conference.

They stayed together and, apparently, won. We ran for the exits and lost.

I hope ESPNs fingerprints show up on this. They have been tampering with college athletics big time as of late.

RS9999X

There's no Dark Side .....it's all Dark.
Reaction Score

willie99

Loving life & enjoying the ride, despite the bumps
Reaction Score
worst case, the Big East and the Big 12 survivors merge

Cuse would be missed, and I'm not certain their boosters will like losing all their games they play in NYC

Reaction Score
And I'm sure UConn's boosters are thrilled about that big game in january against UCF.

Reaction Score
And I'm sure UConn's boosters are thrilled about that big game in january against UCF.

if the ACC were smart they'd take us and RU and control the east coast from Miami to Boston. I always thought UConn would be a perfect fit for the ACC, elite basketball and soccer programs, up and coming football and baseball, but we need to take action , no time to sit back and wait to see what happens.

Reaction Score
Why does everyone look to Congress or lawsuits to save them from incompetent leadership in any league? Lew Perkins saw this coming 15 years ago.

Lets just assume, for the sake of argument, the superconferences divorce themselves from the NCAA and establish a different oversight committee that basically mirrors the NCAA in intent. Who say's they can't.

With diminishing returns to public universities from state legislatures, why can't they look for an improved source of revenue for investment in athletics? If it isn't true, why are the majority of BCS schools, looking to join the party?

This is still a capitalistic country, I think. Those entities that have foward thinking survive, those that don't cry "What happened, it ain't fair"

A basketball conference, IMO, cannot compete on an equal footing for revenue dollars from TV when they only have a product to sell 4 months out of the year compared to eight months for all sports conferences. If I had a product I wanted to throw in front of the public eye in the form of advertisement, I'd pay for eight months exposure on TV so I can compete with others offering similar products.

Lew had the common sense and foresight to see this happening. Pitt, Syracuse, and possibly WVU and Louisville don't want to be part of leftovers from the Big 8. I don't blame them one bit.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
worst case, the Big East and the Big 12 survivors merge

Cuse would be missed, and I'm not certain their boosters will like losing all their games they play in NYC
Who exactly will these survivors be?

Fourteen months ago, with the B-12 going by the wayside the stage was set perfectly for the BE football members and the B-12 leftovers to become an all sports conference. Beebe and Marinatto were too concerned with saving as much as they could have of the conference's they presided over and not concerned enough about the long term best interests of the individual members (anyone who didn't see this coming was blind. Granted, nobody could have foreseen it happenning this quickly). Now a couple of schools from each conference will be completely left out in the cold due to one man's actions that led to another sending him roses.

Reaction Score
Just saw on the bottom line that Iowa State and Baylor were talking to the Big East in case the B12-2-1 collapses. Maybe he was there as a go-between.

Not the most inspiring possibility, I know...
Someone I know who is friendly with his wife told me last week that they were moving back to the area. I got the impression the move may be her choice. Wanting to return to old friends/job.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
I think going independent for football may be the right move instead of joining a lousy CUSA, because at that point we need to protect the basketball program with the catholic schools.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
I'm curious as to how things shake out with UT. If they cannot reach an agreement with the P-10 where they get to keep the bulk of the LHN money they could well look to the BE. Yes, this wouyld suck but things could be worse than having UT on the schedule every year.

Reaction Score
I'm sure BC has most likely indicated that they do not want Uconn in the ACC and wouldn't vote for them.

I'll add that weakening Uconn in basketball would also be a goal for the ACC.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom