Syracuse: AD out, Boeheim retiring in 3 years | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Syracuse: AD out, Boeheim retiring in 3 years

Status
Not open for further replies.

temery

What?
Reaction Score
The next person who mentions Penn State as an example for Syracuse getting their penalty reduced gets banned for the rest of their lives. That ain't how it works on infraction cases, so just stop..

Syracuse fans are hoping you are wrong.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
Syracuse fans are hoping you are wrong.

I'm sure they are, but it's apples and Oranges. (teehee)

The Penn State didn't involve infractions, didn't involve an enforcement proceeding and didn't follow any previously established procedure.

The NCAA smelled blood and a PR score, so they went after Penn State and basically threatened them with the death penalty. PSU initially caved.

But then they sued and likely would have embarrassed the NCAA at trial so the NCAA settled.

Syracuse can appeal, but they can't sue - or they can, but their misdeeds will be splayed out before the world and they don't want that.

The penalties are what they are and absent any relief on appeal, they have to live with it. Do the crime...

temery

What?
Reaction Score
I'm sure they are, but it's apples and Oranges. (teehee)

The Penn State didn't involve infractions, didn't involve an enforcement proceeding and didn't follow any previously established procedure.

The NCAA smelled blood and a PR score, so they went after Penn State and basically threatened them with the death penalty. PSU initially caved.

But then they sued and likely would have embarrassed the NCAA at trial so the NCAA settled.

Syracuse can appeal, but they can't sue - or they can, but their misdeeds will be splayed out before the world and they don't want that.

The penalties are what they are and absent any relief on appeal, they have to live with it. Do the crime...

It appears the NCAA has already given syracuse relief in allowing them to pick this year for their post season ban. My guess is they'll reduce the other penalties now that their AD has been removed, and Boeheim has announced his retirement.

Once the smoke clears, you are right - Hopkins is toast. My guess is he saw this all coming, and tried to jump ship. Nobody threw him a rope ...

Reaction Score
On the CBS basketball podcast they mentioned that Hopkins might end up getting the job simply because the alternative of having 3 years of uncertainty about who the next coach is would be devastating.

They probably don't want to give it to him, but the pain of uncertainty might be enough to keep him in the spot.

Of course, the new AD could also just say "screw it, we're cutting all ties no matter how painful it is."

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
It appears the NCAA has already given syracuse relief in allowing them to pick this year for their post season ban. My guess is they'll reduce the other penalties now that their AD has been removed, and Boeheim has announced his retirement.

Once the smoke clears, you are right - Hopkins is toast. My guess is he saw this all coming, and tried to jump ship. Nobody threw him a rope ...

Syracuse opted to penalize themselves in hopes that the NCAA would accept the one-year ban and not add to it - basically, standard practice for a school in their position. If they hadn't, the ban would have been for next year. (Under the rules in place at the time, Syracuse was eligible for a one year ban. If they committed the same infraction under the new rules, they'd lose two years.)

Removing administrators and coaches after a case is over wins you no bonus points. And even if it did, Syracuse's strident position in the media would erase whatever goodwill they were trying to generate.

Gross was also profoundly unpopular with a lot of people at Syracuse and given that he led the department to a very damning indictment from the NCAA, he was a dead man walking as soon as the infraction report was issued.

temery

What?
Reaction Score
On the CBS basketball podcast they mentioned that Hopkins might end up getting the job simply because the alternative of having 3 years of uncertainty about who the next coach is would be devastating.

They probably don't want to give it to him, but the pain of uncertainty might be enough to keep him in the spot.

Of course, the new AD could also just say "screw it, we're cutting all ties no matter how painful it is."

My guess is the chancellor only had the juice to fire the AD (edit: promote). Boeheim put SU on the national map, but his coat tails won't carry Hopkins into the job.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Gross was also profoundly unpopular with a lot of people at Syracuse and given that he led the department to a very damning indictment from the NCAA, he was a dead man walking as soon as the infraction report was issued.
But, according to Gross, it was just a coincidence that he decided to step down as AD lol:

Syracuse Basketball @syrbasketball · 2h 2 hours ago
Gross on if move today was related to NCAA investigation: "I’d say that’s totally inaccurate"

temery

What?
Reaction Score
Syracuse opted to penalize themselves in hopes that the NCAA would accept the one-year ban and not add to it - basically, standard practice for a school in their position. If they hadn't, the ban would have been for next year. (Under the rules in place at the time, Syracuse was eligible for a one year ban. If they committed the same infraction under the new rules, they'd lose two years.)

Yup, that's pretty much what I said. The NCAA let syracuse pick the least painful penalty.

Reaction Score
I'm not saying it's coattails that will get him the job. It's the idea of hiring someone else in the middle of all the sanctions and the interim recruiting fuel that would be given to other schools by not having a coach in waiting for 3 years.

If they say now that Hopkins is out, or they keep him as an option but don't vocalize it, other schools will feast on that uncertainty in recruiting and then you have to hire someone from scratch to take the situation over?

It's basically bad option versus terrible option.

The Funster

What?
Reaction Score
Gross was kicked upstairs. According to ESPN he will transition to VP and special assistant to the chancellor.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Because of you two, I'm now counting the number of times "nose" and "pick" appears in this thread. (2 times for each btw).
Hmm, the head coach is a nose picker and the AD's name is "Gross"? How ironic.

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
The P5 doesn't give two sheets about Syracuse.
Three of the P5 might even prefer to see the ACC implode or significantly weaken. One is not like the other three.

Reaction Score
This is what I see going down. Jimmy B announces that he's going to be here for 3 more years. This provides some level of certainty to recruits they have coming in next year and in 2016. Then, at the end of the 2015-16 season, he abruptly announces that he's retiring and Hopkins steps in. Naturally they may have 1 or 2 recruits ask for a release, but it also doesn't allow other programs to recruit over them for very long using the "your HOF coach will be gone while you're a sophomore" line.
Totally agree with this. This keeps the recruits that are coming from bailing right now, after they're around for for a year or two I fully expect Boeheim to leave a year or two early.

Reaction Score
Why is no one incensed that Boeheim gets to go out on his own terms? He cheated for many years, and HE gets to decide when he leaves? If I'm the Provost or President or Otto the Orangeman, whoever is in charge of that place, he gets shown the door immediately.....he does not get to decide when is the right time for him, he lost that right. And there sure as hell isn't any statue going up.

Stainmaster

Occasionally Constructive
Reaction Score
Why is no one incensed that Boeheim gets to go out on his own terms? He cheated for many years, and HE gets to decide when he leaves? If I'm the Provost or President or Otto the Orangeman, whoever is in charge of that place, he gets shown the door immediately.....he does not get to decide when is the right time for him, he lost that right. And there sure as hell isn't any statue going up.

They still worship him. The Cuse community is blaming the NCAA for everything - they can't admit that they did anything wrong.

TRest

Horrible
Reaction Score
It's a private school, they only answer to their alums and boosters. They are Quinnipiac without Boeheim, except not as sexy.

Reaction Score
It's a private school, they only answer to their alums and boosters. They are Quinnipiac without Boeheim, except not as sexy.
That's pretty funny actually

temery

What?
Reaction Score

Removing administrators and coaches after a case is over wins you no bonus points. And even if it did, Syracuse's strident position in the media would erase whatever goodwill they were trying to generate.

The case isn't over until the appeals are done.

Reaction Score
Syracuse Basketball @syrbasketball · 13m 13 minutes ago
Boeheim reading a statement. Says he takes responsibility for those under him. Says he regrets actions and apologizes for harm of actions.

Syracuse Basketball @syrbasketball · 12m 12 minutes ago
Boeheim maintains that he did not have any "personal involvement" in those findings outlined by NCAA.

Boeheim: "You have heard this story form the NCAA's point of view. Today I want to share my perspective."

Boeheim: " I believevin the NCAA's head coach responsibility bylaw and what it stands for."

Syracuse Basketball @syrbasketball · 11m 11 minutes ago
Boeheim said he voted for the implementation of this bylaw in 2005, but he also believes that a head coach should have opportunity to rebut.

Syracuse Basketball @syrbasketball · 10m 10 minutes ago
Boeheim says NCAA's actions were "contrary to NCAA bylaw" of head coach responsibility rule. His "non-involvement" the key there, he says.

Boeheim said he offered to make himself available to NCAA enforcement staff for an additional interview after his initial one.

Syracuse Basketball @syrbasketball · 9m 9 minutes ago
Boeheim said the enforcement staff declined to listen to his additional information.

Boeheim believes his side of things were "disregarded by enforcement staff" and that resulted in his nine-game ACC suspension.

Boeheim, while defending his actions, said he meets with staff "on an almost daily basis" to discuss compliance matters.

Boeheim said he is most disappointed with academic fraud issues making it seem like his staff intends to run a program that way.

Boeheim said he meets daily with academic coordinator. Between 2008-14, 11 of 13 seniors graduated, Boeheim said.

Boeheim says Stan Kissel "took it upon himself to provide impermissible" to engage in academic fraud. Boeheim said he met with Kissel daily.

Syracuse Basketball @syrbasketball · 8m 8 minutes ago
Boeheim talking about Fab Melo situation now, says every student is allowed to seek a grade change.

Boeheim says that he cared for welfare of Melo, but did not suggest or know of academic fraud with his paper edits. "This was not my way."

Syracuse Basketball @syrbasketball · 7m 7 minutes ago
Boeheim says that after 10-year investigation, only one instance of academic fraud was found. Again cites Kissel for adding citations.

Boeheim: "This is far from a program where student-athletes freely committed academic fraud."

Syracuse Basketball @syrbasketball · 6m 6 minutes ago
Boeheim on Cornish: "There was no reason to believe that this man would provide impermissible benefits to student-athletes."

Syracuse Basketball @syrbasketball · 5m 5 minutes ago
Boeheim reiterates that Cornish was vetted pre-hire. Boeheim learned of Cornish's actions after the NCAA investigation began, he said.

Boeheim said he supports SU's drug policy, but didn't play into its creation or administration.

Syracuse Basketball @syrbasketball · 4m 4 minutes ago
Boeheim reiterates responsibility for actions of those under him and apologizes for those actions.

Boeheim: "One violation is one too many. But I believe the penalty imposed on the university and myself are unduly harsh."

Boeheim on retirement: "I am 70 years old. It's obvious that there is a timeframe for me as the head basketball coach."

Boeheim said that three years is probably longer than he was planning on staying, but it's "probably right for this program."

Syracuse Basketball @syrbasketball · 3m 3 minutes ago
Boeheim: "All of our recruits will understand what's going to happen when in most cases coaches leave, everybody is stuck."

Syracuse Basketball @syrbasketball · 3m 3 minutes ago
Boeheim: "I believe three years is right for me to be able to do my job as best as I can."

Syracuse Basketball @syrbasketball · 2m 2 minutes ago
Boeheim on what he's telling recruits: "You only have to listen to me for three years... or two years... or one (depending on class).

Boeheim asked about Hopkins' future. Jokes that he doesn't get to make all decisions. If he did, SU would still play in Manley Field House.

Syracuse Basketball @syrbasketball · 1m 1 minute ago
Boeheim: "It's a myth that I run things at Syracuse University." Says he didn't want to go to Big East back in the day.

Syracuse Basketball @syrbasketball · 8s 8 seconds ago
Boeheim: "I fervently hope" that Mike Hopkins becomes the next head coach, but knows it's up to Syverud and Board of Trustees.

Reaction Score
Boeheim said he has spoken with Syverud about the hiring of the next head coach.

Boeheim reiterates that the NCAA declined him a second interview on his involvement in the investigation.

Boeheim: "There's no way that I would ever run away from an investigation in progress. ... This is the focus of my life."

Boeheim: "I had no plans to coach this long. This investigation has made it imperative."

Boeheim: "The reason I never thought about retirement is because I was never able to (due to the ongoing investigation)."

Boeheim said he plans on being here next year, "but beyond that I have no plans." Calls three years "a long time."

Syracuse Basketball @syrbasketball · 6m 6 minutes ago
Boeheim said the 2012 Final Four would've been a good note to go out on, but couldn't consider it with NCAA investigation in progress.

Boeheim on Fab Melo's paper: "Anybody could've looked at the paper and not known that two citations were put into the paper."

Boeheim when asked by NCAA how Fab Melo wrote a 10-page paper on his life in two days: "I think he could've written it in four hours."

Boeheim: "There has been a mischaracterization by the constant critics who say, 'All these guys shouldn't be in college.'"

Reaction Score
Boeheim: Syracuse has never admitted a player who didn't deserve to be here academically. Students can struggle in class, athlete or not.

Boeheim: "I think there's a little racism involved when they talk about not taking this guy or that guy." Mentions foreigners (like Melo).

Boeheim on FB/MBB disparity in penalty: "I don't know (why)." "They were the first students to go to the Y." Had 3 cases of academic fraud.

Boeheim said he doesn't think Hopkins' status "is important right now." Wants to focus on his immediate future and that of the program.

Reaction Score
Another excellent addition by the ACC.

I'm sure theyre thrilled they now that they listened to Gross when he lobbied for Louisville over UConn.

Reaction Score
Mr Potato head is even throwing in the race card. Guy is delusional.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJasmer

Top Bottom