Sydney Wilson Dom Amore Article | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Sydney Wilson Dom Amore Article

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
I think it depends on who is playing better between Sid or Tyler and also how Hurley structures that 4 spot game to game. I'm just not sure right now who will start at the 3 and at the 4.

Alterique will start.

Sid's a way better player than Polley though. The only thing Polley might have over him is his 3pt stroke. And a couple inches.

Reaction Score
I don't think there's any doubt he's starting. He'll start when they go big, when they go small and in between.

From what I'm reading he also has Coach's heart (because he and Hurley have good history). Meaning he has the advantage of 'favor' just like a Coach's son who plays on the team.

That's hard for any other player to overcome with a brand new Coach, especially a non-starter or newcomer. Just saying it seems the starting position is his to lose going into the season.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Sid's a way better player than Polley though. The only thing Polley might have over him is his 3pt stroke. And a couple inches.

It’s an assumption. Sid has never played a single game. I hope he is as advertised. But I’m wary of high expectations for any kid who has never played a college game.

intlzncster

Reaction Score
It’s an assumption. Sid has never played a single game. I hope he is as advertised. But I’m wary of high expectations for any kid who has never played a college game.

Same sort of assumptions were made about Gilbert coming in. Or Jalen Adams. That's kinda the point. I've seen Polley enough to know that his lack of athleticism is limiting. Sid doesn't have that problem. That alone will be the difference imo.

I mean, Polley didn't exactly wow me last year. If he improves, he could be a nice role player this year.

Reaction Score
I’m with you on this. I’ve watched too much sports of all types to accept any hype. The list of guys who are going to be the best ever at their position is many pages longer than the list of guys who actually come close to the preseason hype once the games start to actually count. Remember the guy who was so good SI wrote a piece on him before the season but ended his career coming off the bench...for Fairfield. Or the guy who could dunk over a chair? But struggled when you put a n actual person on him?

Sidney Wilson may or may not turn out to be a very good player, but I will wait to anoint him until he plays some actual basketball games against actual teams.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Same sort of assumptions were made about Gilbert coming in. Or Jalen Adams. That's kinda the point. I've seen Polley enough to know that his lack of athleticism is limiting. Sid doesn't have that problem. That alone will be the difference imo.

I mean, Polley didn't exactly wow me last year. If he improves, he could be a nice role player this year.

Gilbert and Adams were rated quite a bit more highly. Gilbert never got a chance, but Adams averaged 7 points on 23 minutes a game as a freshman. He ended up playing more because Sam Cassell was so awful, and Gibbs was really a SG.

Polley shot 41.7% from three, despite a slow start. All I am saying is that there is every chance that Smith ends up starting with Gilbert and Adams, or that depending on the matchup, Polley does. Maybe Sid does. But suggesting that Sid is somehow an immediate starter 5 star stud is putting way too much pressure on him. I think he will get maybe 20 minutes a game. It's a deep roster with no obvious stars beyond Adams and Gilbert. I hope Wilson does emerge as another one. I just can't expect it.

Reaction Score
We are going to need him to contribute, hope to be surprised to the good. How does he shoot?

Reaction Score
We have no idea how good Sid Wilson or Alterique Gilbert will be this season. I have high hopes for both, but right now both are a mystery. My guess is that Sid starts and Alterique comes off the bench, although many here will disagree with me.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Yeah, keep the expectations in check. It is unlikely he will be at the level of Ray or Rip. However, he can be similar to them. Especially Rip. He doesn't need to be a great 3 PT shooter. We should have other people who can stretch the defense. But he needs to be good enough to be a threat. We don't want it to be easy for teams to play a packed in zone. I like having a mid-range threat like Rip. If he has worked on his handle, he can be a point forward like Rip was. If he is in great shape, he can be a pest moving off the ball and really wreak havoc on the defense. If Jalen gets in NBA shape, Gilbert stays healthy and Wilson can be Rip-lite, we are in a great position.

Reaction Score
Same sort of assumptions were made about Gilbert coming in. Or Jalen Adams.

Or a long, long list of players who didn't do anything as freshmen. I'm not saying Wilson is going to be that guy, but he's not nearly as polished as he gets credit for and we've got a pretty long track record of over-hyping expectations for freshmen based on their highlight reels.

Reaction Score
Or a long, long list of players who didn't do anything as freshmen. I'm not saying Wilson is going to be that guy, but he's not nearly as polished as he gets credit for and we've got a pretty long track record of over-hyping expectations for freshmen based on their highlight reels.
Especially when they are playing against chairs!

intlzncster

Reaction Score

Perhaps, but I'd say that Sid is also not a typical freshman. He's had a year in to adjust, compete, build his game, etc. I also watched Polley play defense last year, and he won't stay on the court long if he can't improve a lot in that area. Wilson reportedly does play some D. He's more aggressive. Polley appeared asleep last year.

I'm not saying Sid will be dominant either, just that I'm not as high on Polley as other people. Jr/Sr year maybe, but I don't expect big things from him this year.

Reaction Score

I agree with you that Polley didn't wow me either. But somewhere between the glimpses he did show and the fact I haven't seen Sid yet I will hold off on any assumption. Given the fact Polley also was inconsistently used and he could have been afraid to make any mistakes when he did get time, there's a chance with a summer under his belt and new coaching he may be a totally different player this coming season. At least that's what we all would love to see and we'd also love to see Sid play somewhere close to his advertised billing.

These are just 2 of the many question marks we will see answered one way or the other come October or so.

dennismenace

ONE MORE CAST
Reaction Score
Ricard Hamilton was a string bean and Ray wasn't much thicker.
But boy could they shoot. If Syd can shoot after a year of practice with this team and continue to work on it like those guys he will automatically find playing time. Sounds like he has the inspiration and willingness. We do know that Hurley will insist on constant effort alla JC. That's a great combination. I think it is going to be fun to watch and root for him. I really think Hurley is going to bring out the best in these young men or they will not want to stick around. Growing pains yes; lack of hustle and effort............hell no!

Reaction Score
Yeah, like that slow LeBron guy, or Dwayne Wade. He can put on 40 pounds easily without that being a problem, assuming it is muscle.

Jarron Cumberland at Cinci is the same height (or shorter), plays the same position and is 220.

Lebron actually cut weight 2 years ago for more quickness and easier on his body. That's not to say he cut muscle mass

dennismenace

ONE MORE CAST
Reaction Score
I agree with you that Polley didn't wow me either. But somewhere between the glimpses he did show and the fact I haven't seen Sid yet I will hold off on any assumption. Given the fact Polley also was inconsistently used and he could have been afraid to make any mistakes when he did get time, there's a chance with a summer under his belt and new coaching he may be a totally different player this coming season. At least that's what we all would love to see and we'd also love to see Sid play somewhere close to his advertised billing.

These are just 2 of the many question marks we will see answered one way or the other come October or so.
Looking forward to see what the strength and conditioning training effects will be on Polley and Whalley as well as others too.

Reaction Score
Looking forward to see what the strength and conditioning training effects will be on Polley and Whalley as well as others too.

I won't stop believing in Whaley until I see he just doesn't get it. Have a feeling he steps it up, maybe not this year but in the next 2. No doubt added muscle and strength is huge for him as he did get his hands on a lot of rebounds and loose balls which were taken from him due tidiest that. But he's always around the ball, has great feet and length, could be a Josh Boone type with some coaching.

Reaction Score
The thing is he really isn’t a freshman
A summer at St Johns. Playing B.B.
And a year+ of practice st UConn and he can’t be be compared to a true freshman. Game experience is better but he is not the Carlton, Polley, Whaley of last. October.
This in itself should raise expectations .
I will concede under the bright lights some great practice players have wilted but
some have exceeded expectations.
We will soon find out if he is a gamer or not.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44

Top Bottom