Sydney Wilson Dom Amore Article | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Sydney Wilson Dom Amore Article

Reaction Score
According to the BY, you’d be led to believe they should look like nose tackles
Basketball isn’t a poise off
Some of the greatest UConn players in history or all basketball for that matter. have been unimpressive in development.
You can be slim but still strong .Those are not mutually exclusive attributes.
A optimum combination of strength and quickness is a great mix for a BB player.
Also important is the emphasis on skills like shooting,running the floor ,or taking it to the hoop.
Even in the NBA that went through the bulky PF era. Strength is necessary but weight is not.
That bulky powerhouse was negated by the stretch four who could take it outside and knock down shots .Then when the big brute steps out to guard the mobile guy he simply takes it to the hoop. Finding a guy strong enough to mix it up inside but mobile enough to step out is first prize.
Now skinny and weak is another matter like Kenton Facey who was already mature when he arrived here at 20 years old at 6’10”and but only 180. He was a robust 210 by his senior year.
Wilson is the same age but is around 6’5” and 180 that’s a slim but certainly not Facey skinny. . Weight also varies significantly with body type. So Wilson optimum weight may be 185,190 or even 200 by the time he leaves . There is a point we’re it becomes a diminishing return .

Reaction Score
Let's not forget that Sydney is not a true freshman. He has been with the team for a solid year, finding his place, getting ready, practicing, working, learning, getting stronger. 8 more pounds of lean muscle fellas, that's pretty good.

Sydney was a very well regarded top recruit, 70's if I remember right. That Brewster team he played for was undefeated I think and he was the starting wing. He is going to get serious minutes, may even be part of the starting lineup, and could easily be a double digit scorer for us. His athleticism on defense and his rebounding will be a big part of our success. Love to see a big time year from Sydney.

Reaction Score
Let's not forget that Sydney is not a true freshman. He has been with the team for a solid year, finding his place, getting ready, practicing, working, learning, getting stronger. 8 more pounds of lean muscle fellas, that's pretty good.

Sydney was a very well regarded top recruit, 70's if I remember right. That Brewster team he played for was undefeated I think and he was the starting wing. He is going to get serious minutes, may even be part of the starting lineup, and could easily be a double digit scorer for us. His athleticism on defense and his rebounding will be a big part of our success. Love to see a big time year from Sydney.
Good point Rubert

Huskyforlife

Akokbouk
Reaction Score
If he becomes too big, he might lose some explosiveness. Just something to think about.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
If he becomes too big, he might lose some explosiveness. Just something to think about.

Yeah, like that slow LeBron guy, or Dwayne Wade. He can put on 40 pounds easily without that being a problem, assuming it is muscle.

Jarron Cumberland at Cinci is the same height (or shorter), plays the same position and is 220.

Reaction Score
I date myself with these comps, but what's the chance he 'fills out' into a Malik Sealy-Richard Hamilton-Tayshaun Prince type of body, basically a skinny guy who makes it?
Ricard Hamilton was a string bean and Ray wasn't much thicker.

Reaction Score
Sid shouldn't gain too much weight. It would definitely impact his explosion. He's just not genetically pre-disposed to a big weight gain, most likely.

He needs to develop more 2-guard skills, or hopefully has.

Reaction Score
I date myself with these comps, but what's the chance he 'fills out' into a Malik Sealy-Richard Hamilton-Tayshaun Prince type of body, basically a skinny guy who makes it?

"Dating yourself" would be mentioning Bill Corley.

Reaction Score
Yeah, like that slow LeBron guy, or Dwayne Wade. He can put on 40 pounds easily without that being a problem, assuming it is muscle.

Jarron Cumberland at Cinci is the same height (or shorter), plays the same position and is 220.
Yeah and Cumberland is mostly a 3 pt shooter, Sid is a slasher who does not have that shooting ability, slashers are usually more lean and bouncy. I agree 10-15 pounds would help him a lot, but players fill out a little later anyway, he’ll be alright.

Reaction Score
I have worked with some very good trainers of professional athletes and actors. Obviously the workouts were different. Many believe that you need a full year to put on 10-12 pounds of useful muscle and that's the max an athlete should but on in a year. I have been told if a guy gains 25 pounds of useful muscle in a year, he is probably juicing (steroids).

Reaction Score
Not 6'7 180. That just worries me for injury.

Jalen is 6'3 195, for comparison.

Good news is take the hair away and he's not 6'7" so 180 isn't awful in this case. Good size athlete will need more strength but all is fine.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
At least he's up. I wish they said what he weighed coming into UConn from St John's. I wonder if he gained any weight all last year

I read somewhere he was 170 or so while being recruited. No idea of the source or the veracity.

intlzncster

Reaction Score
And Jalen needs to be stronger.

But he doesn't necessarily need more weight. He needs to get leaner and put on muscle. Maybe top out at 200lb.

intlzncster

Reaction Score
He's a perimeter player. If he can't shoot, he isn't going to play much. I know his reputation out of HS was not as a shooter, but he's been practicing with the team for a year. Hopefully his 3 point shooting has improved.

I thought he always had a nice mid range stroke. Of all the shots, the 3pt was his weakest coming in.

intlzncster

Reaction Score

I don't think there's any doubt he's starting. He'll start when they go big, when they go small and in between. You can pencil in Jalen, Sid, Carlton, and probably Gilby (when/if he's healthy).

Reactions: pj

intlzncster

Reaction Score
Sid shouldn't gain too much weight. It would definitely impact his explosion. He's just not genetically pre-disposed to a big weight gain, most likely.

Guys he's so far away from that right now it's funny. Not an issue at all.

Reaction Score
I don't think there's any doubt he's starting. He'll start when they go big, when they go small and in between. You can pencil in Jalen, Sid, Carlton, and probably Gilby (when/if he's healthy).

I think it depends on who is playing better between Sid or Tyler and also how Hurley structures that 4 spot game to game. I'm just not sure right now who will start at the 3 and at the 4.

Alterique will start.

pj

Reaction Score
I think it depends on who is playing better between Sid or Tyler and also how Hurley structures that 4 spot game to game. I'm just not sure right now who will start at the 3 and at the 4.

Alterique will start.

Agreed. Alterique, Jalen, and Carlton will start. Sid, Vital, Tyler, Yakwe, and others all have a shot at starting at the 3 or 4. But our best chance to have a strong team is if Sid steps up and takes major minutes away from Vital; also if Tyler can step up physically and grab some minutes at the 4.

Reaction Score
The pound for pound and inch for inch strongest/toughest guy I ever saw that played for or against UConn was A.I. Didn't like him but to me he takes the cake.

Reaction Score
This is fantastic stuff. But I'm not a fan of reading these articles in July. Makes me want to skip summer and fall, and there's still too much fun to be had.

Its like a recovering alcoholic walking by a liquor store. Articles like this would make that alcoholic want to go inside.

Anyway ain't no booze like UConn basketball.

Last edited:

UconnU

If he blocks 100, he blocks 100
Reaction Score
Hopefully Sid can do for us what Quinton Rose does for Temple.

formerlurker

www.stjude.org
Reaction Score
Who's Sydney?

Sydney Wilson - Wikipedia

1200px-Sydney_Wilson_PHC_2013-3.jpg

Reaction Score
The pound for pound and inch for inch strongest/toughest guy I ever saw that played for or against UConn was A.I. Didn't like him but to me he takes the cake.
Good pick but I'd go with Kyle Lowry.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44

Top Bottom