Swish Appeal - "Notre Dame - Best Team to Follow to Promote Women's College Basketball" | The Boneyard

Swish Appeal - "Notre Dame - Best Team to Follow to Promote Women's College Basketball"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Sorry if this article has already been discussed (I couldn't find that it has) ... Swiss Appeal article, January 28, that states "Notre Dames's offensive execution seems to surpass even UConn's" ... farfetched IMO ...
Given that we had the Swiss Army Knife, a.k.a., Kelly Faris, I would have expected a little more loyalty from the Swiss.

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
Just to be clear, this is a blog post by an anonymous fan who claims to be a fan of LSU and Tennessee.

The main point seems to be that UConn is the best team but ND's games are closer and it executes really well on offense.

Tonyc

Optimus Prime
Reaction Score
Alydar just because Geno is a male from the North, and a little feisty with a Philly attitude has never sat well with some in a womens sport. In 95 beating the Queen and her court both at Gampel and in the NC game didn't fair well with many ole timers. Geno has had a uphill fight until recently. Knocking the queen off Rocky Top was not easy and to continue to run away with records that no one can touch is unheard of. Many NY fans consider UConn WCBB a mirror of the NY Yankees success over their years of dominance. To even compare NDs execution to UConn imo is one person opinion which their entitiled to. However ND has only been around for 3-4 years and after this years class graduates we will see where they are. UConn has been doing what they been doing for a very very long time. We will see after this season where ND fairs.

Next season UConn is still the team to beat. ND loses McBride, Braker and Achonwa, Duke loses 4 starters, Stanford loses Chiney and UConn loses Hartley and Dolsen. UConn will still be number 1 preseason. Where will the rest be ranked. UNC will have a lot of talent as will Tenn. Lousiville will be good again. So who steps up. Next year will tell a lot.

Its not about having the players. Its about have players who are coachable, discipline and have the burning desire to do something special.

Reaction Score
The most exciting team in women's basketball is UCONN. Viewers want to watch the best and UCONN is the best.

U

UCONNfan1

IMO, no need to put ND down while building UCONN up (not that anyone here is doing that). ND has been the surprise of the season. Actually, Tennessee and ND, but Tennessee not in a good way. I think preseason ND was 6 or 7. Stanford, Duke, Tennessee, UCONN, Louisville and Maryland were ranked ahead of ND in one poll or the other.

Now ND is the #2 team in the country and it's not close between #2 and #3. Clearly they are doing something right there and I don't see any drop off going forward. Sure they lose Achonwa and Bracker, and McBride, but they gain Turner and Westbeld (one top 5 and one top 20) and I think they got a good guard too - maybe top 50.

I see UCONN and ND at the top of the WCBB world for the foreseeable future with everyone else looking up at them.

msf22b

Maestro
Reaction Score
Thinking about this on the way home from a morning of super skiing at Burke Mt., Olde Coach's previous hang-out

Notre Dame is playing some decent teams now and into the Tourney.
We're mostly playing Junior high School level (I know…2 Louisville, 1 more Rutgers).

Does this give them an advantage in honing their game?
I think it does.

Blueballer

Transhumanist Consultant
Reaction Score
Reaction Score
The article is nothing but an opinion. The only thing that matters is UCONN winning its 9th NCAA championship.

OFFENSE
Funny how ND is ranked #4 with 87.4 pts/game and UCONN is #7 with 84.5 pts/game. Not much difference in my opinion. So the next question is why ND is better offensively to watch. Well, UCONN is ranked #1 with 22.1 asts/game while ND is #2 with 21.8 asts/game. Nope, that can't be it.

FG%
"As one of the nation's leaders in both points scored and field goal percentage, Notre Dame's offensive execution seems to surpass even UConn's."

ND #1 at 51.8%
UCONN #2 at 50.7%
......Surpassing?!? Not by those numbers!

DEFENSE
UCONN #1 at 47.7 (absolutely awesome)
ND at #47 at 60.5

So who is the more complete team? If I wanted to watch how basketball is played on both ends then UCONN would be the choice. But instead of watching a more complete team, dude789 of Swish Appeal chooses to watch to watch a team with good offensive execution with no defense. Well in my opinion I'd rather watch a complete team.

http://www.ncaa.com/stats/basketball-women/d1/current/team/114

Phil

Stats Geek
Reaction Score
The article is nothing but an opinion. The only thing that matters is UCONN winning its 9th NCAA championship.

Yes, it is an opinion.

Now I'll share mine.

I am hopeful that UConn will win an NC, but that is far from the only thing that matters to me.

I am interested in increasing the exposure of wbb. That means I am happy when I see more games on TV.

That means I am happy when I am listening to a book(The Circle), and there is a casual reference to watching WNBA games. Lots of novels have characters following sports, it isn't all that common that someone follows the WNBA and it is just a casual comment.

It means I am happy when other teams have increasing attendance, increasing salaries for their coaches, increasing twitter followers, etc.

It means I am happy when I can walk into a bar where all the people at the bat are men, ask them to change the channel tot he UConn game, and end up in a conversation with a guy from Denver about how good Stewart is.

It means I am happy when I meet a health expert at Consumer Reports to discuss how to use Wikipedia for better coverage of women's basketball, and when I explain my area of interest, his response was "I knew that". And while he might think that coverage of health issues is more important than coverage of women's basketball, he is fine with my interest and is working to help me.

Reaction Score
Yes, it is an opinion.

Now I'll share mine.

I am hopeful that UConn will win an NC, but that is far from the only thing that matters to me.

I am interested in increasing the exposure of wbb. That means I am happy when I see more games on TV.

That means I am happy when I am listening to a book(The Circle), and there is a casual reference to watching WNBA games. Lots of novels have characters following sports, it isn't all that common that someone follows the WNBA and it is just a casual comment.

It means I am happy when other teams have increasing attendance, increasing salaries for their coaches, increasing twitter followers, etc.

It means I am happy when I can walk into a bar where all the people at the bat are men, ask them to change the channel tot he UConn game, and end up in a conversation with a guy from Denver about how good Stewart is.

It means I am happy when I meet a health expert at Consumer Reports to discuss how to use Wikipedia for better coverage of women's basketball, and when I explain my area of interest, his response was "I knew that". And while he might think that coverage of health issues is more important than coverage of women's basketball, he is fine with my interest and is working to help me.

Could not agree more! Exposure is key and we have to do our part. I am a male in my 30's and love almost all sports (not a fanatic) and watch almost anything. But everytime the UCONN women are on I watch them. I will never forget a time when I was at an Outback Steakhouse sitting at the bar eating dinner on a Saturday during NFL playoffs. 30min before the NFL kickoff game, I asked to turn the big screen on the UCONN/UNC (women) game. Well when it came down to the start of the NFL game the manager approached me and asked if I would mind if they changed the channel. I said, "Yes. I do mind." I am watching this game which only has 8:00 minutes left." I could feel all the dirty looks from all the other guys at the bar. But so what. I was proud to be a UCONN fan (and an alumni). So they actually sat and watched the game and surprisingly enough people started to talk about the UCONN/UNC game.

Drumguy

Funny, now I mostly play guitar
Reaction Score

OFFENSE
Funny how ND is ranked #4 with 87.4 pts/game and UCONN is #7 with 84.5 pts/game. Not much difference in my opinion. So the next question is why ND is better offensively to watch. Well, UCONN is ranked #1 with 22.1 asts/game while ND is #2 with 21.8 asts/game. Nope, that can't be it.

FG%
"As one of the nation's leaders in both points scored and field goal percentage, Notre Dame's offensive execution seems to surpass even UConn's."

ND #1 at 51.8%
UCONN #2 at 50.7%
.Surpassing?!? Not by those numbers!

DEFENSE
ND at #47 at 60.5

So who is the more complete team? If I wanted to watch how basketball is played on both ends then UCONN would be the choice. But instead of watching a more complete team, dude789 of Swish Appeal chooses to watch to watch a team with good offensive execution with no defense. Well in my opinion I'd rather watch a complete team.

Also, you can't really take into account offensive production. UConn starts pulling back around 3/4 into the game so the games aren't any more of a blowout then they already are. If Geno let the dogs out, we'd be winning by an average of 60 points per game if that was the goal. It's not. Don't take anything away from ND or Muffet but the dude's rational is dumb.

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
Don't let the Dude thing throw you off. Article probably written by Skylar Diggins.

Reaction Score
Sorry if this article has already been discussed (I couldn't find that it has) ... Swiss Appeal article, January 28, that states "Notre Dames's offensive execution seems to surpass even UConn's" ... farfetched IMO ...

http://www.swishappeal.com/2014/1/2...the-best-team-for-the-sport-of-womens-college

The writer seems to be an obvious ND fan. It's great to support a good team. Unfortunately they do not play UC until (maybe) the NC 1/4 finals.
What better way to say something good about them (ND) than to write an article. It's unfortunate though that the objectivity of the article is spoiled at the end by the subjective comments regarding who's best for promoting the sport. Every player of WCBB is what promotes the sport and any team that achieves excellence is merely an exclamation point to that. Too bad a good article was trashed by the ending and summary. The end paragraph causes a good read to be a badly written piece of hate towards UConn.

DobbsRover2

Slap me 10
Reaction Score
When we start talking about schedules and whether they are at a junior high school level, it might be worth noting that Massey still ranks UConn's SOS at #1, and that it will end up at #3 at season's end behind Duke and ND. Also, since ND just blew out Duke on the road and you wouldn't really feel that the Blue Devils have much chance on a return game at ND, any realistic look at those remaining 8 games for both teams would put UConn with the tougher schedule since they have the road game with last year's NC partner and now Sags #5 Louisville, along with the home match. ND's toughest road game is with Sags #13 NC State, and the other road games against Wake Forest, BCU, and FSU should be relative laughers, as will UConn's other three road games. No team outside of the top 10 should challenge either team and Syracuse, GTech, and UNC games at ND with its current 22-game win streak don't pose even as much threat as the suddenly teetering Dukies.

I know we should never let the tiresome, stale, old, boring stats get in the way of a good insult, but it's still nice to trot them out occasionally.

cferraro04

Sensei
Reaction Score

OFFENSE

FG%

ND #1 at 51.8%
UCONN #2 at 50.7%
.Surpassing?!? Not by those numbers!

DEFENSE
ND at #47 at 60.5

One question? Who besides a Greyless Duke has Notre Dame played?

DobbsRover2

Slap me 10
Reaction Score
One question? Who besides a Greyless Duke has Notre Dame played?
ND just finished a testing part of the schedule where in two weeks they played UTenn, MD, and Duke on the road, and they played PSU on the road in early December. That's a challenge, even if it isn't UConn. They also played at home MSU, DePaul, and UCLA (but no, not Cal).

pap49cba

The Supreme Linkster
Reaction Score
Cal (Pa) - so what if it was an exhibition :p

CTyankee

Proud member of King Geno's Court
Reaction Score
Who is this writer kidding... "it's been a point of discussion recently about whether UConn's games should be televised at the expense of other ranked matchups."

UConn's televised games have not been at the expense of anyone else... Uconn doesn't pick the games to be televised: the networks do based on anticipated audiences...

There are two very good teams at the top... UConn and ND.

If I worked at a network I would want to promote the potential meeting of two current undefeated teams as much as possible... UConn will get their share of nationally televised games as will ND...

I suspect there is a bit of Tennessee remorse in the writer's post...

pap49cba

The Supreme Linkster
Reaction Score
I read A LOT about women's basketball but I don't waste much time on Swish Appeal.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJasmer

Top Bottom