Sweet Caroline! | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Sweet Caroline!

Reaction Score
post UCLA game, caroline’s first start! as much as i hate to see player‘s lose their spot they once earned, caroline stepped in and filled a much needed gap left from the previous starter. she has so much upside! needs to work on using the backboard on some of her drives, a little upper body strength would help with that. she’s playing great through. her drives are all controlled with a clear vision of where she’s going (cant say the same for some of her teammates with more experience). she has the height, speed, athleticism, just needs that little extra strength to help finish drives with more efficiency. her shooting is what we need right now and best part is it can only go up from here!

Aluminny69

Old Timer
Reaction Score
Although I know it's not completely true, but it seems Caroline wants to shoot every time she touches the ball. The kind way to put it, "not afraid to shoot." But we use to call those players gunners or chuckers. 4 for 13 is nothing to get excited about, and I don't think any of her baskets were the result of a great assist. While I like her aggressiveness, some of her shot selections were ill advised. I will be more impressed if she can get her shooting percentage up.

Reaction Score
Although I know it's not completely true, but it seems Caroline wants to shoot every time she touches the ball. The kind way to put it, "not afraid to shoot." But we use to call those players gunners or chuckers. 4 for 13 is nothing to get excited about, and I don't think any of her baskets were the result of a great assist. While I like her aggressiveness, some of her shot selections were ill advised. I will be more impressed if she can get her shooting percentage up.
1st Basket - Nice baseline cut behind the zone, assist by ONO for easy layup.
2nd Basket - Drive by Williams into the lane causing defense to collapse. Kick out for open 3 from the wing.
3rd Basket-Dribble handoff from ONO at top of key, saw clear driving lane for a well executed layup
4th Basket- Cut to the corner and received an under the basket inbounds pass from Evina Westbrook.

3/4 of her makes came from an assist. Like any player, you're going to shoot a higher percentage when teammates are finding you for open looks.

You could argue a few ill advised shots on her behalf, but I don't think her shot selection was anywhere as poor as Williams. At least she's being aggressive and looking to score.

Reaction Score
2nd Basket - Drive by Williams into the lane causing defense to collapse. Kick out for open 3 from the wing.
3rd Basket-Dribble handoff from ONO at top of key, saw clear driving lane for a well executed layup
4th Basket- Cut to the corner and received an under the basket inbounds pass from Evina Westbrook.

3/4 of her makes came from an assist. Like any player, you're going to shoot a higher percentage when teammates are finding you for open looks.

You could argue a few ill advised shots on her behalf, but I don't think her shot selection was anywhere as poor as Williams. At least she's being aggressive and looking to score.
I realize it was in High School, but that girl can flat out shoot, and from absurd distances. I like that she is not afraid to "chuck them up" from downtown. In addition, she makes very hard cuts, and is in constant motion on the court. She also has an uncanny ability to get to the rim. Her shots might not all be going in, but I say give this kid some time.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
Maybe when she plays more than 100 minutes as a college player. The kid is a freshman. Yes, she missed shots yesterday but I don’t recall any that were forced or out of the flow of the offense. It’s going to take her a few games to adjust to the size and speed of her defenders. She’s rushing a shade because of it but Caroline is a coach’s kid so I have no doubt she’ll find her rhythm

Reaction Score
We do have to improve setting screens for her. As a team we can and must improve. Since Steph D graduated no one has taken her place.

Reaction Score
I certainly would have gotten the ball in her (Caroline's) hands at the end when UCLA was fouling, I'm sure she would have been better than the 1-8 or whatever it was the EW shot from the charity stripe the last 2 minutes or so.

Gus Mahler

Popular Composer
Reaction Score
I certainly would have gotten the ball in her (Caroline's) hands at the end when UCLA was fouling, I'm sure she would have been better than the 1-8 or whatever it was the EW shot from the charity stripe the last 2 minutes or so.
She splashed two just before everything went wack.

Aluminny69

Old Timer
Reaction Score

Thanks for your analysis. It must have been the misses that seemed forced. But it is nice that she is getting to play more. That should work to her advantage.

Reaction Score
I love what CD is and is going to become. This year I expect a lot of ups and downs regardless of minutes. Nearly every freshman that enters the NCAA Tourney and has a decent enough role will feel pressure/have it affect them. But she has a characteristic that I love is that overall she's fearless. OFC she will get "humbled" from time to time and get cautious as all freshmen do, but long term she can get into the paint and has a lot of unique moves to get off her shot that has a legit chance for a score or get fouled. As each year goes by she'll be less nervous - I think CWill and Evia are the opposite and play very nervous (though hopeful this year will change).

Very excited regarding long term prospects of CD.

Reaction Score
ciao, I told you I was just playing with the names of Sonia and the car ... don't worry I won't do it again . I'm sorry !!
In no size shape or form (or forum) was I offended. My skin is thin but thicker than paper. I appreciate the correction, Mentally I was searching for the correct spelling. My spouse wasn't home at the times so my "brains" went shopping. The thanks was an honest thanks, again Thanks.

Reaction Score
One of the keys to Caroline's success today was that she kept moving. When everyone else was tired she was just getting started. We need to use our depth and Caroline is clearly a big part of that.
Caroline needs to get the ball more on those great cuts she makes to basket.

Reaction Score
Maybe when she plays more than 100 minutes as a college player. The kid is a freshman. Yes, she missed shots yesterday but I don’t recall any that were forced or out of the flow of the offense. It’s going to take her a few games to adjust to the size and speed of her defenders. She’s rushing a shade because of it but Caroline is a coach’s kid so I have no doubt she’ll find her rhythm
That! And you can tell she has the green light from Geno to shoot the ball. Sooner or later when she gets the wiggles out, she will hit for a much higher percentage. Her layup misses, to me, seem to be with not being comfortable yet with the physicality of the college game. I love her and to me, she is just what the doctor ordered for this team given the current circumstances.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
That! And you can tell she has the green light from Geno to shoot the ball. Sooner or later when she gets the wiggles out, she will hit for a much higher percentage. Her layup misses, to me, seem to be with not being comfortable yet with the physicality of the college game. I love her and to me, she is just what the doctor ordered for this team given the current circumstances.
I want to see Caroline and Nika in together.

Reaction Score
Such incredible hindsight! Yes, give it to an untested Freshman instead of a 5-year veteran leading the team in FT percentage.

Reaction Score
Such incredible hindsight! Yes, give it to an untested Freshman instead of a 5-year veteran leading the team in FT percentage.
It wasn't hindsight at all, I was yelling at my screen in real time. Look at the world through clear lenses you might be surprised at what you actually see.

Reaction Score
I like her aggression, she makes things happen, doesn’t sit back and wait for things to happen.

Reaction Score
Caroline needs to get the ball more on those great cuts she makes to basket.
I love her parallel cut from the corner into the lane just inside the foul line that she does. It's not a typical curl or down hill cut that most players do. Her length at the guard allows her to get that shot off and she is often fouled.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Like my old Peaugout (phonetically) the Citron was an excellent car. I hope Caroline shoots as often as Ms Citron. If she were not on the ND team I may have cheered her on I like her game, aggressiveness, etc Ditto with Ms Ducharme

I had a 1971 Peugeot 304 station wagon. Fun car.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom