Susan Herbst to appear on WTIC Sportstalk... | Page 4 | The Boneyard

Susan Herbst to appear on WTIC Sportstalk...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Really. That miserable b#4s!&d approach is one of the reasons we're not in the ACC right now.

Reaction Score
Well, I really tried to give the empty dress suit the benefit of the doubt. She is a very bright and engaging woman, but I really don't see much there in terms of athletic vision. I found it remarkable that the word "football" never came up. JoeD let her run the agenda and half was on non-athletic matters (remember this a sports show). Her position in regard to the conference was very disappointing. It is clear she thinks these new teams match well with Uconn and she thinks we must make the best of it and promote it. She is smart enough to be able to diplomatically say UConn will be competing at an elite national level, but she did not. I'm afraid that you have a President not interested in big time athletics. It is clear there is no burning desire to fix this problem, because they don't see one.

I can't believe JoeD totally abdicated any responsibility as a journalist to probe on critical matters. Either he is feckless, or they put ground rules on him. In either case, a pitiful job.

To sum up, the empty suit dress told us quite a bit. Basically, shut and suck it up. She expects support and she's no need to put a quality product on the field. Mid major is fine with her. The glory days of major football are over. Enjoy.

Reaction Score
I can't believe JoeD totally abdicated any responsibility as a journalist to probe on critical matters. Either he is feckless, or they put ground rules on him. In either case, a pitiful job.

Since when is a sports radio talk show host and the University's Play by Play guy considered a "journalist"?

God... It was what it was suppose to be. A space filler because KO was unavailable for the coaches show. If anyone went into that expecting to hear anything substantial then you had the wrong expectation.

Reaction Score
Since when is a sports radio talk show host and the University's Play by Play guy considered a "journalist"?

God... It was what it was suppose to be. A space filler because KO was unavailable for the coaches show. If anyone went into that expecting to hear anything substantial then you had the wrong expectation.
Wow, that's some spin. I didn't know we should not expect good questions about UConn sports programs from a Sports show, and relevant answers. By the way, the show is a sports show not a game, so he's not in a play by play mode.

Reaction Score
Really. That miserable b#4s!&d approach is one of the reasons we're not in the ACC right now.

Really? Blumenthal filed a lawsuit and everybody is still wringing their hands. Meanwhile look at all the CR litigation that's followed that that makes that case look like People's Court (Maryland v. ACC, etc.). One in Chestnut Hill spent 10 years trying to destroy us (while flushing his own program down the toilet). Maybe if we had THAT kind of attitude we'd be in a better place now.

How did Utah, West Virginia, Virginia Tech and Louisville get where they are? By smiling & the shutting up as we were advised tonight? Don't think so.

Reaction Score
Wow, that's some spin. I didn't know we should not expect good questions about UConn sports programs from a Sports show, and relevant answers. By the way, the show is a sports show not a game, so he's not in a play by play mode.

Pretty sure Sue's "smile & shut up" approach would not fly with at least a few of the Horde if she chooses to do a sitdown with them. Like to see her face a couple of fastballs instead of the two softball BP sessions she's done. Or take a couple of calls from us out here in "Hater Blog" land.

junglehusky

Molotov Cocktail of Ugliness
Reaction Score
If anyone thinks Susan is happy to sit back and relax they are naive. She is trying to get the fan base to buy duck*ing tickets to make us more attractive to any major conference isntead of whining and sitting on our hand like a bunch of duck*ing spoiled babies. She can't get UConn into the B1G or the ACC or the B12 by publicly lobbying on WTIC so if that's what you are demanding you are going to be disappointed every single time.

Reaction Score
Husky, the problem is we have done just about everything short of doubling the Rent to make ourselves "attractive". We've filled the XL Center and the Rent on a repeated basis before the economic crash. If you want to buy tickets to watch MAC/Conference USA schedules in football and hoops, be my guest. She is not conveying the impression that she is involved in or leading a serious fight. And that's what's needed, not waving pom-pons.

WestHartHusk

$3M a Year With March Off
Reaction Score
If anyone thinks Susan is happy to sit back and relax they are naive. She is trying to get the fan base to buy duck*ing tickets to make us more attractive to any major conference isntead of whining and sitting on our hand like a bunch of duck*ing spoiled babies. She can't get UConn into the B1G or the ACC or the B12 by publicly lobbying on WTIC so if that's what you are demanding you are going to be disappointed every single time.

Don't we have an athletic department to sell tickets??

Reaction Score
Husky, the problem is we have done just about everything short of doubling the Rent to make ourselves "attractive". We've filled the XL Center and the Rent on a repeated basis before the economic crash. If you want to buy tickets to watch MAC/Conference USA schedules in football and hoops, be my guest. She is not conveying the impression that she is involved in or leading a serious fight. And that's what's needed, not waving pom-pons.
Your criticism of Herbst and Manuel is getting a little old. They inherited the mess. I really don't know what you expect them to say publicly. You want them to say "Were begging to join another conference"? They're not going to say that, and shouldn't. If that's not good enough and you can't support UConn athletics, see ya.

Reaction Score
I'm sure everyone behind the scenes are doing what they can to improve UConn's situation. Coach P has upgraded the recruiting so we should see that play out on the field this year. Warde Manuel I can only assume is talking with non conference schools about future schedules but his hands are tied because the league can't give him a definite conference schedule for him to work from. Until he gets that he can't circle any open dates on future calenders. Pres. Herbst is doing what she is supposed to be doing, promoting the school. All we can do is support the football program and give off as positive a vibe about UConn athletics as possible. Whining and complaining is not getting us any closer to what we all want.

Reaction Score
My advice to Susan Herbst...next time you get asked to do one of these things, just say No. That was awful. Simply awful. Talked about Memphis basketball as if it was Duke...and her favorite sports are lacrosse and gymnastics...jeez, UConn offers 22 varsity sports. Just pick one. Even if it isn't true...and by the way it was very clear that she wasn't talking womens lacrosse...pick cross country for heaven sakes...but not one but her 2 favorites aren't offered at UConn...while its not a big deal, I just thought that answer, to an absolute puffball question, indicated just how out of touch she is on the athletic front. The whole thing simply confirmed my earlier view that as far as athletics goes, she cares, but not that much. And I'm honestly not sure she understands why fans are upset about where UConn is headed. She seems to think its becasue we won't be playing Syracuse any more, not that we're stuck in a decidedly mid-major conference with schools that are not our peers athletically, academically or in any other way.

Reaction Score
I'm sure everyone behind the scenes are doing what they can to improve UConn's situation. Coach P has upgraded the recruiting so we should see that play out on the field this year. Warde Manuel I can only assume is talking with non conference schools about future schedules but his hands are tied because the league can't give him a definite conference schedule for him to work from. Until he gets that he can't circle any open dates on future calenders. Pres. Herbst is doing what she is supposed to be doing, promoting the school. All we can do is support the football program and give off as positive a vibe about UConn athletics as possible. Whining and complaining is not getting us any closer to what we all want.

Why are you sure? "Cause that's their job? Wasn't that also the job of the previous guys in their position, but those guys screwed it up and you know these guys aren't?
Let me have the best 2 things we know that Suzy and the Rock Star have done for Uconn athletics since they have come. How many years do they get to blame the previous administration before it's on them?

Reaction Score
My advice to Susan Herbst...next time you get asked to do one of these things, just say No. That was awful. Simply awful. Talked about Memphis basketball as if it was Duke...and her favorite sports are lacrosse and gymnastics...jeez, UConn offers 22 varsity sports. Just pick one. Even if it isn't true...and by the way it was very clear that she wasn't talking womens lacrosse...pick cross country for heaven sakes...but not one but her 2 favorites aren't offered at UConn...while its not a big deal, I just thought that answer, to an absolute puffball question, indicated just how out of touch she is on the athletic front. The whole thing simply confirmed my earlier view that as far as athletics goes, she cares, but not that much. And I'm honestly not sure she understands why fans are upset about where UConn is headed. She seems to think its becasue we won't be playing Syracuse any more, not that we're stuck in a decidedly mid-major conference with schools that are not our peers athletically, academically or in any other way.
You want her to put down Memphis? You do know that one of Memphis' biggest boosters is filthy rich? Welcome to public relations. She knows we need to improve our image and make ourselves more attractive. We have to do our part an attend games. Very simple.

Reaction Score
Why are you sure? "Cause that's their job? Wasn't that also the job of the previous guys in their position, but those guys screwed it up and you know these guys aren't?
Let me have the best 2 things we know that Suzy and the Rock Star have done for Uconn athletics since they have come. How many years do they get to blame the previous administration before it's on them?
Give Kevin Ollie a multi-year contract. Get the basketball practice facility going. Tell PP to get us a new OC. Would a lollipop make you feel better?

Reaction Score
Your criticism of Herbst and Manuel is getting a little old. They inherited the mess. I really don't know what you expect them to say publicly. You want them to say "Were begging to join another conference"? They're not going to say that, and shouldn't. If that's not good enough and you can't support UConn athletics, see ya.

How about fix it. How many years do they get before its on them? How would the Pres of Alabama or Duke answer what is their favorite sport, think maybe football and boys basketball might come up. Not say'n she should lie, but since you have a few basketball programs with a few national championhips might want to "like" them.

Reaction Score
Give Kevin Ollie a multi-year contract. Get the basketball practice facility going. Tell PP to get us a new OC. Would a lollipop make you feel better?

Gee, didn't he have to give Ollie a 2 week contract 1st to practice and it isn't important that it harmed 2013 recruiting. Yeah, that was Rock Star quality. Give him basketball practice facility 'cause he was there, am sure he didn't screw it up enough to get it not to happen.

Still didn't answer why you are so sure. You know what they did re ACC, a monumental failure that is career defining as both got out worked by Louisville counterparts; you are sure they did everything possible to get in. Can't be 'cause of the results.

Reaction Score
You want her to put down Memphis? You do know that one of Memphis' biggest boosters is filthy rich? Welcome to public relations. She knows we need to improve our image and make ourselves more attractive. We have to do our part an attend games. Very simple.
See I don't want her to be there at all...but if she is, talk about what UConn plans to do to remain nationally relevant. Don't tell me Memphis is a legendary basketball program and its a great academic institution...it is a basketball program that has been to 2 final fours and had both vacated decades apart! Just don't say silly things when it isn't necessary. You want to say something positive then talk about how all the members have made a commitment to excellence in football and basketball and how last week in Dallas everyone agreed to schedule up, play to win...

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
How about fix it. How many years do they get before its on them? How would the Pres of Alabama or Duke answer what is their favorite sport, think maybe football and boys basketball might come up. Not say'n she should lie, but since you have a few basketball programs with a few national championhips might want to "like" them.
Or answer around the question.

I enjoy all the sports at UConn. Kevin Ollie is doing an outstanding job as our new HC in men's basketball and is going to continue the great tradition that we have there. Of course Geno Auriema has the woman's basketball positioned to yet again compete at the very highest level of that sport. I am very excited to watch both teams as they develop. Of course UConn has a great tradition in athletics, with national championships in soccer and field hockey as well as the many national championships we have in men's and women's basketball. Football is just a few years removed from a BCS bowl and baseball had that marvelous run into the college world series. So I guess I’d have to say that I don't have any one favorite since we have so many exciting competitive teams. I love them all.

Reaction Score
See I don't want her to be there at all...but if she is, talk about what UConn plans to do to remain nationally relevant. Don't tell me Memphis is a legendary basketball program and its a great academic institution...it is a basketball program that has been to 2 final fours and had both vacated decades apart! Just don't say silly things when it isn't necessary. You want to say something positive then talk about how all the members have made a commitment to excellence in football and basketball and how last week in Dallas everyone agreed to schedule up, play to win...

If I were Warde and Susan. I would only talk about what UConn is doing. UConn, UConn, UConn. The Big East is our mechanism to fill the schedule until something better comes along. UConn needs to learn a lesson from Rutgers and Syracuse and look out for number 1 and screw everyone else. Quit talking about how great everyone else is, and start talking more and only about what we are doing.

Don't talk about Houston and Memphis. Talk about Michigan, Maryland, Tennessee etc..

Every time we toot another school's horn, they join the Big 10, or the ACC or the Big 12. Screw those other schools.

Reaction Score
Gee, didn't he have to give Ollie a 2 week contract 1st to practice and it isn't important that it harmed 2013 recruiting. Yeah, that was Rock Star quality. Give him basketball practice facility 'cause he was there, am sure he didn't screw it up enough to get it not to happen.

Still didn't answer why you are so sure. You know what they did re ACC, a monumental failure that is career defining as both got out worked by Louisville counterparts; you are sure they did everything possible to get in. Can't be 'cause of the results.
I am sure you know everything about UConn. We do have posters here who know more about what's going on than you. Spare yourself the stress. Become a Syracuse fan.

Reaction Score

People can walk (support program) and chew gum (criticize lack of leadership) at the same time, Ric. Louisville, TCU, WVU, Rutgers didn't "beg" but they took a proactive, aggressive approach, especially Louisville when their lobbying became public. Do a blind comparison of us to any one of those schools and our positives - especially TV market size - are better. We need the sales job that was done for those four schools. As far as "they inherited the mess" part of their charge when they were hired at their very desirable salaries should have to been to fix it.

Extrapolate your 'see ya' attitude to peope who support the program but don't think SH/WM are doing enough and you will have even more elbow room at games than you're getting now.

Reaction Score
Sorry, but that is just about the dumbest thing I've read. The notion that folks should shell out good money for an inferior product is simply out of touch and probably the same distorted thinking coming out of Storrs. Don't expect a ground swell of support for a mediocre conference schedule, and a President who didn't even mention the biggest college sport in America. If you expect me to pay big bucks to watch losers row, forget it. Close the Rent, rebuild memorial and let's go back to $6 gate tickets on apple festival day.

Herbst has made it clear bigtime sports in not on her agenda. That's also why we have a second rate AD from a hack midtier school. That's why P is still here. They really don't care that much. The big time experiment appears done with Suzy Lax.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LocalHits

Top Bottom