Surpsing Vibe with this team, similar to 2016-17 team | The Boneyard

Surpsing Vibe with this team, similar to 2016-17 team

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score
To me, the preseason expectations, the offseason losses, the potential OOC schedule pitfalls and unknown leadership are eerily similar to probably my favorite team of all time, the 2016-17 team. Just like that team, we knew they had talent (KLS, Pheesa, Kia, Gabby, Crystal Dangerfield, Soniya Chong) but we didn't know what to expect with the Morgan Tuck, Breanna Stewart and Moriah Jefferson graduation. That team had an early close win at FSU, then a great home win against Baylor, then another good win against LSU to start 3-0 against P5 competition. They headed into Purcell Pavilion 7-0 and then again surprised everyone with an 11-point victory. While we know how that ended, it was still an unbelievable season for team we expected to have 4-5-6 losses yet didn't.

This team has rallied together, a sophomore has stepped up in a big way (KLS and Pheesa), we have a Junior Point guard displaying leadership and defensive chops (Kia Nurse) and we have a Junior G/F Athlete becoming a huge catalyst for us which is also similar (Gabby Williams). This team just seems to show calm, "I got this" mentality and have earned all the confidence of the coaching staff. How it will end, who knows but I for one, am already enjoying the ride. :cool:

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
To make a comparison for accomplishment, what was the AA status of the 2016-2017 team and can our team match this?

2016-2017 Both KLS and Napheesa were 1st team AA's Gabby was 2nd team (I think)

Azzi will be 1st team and I think Aaliyah could get 2nd team AA. Can Nika, Dorka Caroline Aubry and/or Lou crack the AA barrier?

I could see Aubtey and Nika being on Defensive Player Teams

Maybe some one would like to deep dive this idea?

The nice thing is with such a tough and high profile schedule, special performances will be highly rewarded in awards

Reaction Score
In her Senior year Kia Nurse scored 13.7 ppg and was the NCAA WCBB Defensive Player of the Year. She still couldn't crack any AA list. Always overshadowed, and underappreciated (for the most part) except by we UCONN fans. Nika could very well be the same.

huskeynut

Leader of the Band
Reaction Score
There seems to be something very special about this team. There is a bond that exists with these young ladies that cannot be denied. There is an energy about them that fills the court when they play. There is no fear. Only a focus of the task at hand.

I don't know about AA's this year. I think Azzi should be but who knows. Do I think Azzi and Nika can lead this team to the final four - definitely.

I know one thing. I'm on board for what looks to be one hell of a ride!!!!!!!!

Reaction Score
I really love watching the games, and sometimes even get a little overwhelmed -- I suspect we all do sometimes. But I was noticing how much roaring the players do, especially Nika. Paige did this too when she was on the floor. When a good play happens, they roar at each other, to the bench, to the crowd, to the heavens.

I guess they get excited playing the games!

Anyway, I was wondering how much roaring past teams did. I don't remember as much of this sort of celebration -- during game play, not just after a win.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
I really love watching the games, and sometimes even get a little overwhelmed -- I suspect we all do sometimes. But I was noticing how much roaring the players do, especially Nika. Paige did this too when she was on the floor. When a good play happens, they roar at each other, to the bench, to the crowd, to the heavens.

I guess they get excited playing the games!

Anyway, I was wondering how much roaring past teams did. I don't remember as much of this sort of celebration -- during game play, not just after a win.
LOL I noticed the same thing. I wonder how they keep their voices.

When I was younger and went out clubbing, the music was so loud, I needed to shout to be heard. By the end of the night I was completely hoarse. I wonder how these young ladies keep their voices - when we hear Doug Bruno speak, he's often hoarse - I'm guessing from yelling at his players in practice. Maybe it's just younger vocal cords, or they have learned how to do primal roars without affecting their voices.

Either way it's super fun to see. This team has great energy and great chemistry. BTW the biggest roars from Nika come when she makes a tremendous pass that results in a tremendous basket. She truly loves dishing assists to her teammates more than anything else (except winning of course)...

Reaction Score
I think a large part of the team chemistry harkens back to the now juniors' freshman season. Largely due to the pandemic and a large influx of freshmen, the players forged a unique bond. The unparalleled play of Paige, essentially taking over the team infused the freshmen into the team, rather than being on the outside looking in as it normally occurs. The isolation and lack of normalcy of the pandemic season initiated the current chemistry seen on the court.

Last year, the adversity of the season disrupted the on-court chemistry to a certain extent, but it continued the pattern of character building, fortitude and belief in one another and having each other's backs.

Shoot ahead to this season and it looked like the adversity trend was or is continuing. Now, the last two seasons are paying dividends - look at the players take it in stride and accept everything as normal. The loss of Paige was certainly a catalyst for Nika, Azzi and Aaliyah to step up their roles. While they are great players and blessed with talent, they all appear to be outstanding individuals. Instead of bemoaning the team's losses, collectively they've united and are on the same page. Team chemistry is often referenced in team sports, and Conn's women's team has demonstrated how vital and effective it can be. A perfect example is how both Aubrey, coming back from a missed season and Lou, coming in from another program have blended in seamlessly.

Obviously, Geno and staff are responsible for the team's performance, but the young ladies deserve a lot of the credit. Additionally, Paige should take a bow too. She received another blow prior to the season and yet she demonstrates how much of a leader and member of this team she is by embracing her role as cheerleader and mentor. Much like Evina Westbrook was there for her and others her freshman year, Paige will do what she can.

Reaction Score
To make a comparison for accomplishment, what was the AA status of the 2016-2017 team and can our team match this?

2016-2017 Both KLS and Napheesa were 1st team AA's Gabby was 2nd team (I think)

Azzi will be 1st team and I think Aaliyah could get 2nd team AA. Can Nika, Dorka Caroline Aubry and/or Lou crack the AA barrier?

I could see Aubtey and Nika being on Defensive Player Teams

Maybe some one would like to deep dive this idea?

The nice thing is with such a tough and high profile schedule, special performances will be highly rewarded in awards
Nika could get some type of AA mention and Caroline ( if she is ever healthy ) has the capacity. But Caroline has to prove durability and reliability. Dorka is not close. There are at least 5 Bigs much better than she is; Aubrey is a question mark, because she still has a higher ceiling. If Aubrey becomes a shooter, and improves her efficiency driving to the hoop ( sometimes she goes too fast and blows the lay-in as a result), she can be one of the best in the country. If Lou was going to crack the AA barrier, it would have occurred last season. I think she is pigeon-holed as a "Fairfield" level player, despite what she might now accomplish. Could be wrong. But she can't "disappear" like she did in the first half against NC State.

Reaction Score
While I love Nika and the way she plays, I don't see her maintaining a 10+ assist per game average over the entire season. If she does she will prove that she is indeed an exceptional point guard worthy of consideration on the national stage. I sincerely hope she gets there! She's already conceded the best defensive player on the team is Aubrey. ;) There are a lot of great guards out there so the competition to get recognition is fierce.

Azzi obviously has the best shot a AA and other national honors. Aubrey and Aliyah definitely have a shot if they can maintain their current level of play. The others have some work to do to prove they deserve AA consideration. The good news for them is they still have four more months in the season to show their stuff.

Reaction Score
Nika could get some type of AA mention and Caroline ( if she is ever healthy ) has the capacity. But Caroline has to prove durability and reliability. Dorka is not close. There are at least 5 Bigs much better than she is; Aubrey is a question mark, because she still has a higher ceiling. If Aubrey becomes a shooter, and improves her efficiency driving to the hoop ( sometimes she goes too fast and blows the lay-in as a result), she can be one of the best in the country. If Lou was going to crack the AA barrier, it would have occurred last season. I think she is pigeon-holed as a "Fairfield" level player, despite what she might now accomplish. Could be wrong. But she can't "disappear" like she did in the first half against NC State.
She had a bad half, then showed her character by lighting it up for 20 in the second half! I’ll take that anytime!

Reaction Score
This team definitely has that vibe about them this year. The offense seems to flow a lot better. Players are assertive with their moves. They are not over thinking things. Just playing ball and having fun out there. Plus, we are making shots that helps a lot! Not going to lie about that. When the shots are fallen, everything looks better. :D

DefenseBB

Reaction Score
Game 3 and this thread turned into who would have "shots at All-American" consideration? The Boneyard is in conference play form if not really ahead of the facts. Like I initiated, this TEAMS vibe (not individual player awards) has me excited and happy to see the evolution and continued growth AND then maybe via game 6 of conference play, this discussion of who is viable for what can and should occur.
Jimmy Fallon Idk GIF by The Tonight Show Starring Jimmy Fallon

Reaction Score
Svet graduated in 2001
Yes, I am aware.

That was a team also worth comparing to 2016-17 in terms of vibe. They also displayed a calm, “I got this” mentality, even losing Svet midseason and Shea in the tournament.

Reaction Score
To me, the preseason expectations, the offseason losses, the potential OOC schedule pitfalls and unknown leadership are eerily similar to probably my favorite team of all time, the 2016-17 team. Just like that team, we knew they had talent (KLS, Pheesa, Kia, Gabby, Crystal Dangerfield, Soniya Chong) but we didn't know what to expect with the Morgan Tuck, Breanna Stewart and Moriah Jefferson graduation. That team had an early close win at FSU, then a great home win against Baylor, then another good win against LSU to start 3-0 against P5 competition. They headed into Purcell Pavilion 7-0 and then again surprised everyone with an 11-point victory. While we know how that ended, it was still an unbelievable season for team we expected to have 4-5-6 losses yet didn't.

This team has rallied together, a sophomore has stepped up in a big way (KLS and Pheesa), we have a Junior Point guard displaying leadership and defensive chops (Kia Nurse) and we have a Junior G/F Athlete becoming a huge catalyst for us which is also similar (Gabby Williams). This team just seems to show calm, "I got this" mentality and have earned all the confidence of the coaching staff. How it will end, who knows but I for one, am already enjoying the ride. :cool:

The difference is that the 2017 team had 1 senior (Chong) while the 2023 team has a senior and 2 5th year players. That is what accounts for a lot their "we got this" attitude.

DefenseBB

Reaction Score
The difference is that the 2017 team had 1 senior (Chong) while the 2023 team has a senior and 2 5th year players. That is what accounts for a lot their "we got this" attitude.
Um, ok, but I also think losing a player of the year as your best player and losing a top 5 recruit expected to contribute adds a bit more of a set of hurdles they continue to overcome. As I said, I really am impressed with both teams and their approach. so are we supposed to “rank” them now with and adversity metric? :confused:

Reaction Score
The 2016-17 team was one of my favorites. They played the whole season with the burden of staying perfect not just for their season but to continue a record that would best any in all of college basketball. And they were tested more than once during the regular season but found a way to continue to win. They would have taken that streak into 2017-18 IMO if they hadn't had a hiccup against a perfectly coached MSU team. Again IMO they easily would have beaten SC for the title if they made it to that final game. Chong their only rotation player (Lawlor being the other senior) only had two loses in her Uconn career and the balance of the starters finished with pretty damn good W-L percentages.

This years' squad has had to deal with an entirely different pressure. 2016-17's pressure was to maintain playing the well established UConn ball - which was beautiful to watch and was always centered on playing against perfection rather than whomever was wearing the opposing jerseys. Their challenge was to play their best possible game not to beat the opposing team.

These guys have to know who they are playing against, know how they can exploit their weaknesses while playing to their own strengths. To borrow a biblical reference, these guys (including last years squad) have been thrown in the JOB role. Bad stuff keeps coming at them and they can't (and haven't) dwell on that but rather keep believing in themselves and going out there with 'a next guy up' attitude and play as their best possible selves.

I absolutely love this group and I think they could potentially find at least a glimpse of playing runs of that old beautiful Uconn basketball. They have tons of talent (and when all healthy great balance across all positions), believe in themselves and each other, good chemistry and great heart. Geno said something to the effect 'that Nika believes she can do anything out there and that rubs off on the other guys'. That's a great place to start. If they believe they can that's the first ingredient to letting the magic happen. They all came to play at Uconn to live out that dream. I'm loving watching where they can take this season.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
To me, this team gives off a bit of the 95 team vibe. I’m sure part of it is the similarities between Muhl and Rizzotti‘s games. They go out you hard for 40 minutes and they seem as if they have an expectation to win. I think the loss in the championship game to South Carolina hardened and sharpened them in the same way the loss in the Elite Eight did for the 95 team.

It’s not a perfect analogy, of course, but more of a “vibe“ thing.

Last edited:

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
The 2016-17 team was one of my favorites. They played the whole season with the burden of staying perfect not just for their season but to continue a record that would best any in all of college basketball. And they were tested more than once during the regular season but found a way to continue to win. They would have taken that streak into 2017-18 IMO if they hadn't had a hiccup against a perfectly coached MSU team. Again IMO they easily would have beaten SC for the title if they made it to that final game. Chong their only rotation player (Lawlor being the other senior) only had two loses in her Uconn career and the balance of the starters finished with pretty damn good W-L percentages.

This years' squad has had to deal with an entirely different pressure. 2016-17's pressure was to maintain playing the well established UConn ball - which was beautiful to watch and was always centered on playing against perfection rather than whomever was wearing the opposing jerseys. Their challenge was to play their best possible game not to beat the opposing team.

These guys have to know who they are playing against, know how they can exploit their weaknesses while playing to their own strengths. To borrow a biblical reference, these guys (including last years squad) have been thrown in the JOB role. Bad stuff keeps coming at them and they can't (and haven't) dwell on that but rather keep believing in themselves and going out there with 'a next guy up' attitude and play as their best possible selves.

I absolutely love this group and I think they could potentially find at least a glimpse of playing runs of that old beautiful Uconn basketball. They have tons of talent (and when all healthy great balance across all positions), believe in themselves and each other, good chemistry and great heart. Geno said something to the effect 'that Nika believes she can do anything out there and that rubs off on the other guys'. That's a great place to start. If they believe they can that's the first ingredient to letting the magic happen. They all came to play at Uconn to live out that dream. I'm loving watching where they can take this season.
That was the season Kara Lawson as analyst said our streak can go to 200 games. Maybe her team could be part of a new winning streak.

Reaction Score
Um, ok, but I also think losing a player of the year as your best player and losing a top 5 recruit expected to contribute adds a bit more of a set of hurdles they continue to overcome. As I said, I really am impressed with both teams and their approach. so are we supposed to “rank” them now with and adversity metric? :confused:

The measure of this team is that those loses haven't stopped them. The way UConn handled Texas and NCSt supports my contention that UConn was more talented up and down their roster than any other team. A healthy UConn would be awesome. Send in the clowns. Maybe next year.

Not many teams bring in a McDAA to mop up, ;)

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44

Top Bottom