Sunday Post game thoughts | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Sunday Post game thoughts

Status
Not open for further replies.

cferraro04

Sensei
Reaction Score
Nope. Dolson's problems aren't about her weight...it is about the space between her ears. Dolson has to realize the physicality of the game isn't going to get any easier. She is the biggest girl on the court and they are going to get physical with her...the more the word gets out there that she is a SWAN (smiling, witty and nice)...the more they are going to come after her. She needs to become more physical and she has to start playing with attitude. When the big girl wakes up to what needs to be done nobody is going to want to bang up against the 6'5" girl in the middle.

This game was a winnable game...we are all in agreement with that...but let's stop and think a second. We are in the beginning of January, we just played the number 3 team in the nation, who is loaded with upper classmen including two 5th year seniors on their home court with a very young team who currently only goes 7 deep. Our high scorer has been a freshmen, followed by a sophmore. This game couldn't have come at a more opportune time for us...we have plenty of time to regroup, re-evaluate our style of play and to make adjustments. The fact that we were up 4 at the end of regulation in this environment is an testimony that this team will continue to improve going forward towards the end of the season. I like where we are now...these girls don't like losing, Geno doesn't like losing...they have all the motivation on their side now, they have the benefit of game tape, they know what it is going to take to get to the next level. You will see players stepping forward now, Bria already has...look for KML, Dolson and Tiff (possibly Kiah and Heather too) to up their production and intensity. I am feeling pretty bad for Providence right about now they are going to be on the receiving end of a revenge game for sure. We have played the number one and three team (now number 2) in the country and we proved with this young team that we not only deserve to be on the court with them but that we could have won both games on the road... This is all after losing what can arguably be the best player to ever play college basketball, Maya Moore? Are you kidding me? These women and we fans have a lot to be proud of...

We have a lot of basketball to watch and we are just getting started...these losses have awakened the sleeping giant... I truly believe that we as fans are going to witness a very special season...and it will start with our next game. Do you think that ND is looking forward to playing us in Hartford in February after the war that they just went through on their home court? Muffet knows what talent UConn has...she knows the next game is going to be another war. Is there anybody here who thinks that ND is going to beat UConn 4 times this year? I'll tell you how close this game really was... UConn hits 4 more foul shots...the referee calls Diggins for the foul on the reach in from behind on Bria. The refs don't blow the call on Doty which in my mind was inexcusable at that juncture in the game and it resulted in a 5 point turn-around and we win that game.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
I have a theory to throw out there. Is it possible that Ms Dolson has lost a tad too much weight and that, in her efforts to maintain her current level of svelte, she is not consuming enough calories to adequately propel the required level of energy? Some people are just not meant to be skinny and are every bit as effective with the added bulk. She looks great, but how is she feeling, really?
I have wondered about this myself. There is a balance between these two needs. Plus she is also having to play with a different body and less mass for banging in the post.

Tonyc

Optimus Prime
Reaction Score
What Stef needs to do is get tuff and start knocking a few defenders on their butt when theyre slapping her and pushing her around. I think she needs to send a message and get mad.

speedoo

Big Apple Big Dog
Reaction Score
The posts in this thread have to be some of the more ridiculous and arrogant posts I've read on this board in quite some time. Think about it: the question posed in the original post is "[h]ow many games does UCONN need to lose before the coaching staff starts to adjust the way the teach better team defense?" And this question is asked because the team dared to lose it's second game of the year to the #3 team on the road in overtime, after losing for the first time this year to the #1 team in the country by five points on the road. Oh, and last year the team lost a whopping total of 2 games, both to highly ranked teams and one loss coming in the Final Four to a team it had just beaten 3 times in a row. And before those losses? The team won 90 freakin' games in a row and back to back national championships. And the question asked is how many losses is it going to take before changes are going to be made? And we're talking about changes made defensively? Oh, and the BB IQs aren't high enough. And the guard who's had 3 ACL surgeries isn't scoring enough. Is it any wonder that fans of other teams refer to UConn fans as arrogant?

Notre Dame is really good. It's guards are big and very difficult to defend. Still, UConn held ND's two best guards -- Novosel and Diggins -- to a combined 12-39 shooting and held the ND team to 36% FG shooting. Novosel and Diggins were put on the line 19 times in 45 minutes of basketball. That was one of the keys to the game but it wouldn't have mattered had the team made it own FTs or not turned the ball over.

As UConn fans there are many reasons to be disappointed with yesterday's game and the performance of the team. The team gave the game to Notre Dame. But posts like those in this thread suggest that some fans are bigger fans of winning than they are fans of the team. That's also disappointing.

I deliberately avoided reading the OP. Good decision, apparently.

speedoo

Big Apple Big Dog
Reaction Score
I still don't know why anyone thought that.
Are you serious? Three quality frosh plus Doty returning, vs. losing Maya and Lorin. That's a plus net 2.

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
There was criticism in this thread of UConn's defensive effort. I think it's misplaced. Diggins and Novosel are two of the toughest guards in the country to defend. Yet, by the end of regulation, UConn had held Novosel to 5-20 shooting and limited her to 5 trips to the FT line (she made 4). Diggins was held to 6-16 shooting and 6 trips to the FT line (she made 5). Nothing wrong with that defensive effort against 2 tough guards. McBride shot 4-12, btw.

A very dispirited UConn team did not respond well in OT. Novosel was able to get to the line 6 times and made all 6 FTs. Diggins was 1-2 on FTs and 1-3 on FGs in OT. That was the ballgame.

These stats aren't surprising as ND was held to 63 points in regulation, 22 points below its average of 85 ppg. But the stats make the loss all the more painful as they put the focus on where UConn lost this game: TOs (at critical times) and missed FTs.

Reaction Score
Everyone makes mistakes - even Hall of Fame coaches. And everyone has opinions - hence this board.

Mine:
- With 10:48 to go, UConn up 7, with Diggins struggling, UConn went zone. Notre Dame easily rotated with Diggins completely unguarded on the weak-side wing. She hit the three and was off to the races. In my opinion, better to keep someone with her all at all times to the final buzzer. To me this was the key moment in the game as it not only cut the lead in half, but more importantly, completely changed Diggins demeanor from passive and peripheral (almost moping) to engaged, activated and completely in control. Reminded me of Stanford and Wiggins some years back with back to back three's on the weak side (courtside right corner that time, courtside left wing this time).

- Keeping Faris on the floor for 43 minutes - at times matching her up defensively with Diggins - oft times at the 4. I reckon that was asking too much. She totaled just 1 rebound, had 3 turnovers, and 2 assists to go with 9 total points (6 in the first half). I'd like to have seen more with Lewis at the 2 and Hayes at the 4 - given her rebounding this year. Or more high-low posts Dolson and Stokes (7 rebounds in 12 total minutes). Despite her early success, Faris - in those types of close games - just does not present enough of an outside threat to occupy her defender - allowing weak side double teams and sags. Even though Lewis had almost no handle down the stretch she, Doty and Hartley at least command defensive respect on the perimeter, helping to clear the key, enabling better offensive flow.

Hartley was absolutely phenomenal, before running out of gas. At times UConn's entire offense, and matched up defensively with ND's #1. Heroic effort.

Guess Lewis is a freshman after all - will be interesting to see how she responds to adversity - not something she's probably had to do a whole lot in her young life. 6 turnovers, no makes down the stretch, and serious difficulty handling the ball against pressure defense. Course I remember another young freshman having a difficult time of it against Notre Dame, albeit on a much bigger stage (the national semi's) and she seemed to handle it reasonably well... ;)

pap49cba

The Supreme Linkster
Reaction Score
What Stef needs to do is get tuff and start knocking a few defenders on their butt when theyre slapping her and pushing her around. I think she needs to send a message and get mad.
Exactly what I posted a few days ago. Tina learned to get nasty and Stef must learn this as well. As Geno says, if you're going to foul someone, make it a good one.... smack them.

Reaction Score
After watching parts of the game today, UCONN loses its focus and get's away from its game plan and allows ND to fight back. As a BB junkie, UCONN players are not very good 1 on 1 defensive players or have not learned how to keep their player in front of them. How many games does UCONN need to lose before the coaching staff starts to adjust the way the teach better team defense. How many times does ND players need to drive to the hoop uncontested and then get fouled when no one steps in the path to force them away..The last play by ND in the 2nd half and nobody stop the dribble until she got to the hoop. Until they fix that issue, they will not beat top 5 teams....Its that same reason they lost to ND last April.........

ND won the game by hanging around when they should have been down by 15 not 4 points. Again, UCONN does not have a leader or a go to player who grabs the players by the shirt and tells them what they need to do. IMO, Bria needs to set up her on court influence and demand more toughness and BB IQ from Dolson, Hayes and KML... Its very difficult to win big games when you only have 40% (Farris and Bria) of the team on the same page.......

Do you think there are any current players who will get their number and name on the Wall of Fame?........

We can solve the problem easily have you coach the team or at least have you point out Geno's errors to him. GET A LIFE!!!!!!

Reaction Score
Are you serious? Three quality frosh plus Doty returning, vs. losing Maya and Lorin. That's a plus net 2.

Doty was recovering. Knew that she wasnt going to be playing 35 mins.
KML was the only sure frosh ready for prime time, but even she wasnt going to be getting Maya minutes.
Stokes and Banks were unknowns.

Some more depth yes, but "a lot more?" No way.

JS

Reaction Score
I truly believe that we as fans are going to witness a very special season...and it will start with our next game. .
I had a couple of thoughts last night.

First, irritation with how regulation ended. No point going into the details. I don't like excuses generally. "If onlies" aren't of much use.

I also dislike gushing posts that predict world supremacy for UConn. I often just skim them or don't read them at all once I get the flavor at a glance. Don't like bragging much, nor underestimating opponents.

Yet my second thought took cferr's prediction a step further. It occurred to me that we MIGHT have just witnessed the last UConn loss we'll see for a good long while.

Reaction Score
It was exciting game, with both teams playing tough defense. But, Geno has said that there is no defense against a free throw. One more than 12 of 20 would have won the game, but the bottom line is that the tie score was indicative of the fact that both teams are equal at this point in the season. I do subscribe to the idea that Uconn has more upside. I also think that Uconn will have the better chance of beating Baylor in a championship game- because we have Heather and no one else does.

Tonyc

Optimus Prime
Reaction Score
I had a couple of thoughts last night.

First, irritation with how regulation ended. No point going into the details. I don't like excuses generally. "If onlies" aren't of much use.

I also dislike gushing posts that predict world supremacy for UConn. I often just skim them or don't read them at all once I get the flavor at a glance. Don't like bragging much, nor underestimating opponents.

Yet my second thought took cferr's prediction a step further. It occurred to me that we MIGHT have just witnessed the last UConn loss we'll see for a good long while.

JS I will agree this just might be UConns last loss in a very long time. They lead both games they lost, on the road, and lost it at the foul line. Thats not difficult to correct and the next time we meet both teams wont be on their floor. Then comes next year with one of the best classes in UConn history. I love it.

pap49cba

The Supreme Linkster
Reaction Score
The thing I am most concerned about going forward is the TOs. Geno has been commenting on this team's propensity to turn the ball over since the preseason. That is not something that is easily fixed.

Reaction Score
Minutes played.....Hartley 45 (all), Faris (43), Diggins (42), Novocel (41). Bria's game kind of hit a wall with about 5 minutes left. Diggins took over. I just think BH was worn out. Muffet did a good job of giving her two stars a breather.
Another contributing factor may have been, Notre Dame has two stars (42 points) and UCONN has one star (25 points).

Reaction Score
UConn proved last year that they can't beat ND 4 out of 4 games. I'm glad that they got the one annoying loss from the series out of the way early!
Amen to that! Beating Notre Dame in the NCAA NC is what matters.

Reaction Score
Everyone makes mistakes - even Hall of Fame coaches. And everyone has opinions - hence this board.

Mine:
- With 10:48 to go, UConn up 7, with Diggins struggling, UConn went zone. Notre Dame easily rotated with Diggins completely unguarded on the weak-side wing. She hit the three and was off to the races. In my opinion, better to keep someone with her all at all times to the final buzzer. To me this was the key moment in the game as it not only cut the lead in half, but more importantly, completely changed Diggins demeanor from passive and peripheral (almost moping) to engaged, activated and completely in control. Reminded me of Stanford and Wiggins some years back with back to back three's on the weak side (courtside right corner that time, courtside left wing this time).

- Keeping Faris on the floor for 43 minutes - at times matching her up defensively with Diggins - oft times at the 4. I reckon that was asking too much. She totaled just 1 rebound, had 3 turnovers, and 2 assists to go with 9 total points (6 in the first half). I'd like to have seen more with Lewis at the 2 and Hayes at the 4 - given her rebounding this year. Or more high-low posts Dolson and Stokes (7 rebounds in 12 total minutes). Despite her early success, Faris - in those types of close games - just does not present enough of an outside threat to occupy her defender - allowing weak side double teams and sags. Even though Lewis had almost no handle down the stretch she, Doty and Hartley at least command defensive respect on the perimeter, helping to clear the key, enabling better offensive flow.

Hartley was absolutely phenomenal, before running out of gas. At times UConn's entire offense, and matched up defensively with ND's #1. Heroic effort.

Guess Lewis is a freshman after all - will be interesting to see how she responds to adversity - not something she's probably had to do a whole lot in her young life. 6 turnovers, no makes down the stretch, and serious difficulty handling the ball against pressure defense. Course I remember another young freshman having a difficult time of it against Notre Dame, albeit on a much bigger stage (the national semi's) and she seemed to handle it reasonably well... ;)

"UConn went zone." I have tried to get someone to tell me if UConn even practices a zone defense.

I suspect that we don't!

If it is true that we don't practice zone defenses, then why do we use it/them so often in games?

Especially in important games?

Plus, IMO, we are not very good at playing a zone defense.

Good 3 point shooters eat us alive.

Peace,

John Fryer

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
"UConn went zone." I have tried to get someone to tell me if UConn even practices a zone defense.

I suspect that we don't!

Do you really think Geno instructs the team to play a defense in a game it hasn't practiced? It sounds like you do. Here's a suggestion: Geno takes calls and questions from fans on his weekly WTIC coach's show and on his show with Meghan on CPTV. Ask Geno. I submitted a question a couple of years ago and it was asked and answered on his show. I suggest you do the same if you really want to know what goes on at practice. The fans on this board (as far as I can tell) don't attend practice. Go for it.

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
I was away and didn't get to see the game live, but watched it on DVR yesterday. Much can be said about how this player or that player played, but not too much has been been said about our one senior. Tiff, who I basically like for her energy, had a tough game on O as she often does against better opponents because she plays an old-fashioned totally earth-bound style and when faced with talented defenders, she either can't get off her 3s or she drives into traffic and winds up on the floor with often at best a block call in her favor, but too often a charge. The team sure could use her to be A scorer in these types of games and I'm not sure it's there. Any sort of pull up game and she would be much more effective. KML I thought was okay, and unfortunately had that last few seconds throw away where she seemed to be crossed up. Officiating I thought was generally decent and not that much of a negative factor even though I think there were a few pretty important "non-calls" where ND was aggressively using hands and knees that wound up being to their advantage. Antone who thinks our D was lacking in this game needs to explain exactly what D was lacking? ND is very skilled, and not too shabby on D themselves. A loss to them in OT on their court is no biggie. We can't be too spoiled by those unbeaten seasons. Our team is very good, maybe as good as anyone had a right to expect having to readjust without MM.

Reaction Score
John - no disrespect honestly - but most every organized basketball program - from pee wee to the NBA - practices (and practices) some form of zone defense. And given that coach clearly places enormous importance on practice and game prep there's absolutely no chance UConn would deploy a defense with which he wasn't satisfied in practice.

However, in the ND game, when arguably the nation's best player is struggling with her game and attitude, at home in a special gym, in a rival game, I thought that choice changed the game.

One more disagreement with Coach I left out of my original post.

Tie game, 16 seconds left in regulation, UConn has the ball in the front court, in control, with 1 timeout left. Coach calls a timeout to set up an inbounds play. I absolutely disagreed when he called it - even if the play had worked and UConn had won.

My reasoning - UConn had been a turnover machine, were in pretty good form with Doty in the front court, with no defensive pressure on the ball to speak of as Notre Dame's defense wasn't set, and the game was tied. Plenty of time to get your play to the point, run your offense, take the last shot and worst comes to worst, you're in OT.

Instead UConn used it's last time out which presented all kinds of risks. Suppose you can't get the ball inbounds within 5 seconds? Suppose the defensive look isn't what you expected? Suppose they steal and score with 2 seconds left? Without a timeout, UConn would have to go the length of the court.

Down 1-3 points, perhaps I might agree. Tied, I didn't agree at all.

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
The thing I am most concerned about going forward is the TOs. Geno has been commenting on this team's propensity to turn the ball over since the preseason. That is not something that is easily fixed.

I recall him saying that. Yet, he had this to say after Saturday's game:

"I think a lot of it was their ball pressure - no question about that," Auriemma said. "Some of it was their abiliuty to get their hands on the ball and some it was that we were just a little careless. It happened in spurts. We would have two or three in a row and in a game that you know is going to be pretty close, any time you don't get a shot you don't get to make up those possessions.

"We have 100 more assists than turnovers this season, we are one of the best ballhandling teams in the country but not today. Kaleena is a freshman and she had six of them and you can say 'well she is a freshman.' Bria had seven and that's 13 right there between just two players. You are just not going to be able to beat a really good team giving up shots at the basket."

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ahserve34

Top Bottom