Sunday Feb. 17 non-UConn games | Page 12 | The Boneyard

Sunday Feb. 17 non-UConn games

Status
Not open for further replies.

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score
There are few good topics pointed out by my colleagues here and another few observations I have:
The Big12 “Holly” award goes to Karen Aston-doing less with more and devolving talent
On day with so many great games, you would think a Network that says it wants to promote the sport and build up excitement for an upcoming National Championship would at least have interns update their home page of WCBB with the scores instead of having 2 day old or more fluff stories. By comparison, go to the MCBB page. It’s just disgraceful ESPN, just disgraceful
How the 3 Blind mice could not call the kick cost Mizzou the game. Pathetic
Enough of the lamenting on players who left. If you want to laud their current accomplishments, sure I guess, go ahead but we all know what UConn players must adhere to and they weren’t cutting here so just stop acting as if Geno would suddenly change his ways and play them. He wouldn’t!

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
UCLA is such a hard team to root for. They make 1 great play and then 2 bonehead plays.

I've been enjoying them this year. I realize they still have talent but after losing Canada and Billings, and getting off to a slow start to the season, they seem like a bit of an underdog this year. On the verge of winning their 7th out of the last 8 games. I've been critical of Coach Close before but I think she's doing some good work this year. If you look at the rosters there's no good reason UCLA should be 4 games ahead of both Cal and USC in the standings, but that's where they are at.

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
80-74 final UCLA. 28 for Dean, 23 for Onyenwere and 13 for Burke. For Cal Anigwe finished w/ 27 pts 15 boards (11-14 FG), 18 for Thomas and 13 for Brown.

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
I've been enjoying them this year. I realize they still have talent but after losing Canada and Billings, and getting off to a slow start to the season, they seem like a bit of an underdog this year. On the verge of winning their 7th out of the last 8 games. I've been critical of Coach Close before but I think she's doing some good work this year. If you look at the rosters there's no good reason UCLA should be 4 games ahead of both Cal and USC in the standings, but that's where they are at.
You're right about that. They've come a long way since their very rocky nonconference schedule, where they took a loss to Loyola Marymount and went 0-3 at the Paradise Jam.

After Cal gets swept at the LA schools, it's definitely questionable which side of the bubble they're on. Their resume hangs almost entirely on the Stanford win. Cal's only other wins over the RPI top 100 (!) are over USC, BYU and St. Mary's.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Miami easily wins the most bizarre resume award of 2019

Notable wins: Louisville, ND, Syracuse, Marquette, UNC
Losses: Fla St, Clemson, Central Michigan, Purdue, Iowa St (by 23)

Plebe

Reaction Score
So does Miami have the three best wins of the year? I think they have a case
Yes, definitely.

When Miami beat ND, they had the best 2 wins of the year (ND plus Marquette).
Oregon narrowly overtook them when they beat Stanford on the road (combined with the win over Miss St).

But no one else is close to having 3 wins over the top 10. And this last one was on the road.

Reaction Score
So does Miami have the three best wins of the year? I think they have a case

If you did best 4, would be tight with ND.

Mia: Lou, ND, Marq, Syr
ND: Lou, Iowa, Marq, Ore St

Ore: MissSt, Stan, Ore St, Syr

Plebe

Reaction Score
As opposed to ANY team in the SEC not named MSU or SC? Give me UCLA any day and twice on Sunday vs. the SEC teams I watched today. Head bang
Ha well now that I think about it, I didn't watch any SEC games today. I didn't plan it that way ... but probably not a fluke either.

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
And to think.... Duke had Miami on the ropes a few weeks ago.... as as the late Dennis Green once state... "We let them off the hook" :mad:

Miami easily wins the most bizarre resume award of 2019

Notable wins: Louisville, ND, Syracuse, Marquette, UNC
Losses: Fla St, Clemson, Central Michigan, Purdue, Iowa St (by 23)

I think they beat Clemson if Montepremier played. FSU is a rivalry game... so you know what you do in those games :rolleyes:

TheFarmFan

Stanford Fan, Huskies Admirer
Reaction Score
Mute button! I guess I'm immune to her, she doesn't really get on my nerves like she does to you. I figure if I can listen to Bill Walton, I can handle ANYTHING.
Bill Walton is only enjoyable if you come home from drinks with friends, happen to see a basketball game on, and want to listen to someone with Tourettes and a 30-second attention span. (And I'm guessing he's probably wild fun if you happen to watch basketball while tripping...) If you're sober and want coherent commentary, look elsewhere - he's insufferable.

Fightin Choke

Golden Dome Fan
Reaction Score
Yes, definitely.

When Miami beat ND, they had the best 2 wins of the year (ND plus Marquette).
Oregon narrowly overtook them when they beat Stanford on the road (combined with the win over Miss St).

But no one else is close to having 3 wins over the top 10. And this last one was on the road.

Notre Dame beat #2 Louisville @ND, #8 Marquette away, and #9 Oregon St. in Vancouver.

And Oregon beat #5 Miss St and, #9 Oregon State at home and #10 Stanford at the farm.

Reaction Score
And to think.... Duke had Miami on the ropes a few weeks ago.... as as the late Dennis Green once state...

JPM: "They are who we thought they were. They were #7, #22, #32, ... "

Plebe

Reaction Score
Levy flopped on that in-bounds, so that was sort of a payback. And that announcer was so bias

Notre Dame beat #2 Louisville @ND, #8 Marquette away, and #9 Oregon St. in Vancouver.
Ah yes, I just remembered that a couple minutes ago. Very true.

Plebe

Reaction Score
Bill Walton is only enjoyable if you come home from drinks with friends, happen to see a basketball game on, and want to listen to someone with Tourettes and a 30-second attention span. (And I'm guessing he's probably wild fun if you happen to watch basketball while tripping...) If you're sober and want coherent commentary, look elsewhere - he's insufferable.
Well call me a weirdo because I love Walton. He's an incorrigible goofball and I find him hysterical. I realize he's a polarizing figure but I'm voting for him for president :)

Reaction Score
.. so you know what you do in those games :rolleyes:

With all the book throwing you do, I feel like you need to be on a reality show -- the "Real WC Basketball fans of NC".
Not quite the panache of drink throwing or table overturning, but reality TV premises are getting thinner every day.

Reaction Score

The clip of him eating the cupcake - with the candle still on it - is pretty funny. Largely to watch his play-by-play guy David Pasche crack up with a "I can't believe I have to work with this loon" expression.

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score

I can't believe he actually has fans, but apparently he does. He's a disgrace to his profession. He should just get a variety show, or do a podcast, but stay off of mainstream sports broadcasting. He's also frequently extremely disrespectful to his broadcast partner.

Plebe

Reaction Score
The clip of him eating the cupcake - with the candle still on it - is pretty funny. Largely to watch his play-by-play guy David Pasche crack up with a "I can't believe I have to work with this loon" expression.
Walton and Pasch make for such a classic funny guy/straight guy comedy pairing. Basketball's answer to Abbott and Costello. It's no coincidence that together they are a mainstay of ESPN's west coast coverage.

Pasch's constant mix of amusement and bewilderment at Walton's antics is comedy gold.

Reaction Score
Ugh. Really??

Geno must really think Griffin is special, after the experiences he had with Chong & AEH. Hope he's right. If I were him I'd have already been done with habitually underperforming Ossining players.
Chong ended up ok and AEH didn’t stay around. No reason to not think Griffin will be a solid contributor.

TheFarmFan

Stanford Fan, Huskies Admirer
Reaction Score
Walton and Pasch make for such a classic funny guy/straight guy comedy pairing. Basketball's answer to Abbott and Costello. It's no coincidence that together they are a mainstay of ESPN's west coast coverage.

Pasch's constant mix of amusement and bewilderment at Walton's antics is comedy gold.

Well, speaking as one of those West Coast fans, that "mainstay" turns me off of watching ESPN Pac-12 hoops altogether. Walton is like the epitome of the indulged and entitled baby boomer: he does what he wants, says what he wants, and doesn't care one iota about courtesy towards others, because 30 years ago he did something great, and somehow he thinks that gives him carte blanche to disregard everybody else and make literally zero effort.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom