Sunday 2/12 games; TAMU Over TN (merged threads) | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Sunday 2/12 games; TAMU Over TN (merged threads)

Reaction Score
I keep hoping they will end up as a 7 or 8 seed in UCONN's bracket. Fingers and toes crossed!!

Disagree. While it would be fun to beat them down despite their efforts to duck us, I'd much rather face an 8 seed with a high floor and low ceiling than the other way around. Think a team like Temple.

Tennessee has a low floor, but their ceiling is very high (see vs. ND).

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score
Yes, but Pat Summit was their coach.

And they had Chamique Holdsclaw.

Even with 9 losses, they were still a 3 seed because they played a brutal schedule and finished winning 10 of their last 13 entering the tournament. They also didn't have many bad losses.

Their losses were to:
LaTech twice-2 seed
ODU-1 seed
Stanford-1 seed
Arkansas-not a tournament team
Georgia-2 seed
Vanderbilt-6 seed
Florida-3 seed
LSU-4 seed
Auburn-7 seed

Most of those wins were hard fought and their effort/grit was never questioned like this team's is.

This year Tennessee has lost to:
Penn State-probably not a tournament team
Virginia Tech-probably not a tournament team
Baylor-likely 1 seed
Texas-likely a top 3 seed
Mississippi State-likely a top 2 seed
Auburn-likely not a tournament team
Ole Miss-likely not a tournament team
Georgia-likely not a tournament team
Texas A&M-likely a 6-9 seed

5 losses to teams probably not in the tournament and their effort has been in question all season. When the team has played hard, they've proven they can be a top 10 caliber squad by beating 3 top 10 teams and playing Texas very close. They can also collapse and lose to anybody.

In the NCAAs they'll be a terrifying 2nd round matchup for any top 4 seed because I really do believe they can upset anybody besides maybe UCONN, but they can also lose to any team in the field so it's a total crapshoot.

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
And they had Chamique Holdsclaw.

Even with 9 losses, they were still a 3 seed because they played a brutal schedule and finished winning 10 of their last 13 entering the tournament. They also didn't have many bad losses.

Their losses were to:
LaTech twice-2 seed
ODU-1 seed
Stanford-1 seed
Arkansas-not a tournament team
Georgia-2 seed
Vanderbilt-6 seed
Florida-3 seed
LSU-4 seed
Auburn-7 seed

Most of those wins were hard fought and their effort/grit was never questioned like this team's is.

This year Tennessee has lost to:
Penn State-probably not a tournament team
Virginia Tech-probably not a tournament team
Baylor-likely 1 seed
Texas-likely a top 3 seed
Mississippi State-likely a top 2 seed
Auburn-likely not a tournament team
Ole Miss-likely not a tournament team
Georgia-likely not a tournament team
Texas A&M-likely a 6-9 seed

5 losses to teams probably not in the tournament and their effort has been in question all season. When the team has played hard, they've proven they can be a top 10 caliber squad by beating 3 top 10 teams and playing Texas very close. They can also collapse and lose to anybody.

In the NCAAs they'll be a terrifying 2nd round matchup for any top 4 seed because I really do believe they can upset anybody besides maybe UCONN, but they can also lose to any team in the field so it's a total crapshoot.

Very interesting to compare those two teams. Just one minor correction: Auburn is likely a tournament team, projected by Charlie as a 7-seed as of last Monday. The loss to Georgia might drop them down to an 8 or so, but they're still more in than out.

Last edited:

Phil

Stats Geek
Reaction Score
Tennessee, as only they can, snatched defeat from the jaws of victory by going the last 9 minutes and 20 seconds of the game without a field goal !
They lost by 2 thanks to a 5 point explosion in the last quarter !
A&M, offensively challenged themselves, took advantage of the Lady Vols completely misidentifying the basketball for a cobblestone and eked out the 2 point win on a put back with 5 seconds left in the game.
Tennessee had the last chance to tie or win the game but Russell's baseline hook went clang off the rim and everyone then knew for whom the bell tolls.

Sorry to be nitpicky, but I have seen 9:20 several places and it isn't correct. My guess is someone misreported and everyone s copying it.

TN scored basket at 9:20.
TN scored again at 8:49 (to extend the lead to double digits)

They would not score another basket, although Nared would make one of two free throws at 3:40

I have also seen it reported that TN went without a field goal for 8:45 which is true, but is the right answer only if one should always round to the nearest quarter minute.

OK, back to the carcass picking.

HuskyFan1125

"Dont be the same, be better"
Reaction Score
I tuned into the first half of this game and saw Durr wasn't starting. LaChina Robinson said she was out for the game, I assumed for injury but she was serving a one game suspension.

No Durr — no problem

Phil

Stats Geek
Reaction Score
Tennessee fans say the big wins are because of the players and the loses are because of the coach. Don't get me wrong, I don't think Warwick is a very good coach, but that logic is just wrong. Players have to be responsible for some of the loses just like the coach has to be responsible for some of the wins

Obviously, Holly should be "farred" for instructing her team to miss their last eleven shots. Even I wouldn't tell them to do that.

Blueballer

Transhumanist Consultant
Reaction Score
With just under 3 minutes to play, a ball went out of bounds and was called off DeShields, though in the replay it was clear that it was off Williams of A&M. Someone on VolNation has already penned and posted an outraged email to the NCAA coordinator of officiating LOL.

That's alright. They blew a pretty decent lead. Can't blame that on 1 posession. ALSO the last shot of the game TENN got was gifted by the time keeper. TAMU had a couple of fouls to give. TENN inbounded the ball 3 times with 4 seconds left on the clock. It looked more like about 7 seconds actual time. They did get that last shot off but missed it.

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
A&M would be a 5 or 4 seed right now.

Whom in the top 16 do you think they might have overtaken in the past week?

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
I doubt Pat Summitt would win any NC in this decade with the players Holly had.
Maybe not, but I guarantee you that the current team would be a whole lot better than 14-9 if Pat was coaching it.

Reaction Score
Sorry to be nitpicky, but I have seen 9:20 several places and it isn't correct. My guess is someone misreported and everyone s copying it.

TN scored basket at 9:20.
TN scored again at 8:49 (to extend the lead to double digits)

They would not score another basket, although Nared would make one of two free throws at 3:40

I have also seen it reported that TN went without a field goal for 8:45 which is true, but is the right answer only if one should always round to the nearest quarter minute.

OK, back to the carcass picking.

You are correct. Upon further review, Russell scored a basket at the 8:49 mark of the fourth quarter. Their last field goal of the quarter.

Reaction Score
Tennessee, as only they can, snatched defeat from the jaws of victory by going the last 9 minutes and 20 seconds of the game without a field goal !
They lost by 2 thanks to a 5 point explosion in the last quarter !
A&M, offensively challenged themselves, took advantage of the Lady Vols completely misidentifying the basketball for a cobblestone and eked out the 2 point win on a put back with 5 seconds left in the game.
Tennessee had the last chance to tie or win the game but Russell's baseline hook went clang off the rim and everyone then knew for whom the bell tolls.

Incredible! And the Super Star DD went 4-12. Tell me again how she goes early in the first round of the WNBA draft.

Reaction Score
Tenn's visit to the top 25 was very short lived. Lost 2 out of their last 3 to unranked Georgia and aTm. I keep hoping they will end up as a 7 or 8 seed in UCONN's bracket. Fingers and toes crossed!!

It would be poetic justice if Temple, which Connecticut recently defeated by a whole bunch, were to rise to #25, while Tennessee, which refuses to play UConn, drops off the deep end!

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Incredible! And the Super Star DD went 4-12. Tell me again how she goes early in the first round of the WNBA draft.
I wouldn't draft her, but I guarantee you some WNBA GM will look at a highlight reel of DD's best plays, see her incredible athleticism, and feel certain that their organization can provide DD with the structure and coaching that can turn her into a superstar.

This is exactly why coaches and GM's get fired. :(

Reaction Score
By the numbers: After 3 quarters, TN was 22 for 50 (44%), and A&M was 18 for 48 (37.5%). A&M was consistent, going 6 for 16 in the 4th quarter (37.5% again), but TN missed their last 11 shots and was only 2 for 13 for the quarter (15.4%).

Rocket009

Santa Cruz. CA
Reaction Score
Maybe not, but I guarantee you that the current team would be a whole lot better than 14-9 if Pat was coaching it.

Absolutely! And there would be several players warming the bench instead of starting.

Reaction Score
Whom in the top 16 do you think they might have overtaken in the past week?
I did say 5 or 4 (with 5 purposely listed first), but UCLA is vulnerable after losing 2 straight, and DePaul is in a weak-ish conference.

Rocket009

Santa Cruz. CA
Reaction Score
All the ranked ACC teams playing today have either won or are leading big.

ND beat Georgia Tech 90-69.
Miami leads Clemson.
Duke up on Pitt.

Good to see a new contributor to the boneyard from NC State. I'm encouraging my NC State friends in NC to stop going to the men's games and to start supporting the women. They'd be much happier people if they did.

Reaction Score
Napheesa shot 4 -11 yesterday should Geno bench her
Let's see: DD is shooting 43% from the field, compared with 68% for Collier. 9 RPG for Napheesa compared with under 7 for DD. And Collier has anchored an undefeated team ranked #1, while DD is on a team that just lost its 9th game of this year, which comes after 14 losses last year.

Comparison?

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom