Sunday 1/13 Games Thread (non-UConn) | Page 5 | The Boneyard

Sunday 1/13 Games Thread (non-UConn)

Reaction Score
Clemson about to upset Florida State, leading 53-45, 1:21 to go.

Amanda Butler has it going on at Clemson, which has been down, down down for the last 15 seasons or so. Good to see them back to playing solid ball.

Amanda Butler is an awful coach, but she out-coached Sue today, not sure what that says about Sue. FSU fell flat on its face today, ugly, ugly, ugly. After losing all 5 starters from last years squad I ll take a 14-2 record at this current juncture (although the OCC schedule was weak). Notre Dame may beat us by 50 :eek:

Reaction Score
And that leaves Vandy as the only winless team in the SEC. The Dores got pounded today by an Arkansas team that probably wont even make the NCAAT. 47-20 at halftime.

Stephanie White is shaping up as an utter disaster as coach. Stunning.

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
Today was carnage in the SEC for the favorites: Mizzou lost to Florida, Kentucky lost to Ole Miss, and Tennessee, well...

Meanwhile, South Carolina may be finding a groove. They are up 16 on LSU in 4Q.

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
Oregon has flipped the script on UCLA--killing them w/ O boards and second chance points. That's usually the Bruins M.O. Just pushed the lead to 20 in Q4 62-42.

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
Now Oregon is up almost 30, looks like UCLA has folded. Oregon schools go 4-0 in LA this weekend.

The Pac 12 standings are stratifying much more quickly than I expected. Stanford, Oregon and Oregon St. undefeated, Utah w/ one loss (25 points and 12 boards for Megan Huff today). Everybody else quickly falling behind the pace.

Reaction Score
Amanda Butler is an awful coach, but she out-coached Sue today, not sure what that says about Sue. FSU fell flat on its face today, ugly, ugly, ugly. After losing all 5 starters from last years squad I ll take a 14-2 record at this current juncture (although the OCC schedule was weak). Notre Dame may beat us by 50 :eek:
What sort of coach Butler is remains to be seen: after her firing at FL she used it as a basketball sabbatical, visited several other programs and tried to update her coaching skills. Maybe she has improved, only time will tell.

Plebe

Reaction Score
Now Oregon is up almost 30, looks like UCLA has folded. Oregon schools go 4-0 in LA this weekend.

The Pac 12 standings are stratifying much more quickly than I expected. Stanford, Oregon and Oregon St. undefeated, Utah w/ one loss (25 points and 12 boards for Megan Huff today). Everybody else quickly falling behind the pace.
Three of Utah's opponents have been Colorado and the Washington schools. They're no further behind the pace than the Arizona schools.

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
Three of Utah's opponents have been Colorado and the Washington schools. They're no further behind the pace than the Arizona schools.

Certainly their schedule has been beneficial, but they are capitalizing on it. 3 or their 4 wins have been on the road too, which is always a plus.

ASU of course needs to take care of business and beat Cal today. If the Bears lose, they will drop to 1-3.

USC fell to 0-5 today. I think they started 0-4 last year before finishing 9-9. They'll be pretty fortunate to get back to .500 this year. 3 of those losses have been at home, which really puts them in a bad position. I wasn't wowed by their hiring of Trakh for another stint. Not looking so good in year 2. Next 3 are @ UCLA and @ the Arizona schools. They could easily lose all 3 and drop to 0-8.

Plebe

Reaction Score
Certainly their schedule has been beneficial, but they are capitalizing on it. 3 or their 4 wins have been on the road too, which is always a plus.

ASU of course needs to take care of business and beat Cal today. If the Bears lose, they will drop to 1-3.

USC fell to 0-5 today. I think they started 0-4 last year before finishing 9-9. They'll be pretty fortunate to get back to .500 this year. 3 of those losses have been at home, which really puts them in a bad position. I wasn't wowed by their hiring of Trakh for another stint. Not looking so good in year 2. Next 3 are @ UCLA and @ the Arizona schools. They could easily lose all 3 and drop to 0-8.
Both Cal and ASU will be highly motivated coming off losses. Could be a good game. Will be interesting to see how ASU guards Anigwe. It'll likely come down to whether Cal can hit enough 3s to free up space for Anigwe to operate.

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
Sabally maybe has discovered the magic formula for consistency (or maybe it's just experience). Anyway she's been good throughout conference play. She and Hebard combined for 38 points and 29 rebounds (!) today. Clearly got the upper hand against Onyenwere and Drummer.

wallman

UCLA Bruin
Reaction Score
Laimbeer at UO-UCLA game. They said it's the first time he's seen Ionescu play live. Hmmm, does he know something about her draft status?

Ionescu 5/19 2/8 on 3 6 assists but 4 turnovers.

cockhrnleghrn

Crowing rooster
Reaction Score
What sort of coach Butler is remains to be seen: after her firing at FL she used it as a basketball sabbatical, visited several other programs and tried to update her coaching skills. Maybe she has improved, only time will tell.
Ok coach, mediocre recruiter. She won’t recruit well at that school in the SC Upstate.

Plebe

Reaction Score
Stanford and Oregon were extremely dominant this weekend. Oregon State also impressive. Those three figured to be the cream of the crop in the Pac-12. After Oregon struggled at home vs. Washington and Stanford struggled at home vs. UCLA, they have settled for now any questions about their favored status.

It'll be interesting to see how many wins the middle tier of Utah-Arizona-ASU-Cal-UCLA can get over the top tier of Oregon-Stanford-OSU.

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
Ionescu 5/19 2/8 on 3 6 assists but 4 turnovers.

She started out 3-3. Went way south after that. Good thing her buddies picked her up today.

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
Stanford and Oregon were extremely dominant this weekend. Oregon State also impressive. Those three figured to be the cream of the crop in the Pac-12. After Oregon struggled at home vs. Washington and Stanford struggled at home vs. UCLA, they have settled for now any questions about their favored status.

It'll be interesting to see how many wins the middle tier of Utah-Arizona-ASU-Cal-UCLA can get over the top tier of Oregon-Stanford-OSU.

Last weekend we got a bunch of games that went down to the wire. This weekend we got quite a few blowouts.

Plebe

Reaction Score
The ASU-Cal game has been nip and tuck the entire way. Cal now up 41-40 in 3Q. Anigwe has been off but other Cal players picking up the slack. Ibis for ASU is having a big game, 16 pts so far.

jonson

Oregonian
Reaction Score
Sabally maybe has discovered the magic formula for consistency (or maybe it's just experience). Anyway she's been good throughout conference play. She and Hebard combined for 38 points and 29 rebounds (!) today. Clearly got the upper hand against Onyenwere and Drummer.

A somewhat disappointing game for me in some respects, although maybe I'm just spoiled by the last couple, since it was a 20-point win on the road and never really in doubt. Not a very good game for Ionescu, less than Oregon-standard shooting overall, and a few too many turnovers. On the other hand, the defense was solid, by Oregon standards anyway, and Sabally really has made a major step forward, both in her aggressiveness and rebounding: so far, her Pac 12 lines (pts. and rebounds) have been 19/12, 25/7, 26/7, and 19/11. (Her season averages are 17.5 and 6.0.). She also has quite a few steals. That's (I hope) a sophomore turning the proverbial corner and beginning to tap her considerable potential. If she keeps it up, and there are no more major injuries, I think this Oregon team will be better than last year's.

Reaction Score
I wonder if Maci Morris will play this Thursday. She sat out with knee pain today.

Plebe

Reaction Score
Ionescu may have had a somewhat off game, but someone who didn't was Syracuse PG Tiana Mangakahia, who notched a triple-double with 34 points, 10 rebounds, 10 assists.

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
I only caught the tail end of ASU-Cal. Sun Devils are cardiac kids. Cal got the ball in to Anigwe deep in the post with a chance to win the game, can't ask for better than that, but she didn't get the bucket.

Reaction Score
Sabally certainly on the rise...
I think Germanys women N.T has a bright future with all the talent they have coming through. Never been a powerhouse in basketball but it looks asthough they might become one.

Plebe

Reaction Score
Reili Richardson of ASU was fouled by Anigwe with 4.6 seconds on the clock, and she made 1 of 2 FTs to break the tie.

After two timeouts, Cal tries to run a lob play to Anigwe but Richardson strips the ball on the catch. ASU wins, 62-61.

Kianna Ibis had an amazing game, 26 points on 9-12 FG. Anigwe had 21 but was only 5-17 on FGs, but 11-12 from FTs.

Cal drops to 1-3 in conference. They've now lost 4 of their last 5 games dating back to the UConn game.
ASU moves to 3-2.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom