Sunday 1/13 Games Thread (non-UConn) | Page 6 | The Boneyard

Sunday 1/13 Games Thread (non-UConn)

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
Pac 12 POW predictions? Some good candidates, I'd say between Stanford's Smith, OSU's Pivec or Oregon's Sabally. Or maybe Huff from Utah.

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
Pac 12 POW predictions? Some good candidates, I'd say between Stanford's Smith, OSU's Pivec or Oregon's Sabally. Or maybe Huff from Utah.
Will be Smith, Sabally or Huff. My pick is Smith.

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
Will be Smith, Sabally or Huff. My pick is Smith.

Why rule out Pivec? 21 points both games, high FG%, (14-21 combined for a guard!) carried them in the first half against UCLA and mostly responsible for opening the big lead in Q3 against USC. 7 rebounds each game. I'd say she stacks up evenly with the other 3.

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
Smith...
24pts, 11rbds, 5 blks vs UCLA
25pts, 6rbds vs Arizona State
20pts 14rbds, 7blks vs Arizona

Have to remove the UCLA game, it would be based on the games against the 2 Arizona schools. She's very worthy, but all 4 I mentioned are.

Bigboote

That's big-boo-TAY
Reaction Score
Sorry I haven't read the whole thread, but I just finished watching the second SECN game on DVR. I have to say:

It's a great day when Tennessee and Missouri are both upset!

Reaction Score
Have to remove the UCLA game, it would be based on the games against the 2 Arizona schools. She's very worthy, but all 4 I mentioned are.
This will not be an easy decision. Stanford was the only team (of the 4 mentioned) that played on their home court. Looking at the stats for all 4, they should give the award to all 4.

Plebe

Reaction Score
Why rule out Pivec? 21 points both games, high FG%, (14-21 combined for a guard!) carried them in the first half against UCLA and mostly responsible for opening the big lead in Q3 against USC. 7 rebounds each game. I'd say she stacks up evenly with the other 3.
Eh, these awards are not that nuanced. It's going to Smith; she's the one who stuffed the stat sheet the most in dominant wins over a higher level of competition (one ranked team and another team fresh off a win over a ranked team).

Plebe

Reaction Score
This will not be an easy decision. Stanford was the only team (of the 4 mentioned) that played on their home court. Looking at the stats for all 4, they should give the award to all 4.
Stanford played at the Arizona schools.

Reaction Score
Eh, these awards are not that nuanced. It's going to Smith; she's the one who stuffed the stat sheet the most in dominant wins over a higher level of competition (one ranked team and another team fresh off a win over a ranked team).
Probably correct. It really makes the award somewhat meaningless, because it could be proven that any one of these players (Smith, Pivec, Saboly, Huff) was most deserving.

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
I have no beef w/ Smith getting the POW, was just pointing out there were several highly deserving players this week.

wallman

UCLA Bruin
Reaction Score
She started out 3-3. Went way south after that. Good thing her buddies picked her up today.

Sure did. One of my pet peeves of Graves has been not utilizing his other players in the pursuit of stat padding.

jonson

Oregonian
Reaction Score
Sure did. One of my pet peeves of Graves has been not utilizing his other players in the pursuit of stat padding.

Just out of curiosity, if you were a coach with only 3 guards on the active roster, and one of those a freshman, how would you handle the minutes in an away game against a team with a lot of speed and athleticism? The breakdown by minutes at USC on Friday (Ionescu, Cazorla, Chavez) was 35, 30, 26. and at UCLA on Sunday 37, 33, 11. What players didn't Graves utilize or utilize inadequately? (As you must know, the other reserve guard at Oregon is out indefinitely with a bad back.)

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom