Summer Session coming up | Page 4 | The Boneyard

Summer Session coming up

Reaction Score
it's a good sign to see lots of Ziebell in these practices. I think she's getting a safe 10-15 minutes a game.

Disappointed to not see Morgan though, probably due to the hamstring issues.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
it's a good sign to see lots of Ziebell in these practices. I think she's getting a safe 10-15 minutes a game.

Disappointed to not see Morgan though, probably due to the hamstring issues.

Allie has that quick release and accurate shot. I can see her putting up 10 points in 2-3 minutes.

Reaction Score
Huskies in action.

I've seen enough. Most talented team in the country! Im gonna dissect cuz I can't help it but Jana looks like a true big, pretty physical. Embarrassingly I can't tell who hits the layup in the 2nd clip, I think it's Q.

Reaction Score
I don't know if she's speculating, but Maggie Vanoni's new article says Chen and Strong are likely to be starters.
Yes, eventually. Maybe not in November. More importantly, they could well be starters in March.

Reaction Score
I don't know if she's speculating, but Maggie Vanoni's new article says Chen and Strong are likely to be starters.
Yeah idk. I doubt Geno's picking starting lineups in June but I can see them both starting. They do essentially play the same positions that the seniors that left did. Honestly I'm not sure you can go wrong with a starting lineup with a combination of their top ten players if healthy. Maybe bringing Paige off the bench would be the one way. Other than that if you told me KC, AzziF, PB, SS, and Jana started I'd be content. If you told me KK AS PB Ice and AP would start id be equally as content.

Reaction Score
Geno spoke about how Chen’s transition has been seamless (paraphrasing) due to her having played four years under Berube. Princeton definitely looked like a UConn-lite from the games I’ve seen, so her potentially starting doesn’t come as a surprise to me at all.

Reaction Score
She seems to be saying starters in general, not down the line.
Yes. So I thought too. I was humbly disagreeing with her. But I suspect one or the other of Kaitlyn and KK will always be on the floor, not often both at once, and rarely neither of them.

This is the money quote from Geno that Maggie seems to be relying on:

“You go, ‘Well, we lost Nika. So, do we just kind of roll with what we have? Or do we try to find another guard to play that position? That can add something that we don't have?’” Auriemma said. “(Chen) she's a little different than KK (Arnold). She’s a little different than Ash (Shade) and a little different than Paige (Bueckers). She's different. She just adds a little bit of spice and a little bit of difference to what we're doing. … They’re going to have to guard this kid.”​

This doesn't explicitly include a starting speculation as I read it. But it's clear that Geno wants her to have important minutes. And that he thinks of her both in terms of making up for what they've lost with Nika and adding something else as a scorer. He liked that she can control a game, which was also one of Nike's virtues. Last season, Nika typically played alongside KK, but that may have been largely because of the rash of injuries. Under ideal circumstances, there will be too many other options next season to make that desirable, which is why I think KK and Kaitlyn will platoon at the pg.

If I had to guess -- and I'm wrong somewhat more often than I'm right -- I suspect KK will start in November merely because she has more direct experience with Geno's system. But she'll eventually give way to Kaitlyn, who has run a team with a very similar system quite well and has a good bit more maturity and sang froid.

It is also telling that when Geno ticks off the guard options, it's Kaitlyn, KK, Ash and Paige. He stops the list there. I read this as him thinking about who will be available right away. Azzi, Allie and Morgan are still a little further away, for various reasons.

Huskee11

The Sultan
Reaction Score
I fully expect Chen to start but both Chen and KK will get significant minutes. They will be on the floor together frequently.

An opponent's best perimeter defender may be able to keep one of them in front of her, but its second best defender will rarely be able to keep the other one in front.

Did I say that right? :confused:

Reaction Score
Wasn’t sure where to post this, but it’s too funny to not share.

IMG_2949.jpeg

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TTown

Top Bottom