Sue Bird, Diana Taurasi open door for Team USA return | The Boneyard

Sue Bird, Diana Taurasi open door for Team USA return

Reaction Score
"It's just year-to-year. The reason I'm so hesitant is because my last four years have been unique in that I was on a little bit of a downward spiral," Bird said. "Through a variety of different things I was able to turn it around. You don't necessarily hear a 35-year-old doing that. I'm hesitant because I know what could be. The best way to achieve any goal is to think long term and go back to the short term. I'm really in the short term. I had that knee surgery and I'm just focused to getting back to being myself."
"I think it's easy to group us in a lot of ways," the Seattle point guard said. I'm sure the decision will kind of, sort of be together, but at the same time, separate."

Bird, Taurasi open door for Team USA return

Reaction Score
Saying "open door" implies that it was ever closed. I always figured there was a decent shot DT would be back in 2020. I was less sure about Sue since it seems like she's had more injuries lately - and is 2 yrs older. But she was the starter on the Gold medal team -- she's still gonna be pretty darn good if healthy.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
I thought that Dee, being younger, had a 50-50 chance for Tokyo if she remained healthy, fit, and effective. I thought Sue was unlikely. Sue is correct in that we should take it one year at a time, but if I were picking a team for 2017, I'd put Sue on it for sure. She's averaging a career high 8.1 apg.

Orangutan

South Bend Simian
Reaction Score
At some point, USAB has to bite the bullet and bring in new guards, but realistically they are never turning down Bird or Taurasi if either of them wants to play.

If you don't bring in some new blood in 2018, you run the risk of lacking experienced guards for 2020. It's unwise to plan your roster around players in their late 30s.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
At some point, USAB has to bite the bullet and bring in new guards, but realistically if they are never turning down Bird or Taurasi if either of them wants to play.
I agree about bringing in new blood. The devil is in the details--who and when? Many thought that USA BB would have done it in 2016. I think that it depends on how Sue and Dee are playing. Sue is the oldest player in the league and still the smartest and best PG. Dee is about to become the all-time leading scorer and is still sharp. Both were outstanding in Rio. Let's see how they play in 2018 and 2019. Though they may be very old in 2020, they may still be the best at their positions.

I'm curious as to the thoughts of the committee. I think they prefer a pass-first PG, which works for Sloot and Moriah but against Skylar and Odyssey. I see Moriah replacing Sue or Lindsay and Jewell replacing Seimone by 2020.

iamcbs

Buckeye Guest
Reaction Score
At some point, USAB has to bite the bullet and bring in new guards, but realistically they are never turning down Bird or Taurasi if either of them wants to play.

If you don't bring in some new blood in 2018, you run the risk of lacking experienced guards for 2020. It's unwise to plan your roster around players in their late 30s.
I wholeheartedly agree, it's time for both DT3 and Sue to step aside. They both have 4 Gold Medals. It's time for some of the younger players to get a shot because as long as both are willing to play, they'll make the team.

Reaction Score
I agree about bringing in new blood. The devil is in the details--who and when? Many thought that USA BB would have done it in 2016. I think that it depends on how Sue and Dee are playing. Sue is the oldest player in the league and still the smartest and best PG. Dee is about to become the all-time leading scorer and is still sharp. Both were outstanding in Rio. Let's see how they play in 2018 and 2019. Though they may be very old in 2020, they may still be the best at their positions.

I'm curious as to the thoughts of the committee. I think they prefer a pass-first PG, which works for Sloot and Moriah but against Skylar and Odyssey. I see Moriah replacing Sue or Lindsay and Jewell replacing Seimone by 2020.

Vandersloot is out of the USA pool -- she took on Hungarian citizenship and has logged minutes for their national team. It happened kind of recently I think, within the year or so, so I guess she talked to someone in USA Basketball and didn't see a future with the national team.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
I love my UConn guards but it is time to move on, at least in Sue's case. DT is a somewhat different story because of her style of play. Time to bring at least 1 new PG into Team USA.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
I agree with Mil in theory on bringing in new blood, but Catchings was pretty much the last person on the 2016 Olympic team for her swan song. She probably made the team at the expense of Parker. So while I agree in theory with new blood, these players are professionals at the top of their game.

You don't hear people talking about how they need to do this on the men's side, so why on the woman's side? Players spend so little time actually playing for Team USA, I would almost argue you don't need to "acclimate" any of them as far as gradually introducing new blood. Most of the best players play all over the world, and have plenty of experience with international rules. I would argue you pick the best team regardless of how "old" and let the newbies make the teams when they deserve to.

It will all work out in the long run. I think there were better players than Catchings who did not make the team, but you didn't hear for anyone calling for her to be cut to make room for them.

Reaction Score
DT - Bird - Whalen will not all be back, so there will be at least 1 new guard.
Not sure about Augustus either (who will be 37).

The near sure-things are Tina, EDD, Griner, Maya, Stewie.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
Eric - the last time the USA team brought in a bunch of new blood they bombed at the 2006 worlds, and then some of the old guard returned for the Olympics and righted the ship - that was early days for Sue and DT and Catchings and it wasn't that pretty. While all the players play internationally and in the WNBA, they do so as the featured players on whatever team they are playing on. That is very different from being a bench player on the NT team and requires a delicate balance and careful orchestration - players who have been on the team understand that, those that haven't may not.

As you say, you can look at the men's history - pre coach K what a nightmare the NT was - clearly the most talented and most underachieving team in international competition.

With a new coach, even one with a long history of USA basketball participation, it will be an interesting transition - I doubt 2 of the 3 guards will be around for 2020 from the 2016 team (and all three could be gone), but all three could conceivably be there for the 2018 worlds. With Catchings gone her 'spot' may well be taken by a guard in training - last WC it was Sims. It will also be interesting to see who is available for the WC - Parker for example has not been available for the past two and there have been other injuries that opened the door for players like Dupree.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Vandersloot is out of the USA pool -- she took on Hungarian citizenship and has logged minutes for their national team. It happened kind of recently I think, within the year or so, so I guess she talked to someone in USA Basketball and didn't see a future with the national team.
Thanks. I forgot about Sloot's commitment until I saw your post.

Reaction Score
For the world championships in 2018, i say take Bird and a young PG to groom. ,MoJeff will be the perfect such guard for the 2020 Olympics you' have then MoJeff as the starting PG with another young PG as her backup. DT will be on the 2020 team if she feels like it.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Our 3 best players in Rio were Sue, Dee, and Maya. Sue's assist to TO ratio was something like 38:4 at one point. In the game that she missed due to injury, we struggled. Diana shot almost 60% from the arc. Maya was the energizer bunny and did a little of everything. They showed that they deserved to be there. Based on how they are playing this year, Sue and Dee haven't lost anything.

The primary goal for USA BB is to field the best team. That, as a reminder, doesn't necessarily mean the 12 best players. If we field a lesser team to get younger and build for the future, we risk losing one of the tough games. In Istanbul, Spain played us even in the championship game other than Maya's scoring spurt.

I like the idea of getting younger, but not if the team is not as good. This is not about equity or sharing. Age and injury may take their toll in 3 years, but if Sue and Dee are playing as well as anyone, I'd put them on the team.

Of the younger players coming up, few if any compare to the all-time greats. I think Nneka should easily make the team. I think Moriah and Jewell would be good additions. I think Jewell replaces Seimone in time. Looking out to 2022 or so, I think Napheesa would be a great addition. Azura and Megan could be Olympians in their mid-20s. I expect that Wilson and maybe Turner will be Olympians in time.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Wilson next time. Staley's in charge.
As we know, the coaches don't pick the team, but Dawn being the coach sure helps A'ja. Frankly, I'm not sure she's ready for 2018, but she probably will be for 2020. I'd take Tina, Nneka, Britney, Stewie, and Sylvia over her.

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
The primary goal for USA BB is to field the best team. That, as a reminder, doesn't necessarily mean the 12 best players. If we field a lesser team to get younger and build for the future, we risk losing one of the tough games. In Istanbul, Spain played us even in the championship game other than Maya's scoring spurt.

If they don't start to look to the future in '20, what is '24 gonna look like? Anyway that's still 3 years away. How Bird, Taurasi, Whalen, Augustus etc. are playing right now is completely irrelevant.

Reaction Score
Let's not discredit an athlete, Wilson's time is coming because she's a great player.

It's not discrediting her in the least bit. In a crowded stage, it just makes things just a little more likely, just like it did for Stewart in 2016.

Reaction Score
Dunno. Front line is crowded with Tina, Griner, Stewie and possibly Fowles.

When isn't it crowded, but they made room for somebody fresh out of college in 2016. Staley could make the same argument for Wilson. The tough part... can Parker and Ogwumike be passed over again? Should be an interesting process to observe.

Reaction Score
When isn't it crowded, but they made room for somebody fresh out of college in 2016. Staley could make the same argument for Wilson. The tough part... can Parker and Ogwumike be passed over again? Should be an interesting process to observe.

Parker is toast. The fact still remains that there are 2 players at her position who are better - EDD & Stew.

Nneka will be a fierce competitor. If the Olympics were 2018, she'd easily make it over Wilson. But since it's 2020 ...

Reaction Score
Wilson should be a strong possibility for 2020. By that time she actually would have played 2 seasons of WNBA and proved herself...2018 seems too early as Kneka will (should) be in front of her and the USA front line is fairly young...

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
Eric - the last time the USA team brought in a bunch of new blood they bombed at the 2006 worlds, and then some of the old guard returned for the Olympics and righted the ship - that was early days for Sue and DT and Catchings and it wasn't that pretty. While all the players play internationally and in the WNBA, they do so as the featured players on whatever team they are playing on. That is very different from being a bench player on the NT team and requires a delicate balance and careful orchestration - players who have been on the team understand that, those that haven't may not.

This really is the issue, I think. No coach wants to be that coach. Geno wanted to head in to the world championships and olympics with guards he could trust and I'm sure Dawn will feel the same way. USA BB gave Sims a shot as the 3rd point guard at the 2014 world championships but she barely played (and didn't look so hot in the minutes she did get). USA BB went in to the 2016 Olympics with Taurasi as the 3rd point guard which tells you something. We'll see next year who USA BB thinks is worthy of taking the reins from Sue Bird and Lindsay Whalen.

Reaction Score
USA BB gave Sims a shot as the 3rd point guard at the 2014 world championships but she barely played (and didn't look so hot in the minutes she did get).

I have this theory that Sims was added to the 2014 team in a fairly desperate ploy to help lure Griner into Team USA camp. If you remember, Griner passed on the 2012 camp for personal reasons and didn't show up in 2014 until the last possible moment. Geno has a ton of respect for Griner. Lavender rightfully earned a place on the 2014 team through performances in camp, but Griner was automatic if she showed up.

Was Sims better than Diggins? No way.... and Diggins proceeded to have her best year in the WNBA.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dixiedog

Top Bottom