Subway to sell to Arby's | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Subway to sell to Arby's

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
I concur about Pub Subs. Love their Cubano sub. I agree with others that Jersey Mike's is very good. I am in FL so there are several close to me. I also will try Subway in a pinch but I am used to a foot long for $6. Their prices have gone up quite a bit. I was in CT last week and paid close to $10 for 6 inch sub and cookie. I did not have a car that night so I could not drive to better grinder shops. In FL, Firehouse Subs is another good choice. Close to me and not too expensive.

As a side note yesterday was National Cuban Sandwich Day. And, when done right, the Cuban is the GOAT of sandwiches/subs/grinders/hoagies.

As for Pub Subs, I'm an Ultimate kind of guy unless I absolutely want to go comatose, in which case, the chicken tender sub is the way to go.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Yup. Ridiculous. I tried buying a lb. of good Pastrami (plate, not the garbage round cut) from a Deli last week and it was 21 dollars a lb. I left.

So I took matters into my own hands. Enough is enough. I bought a 10lb Brisket at Costco for 2.99 a lb.
Then I threw it into a plastic tub with some Prague Powder#1 and Kosher Salt and a couple gallons of water for 4 days to turn it into Corned Beef:
View attachment 90940

And then on Day 5 I rubbed it and smoked it and turned into Pastrami.

View attachment 90941

Im entertaining offers from Roark Capital offering to buy my new company. Because I will not buy deli meat. Ever.

Yeah, that looks really good.

Reaction Score
I live on the shoreline in Connecticut. A giant sub from Jersey Mikes is around 20 dollars which is steep. But they have specials. This week it is buy one get one, so that is two giant subs for 20 dollars. They also have a reward club where after a certain amount of points you get free subs. I try to support the local sub shops, but their subs are also in the 10-12 dollar range and not as full as a Jersey Mike sub that has all the fixings

Reaction Score
In FL, Firehouse Subs is another good choice. Close to me and not too expensive.
Ugh, I hate that place. They opened one in Boston's Back Bay. I had it a couple times and it was gross. The place closed after about a year so I guess most people here agreed with me.

Reaction Score
Yup. Ridiculous. I tried buying a lb. of good Pastrami (plate, not the garbage round cut) from a Deli last week and it was 21 dollars a lb. I left.

So I took matters into my own hands. Enough is enough. I bought a 10lb Brisket at Costco for 2.99 a lb.
Then I threw it into a plastic tub with some Prague Powder#1 and Kosher Salt and a couple gallons of water for 4 days to turn it into Corned Beef:
View attachment 90940

And then on Day 5 I rubbed it and smoked it and turned into Pastrami.

View attachment 90941

Im entertaining offers from Roark Capital offering to buy my new company. Because I will not buy deli meat. Ever.
Can I come over for lunch?

Mr. French

Tremendous Individual
Reaction Score
The Wreck with the works at Potbelly's is my favorite sub sandwich from a national chain. I like Jersey Mike's but I tend to go to the local deli shops in my town.

Potbellys is excellent - DiBella's is old-fashioned HUGE subs that are mostly NY but some on the East Coast. Both great for chains.

Horatio

Cohesion is the Key
Reaction Score
1. D’Angelo’s
2. Nardelis
3. Jersey Mikes

JCSuperstar

Garbage Time All Star
Reaction Score
I'm here to Stan for DiBella's. S Tier in the franchised sandwich game.

Since most BY food-posters won't mix with the hoi polloi at a franchise shop, Mikee's place in Southbury is great and I recently made it to Gaetano's in Milford and it was worth the hype too.

Reaction Score
Jersey Mike's has the best quality meats for a chain. The roast beef is very good. I think its about as good as any sub shop if you put some thought into your order. IMO, you need to get the flavors found in a great Italian deli represented on your sandwich. Banana peppers, roasted red peppers, onion etc. You can't just be lazy about it.

My go to at Jersey Mike's is ham, provolone, red pepper relish, lettuce, onion, banana peppers, oil, vinegar, salt, pepper, oregano and a light schmear of mayo. The mayo is key, they always sneak a little on there in Italian delis because it adds a little creaminess that gives the sandwich an extra boost. The bread is probably the weak link at Jersey Mike's. I love Publix sub rolls.

If we are talking a great New York deli, none of this sub comparison crap matters to me much. You have to get a chicken cutlet sub in a great Italian deli or you are missing out.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
As a side note yesterday was National Cuban Sandwich Day. And, when done right, the Cuban is the GOAT of sandwiches/subs/grinders/hoagies.

As for Pub Subs, I'm an Ultimate kind of guy unless I absolutely want to go comatose, in which case, the chicken tender sub is the way to go.
Love a good Cuban
but GOAT, that is unproven
It is the Ruben

Reaction Score
Love a good Cuban
but GOAT, that is unproven
It is the Ruben
A battle of heavyweights right there. Also maybe the two hardest sandwiches to get right. There is a HUGE gap between the average offering and a really top notch version of both of those.

Reaction Score
Since relocating to Florida, the one thing I really miss is a great sub from Cavello’s, West Main Street, Waterbury. We have tried all of the chain subs and not one of them are anywhere close in comparison. One place I always go to when I’m back in Connecticut.

Reaction Score
I live on the shoreline in Connecticut. A giant sub from Jersey Mikes is around 20 dollars which is steep. But they have specials. This week it is buy one get one, so that is two giant subs for 20 dollars. They also have a reward club where after a certain amount of points you get free subs. I try to support the local sub shops, but their subs are also in the 10-12 dollar range and not as full as a Jersey Mike sub that has all the fixings

There's gotta be halfway decent delis on the shore that you wouldn't have to go to Jersey Mike's.

Reaction Score
Ugh, I hate that place. They opened one in Boston's Back Bay. I had it a couple times and it was gross. The place closed after about a year so I guess most people here agreed with me.
This might be a Northeast thing with Firehouse Subs. There are limited Firehouse locations back home. I believe there used to be one in Bristol as well but now seems closed. The Boston location was probably due to franchisee and not the brand itself. Also far away from the Jacksonville headquarters.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
I concur about Pub Subs. Love their Cubano sub. I agree with others that Jersey Mike's is very good. I am in FL so there are several close to me. I also will try Subway in a pinch but I am used to a foot long for $6. Their prices have gone up quite a bit. I was in CT last week and paid close to $10 for 6 inch sub and cookie. I did not have a car that night so I could not drive to better grinder shops. In FL, Firehouse Subs is another good choice. Close to me and not too expensive.

Firehouse is a hard pass for me.

Reaction Score
Never been to a Jersey Mike's but my buddy said they charged him $23 for their large Philly cheesesteak. That's insane to me.
Might be right because large is HUGE. Regular is what I buy and it’s like the size of a foot long and it was over 10 bucks can’t remember how much

Reaction Score
The further u get from the northeast, the harder it is to find what we’d define to be a good sandwich. Subway, like the rest of the chains, are made for others. It’s the same for Italian food - name a good chain.

This is a perfect match for a PE firm and Shd be fixable in near term. Regardless, I’m not stopping at subway, Arby’s or Jimmy Johns
Maggianos little Italy. ( Tampa/ Orlando).

Reaction Score
Since relocating to Florida, the one thing I really miss is a great sub from Cavello’s, West Main Street, Waterbury. We have tried all of the chain subs and not one of them are anywhere close in comparison. One place I always go to when I’m back in Connecticut.
Wethersfield pizza ( chicken cutlet grinder/ simply amazing).

Reaction Score
Interesting they recently sold their corporate headquarters in Milford and I believe are leasing a building in Shelton. I thought that was a curious move . 9 billion for a family that started in the old Italian North End of Bridgeport.
However it’s yet another Connecticut Company biting the Dust
I wonder how many people will get laid off.

Reaction Score
This might be a Northeast thing with Firehouse Subs. There are limited Firehouse locations back home. I believe there used to be one in Bristol as well but now seems closed. The Boston location was probably due to franchisee and not the brand itself. Also far away from the Jacksonville headquarters.
for Bristol try Grinders Keepers

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom