Subway to sell to Arby's | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Subway to sell to Arby's

August_West

Universal remote, put it down on docking station.
Reaction Score
A battle of heavyweights right there. Also maybe the two hardest sandwiches to get right. There is a HUGE gap between the average offering and a really top notch version of both of those.

Thats because on the Reuben front people have a real misunderstanding of what Russian dressing actually is, at least in a New York Deli POV (and I worked at the Carnegie and mixed it , and 2 other NYC Delis) and that pertains to Reubens. I mean Ive seen an online BBQ god say it is ketchup and mayo. It aint. Its both of those with one other ingredient: Pickle Relish.

And I agree on Cuban too. So good and so many BAD examples. I like them better at their best than Reubens at their best. (Because for my money if you are at a place that is going to make the best example of a Reuben then just give me the corned beef on rye with spicy brown mustard and Im good).

But they are two great sandwiches. Because they have pickles in some form!

Reaction Score
Thats because on the Reuben front people have a real misunderstanding of what Russian dressing actually is, at least in a New York Deli POV (and I worked at the Carnegie and mixed it , and 2 other NYC Delis) and that pertains to Reubens. I mean Ive seen an online BBQ god say it is ketchup and mayo. It aint. Its both of those with one other ingredient: Pickle Relish.

And I agree on Cuban too. So good and so many BAD examples. I like them better at their best than Reubens at their best. (Because for my money if you are at a place that is going to make the best example of a Reuben then just give me the corned beef on rye with spicy brown mustard and Im good).

But they are two great sandwiches. Because they have pickles in some form!
Plus if the place isn't making their own corned beef, it's probably not worth it. I've had enough dry, tasteless corned beef in my life to have learned a lesson.

And yes on the Cuban, a half-assed version is maybe the saddest sandwich of all. So much wasted potential.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Yup. Ridiculous. I tried buying a lb. of good Pastrami (plate, not the garbage round cut) from a Deli last week and it was 21 dollars a lb. I left.

So I took matters into my own hands. Enough is enough. I bought a 10lb Brisket at Costco for 2.99 a lb.
Then I threw it into a plastic tub with some Prague Powder#1 and Kosher Salt and a couple gallons of water for 4 days to turn it into Corned Beef:
View attachment 90940

And then on Day 5 I rubbed it and smoked it and turned into Pastrami.

View attachment 90941

Im entertaining offers from Roark Capital offering to buy my new company. Because I will not buy deli meat. Ever.
Just buy the corned beef on sale around St. Patrick's Day. Much cheaper than a proper brisket. I have four of them I plan to smoke (if it ever stops raining). Was advised to soak them to cut the solution a bit. What rub do you use?

Reaction Score
I got hit up for $20 for the giant sub with a bag of chips and a fountain drink a few weeks ago. The giant sub is 16" and is definitely a two meal sandwich.

Northeast and midwest have so many good local delis and butcher shops I'd never eat at a chain
sandwich shop up there. Where I'm at in the south the Publix sandwiches, affectionately dubbed Pub Subs, are as good as it gets. A whole sub is ony setting you back $10 or $11 but it's still nowhere near as good as what you'd get in the northeast or midwest.

Publix subs are the bomb. The chicken tender sub is one of my favorites ever and you’re stuffed for $10.

Reaction Score
There is. There are alot of italian shops in town and they all specialize in chicken parmigiana and steak pizziaola grinders. Tough to keep the weight off. Actually I only go to Jersey Mikes if I have plans to go to Hammonasset or to a concert on the green

MSGRET

MSG, US Army Retired
Reaction Score
I can't eat Subway anymore, they just aren't as good as they used to be. I love Capriotti's, went to my first one here in Vegas soon after my father had passed away, the sandwich was a "Bobbie" felt like it was Thanksgiving after eating it. They currently have around 45 of them in the Vegas Valley.

ShakyTheMohel

Is it 11:11 yet?
Reaction Score
To be clear....Roark Capital is buying Subway. Not Arby's. Roark keeps their concepts fairly separated...so don't expect any Arby's influence on Subway... unfortunately.

I am a Jersey Mike's fan...but I will say Publix has amazing subs.

temery

What?
Reaction Score
Yup. Ridiculous. I tried buying a lb. of good Pastrami (plate, not the garbage round cut) from a Deli last week and it was 21 dollars a lb. I left.

So I took matters into my own hands. Enough is enough. I bought a 10lb Brisket at Costco for 2.99 a lb.
Then I threw it into a plastic tub with some Prague Powder#1 and Kosher Salt and a couple gallons of water for 4 days to turn it into Corned Beef:
View attachment 90940

And then on Day 5 I rubbed it and smoked it and turned into Pastrami.

View attachment 90941

Im entertaining offers from Roark Capital offering to buy my new company. Because I will not buy deli meat. Ever.

I thought pastrami was a different cut of meat with more fat.

Reaction Score
The further u get from the northeast, the harder it is to find what we’d define to be a good sandwich. Subway, like the rest of the chains, are made for others. It’s the same for Italian food - name a good chain.
When I lived in Iowa I would have killed for a Papa Ginos

Poe

Reaction Score
These dumps, particularly subway, sell crappy sandwiches for as much or more than a deli. When they were $5 it made sense to go there, now not so much.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
At a deli, yes. But you can smoke and season a corned beef brisket like Pastrami and it is essentially Pastrami. Whether you choose the point or flat is just personal preference on how lean you like it. I'm pretty sure @August_West has a flat there.

I still haven't smoked one. Ex Patriots LB Matt Chatham smokes stuff and has his own line of rubs now. He suggested buying up the corned beef briskets at St. Patrick's Day when they go on crazy sales, because they are much cheaper than normal brisket. Then smoking them.

temery

What?
Reaction Score
I read that Subway was being sold to Dunkin. Dunkin has done a great job destroying their brand, now they can destroy Subway too

I read Arby's is going to sell subway franchises at a discount: Buy two get one free.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
At a deli, yes. But you can smoke and season a corned beef brisket like Pastrami and it is essentially Pastrami. Whether you choose the point or flat is just personal preference on how lean you like it. I'm pretty sure @August_West has a flat there.

I still haven't smoked one. Ex Patriots LB Matt Chatham smokes stuff and has his own line of rubs now. He suggested buying up the corned beef briskets at St. Patrick's Day when they go on crazy sales, because they are much cheaper than normal brisket. Then smoking them.

Agree. I've seen plenty of videos of both using brisket.

I was giving a basic primer on the slight variances.

Personally, I'd take pastrami all day over corned beef. Good bread, a good whole grain mustard, and the pastrami.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
To be clear....Roark Capital is buying Subway. Not Arby's. Roark keeps their concepts fairly separated...so don't expect any Arby's influence on Subway... unfortunately.

I am a Jersey Mike's fan...but I will say Publix has amazing subs.

Yes. Thank God they will not do anything to lower Subway’s almost impossibly high standards.

Subway Mustard GIF

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
I don't know how much more profit can be squeezed out of a typical Subway store. While a few folks who own multiple stores do relatively OK, franchisees with only one or two stores make a pittance. Demands on franchisees are regarded as the most ridiculously oppressive of any food franchise.

As to sandwiches, Pittsburgh is a good to great sandwich town with a notable exception - no Jewish delis. And very few true delis of any kind. Most supermarkets don't even make sandwiches at the deli counter. That said, a few decent Reubens can be had at sit down restaurants/bars. But pastrami is pretty much non-existent here, which is a bit surprising as if there's one city that would readily adopt the LA burger topped with pastrami, it's here.

Reaction Score
Best in state.
Never been there (Wethersfield pizza) but I will have go there when in town. I used to go to Franklin Giant Grinder for sausage and/or cutlet grinders. The place does not seem as clean as it used to be.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom