Student Game Attendance – Root Cause Problem Solving | Page 7 | The Boneyard

Student Game Attendance – Root Cause Problem Solving

Reaction Score
Of course, they don't give a damn about a product that's located at a half hour off-campus. Might they be more likely to actually give a damn if it were actually an integrated part of campus life rather than an off-campus activity choice that requires an hour of commuting? Probably.
Why would they give a damn about a product that has been poor throughout their collective memories? A product the general public has turned away from and themselves wouldn't drive 30 minutes to watch. It went from 40k to 12-15k struggling to beat the Wagners of the football world and asking why? Ask why they had to expand the student seating by multiple stadium sections in the past. The perception is that UConn can't get into a major conference is because the football team is so bad. Hey everyone let's hop a ride and watch that!

Last edited:

HuskiesFan1014

Mora excited than before.
Reaction Score
Why would they give a damn about a product that has been poor throughout their collective memories? A product the general public has turned away from and themselves wouldn't drive 30 minutes to watch. It went from 40k to 12-15k struggling to beat the Wagners of the football world and asking why? Ask why they had to expand the student seating by multiple stadium sections in the past. The perception is that UConn can't get into a major conference is because the football team is so bad. Hey everyone let's hop a ride and watch that!
Bye weeks always bring out the Captain Obvious in us all, apparently. (And the "campus stadium" guys.)

UConnDan97

predicting undefeated seasons since 1983
Reaction Score

Because if you're currently a junior or senior, this football team has already made it once to a bowl game and is again on track to go to a second bowl.

Because the weather has been ABSOLUTELY BEAUTIFUL for every home game we've had.

Because most of the current students don't even REMEMBER Pasqualoni or GDL.

Because most of the people in this board bitching about them used to travel to see a middle-of-the-road 1-AA team play at places like the Yale Bowl, etc.

Those are just off the top of my head. I don't expect 30,000 students to go to the games, but having 2,000 shouldn't be that hard...

KryHavok

Oh yes, UConn IS a BB blueblood!
Reaction Score
There's a novel approach. Actually, talking to a human in the texting/social media age.
What is this "talking" you mention? I tell my kids to respond with regular English, and what comes back is some unholy mess of letters to someone named "bruh".

Reaction Score
Somewhat serious question,,,,

Has anyone ever asked the students what it would take to get to them to the game and to stay at the game?
Solutions:
  • Assemble a tailgate or “football gameday entertainment” council to specifically address this issue.
  • Sponsored food in tailgate area for students. Leverage local companies and business (Big Y, Moe’s, Bears BBQ). Minimal cost to get in ($5.00 or less), use Husky Bucks, free food if alumni or other donors can cover some/all costs. Make it good enough to be worth while.
  • Leverage matchups with food – Wings vs Buffalo, Cheesesteaks vs Temple, etc.
  • Offer eating contests for fun/prizes.
  • Come up with our own version of ESPN College Gameday.
  • Tailgate game area – cornhole, washers, etc. Offer tournaments to those interested.
  • DJ or live music acts.
  • Leverage local bars like Teds or Huskies to maybe have “Teds South” trailers or RV’s. Use their brand to generate buzz.
  • Important: Get a student council with representation from all classes, Greek life, backgrounds, ethnicities to what THEY want or would think is worth it.
And to Duncan's comment? Again, I'd say you need to make the EVENT something worth attending. If the history and record of the team aren't your draw, then give them FOMO of what they're missing out on. As someone else mentioned, the weather has been A+ to every game....is it that difficult to plan a big fun outdoor party for them?

Reaction Score
Solutions:
  • Assemble a tailgate or “football gameday entertainment” council to specifically address this issue.
  • Sponsored food in tailgate area for students. Leverage local companies and business (Big Y, Moe’s, Bears BBQ). Minimal cost to get in ($5.00 or less), use Husky Bucks, free food if alumni or other donors can cover some/all costs. Make it good enough to be worth while.
  • Leverage matchups with food – Wings vs Buffalo, Cheesesteaks vs Temple, etc.
  • Offer eating contests for fun/prizes.
  • Come up with our own version of ESPN College Gameday.
  • Tailgate game area – cornhole, washers, etc. Offer tournaments to those interested.
  • DJ or live music acts.
  • Leverage local bars like Teds or Huskies to maybe have “Teds South” trailers or RV’s. Use their brand to generate buzz.
  • Important: Get a student council with representation from all classes, Greek life, backgrounds, ethnicities to what THEY want or would think is worth it.
And to Duncan's comment? Again, I'd say you need to make the EVENT something worth attending. If the history and record of the team aren't your draw, then give them FOMO of what they're missing out on. As someone else mentioned, the weather has been A+ to every game....is it that difficult to plan a big fun outdoor party for them?
Yep Deep, if the football product is not compelling you have to sweeten or chum the pot. Probably would have to do it if on campus too after such a stretch of historically bad football.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I understand this topic has been talked about a lot on this board but....does anyone know if the University has ever put together a REAL ACTUAL plan for an on campus stadium? That would obviously be the best option to get students to go.

I'm fine with the Rent - its a solid stadium. But just curious if there has ever been a real plan ever talked about with UConn higher ups.

Reaction Score
I'm fine with the Rent - it’s a solid stadium. But just curious if there has ever been a real plan ever talked about with UConn higher ups.
Go up to Post#31^^ for recent comments by Dave Benedict in response to a question regarding an on-campus stadium.

Reaction Score
If they don't want to go, stay on campus. They have M+W soccer, volleyball + field hockey for students like that. Today's generation does not like anything physical (football) + very rarely ever goes outside. This not ours or are parents student body anymore.

UConnDan97

Reaction Score
If they don't want to go, stay on campus. They have M+W soccer, volleyball + field hockey for students like that. Today's generation does not like anything physical (football) + very rarely ever goes outside. This not ours or are parents student body anymore

Except they were ALREADY AT THE GAME!!!

This place makes me feel like I'm on crazy pills sometimes. We're not talking about people avoiding things that are physical. We are talking about people avoiding the 2nd half of a game...

Reaction Score
Except they were ALREADY AT THE GAME!!!

This place makes me feel like I'm on crazy pills sometimes. We're not talking about people avoiding things that are physical. We are talking about people avoiding the 2nd half of a game...
There are also folks talking about season(s) long empty gray benches - this is not just a one game wart.

zls44

Your #icebus Tour Director
Reaction Score
If they don't want to go, stay on campus. They have M+W soccer, volleyball + field hockey for students like that. Today's generation does not like anything physical (football) + very rarely ever goes outside. This not ours or are parents student body anymore.

Cut it out with the "today's generation does not like anything physical" garbage, they work out more than we ever did and the NFL and MMA have never been more popular.

UConnDan97

Reaction Score
There are also folks talking about season(s) long empty gray benches - this is not just a one game wart.
Understood, but we saw solid student attendance against Merrimack, and we saw for 1.5 quarters a solid student attendance against Temple.

So when people start offering up ideas about generational differences in physical sports, it's simply laughable and lazy...

Reaction Score
Understood, but we saw solid student attendance against Merrimack, and we saw for 1.5 quarters a solid student attendance against Temple.
Merrimack was the newness and Temple was when the beer/drink money ran out.;)

UConnDan97

Reaction Score
Merrimack was the newness and Temple was when the beer/drink money ran out.

See, I accept this as an answer way more than I do the previous suggestion.

So the solution is cheaper beer, and I support that! (Especially at $14 a beer)....

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Wilson

Top Bottom