Streak may reach 200? | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Streak may reach 200?

iamcbs

Buckeye Guest
Reaction Score
Why do you believe this?
I watched a few of her games which my family down in TX provided on video. She's a legitimate 6-foot with all of the guard skills. She needs shoots well and has range out to the 3-pt line. She reminds me of a quicker Jackie Young at ND with a better jump shot.

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
You said: "who will relegate Molly Bent to the Tierney Lawlor role for the next 3 years if she stays." You didn't suggest it like I did 2 months ago. You said it will happen.
I got a lot of push back for just suggesting that if Bent and Irwin didn't improve this year, and make that proverbial "leap" before the incoming freshmen arrive this summer, they may find themselves sitting on the other end of the bench (depth wise), and relegated to mop-up duty for the remainder of their stay in Storrs.

I guess it not what's said, but who says it. I doubt you'll get any push back or arguments from this post. I agree with you by the way. I made this same exact observation during the Christmas break.
bobo+-+shot+caller.bmp

Reaction Score
How do you know this? Have you scouted her extensively?

From everything I've seen, some game tapes, highlights, what I've read etc I really like her game and think she will adjust quicker than not. I feel like she has "it" and will be a pleasant surprise. I think she's a bit under the radar with MW and MC getting good recognition.

She will leap MB. We shall see.

Replicant

Nexus 6 Leader
Reaction Score
Doris Burke was on ESPiN Sportscenter from Dallas this AM talking Connecticut WCBB and the hosts incorrectly credited her with being the first to say that the Connecticut streak may reach 200. Kara Lawson was actually the first analyst to say that when she was doing the Connecticut/S. Carolina game.
It would appear that TonyC has a strong case for both copyright infringement and theft of unbridled exuberance!

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
I watched a few of her games which my family down in TX provided on video. She's a legitimate 6-foot with all of the guard skills. She needs shoots well and has range out to the 3-pt line. She reminds me of a quicker Jackie Young at ND with a better jump shot.
I hope you are right. She has about 1/2 dozen video on line and I agree with the legit guard skills part. She also fits the UCONN mold of hard working team play first etc. I have to disagree on the superstar part however. UCONN superstars usually emerge by sophomore year to be POY candidates and I'm not projecting that for Lexi, because, when Lexi is a Sophomores KLS & Napheesa, who are already on that superstar trajectory, will be seniors. Plus Lexi's teammate will be Megan Walker who plays the same position.

Reaction Score
From everything I've seen, some game tapes, highlights, what I've read etc I really like her game and think she will adjust quicker than not. I feel like she has "it" and will be a pleasant surprise. I think she's a bit under the radar with MW and MC getting good recognition.

She will leap MB. We shall see.
" She's going to be fantastic" is a bit different than simply leaping Molly Bent. And you demoted her from being "the biggest surprise" to just a pleasant surprise. We'll see.

Reaction Score
MuchDogYears, Stanford is dangerous. They have a better coach, a more disciplined on offense and defense, and they can shoot the three. Karlie is hitting almost 60% of her 3s in the last 3 games. We also know they don't give up. They've fallen behind in more than one game this tournament and came back to win.

iamcbs

Buckeye Guest
Reaction Score
I hope you are right. She has about 1/2 dozen video on line and I agree with the legit guard skills part. She also fits the UCONN mold of hard working team play first etc. I have to disagree on the superstar part however. UCONN superstars usually emerge by sophomore year to be POY candidates and I'm not projecting that for Lexi, because, when Lexi is a Sophomores KLS & Napheesa, who are already on that superstar trajectory, will be seniors. Plus Lexi's teammate will be Megan Walker who plays the same position.
Lexi can play some point, which I believe Geno and CD may look at of Dangerfield doesn't make the leap. Having a 6-foot PG makes a big difference, it certainly did for Oregon State with Sydney Weise. Megan Walker is an ox, don't get me wrong I just don't want BY'ers to sleep on Lexi Gordon.

Reaction Score
It's not going to go to 200.

Someone will get injured. The team will have an off-night. Florida State or Tulane or whoever will hit a bomb at the buzzer.

Something will happen.

You don't want to tempt fate like this - the basketball gods are eventually gonna throw a rock through our front window. Just hope for 113 in a row and then go from there.
That first line may come back to bite you. I wouldn't automatically assume that it WILL GO to 200 but with the added depth of next years team and the influx of new talent, losing Nurse and Gabby at the end of next year won't be nearly as tough as some people think it will be. I don't visualize losing next year at all and unless Geno schedules some senior dominated team in the first days of the following season, it could easily go to that 200 mark. Replacing KLS and Pheesa the following year may be where the streak gets severely tested.

Reaction Score
MuchDogYears, Stanford is dangerous. They have a better coach, a more disciplined on offense and defense, and they can shoot the three. Karlie is hitting almost 60% of her 3s in the last 3 games. We also know they don't give up. They've fallen behind in more than one game this tournament and came back to win.
I do consider them a serious threat but if you remember, they only won that game in Palo Alto because UConn had lost two great starters the previous year, it was only the 2nd game with the new kids in the lineup, the officials called a horrific game and got two key players, Nurse and Tuck in foul trouble and our defense played horrifically, due to fact that it hadn't yet developed cohesively with the two new starters. Had they played that game in the 22nd game instead of the 2nd, UConn wins by 20-25 points easily.

Reaction Score
This is such a depressing thread. It is debating a hypothetical that is 2.5 years away from possible realization and with, if actually realized, unknowable consequences for the game. And, if it doesn't happen, that loss becomes the object of "failure" and "mourning" rather than a moment to celebrate all that has already been accomplished.

Geno and his team take it one game at a time. Don't we have better things to do with our lives than to take it 80+ games at a time? Can't we talk about the quality of next year's team rather than its quantity of wins? I guess not, because I'm writing about it, too. :)

Reaction Score
Lexi can play some point, which I believe Geno and CD may look at of Dangerfield doesn't make the leap. Having a 6-foot PG makes a big difference, it certainly did for Oregon State with Sydney Weise. Megan Walker is an ox, don't get me wrong I just don't want BY'ers to sleep on Lexi Gordon.

That's what I've been saying

Reaction Score
" She's going to be fantastic" is a bit different than simply leaping Molly Bent. And you demoted her from being "the biggest surprise" to just a pleasant surprise. We'll see.

I think she's going to surprise and delight uconn fans. Much talk of the other girls and I just wanted to point out not to sleep on Lexi. I think she will be fantastic and get the system quickly. We will see.

Reaction Score
"And one more thing your honor,I haven't slept on any of these players"

Reaction Score
Doris Burke was on ESPiN Sportscenter from Dallas this AM talking Connecticut WCBB and the hosts incorrectly credited her with being the first to say that the Connecticut streak may reach 200. Kara Lawson was actually the first analyst to say that when she was doing the Connecticut/S. Carolina game. Doris is bullish on Connecticut, saying that is no gets them this weekend, that the next two years are going to be nearly impossible for teams. She cited that this is the first year in decades in which Connecticut didn't return a single AA, but now they have 3 returning next season. She says that Azura Stevens will be the NPOY next season and she gushed over HS NPOY Megan Walker and what her impact will be. She didn't mention Lexi Gordon, who I personally believe will be Connecticut's next superstar, or Mikayla Coombs and Andra Espinoza-Hunter, who will relegate Molly Bent to the Tierney Lawlor role for the next 3 years if she stays. Doris seems convinced that Connecticut will be head and shoulders above everyone else and it's not even close. I happen to agree with her. Geno will have the depth next year that he lacks today and his press will be devastating. Connecticut's weaknesses this season beside lack of depth are lack of size and wing defenders, although KLS and Napheesa Collier have both improved, with Batuoly Camara and Azura Stevens, the size issue will be remedied and with Walker, Gordon and AEH the wing defense will be much, much better.

All-in-all, I agree with Doris. If no one gets Connecticut this weekend it will be a nightmare the next two years. Kelsey Mitchell said last night that she and her teammates have some "unfinished business" I love KMitch but if she's talking about a FF in Columbus, it ain't happening, not with that team or that coach. She'd do much better to set her sights on breaking Kelsey Plum's NCAA scoring record which is well within her reach.

This thread is Very bad MOJO! This the reason we are down right now.
WE ARE DOOMED!!!!!!

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dixiedog

Top Bottom