Streak may reach 200? | The Boneyard

Streak may reach 200?

iamcbs

Buckeye Guest
Reaction Score
Doris Burke was on ESPiN Sportscenter from Dallas this AM talking Connecticut WCBB and the hosts incorrectly credited her with being the first to say that the Connecticut streak may reach 200. Kara Lawson was actually the first analyst to say that when she was doing the Connecticut/S. Carolina game. Doris is bullish on Connecticut, saying that is no gets them this weekend, that the next two years are going to be nearly impossible for teams. She cited that this is the first year in decades in which Connecticut didn't return a single AA, but now they have 3 returning next season. She says that Azura Stevens will be the NPOY next season and she gushed over HS NPOY Megan Walker and what her impact will be. She didn't mention Lexi Gordon, who I personally believe will be Connecticut's next superstar, or Mikayla Coombs and Andra Espinoza-Hunter, who will relegate Molly Bent to the Tierney Lawlor role for the next 3 years if she stays. Doris seems convinced that Connecticut will be head and shoulders above everyone else and it's not even close. I happen to agree with her. Geno will have the depth next year that he lacks today and his press will be devastating. Connecticut's weaknesses this season beside lack of depth are lack of size and wing defenders, although KLS and Napheesa Collier have both improved, with Batuoly Camara and Azura Stevens, the size issue will be remedied and with Walker, Gordon and AEH the wing defense will be much, much better.

All-in-all, I agree with Doris. If no one gets Connecticut this weekend it will be a nightmare the next two years. Kelsey Mitchell said last night that she and her teammates have some "unfinished business" I love KMitch but if she's talking about a FF in Columbus, it ain't happening, not with that team or that coach. She'd do much better to set her sights on breaking Kelsey Plum's NCAA scoring record which is well within her reach.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
I'll let other people look into the distance and fantasize, all I am interested in right now is extending the streak to 112. And should that happen Friday night, I'll be interested in whether they can extend it to 113. One day at a time, one play at a time, baby! :)

Reaction Score
Agreed. All I can think about is how excited I am for tomorrow. Next year looks ridiculous talent wise, but I want to relish this year for all its worth. Its been so fun to watch this team be exactly what so many of us knew they could be. So proud of these women.

Reaction Score
If all goes according to plan... that would be 113 wins this year. Next year potentially another 37-40, which would mean 150-153.... then the following year again 37-40, so 187-193.....
This could be interesting... let us not forget the UCONN Motto..."One game at a time"

Reaction Score
I'll let other people look into the distance and fantasize, all I am interested in right now is extending the streak to 112. And should that happen Friday night, I'll be interested in whether they can extend it to 113. One day at a time, one play at a time, baby! :)
I'd be shocked beyond belief if UConn isn't playing Sunday night and that's when they might have a problem, particularly if it's Stanford. Stanford is easily the best coached team left in the Final Four, other than the Huskies. Tara has shocked the Huskies before but I think the previous time was at home at Stanford, it was a brand new Huskie lineup in the second game of the season and their defense hadn't gelled yet from the lose of Bria and Stef. Even then, there was some really un-Huskie like mistakes made and foul issues that lost it for them in overtime. I don't think there's any way it happens on Sunday.

Reaction Score
Agreed. All I can think about is how excited I am for tomorrow. Next year looks ridiculous talent wise, but I want to relish this year for all its worth. Its been so fun to watch this team be exactly what so many of us knew they could be. So proud of these women.
Really, Dawson? If there were a significant number of BYers who knew exactly how good this team could be, you guys did an amazing job of keeping mum! :confused:

Reaction Score
I agree, let's just focus on this team and what they've become. They were relatively inexperienced as the season commenced with a lot of unanswered questions and with a lack of depth. What they've become is a stunningly cohesive unit with one of the most balanced lineups in UConn basketball history. A perceived weakness was Saniya and she's done so much to dispel any concerns anyone ever had for her. We are so, so blessed.

Reaction Score
I talked this team up early and thought it'd likely either be an undefeated or maybe one loss team but I still find myself shocked and surprised about how good they've become. I didn't count on Saniya contributing to the extent that she has and I didn't figure that Gabby would become AS GOOD as she has. Her ability to shoot those ten to fifteen foot shots consistently has been a very pleasant surprise and if anything, her defensive skills have gotten better. I couldn't be prouder of what they've become.

Reaction Score
IMO, it's South Carolina and not Stanford who is dangerous.

SC has looked like, surprisingly, a better team without Coates. They'll be a tougher matchup the 2nd time around than the first with their new lineup starting 4 wing-type players who can all shoot and handle. Wilson inside has become dominant without Coates around.

However,they now have a new issue that makes them vulnerable. With Coates gone, if Wilson gets into any sort of foul trouble they're toast.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
Doris Burke was on ESPiN Sportscenter from Dallas this AM talking Connecticut WCBB and the hosts incorrectly credited her with being the first to say that the Connecticut streak may reach 200. Kara Lawson was actually the first analyst to say that when she was doing the Connecticut/S. Carolina game. Doris is bullish on Connecticut, saying that is no gets them this weekend, that the next two years are going to be nearly impossible for teams. She cited that this is the first year in decades in which Connecticut didn't return a single AA, but now they have 3 returning next season. She says that Azura Stevens will be the NPOY next season and she gushed over HS NPOY Megan Walker and what her impact will be. She didn't mention Lexi Gordon, who I personally believe will be Connecticut's next superstar, or Mikayla Coombs and Andra Espinoza-Hunter, who will relegate Molly Bent to the Tierney Lawlor role for the next 3 years if she stays. Doris seems convinced that Connecticut will be head and shoulders above everyone else and it's not even close. I happen to agree with her. Geno will have the depth next year that he lacks today and his press will be devastating. Connecticut's weaknesses this season beside lack of depth are lack of size and wing defenders, although KLS and Napheesa Collier have both improved, with Batuoly Camara and Azura Stevens, the size issue will be remedied and with Walker, Gordon and AEH the wing defense will be much, much better.

All-in-all, I agree with Doris. If no one gets Connecticut this weekend it will be a nightmare the next two years. Kelsey Mitchell said last night that she and her teammates have some "unfinished business" I love KMitch but if she's talking about a FF in Columbus, it ain't happening, not with that team or that coach. She'd do much better to set her sights on breaking Kelsey Plum's NCAA scoring record which is well within her reach.

You said: "who will relegate Molly Bent to the Tierney Lawlor role for the next 3 years if she stays." You didn't suggest it like I did 2 months ago. You said it will happen.
I got a lot of push back for just suggesting that if Bent and Irwin didn't improve this year, and make that proverbial "leap" before the incoming freshmen arrive this summer, they may find themselves sitting on the other end of the bench (depth wise), and relegated to mop-up duty for the remainder of their stay in Storrs.

I guess it not what's said, but who says it. I doubt you'll get any push back or arguments from this post. I agree with you by the way. I made this same exact observation during the Christmas break.

Dove

Part of the 2%, but 100% wood.
Reaction Score
The word '200' was mentioned Tuesday night

Reaction Score
Insane question. Stuff happens. Always does.

be95b483ad2d6edf193348d6a230a6a8.jpeg

Those whom the gods wish to destroy they first make mad

huskeynut

Leader of the Band
Reaction Score
Kara Lawson said very clearly during the Oregon game that with Stevens, Camara and Walker that Uconn could win 200 in a row.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
She didn't mention Lexi Gordon, who I personally believe will be Connecticut's next superstar, or Mikayla Coombs and Andra Espinoza-Hunter,
Why do you believe this?

BigBird

Et In Hoc Signo Vinces
Reaction Score
The 200 bit is an interesting conversation starter, but I think that's all it is.

From a probability perspective, if you repeat something often enough, the result that "can't happen" or "won't happen" eventually will. Remember Tulane? We were a foot or so away from not starting this conversation at all.

Reaction Score

Lexi Gordon will be the biggest surprise.

She's going to be fantastic

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
That's how the team handles it. It's also WHY the streak grows.

Reaction Score

This kind of unbridled enthusiasm has to be verified by Tonyc.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
Kara Lawson said very clearly during the Oregon game that with Stevens, Camara and Walker that Uconn could win 200 in a row.

Kara first brought that number up after the SC win. I liked Stewie's answer when asked how far can the streak go. " How high can you count"

Reaction Score
The streak may end a lot sooner than 200 if Danger doesn't make a respectable jump. We need To be able to trust her to run this team. The Loss of Chong may hurt more than u think. As good as the in coming freshman guards are/may be they will not be ready day one.

I believe to maximize our success/ streak the key is the development CD.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
It's not going to go to 200.

Someone will get injured. The team will have an off-night. Florida State or Tulane or whoever will hit a bomb at the buzzer.

Something will happen.

You don't want to tempt fate like this - the basketball gods are eventually gonna throw a rock through our front window. Just hope for 113 in a row and then go from there.

Reaction Score
I'd be shocked beyond belief if UConn isn't playing Sunday night and that's when they might have a problem, particularly if it's Stanford. Stanford is easily the best coached team left in the Final Four, other than the Huskies. Tara has shocked the Huskies before but I think the previous time was at home at Stanford, it was a brand new Huskie lineup in the second game of the season and their defense hadn't gelled yet from the lose of Bria and Stef. Even then, there was some really un-Huskie like mistakes made and foul issues that lost it for them in overtime. I don't think there's any way it happens on Sunday.
I think Saniya might have a little something to prove in that game too.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dixiedog

Top Bottom