Stone/Newman Crystal Ball | Page 8 | The Boneyard

Stone/Newman Crystal Ball

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Anyone who thinks a big man is more important that a goos PG
Don't underestimate Phil. Look for him to begin to emerge in the Jake Voskuhl - Travis Knight role. Box out, get defensive rebounds, start the break, set screens and score as opportunity permits.

Phil has a very Loooooooong way to go before he can even be in the discussion with Jake and Travis. I'd be happy if he can develop any type of post game and continue to play decent D.

Reaction Score
Nolan's athleticism is probably comparable to Knight's, but he's not nearly as skilled. Voskuhl would break Nolan in half; dude was a bruiser.

Reaction Score
Where have you seen he is too slow? On his highlights he looks quite quick for a big man. Also, this article refers to Stone as 4, for those assuming him and Brimah couldn't play together http://ontheradarhoops.com/elite-32-recap-i-july-14-2014/

too slow to defend college 4s, he's fine as a 5. PnR defense and defending perimter oriented 4s who can put it on the floor and shoot out to the 3 point line(i.e. Daniels) would not be a pretty sight with a Brimah/Stone combo for long stretches.

Reaction Score
too slow to defend college 4s, he's fine as a 5. PnR defense and defending perimter oriented 4s who can put it on the floor and shoot out to the 3 point line(i.e. Daniels) would not be a pretty sight with a Brimah/Stone combo for long stretches.
I agree but I think for stretches he would be capable.

Reaction Score
Let me weigh in on the potential Stone/Brimah dynamic. I understand rico's perspective, and the foundation of his argument - that a junior Brimah may well be better than a freshman Stone - is one I used a couple weeks ago in a similar discussion (unsurprisingly, most people disagreed). In that regard, I agree with his sentiment that it isn't that big of a deal if Stone opts to go elsewhere.

That being said, I disagree with the reasoning he used to draw that conclusion. It doesn't make sense to use Oriakhi/Drummond as a cautionary tale moving forward for a variety of reasons. For starters, the long-term payoff of somebody like Drummond representing your program dwarfs any short-term logistical issues of the two co-existing in the same front court. Andre Drummond is going to help us on the recruiting trail in the year 2024, so personally, I'm willing to sacrifice some frustration early in their career for all of the perks that go along with a potential NBA all-star hyping your school every chance he gets. I'm not saying Stone is the same sort of talent that Drummond is, but he is definitely is capable of playing in the NBA for a long time. If we're hoping to recapture the early to mid-2000's reputation of being a big man factory, recruiting kids like Stone is how you accomplish that.

Secondly, we all know that the issues of the 2011-12 team ran far deeper than Oriakhi and Drummond being unable to gel to maximum capacity as a tandem. Shabazz wasn't there yet, Boatright was in and out of the lineup all season, Lamb's personality wasn't suited for the leadership role he was asked to assume, and the Roscoe/Giffey/Daniels trio on the wing just never worked out. Oh yeah, and our Hall of Fame coach battled health problems all season and a guy over 70 years old was asked to manage the personalities and egos of 20 year old kids. Do we really think that the season turns out drastically differently if Drummond doesn't commit? I'm skeptical.

As far as Stone is concerned, you take him and don't think twice if he wants to come here. As a general rule, I prefer to stack the deck with talent and work out the playing time later, and I'm guessing the coaching staff operates similarly. Amida Brimah has displayed flashes of brilliance, but it's just that, flashes. He's one of those kids who picks up two fouls on the bus ride over to the arena, and although I'm sure he'll continue to improve from a positioning, timing, and patience standpoint as he develops as a basketball player, there's a good chance foul trouble will be an issue for the duration of his career here.

Can Stone and Brimah play together? It's hard for me to say since I've never seen Stone play. But I also think Brimah moves better than most seven footers, both laterally and baseline to baseline. The guy isn't a stiff by any means, and he's definitely not there yet, but some people here might be underselling his versatility. In other words, he's not the same mold of player that Oriakhi or Drummond were - his shot blocking instincts are already much better than Drummond's ever were, and he has shown the ability to defend the perimeter and pick and rolls better than either could in their time here. In short, this kid has the ability to become one of the best defensive players in the country, and as a seven footer, the value of that is simply astronomical. I might get some flack for this, and I'm not saying he'll turn out to be anywhere near as good...but he reminds me a little bit of Anthony Davis. When you have a defensive difference maker of that caliber on your roster, you can afford to be structurally flawed/unsound in certain other areas.

Offensively, I'd be pretty surprised if Brimah isn't a completely different player two years from now. He's demonstrated a touch far beyond his years near the rim, he just hasn't developed the lower-body strength or body control yet to consistently win the territory battles inside. He'll get there in time, though, and I expect he'll be a viable post up threat and mid-range jump shooter and short order.

The bottom line is that if we're hesitating on Stone because of the potential that Brimah could be really good...that seems like a flawed premise. If Brimah is the player we think he could become, then many of the concerns are moot, because things have a way of falling into place when you have a great player (for the record, I expect Brimah to be better his junior year than either Oriakhi or Drummond ever were here). And if he's a similar version of the player he is today, which is to say a 20+ minute guy who blocks shots, provides energy, and has his limitations, then minute allocation won't be a problem. It's a win/win.

Reaction Score
It definitely looks like he's working on trimming down. Looks a little quicker and "bouncier" than in earlier mixtapes...as if that's really even possible to tell.

At first, I didn't get all the hype around him. He seemed a little slow and unathletic, but he looks much better in this tape. Newman is my favorite player in the class. He is incredibly skilled and will be awesome in our system. he seems like a combo of Ben Gordon and Kemba if that's really possible.

I'm probably a pioneer in this thought and am most likely alone in saying this, but I would absolutely love if we could land the both of them!

Rico444

In the mix for six
Reaction Score
Let me weigh in on the potential Stone/Brimah dynamic. I understand rico's perspective, and the foundation of his argument - that a junior Brimah may well be better than a freshman Stone - is one I used a couple weeks ago in a similar discussion (unsurprisingly, most people disagreed). In that regard, I agree with his sentiment that it isn't that big of a deal if Stone opts to go elsewhere.

That being said, I disagree with the reasoning he used to draw that conclusion. It doesn't make sense to use Oriakhi/Drummond as a cautionary tale moving forward for a variety of reasons. For starters, the long-term payoff of somebody like Drummond representing your program dwarfs any short-term logistical issues of the two co-existing in the same front court. Andre Drummond is going to help us on the recruiting trail in the year 2024, so personally, I'm willing to sacrifice some frustration early in their career for all of the perks that go along with a potential NBA all-star hyping your school every chance he gets. I'm not saying Stone is the same sort of talent that Drummond is, but he is definitely is capable of playing in the NBA for a long time. If we're hoping to recapture the early to mid-2000's reputation of being a big man factory, recruiting kids like Stone is how you accomplish that.

Secondly, we all know that the issues of the 2011-12 team ran far deeper than Oriakhi and Drummond being unable to gel to maximum capacity as a tandem. Shabazz wasn't there yet, Boatright was in and out of the lineup all season, Lamb's personality wasn't suited for the leadership role he was asked to assume, and the Roscoe/Giffey/Daniels trio on the wing just never worked out. Oh yeah, and our Hall of Fame coach battled health problems all season and a guy over 70 years old was asked to manage the personalities and egos of 20 year old kids. Do we really think that the season turns out drastically differently if Drummond doesn't commit? I'm skeptical.

As far as Stone is concerned, you take him and don't think twice if he wants to come here. As a general rule, I prefer to stack the deck with talent and work out the playing time later, and I'm guessing the coaching staff operates similarly. Amida Brimah has displayed flashes of brilliance, but it's just that, flashes. He's one of those kids who picks up two fouls on the bus ride over to the arena, and although I'm sure he'll continue to improve from a positioning, timing, and patience standpoint as he develops as a basketball player, there's a good chance foul trouble will be an issue for the duration of his career here.

Can Stone and Brimah play together? It's hard for me to say since I've never seen Stone play. But I also think Brimah moves better than most seven footers, both laterally and baseline to baseline. The guy isn't a stiff by any means, and he's definitely not there yet, but some people here might be underselling his versatility. In other words, he's not the same mold of player that Oriakhi or Drummond were - his shot blocking instincts are already much better than Drummond's ever were, and he has shown the ability to defend the perimeter and pick and rolls better than either could in their time here. In short, this kid has the ability to become one of the best defensive players in the country, and as a seven footer, the value of that is simply astronomical. I might get some flack for this, and I'm not saying he'll turn out to be anywhere near as good...but he reminds me a little bit of Anthony Davis. When you have a defensive difference maker of that caliber on your roster, you can afford to be structurally flawed/unsound in certain other areas.

Offensively, I'd be pretty surprised if Brimah isn't a completely different player two years from now. He's demonstrated a touch far beyond his years near the rim, he just hasn't developed the lower-body strength or body control yet to consistently win the territory battles inside. He'll get there in time, though, and I expect he'll be a viable post up threat and mid-range jump shooter and short order.

The bottom line is that if we're hesitating on Stone because of the potential that Brimah could be really good...that seems like a flawed premise. If Brimah is the player we think he could become, then many of the concerns are moot, because things have a way of falling into place when you have a great player (for the record, I expect Brimah to be better his junior year than either Oriakhi or Drummond ever were here). And if he's a similar version of the player he is today, which is to say a 20+ minute guy who blocks shots, provides energy, and has his limitations, then minute allocation won't be a problem. It's a win/win.

I'm not going to stomp my feet or yell and scream if Stone commits. I just see some potential chemistry issues if either guy doesn't get their 30+ minutes. And I don't see Brimah ever being able to step out and cover the 3 point line, which is something your 4 has to be able to do. If Stone can do it, great. I just get the sense we're a better team with Enoch and Brimah in the front court than Stone and Brimah.

Reaction Score
This is a big part of why I want the Stone/Newman package. Just because it would be really nice to land the top recruiting class in the country and tell all of the haters to hate on.

Agreed. A monster recruiting class on the heels of a championship would cement the fact that our program isn't going to fade into obscurity despite our woeful conference.

Reaction Score
Just out of curiosity, what are the chances that these 2 commit to anyone during 2014? I think I'm finding that my level recruiting interest extends about as far as tuning in for 30 minute press conferences on the day of an announcement.

Reaction Score
I think Enoch going to Uconn is all but official. Cant imagine him anywhere else and would be shocked if he commits elsewhere. Stone and Newman i think are leaning Uconn and leaning pretty pretty hard but are not solid. My gut? They come to storrs. Just a feeling.

Reaction Score
It appears that they are still hoping to attend the same school.

http://journaltimes.com/sports/gery...cle_95670698-53ff-5f8a-b0e5-81e6e77250dc.html

Stone is ranked fourth in the ESPN national rankings and, as one would imagine, is drawing intense interest from all of the elite programs in the country. What I’m hearing is that Connecticut, North Carolina and Wisconsin are among his finalists.
Stone has also become good friends with Malik Newman, generally regarded as the best prep guard in the country. Newman, who is from Jackson, Miss., and ranked third by ESPN, told me last week he and Stone may choose the same college.
“That’s what we’re working on,’’ Newman said. “I don’t know if it’ll happen but we’re trying to do that.’’
If that happens, Connecticut may be the front-runner for their services, with Kansas and Kentucky also in the mix.

Reaction Score
Agree on the driving ability
It has nothing to do with the centers' post moves.
The driving ability of several players on the '14-'15 team will be an absolute strength. RP may be one of the best ever, TSam showed very strong driving and finishing ability and DHam also have the length and skill to be very effective. Sam Jr. may also have this ability (haven't seen his game enough to tell) and Boat can be very effective in driving and pulling up for short jumpers. However, to utilize this strength, the 5 will need to slide out and open up some space. If PN and AB can hit the occasional 10-15 footer, this will force their defender to have to come out to cover them...further opening up the middle for the drive (Kentan Facey will also likely work as a "stretch four" further opening up the drive...reference the video where he drained multiple 3s in a row in practice and he show a very good 15 foot to 3 pt touch last year).
You are right about the driving ability on this team and I think our rebounding will be much improved. If I had a concern it would be consistent outside shooting. WE really need Omar to get back to form or one of the new guys to step up.

Reaction Score
More people continue to jump on the UConn as the leader bandwagon - don't do this to me!!:confused:

Reaction Score
Are people still questioning taking Stone b/c of Amida? Ridiculous. Amida is still incredibly raw and even with a year of improvement he still will be. Lets temper our expectations just a bit. After a great start, Amida was torched more often than not during the conference season, was incredibly inconsistent, and during the year most here wanted him benched. His 20 point game was preceded by a zero and followed with a 6 and a 3. He was a very inconsistent and at times bad rebounder due to a lack of lower body strength and he was a foul machine. His shot blocking more or less stopped come the NCAA tourney and we often went small b/c Amida was overmatched versus better big men. Obviously, Amida has incredible potential but the talks of him being a lottery pick are a bit premature and especially ridiculous when we're debating the recruitment of Stone; a guy who would end up being the highest rated big men to ever commit here. I understand that Thabeet was in a similar boat and many will say that Amida is ahead of Hasheem at the same stage. But expecting Amida to match Hasheem's improvement is a bit much considering HT became a 10-8-4 guy his soph year and then 13-11-4 his junior year. Long story short, if Stone wants to commit you take him and he immediately becomes a major player down low; Amida or not.

Reaction Score
Are people still questioning taking Stone b/c of Amida? Ridiculous. Amida is still incredibly raw and even with a year of improvement he still will be. Lets temper our expectations just a bit. After a great start, Amida was torched more often than not during the conference season, was incredibly inconsistent, and during the year most here wanted him benched. His 20 point game was preceded by a zero and followed with a 6 and a 3. He was a very inconsistent and at times bad rebounder due to a lack of lower body strength and he was a foul machine. His shot blocking more or less stopped come the NCAA tourney and we often went small b/c Amida was overmatched versus better big men. Obviously, Amida has incredible potential but the talks of him being a lottery pick are a bit premature and especially ridiculous when we're debating the recruitment of Stone; a guy who would end up being the highest rated big men to ever commit here. I understand that Thabeet was in a similar boat and many will say that Amida is ahead of Hasheem at the same stage. But expecting Amida to match Hasheem's improvement is a bit much considering HT became a 10-8-4 guy his soph year and then 13-11-4 his junior year. Long story short, if Stone wants to commit you take him and he immediately becomes a major player down low; Amida or not.

What in the world are you crying about? This thread has been inactive for over a month and was reupped because of a recent article discussing the possibility of Newman/Stone still playing together. Not sure how that prompted you to go on a rant bagging on one of our current players, but that seems to be your MO.

pj

Reaction Score
The whole controversy is idiotic. First, Stone can play both 4 and 5 and there will be plenty of minutes available for him. Second, if Amida becomes so good that he can take Stone's minutes, he'll be an NBA lottery pick a few months later, so we're only taking a few months at most during which this supposed competition for minutes is taking place. Third, those few months of competition would be great for Stone because there's no better NBA preparation than practicing against an NBA-level player.

Reaction Score
The whole controversy is idiotic. First, Stone can play both 4 and 5 and there will be plenty of minutes available for him. Second, if Amida becomes so good that he can take Stone's minutes, he'll be an NBA lottery pick a few months later, so we're only taking a few months at most during which this supposed competition for minutes is taking place. Third, those few months of competition would be great for Stone because there's no better NBA preparation than practicing against an NBA-level player.
If we get Stone he starts from day 1 and this isn't a knock on any of our front court players. He just has too much talent not to start at either the 4 or 5.

Reaction Score

Who knows where Stone will end up rankings wise, but Drummond was a unanimous top 3 player in his class.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom