Stone/Newman Crystal Ball | Page 6 | The Boneyard

Stone/Newman Crystal Ball

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
FWIW, Newman's dad, Horatio Webster, played at Mississippi State from 96-98.

'96? He must have been on that team which stunned Ray and company where the guards played their career games………and Doron was playing on one leg while Ricky watched with a bad ankle……….awful loss.

Rico444

In the mix for six
Reaction Score
Admittedly knowing little about Stone, I'm a bit concerned. Is he a center or power forward? Assuming Brimah isn't quite ready to leave after this year, they would likely both have to be on the court at the same time, and if Stone is a true center, that could be a problem. 2012 showed us that you can't just stick two centers on the court and expect to succeed.

Dogbreath2U

RIP, DB2U
Reaction Score
Admittedly knowing little about Stone, I'm a bit concerned. Is he a center or power forward? Assuming Brimah isn't quite ready to leave after this year, they would likely both have to be on the court at the same time, and if Stone is a true center, that could be a problem. 2012 showed us that you can't just stick two centers on the court and expect to succeed.

Stone is a true center by all reports. I would expect that he and Brimah would not play much at the same time...neither could cover one of the quicker stretch 4 types. I imagine Ollie would play them based on the matchups and how they are playing at the time. Nolan would move to the 4. Potential for real depth if we could get another 3.

Rico444

In the mix for six
Reaction Score
Stone is a true center by all reports. I would expect that he and Brimah would not play much at the same time...neither could cover one of the quicker stretch 4 types. I imagine Ollie would play them based on the matchups and how they are playing at the time. Nolan would move to the 4. Potential for real depth if we could get another 3.

Thanks for the info. If that's the case, then I'm probably in the minority here, but I don't want Stone. There's only 40 minutes to give out, and I don't think either one will be too happy with only 20. Not to mention there's the question of who plays in crunch time. Of course, if Brimah blows up this year and goes into the draft, this all changes. But I don't think coming off of shoulder surgery that's something we should be expecting.

Dogbreath2U

RIP, DB2U
Reaction Score
Thanks for the info. If that's the case, then I'm probably in the minority here, but I don't want Stone. There's only 40 minutes to give out, and I don't think either one will be too happy with only 20. Not to mention there's the question of who plays in crunch time. Of course, if Brimah blows up this year and goes into the draft, this all changes. But I don't think coming off of shoulder surgery that's something we should be expecting.

In this video, Diamond looks quicker than on other tapes I've seen. One nice thing is that he kind of knocks other people around rather than getting knocked out of bounds himself. That could come in handy. Nice shooting touch, runs pretty well too.

Reaction Score
'96? He must have been on that team which stunned Ray and company where the guards played their career games………and Doron was playing on one leg while Ricky watched with a bad ankle……….awful loss.

No he wasn't on that team. He came in a year later. And that MSU team was really good. They started off the year ranked around the Top 10.

Reaction Score

Yes you're in the minority if you don't want a consensus Top 15 player, especially a center. The single most valuable asset in basketball is a great big man.

Reaction Score
First, this kid is a top talent, of course we want him. Second, no way do you pass on him when Brimah could be here one or two seasons and leave. We need a guy like Stone ASAP. He can play right away.

Rico444

In the mix for six
Reaction Score
First, this kid is a top talent, of course we want him. Second, no way do you pass on him when Brimah could be here one or two seasons and leave. We need a guy like Stone ASAP. He can play right away.

Stone is likely a one-and-done player; if Brimah is still here for his junior year; where do they both play? Do you remember how ugly Oriakhi at the 4 was?

Reaction Score

Brimah will be a junior by then.

If you don't bring in Stone, then what?

You go into the next season with a frosh center (if you manage to land one) or no one?

Can't have that.

20 minutes is plenty for a frosh center.

A team like Kentucky has 4 frosh/sophomore centers.

Rico444

In the mix for six
Reaction Score
Brimah will be a junior by then.

If you don't bring in Stone, then what?

You go into the next season with a frosh center (if you manage to land one) or no one?

Can't have that.

20 minutes is plenty for a frosh center.

A team like Kentucky has 4 frosh/sophomore centers.

I don't necessarily have a problem with it. If he's OK with coming in and playing 2nd fiddle to Brimah, then that's fine. I suspect, however, that he wants to play 30+ minutes in his (likely) one season in college. If we're bringing him in to try to play one of them at PF when neither has the skillset to do so, THAT'S where I'm concerned, and it that's the case then I'd rather go after someone who's Ok with playing a backup role for a year before taking over.

Dove

Part of the 2%
Reaction Score
I don't necessarily have a problem with it. If he's OK with coming in and playing 2nd fiddle to Brimah, then that's fine. I suspect, however, that he wants to play 30+ minutes in his (likely) one season in college. If we're bringing him in to try to play one of them at PF when neither has the skillset to do so, THAT'S where I'm concerned, and it that's the case then I'd rather go after someone who's Ok with playing a backup role for a year before taking over.
And remember...Brimah is still a foul machine until he proves he isn't a foul machine. Plenty of minutes for Stone...unless he is a foul machine, too. :oops:

Reaction Score
While I like Brimah's potential, we still don't know what he can bring on a nightly basis… If Stone comes in, PT will go to whoever earns it, as it should be… Doubtful you would see them on the floor at the same time.

Bottom-line is we all should hope & pray that our biggest issue is how to divvy up the minutes between these 2...

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
dogfan96 said:
The single most valuable asset in basketball is a great big man.

Shabazz and Kemba disagree.
So does Strummer!

Last edited:

YearoftheHusky

Name checks out.
Reaction Score
Yes you're in the minority if you don't want a consensus Top 15 player, especially a center. The single most valuable asset in basketball is a great big man.

Kemba and Shabazz say hi. :)

Reaction Score
Kemba and Shabazz say hi. :)

This board appears to have PTSD after the Oriakhi junior year experience. Prior to that, we watch Okafor, Boone, Thabeet and Oriakhi sophomore swat people away and bludgeon them inside.

CAHUSKY

UConn Class of 2013
Reaction Score
This board appears to have PTSD after the Oriakhi junior year experience. Prior to that, we watch Okafor, Boone, Thabeet and Oriakhi sophomore swat people away and bludgeon them inside.
Only Okafor won a title and was the most important player on the team. Clearly guards are more important to uconns current success. . That was the point

Reaction Score
The lack of production from the center position has been the #1 complaint for 2 straight years. Sure, Brimah is a very pleasant surprise....but are we already at the point where people are suggesting we should pass on the best center in the country?

Reaction Score
Only Okafor won a title and was the most important player on the team. Clearly guards are more important to uconns current success. . That was the point
Jake the Snake and King Chuck beg to differ!!!!!!!

Reaction Score

Boone was a huge key in 2004. The guy literally kept the team alive in the BET.

And it certainly wasn't Thabeet's fault in 2009,.

By the way, Oriakhi also won a title.

Reaction Score
Stone is likely a one-and-done player; if Brimah is still here for his junior year; where do they both play? Do you remember how ugly Oriakhi at the 4 was?

I don't think so. I think of it like DHam. If he blows up his freshmen year, he's gone. If not he'll be around at least an extra season.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Newbie32

Top Bottom