Still not happy about the last two final four games | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Still not happy about the last two final four games

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fightin Choke

Golden Dome Fan
Reaction Score
The ND game will not be pretty.
There are many many UConn fans who thought that about last season's games, but of course you mean that the game will be ugly for ND fans this time around. I appreciate your confidence and UConn will certainly be favored, but the Irish have been playing very well in this series lately. What UConn fan would have predicted the FF loss 2 years ago or the season ending loss in Hartford last season? As a Notre Dame fan I certainly realize that UConn will have a far better team on paper next year than Notre Dame, but you appear a tad overconfident IMO. I look forward to the 2 to 4 games next season!

alexrgct

RIP, Alex
Reaction Score
There are many many UConn fans who thought that about last season's games, but of course you mean that the game will be ugly for ND fans this time around. I appreciate your confidence and UConn will certainly be favored, but the Irish have been playing very well in this series lately. What UConn fan would have predicted the FF loss 2 years ago or the season ending loss in Hartford last season? As a Notre Dame fan I certainly realize that UConn will have a far better team on paper next year than Notre Dame, but you appear a tad overconfident IMO. I look forward to the 2 to 4 games next season!
There was actually a lot of nervousness about the Final Four game two years ago. Sweeping a team 4-0 is tough. ND had crushed OU and handled Tennessee, while Uconn had really struggled in its third game against Georgetown and A&M had just beaten Baylor in its fourth attempt. Not to mention the game would be in Indiana. Prior to the start of the tourney, I posted a thread as to who people would prefer to play, ND for a fourth time or Tennessee, and 2/3 of the responses favored Tennessee.

Last year, I thought UConn would beat ND in Hartford in the rematch after giving the game away in South Bend, but then UConn had some ugly games, including the St John's loss, and I became much less confident.

I do not expect ND can compete with UConn next year. Diggins played pretty well against Baylor in the finals. It was her outgoing senior teammates who laid eggs. They needed to play well for ND to be elite, and ND isn't returning/bringing in enough to replace what they've lost. Meanwhile, UConn for all intents and purposes "only" lost Tiffany Hayes. There is a good chance that, even without the the 2012 recruiting class, UConn would be better next season than they were the last one. Throw in Breanna, Morgan, and Moriah, and that is just an absolutely disgusting team. ND will not have depth or size to deal with what UConn is going to throw at them. I really think next year is going to be a lot like 2009-2010, with two teams kind of pre-ordained to be a cut above everyone else and the defending champs being favored to repeat. Everyone else is a HUGE underdog.

Reaction Score
There was actually a lot of nervousness about the Final Four game two years ago. Sweeping a team 4-0 is tough. ND had crushed OU and handled Tennessee, while Uconn had really struggled in its third game against Georgetown and A&M had just beaten Baylor in its fourth attempt. Not to mention the game would be in Indiana. Prior to the start of the tourney, I posted a thread as to who people would prefer to play, ND for a fourth time or Tennessee, and 2/3 of the responses favored Tennessee.

Not only tough, but unprecedented in women's college basketball.

alexrgct

RIP, Alex
Reaction Score
I can see how this is confusing, but rjp is (mostly) correct. He wrote: "Everyone thought she'd have a sophomore slump with ND graduating 4 starters." He is referring to her sophomore campaign, which of course is when one would have a sophomore slump. After Skylar's freshman year, Notre Dame had to replace 3 (not 4) starters (Shrader, Barlow, and Lechlitner), as only she and Bruiser returned as starters (Peters, Novosel, and Mallory were bench players Skylar's freshman year). And Notre Dame made the championship game in Skylar's sophomore year. Of course her junior campaign was last year, when only Bruiser needed to be replaced as a starter and McBride stepped into a starting role. This coming year Notre Dame will need to replace 3 starters again, with only Skylar and McBride returning.
I can't remember for certain, but my impression is that Mallory, Peters, and Novosel may not have started in 2009-10, but they contributed significantly. There really wasn't anyone other than Achonwa who came off the bench last year for ND and gave consistent contributions.

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
You made an incorrect grammatical statement. The Irish should never win.

Should never win...LOL. I like that line of thinking. I feel the exact same way about OU, Texas and Texas Tech. I don't care about TAMU anymore.

Fightin Choke

Golden Dome Fan
Reaction Score
I can't remember for certain, but my impression is that Mallory, Peters, and Novosel may not have started in 2009-10, but they contributed significantly. There really wasn't anyone other than Achonwa who came off the bench last year for ND and gave consistent contributions.
That's very true, Alex. The bench played a fairly big role in Skylar's freshman campaign, with Mallory (19), Peters (18) and Novosel (15) each getting significant minutes. But last year the bench played significant minutes (believe it or not), just not so much in big games: Achonwa (17), Turner (13), and Wright (10). Miller (who graduated) played 12 minutes a game. The trio of Mallory (6.5), Peters (6.7), and Novosel (5.0) totaled 18 points/game Skylar's freshman year while Achonwa (7.6), Turner (3.4), and Wright (3.3) scored only 14/game last season. Probably not as big a difference as one would have expected, I think.

UConn will certainly have a ridiculous amount of talent next season, and Geno certainly knows how to deal with talent. But you can only play 5 players on the court at a time and Muffet has been amazing in getting fantastic contributions from whatever talent she recruits. Irish fans are excited about getting such a bountiful recruiting haul the past two years (crossing our fingers until LOI's are signed and faxed for the 2013), but we do not expect Skylar to go out with a whisper.

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score

Last year, I thought UConn would beat ND in Hartford in the rematch after giving the game away in South Bend, but then UConn had some ugly games, including the St John's loss, and I became much less confident.

I do not expect ND can compete with UConn next year. Diggins played pretty well against Baylor in the finals. It was her outgoing senior teammates who laid eggs. They needed to play well for ND to be elite, and ND isn't returning/bringing in enough to replace what they've lost. Meanwhile, UConn for all intents and purposes "only" lost Tiffany Hayes. There is a good chance that, even without the the 2012 recruiting class, UConn would be better next season than they were the last one. Throw in Breanna, Morgan, and Moriah, and that is just an absolutely disgusting team. ND will not have depth or size to deal with what UConn is going to throw at them. I really think next year is going to be a lot like 2009-2010, with two teams kind of pre-ordained to be a cut above everyone else and the defending champs being favored to repeat. Everyone else is a HUGE underdog.

I cannot imagine ND staying close to UConn in any of the games next season. It is going to be a very tough year for them, at least in the beginning. They are bringing in some good talent and will compete well against most teams, but not UConn.

speedoo

Big Apple Big Dog
Reaction Score
I can see how this is confusing, but rjp is (mostly) correct. He wrote: "Everyone thought she'd have a sophomore slump with ND graduating 4 starters." He is referring to her sophomore campaign, which of course is when one would have a sophomore slump. After Skylar's freshman year, Notre Dame had to replace 3 (not 4) starters (Shrader, Barlow, and Lechlitner), as only she and Bruiser returned as starters (Peters, Novosel, and Mallory were bench players Skylar's freshman year). And Notre Dame made the championship game in Skylar's sophomore year. Of course her junior campaign was last year, when only Bruiser needed to be replaced as a starter and McBride stepped into a starting role. This coming year Notre Dame will need to replace 3 starters again, with only Skylar and McBride returning.
Thanks for clearing that up.. I missed that "sophomore slump" comment.

alexrgct

RIP, Alex
Reaction Score
That's very true, Alex. The bench played a fairly big role in Skylar's freshman campaign, with Mallory (19), Peters (18) and Novosel (15) each getting significant minutes. But last year the bench played significant minutes (believe it or not), just not so much in big games: Achonwa (17), Turner (13), and Wright (10). Miller (who graduated) played 12 minutes a game. The trio of Mallory (6.5), Peters (6.7), and Novosel (5.0) totaled 18 points/game Skylar's freshman year while Achonwa (7.6), Turner (3.4), and Wright (3.3) scored only 14/game last season. Probably not as big a difference as one would have expected, I think.

UConn will certainly have a ridiculous amount of talent next season, and Geno certainly knows how to deal with talent. But you can only play 5 players on the court at a time and Muffet has been amazing in getting fantastic contributions from whatever talent she recruits. Irish fans are excited about getting such a bountiful recruiting haul the past two years (crossing our fingers until LOI's are signed and faxed for the 2013), but we do not expect Skylar to go out with a whisper.
The difference in minutes in meaningful games is what's significant. No one other than Achonwa, for instance, played a minute off the bench for ND in the national semis, whereas Peters and Novosel (and to a lesser extent Mallory) were part of the regular rotation in 2009-10. Diggins, McBride, and Achonwa are battle tested, but no one else on ND has gone up against tough college competition. There will be some growing pains. ND should still be good, but more like top 10 good than top 5.

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score

Achonwa will be a very capable post player and Loyd (MVP of the WBCA All-Star game) will add some good offensive fire power. Add Mabrey to the mix and ND's cupboard will certainly not be bare but Diggins will have to play a major role in developing the young players.

Tonyc

Optimus Prime
Reaction Score
Losses to Baylor and ND showed us last season how refs can control the outcomes of games. Not getting to the line againest Baylor and having an 11 point lead and then after losing that lead we get to the line????? Playing ND the past 2 seasons and critical calls down the stretch that hurt Uconn tells me that as good as UConn is they could lose. I will admit beginning this season its going to be very difficult for UConn to lose barring injuries. However theres always those phanton fouls and my biggest concern this season is againest Baylor in the NCAAs. The game at UConn I think we win because we will get to the line.

Reaction Score
The more I watch the replay of this game, the more I admire Kelly Faris. I am telling you she put those girls on her back and refused to lose. SHE WAS EVERYWHERE ! It was Diana-like. Can you imagine the pressure on her to HAVE to still make the free throws, after making those HUGE defensive plays to get there. That girl can play, and she stepped up at the crucial time when her team needed her most.
We had the best defense in the country last year. I know we led the country in holding opponents to the lowest field goal %. I forget what the exact number was, but it seemed like everytime we played ND the defense was there, we were draped all over them, and they would throw it up and bank it in.
I think that stops this coming year. I like Muffett, and she does it the right way, and it is going to be nice having 2 of the best teams in the country from the same conference battle for the top spot in the coming years.
I will give Baylor 1 more year as the possible odds-on fave. However, I think we can beat them.
Louisville will be strong. Maryland will be stronger. A&M will be tuff, but very young. Duke will be VERY good. Stanford as usual will be in the mix. I know I'm leaving some deserving program out, so come on... Help me guys.

Reaction Score
Losses to Baylor and ND showed us last season how refs can control the outcomes of games. Not getting to the line againest Baylor and having an 11 point lead and then after losing that lead we get to the line?????

Doesnt seem like a very gracious loser.

It can be hard to get to the line against Baylor because Griner's presence pushes a lot of activity to the perimeter.

Reaction Score

Not to nit pick because it doesn't matter, but Williamson had taken over the starting role in the post by the time the tourney started. She had been a starter, replaced by Bruiser, then re-submitted in the starting line-up. Mallory and Peters were returning after ACL's and received limited minutes. Peter's didn't even return till mid season and never quite got going. Novosel had a huge soph slump where she regressed statistically to worse than her frosh season. Later she attributed it to not knowing her role and admitted that she considered transferring.

I don't expect ND to beat UConn or Baylor. I do expect them to be better than most think. McBride is in position to explode. She deferred to the other starters last year. She's a great shooter and she'll take more shots. Just so people can prepare their complaining about the refs...McBride stated that in her exit meeting with MM that it was suggested that next year she "just start running people over and see what happens". I don't think HG is gospel by any means but they've claimed Loyd might be the best offensive player in the class. She should get shots in ND's offense. With Achonwa added to the mix and I think there are really only 3 teams I would for sure pencil in as superior to ND: UConn, Baylor, and Duke (until they lose some players to injury or suspension which seems to have been happening lately). There are probably another 6 teams that could take ND depending on location of the game: Cal, Louisville, Stanford, Penn St., Kentucky, and DePaul.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score

It can be hard to get to the line against Baylor because Griner's presence pushes a lot of activity to the perimeter.
People keep trying to import reality into Tonyworld. It ain't gonna happen.

pinotbear

Silly Ol' Bear
Reaction Score
Yeah. Kinda like the rejection of an organ transplant.:)

Tonyc

Optimus Prime
Reaction Score

Good Point so next season with Dolsen Stewart Stokes no opponet should go to the line againest UCOnn?????? Let s see the refs do that?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom