Stewie's Story | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Stewie's Story

ctfjr

Life is short, ride hard
Reaction Score
It truly is a sick, insane world that with all the computers and knowledge gathering, I can't help feeling that we're going backwards as the Human Race! And what's even scarier is I don't see it changing for the good anytime soon!
Very very sad!

No, I don't agree - Its because of the technology and the free flowing information machine we have now that lets these stories be told to a wider audience. You don't think these things always happened? Now its just easier to have them told.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
It truly is a sick, insane world that with all the computers and knowledge gathering, I can't help feeling that we're going backwards as the Human Race! And what's even scarier is I don't see it changing for the good anytime soon!
Very very sad!
I wish I could disagree with you, but I have the same awful sense that something is fundamentally broken. It makes me terribly angry that all these young women and girls have been abused and hurt by a succession of despicable predators lacking in simple human decency.

While I would hope that Stewie’s courageous story, along with countless others made public in the past few weeks and months might help turn the tide against this epidemic of abuse, I have my doubts.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
I couldn't finish reading it. I'm in tears. I feel sick.

Now I'm angry. How have we failed all of these women who have responded to #Me too. All those who haven't responded who have had to live with this all these years. All those who at this moment are living through this nightmare. How have we so failed ourselves as men? As a society?

Not to bring politics too far into this spotlight. But when Obama was elected as our president so many called America a "post racial society" When will this ever be called a post predator society? When?
For most guys that is way the we think, isn't it? "Why didn't foresee (any problem) and "how do we fix this?" I don't know that there it is possible to fix the problem. I certainly know that it can't be "fixed" once it has occurred. We can only respond to it. I suspect that the best we can do practically is "be there," give unconditional love and support and let the survivors process it at their own pace.

In any event, I am glad for, and proud of, Breanna's courage.

Reaction Score
As I get older (and hopefully wiser) I realize how out of touch I was as a kid growing up with what many of my friends and classmates may have been going through.

Many of us were raised in an environment where you didn't talk about such things outside of the family because "it ins't anyone's business but ours." Fortunately, I never had to deal with anything like this personally, but I find that my kids are very aware of these problems within their peer groups, usually mental abuse more so than physical abuse.

It has made for some very intense discussions around the dinner table a few times over the years as they moved through middle school and into high school.

Reaction Score
I feel all of what you all have said. But there's something else I couldn't help but notice, and I know it's an almost trivial point when compared with sexual abuse, but still...
She is one hell of a writer.

BigBird

Et In Hoc Signo Vinces
Reaction Score
Bless you, Stewie. Your essay is immensely powerful, and very well-written. I hope, as a result of this courageous statement, you will find an even more complete and permanent healing.

Stewie Strong!

Reaction Score
I taught school for 30 years, retiring in 2000 and coached for 32 years, retiring in 2002 and I believe one major cause of the lack of morals, civility, and chivalry is the lack of a family structure at home! Where families in the past spent a huge amount of time together, today every member of the family has their own schedule, responsibilities, and desires! Where a family used to sit around the dinner table and discuss what happened that day and just TALKED to each other, every person is out doing their own thing and the only time the WHOLE family is together is when they're sleeping in the same house!
I can't begin to tell you the huge number of kids in 1st through 5th grade that had house keys on their backpacks to let themselves into the house after school because no one would be home for hours!

In the Columbine horror one of the 2 boys had guns and a bomb laying in his room on the floor and his parents were told by him not to enter his room and never knew the craziness growing in their house! What parent doesn't check up on their children? Making sure they're safe or out of trouble!
In Newtown Adam Lanza with a mental disorder was taken to gun ranges by his mother and guns were kept in the house, making it easy for him to go on an insane rampage!

sarals24

Lone Starlet
Reaction Score
This has gone on since the dawn of time. It's just that women are finding their voices, and technology is allowing a wider audience to hear it. I think that's the only way it can come to an end. She is so incredibly brave to talk about this, and I hope it reaches the ears of a little girl or boy who is going through the same thing and gives them the courage to say something. As a new mother with young children, I am terrified about all the things I have to protect them from on a daily basis. Good for her parents for believing her and doing something about. Way too often it gets swept under the rug, in the interest of "family."

ThisJustIn

Queen of Queens
Reaction Score
I taught school for 30 years, retiring in 2000 and coached for 32 years, retiring in 2002 and I believe one major cause of the lack of morals, civility, and chivalry is the lack of a family structure at home! !

Sounds like you think all this is new? Have you not been paying attention? Open your eyes and breath, sir. My mother is 84 years old. She grew up in a very wealthy area of Connecticut. Her dad died when she was five and when her mom remarried, he was quite the catch. The principal of a highly regarded private school. He was quite the educator. Beloved by all.

And he sexually molested my mother and her sister.

I grew up with a fabulous "family structure." Two parents who were honest with me, who trusted me. Who supported and loved me and modeled for me civility, morality and community service. The one rule was that we ate dinner together.

And a friend of the family sexually molested me.

This. Is. Not. New. There was no mythical past where men were gentlemen and women were not harassed, raped or abused. If you're suddenly horrified you simply have not been paying attention. Or listening.

Sorry, men. This is on you. Commit to fixing it. Look in the mirror and say "This will no longer be tolerated. I will treat women with respect. I will tell other men to do so. I will raise sons and nephews to do the same. I will call out my friends and co-workers. I will believe women and I will be part of making a better world for them. A world where they are safer simply because the abuse of women is no longer dismissed or tolerated."

End this.

BigBird

Et In Hoc Signo Vinces
Reaction Score
Sounds like you think all this is new? Have you not been paying attention? Open your eyes and breath, sir. My mother is 84 years old. She grew up in a very wealthy area of Connecticut. Her dad died when she was five and when her mom remarried, he was quite the catch. The principal of a highly regarded private school. He was quite the educator. Beloved by all.

And he sexually molested my mother and her sister.

I grew up with a fabulous "family structure." Two parents who were honest with me, who trusted me. Who supported and loved me and modeled for me civility, morality and community service. The one rule was that we ate dinner together.

And a friend of the family sexually molested me.

This. Is. Not. New. There was no mythical past where men were gentlemen and women were not harassed, raped or abused. If you're suddenly horrified you simply have not been paying attention. Or listening.

Sorry, men. This is on you. Commit to fixing it. Look in the mirror and say "This will no longer be tolerated. I will treat women with respect. I will tell other men to do so. I will raise sons and nephews to do the same. I will call out my friends and co-workers. I will believe women and I will be part of making a better world for them. A world where they are safer simply because the abuse of women is no longer dismissed or tolerated."

End this.

Thank you for this post.

Reaction Score
I couldn't finish reading it. I'm in tears. I feel sick.

Now I'm angry. How have we failed all of these women who have responded to #Me too. All those who haven't responded who have had to live with this all these years. All those who at this moment are living through this nightmare. How have we so failed ourselves as men? As a society?

Not to bring politics too far into this spotlight. But when Obama was elected as our president so many called America a "post racial society" When will this ever be called a post predator society? When?
Never

Reaction Score
I feel all of what you all have said. But there's something else I couldn't help but notice, and I know it's an almost trivial point when compared with sexual abuse, but still...
She is one hell of a writer.
Not to take anything away from Stewie's writing, but The Players Tribune seems to give a lot of editorial assistance to the athletes who publish there. Have seen very eloquent pieces there from athletes who appear borderline illiterate on TV.

In any case, you are correct that this is trivial relative to her message, which was very powerful and courageous.

Reaction Score
I couldn't get through it. Sickening. No words to describe what I would do to the guy.

Reaction Score
If you want to know the opinion towards survivors read any articles about cases such as bill Cosby, Harvey Weinstein or [mod edit] ...and then read the comments that follow. I understand about people hiding behind the anonymity of the internet...but I believe it’s easier for them to say exactly what they think without ramifications...no matter how it is.

Last edited by a moderator:

jennyo70

Loo'ville Lady
Reaction Score
Given Stewie’s platform, there is no doubt in my mind that her story will give some young girl the courage to speak up and find help. That is life changing.

Unfortunately, Stewie’s story is all too common. This kind of event, #metoo, is the nugget of good in social media. The sheer volume of women coming forward has been overwhelmingly shocking to my male friends. I know it is increasing conversations around consent, on a daily basis, for many of those households. For that, I am grateful.

Many blessings to Stewie for her courageous words on a national and international stage. I applaud, and thank her, for that courage.

#metoo

Reaction Score
That was heartbreaking, she's incredibly brave for sharing her story.

Jmpenn

LVFan; Equitable Visitor
Reaction Score
Thank goodness that she was able to go to her parents and that they believed her and did everything they could to help her heal. It just kills me to hear stories of a family not believing their child especially a mother. I hate so much that she suffered through the abuse for two years but I’m glad that she was able to tell her parents and get some justice as well. She could have easily let this ruin her life but instead she was able to succeed in life. I hope talking about this horrible experience not only helps others but also helps her. I have a 2 year old girl and reading this made me want to never let her out of my sight.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom