Stewie ? | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Stewie ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
if she stays healthy, i think where she will have an edge over maya and diana is at the defensive end , and on the boards. in the end she may remind of bill russell in those areas. she can already score in as many ways, if not more, than anybody uconn has had. also, in watching her a few times last night i was amazed at how quickly she can get up and down the floor. i think she's a bit more athletic than people give her credit for.
You mean she's not as goofy as one might believe?

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
Also, the main reason DT's team likely didn't win her freshman year was due to injuries imo. To a lesser degree, Maya's team as well.
Nope - it was all DTs fault! She is not only the leader in the club house having won three, but also the only one to have personally lost one - something Maya never did!:cool::rolleyes:

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
It kinda bothers me that Tina is not mentioned as an integral teammate to Maya in the back to back championships.
I don't think any of us forget her, it's just that Charles is in the level right below the Moore/DT level. The Bird/Charles/Abrosimova level. Superstar, but not quite GOAT level.

Reaction Score
Funny, I was thinking of Stewie and BG. Let's face it, they each have some unique physical gifts that neither Maya nor Dee could ever match.

FWIW: I think BS has (ALREADY) done more with her God-Given physical gifts than BG was able to demonstrate and - she's done it within the team atmosphere.

Because (for example) of her 7'2" reach, she CAN and DOES do things no one else will be able to do (so, it's really apples and oranges).

Now Stefanie Dolson? - There's a young woman who's vastly expanded her physical talents by transforming her body.

I really like this team!

IMO, she is the best colleger player I have seen. I am not saying that she is as dominating individually as Griner, but she is the most talented I have seen in the game.

Aluminny69

Old Timer
Reaction Score
It kinda bothers me that Tina is not mentioned as an integral teammate to Maya in the back to back championships.

AND, I think Dolson is an integral teammate to Stewart. Dolson is a great passer, and takes a lot of pressure off Stewart. Please give SD her due...

Reaction Score
She's on track to be mentioned among those two, but we won't be able to evaluate in earnest until 2 years from now.

If she wins 3 POY awards, 4 championships, and is the undisputed leader of the team for 2 of them, she may even achieve her own level.

RadyLady

The Glass is Half Full
Reaction Score
I don't think any of us forget her, it's just that Charles is in the level right below the Moore/DT level. The Bird/Charles/Abrosimova level. Superstar, but not quite GOAT level.

OK, so what I didn't finish saying, is that Maya and her team lost in the final four in 2011 (without Charles). Dee won three consecutive championships, taking her team on her back, showing great leadership and inspiration. (This is to the argument that I believe Diana is better than Maya in this respect - sometimes with these greats, it's similar to comparing apples and oranges).

So Breanna has three more years to go, three unknowns. I guess that means that I am leaning to the side that she is great, yes, but we have three more years. Let's wait until they are over before assigning accolades...and enjoy what we have, while we wait.

But Maya did not win a NCAA championship without Tina

Last edited:
Reaction Score
She's not Maya, and certainly not Diana. At least not yet. Memories tend to be biased towards the present. Go on youtube and watch Maya and Diana and you'll have your answer.
Totally correct!
Very few people know that Otto Graham was the greatest QB of all time, no one ever even came close.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
OK, so what I didn't finish saying, is that Maya and her team lost in the final four in 2011 (without Charles). Dee won three consecutive championships, taking her team on her back, showing great leadership and inspiration. (This is to the argument that I believe Diana is better than Maya in this respect - sometimes with these greats, it's similar to comparing apples and oranges).

So Breanna has three more years to go, three unknowns. I guess that means that I am leaning to the side that she is great, yes, but we have three more years. Let's wait until they are over before assigning accolades...and enjoy what we have, while we wait.

But Maya did win a NCAA championship without Tina
I agree there is always an argument for Moore or DT. And there are plenty of people in each camp. And both camps can make good arguments. The thing is now, or rather in 2016 (providing no major injuries), the argument will change to Moore/DT/Stewart.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
I'm in the let's wait and see crowd, but I would not take odds against her. Geno has said that unlike last year, when she was resistant to coaching, she is like a sponge in accepting coaching this year. She currently has one advantage on DT and Maya: there is no one in the starting 5 that the opponent can sag off of with little risk. For this year at least she is also blessed with a center who is a supreme passer and Stef and Stewie have the old hi-low working like a Georgia mule on a cool day. What DT accomplished in her senior year, playing with a touchy back for much of the second half, was monumental. End of the day I would keep all three in the same sentence if it all plays out as we hope.

Reaction Score
To all of the comments, can't wait until Rio to have the chance to see DT, Maya, EDD, and Stewie , on the floor at the same time, with either BG or Tina. Those Olympics might be the beginning of greatness for the women's game, like the Men's Dream Team in 1992.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
if she stays healthy, i think where she will have an edge over maya and diana is at the defensive end , and on the boards. in the end she may remind of bill russell in those areas. she can already score in as many ways, if not more, than anybody uconn has had. also, in watching her a few times last night i was amazed at how quickly she can get up and down the floor. i think she's a bit more athletic than people give her credit for.
She's freakishly athletic! There are times my mouth drops open watching what she can do.

Ozzie Nelson

RIP, Ozzie
Reaction Score
Totally correct!
Very few people know that Otto Graham was the greatest QB of all time, no one ever even came close.

We, I don’t know about that, but he was good enough to keep George Ratterman sitting on the bench. Here is what George looked like...

Reaction Score
She will be the best of all time in the end. So far she has a mediocre freshman season under her belt and a stellar sophomore season done. Her career arc will be meteoric.
I would qualify the "mediocre freshman season" a bit because she had the best first ten games of any freshman in UConn history and on the other end, she had close to the best post season tournaments in freshman history with two MVP's. That suggests calling it something other than mediocre. It was definitely a little Jekyll & Hyde but after a largely mediocre mid and later season, she obviously turned the corner in time to help UConn to their 8th title.

Reaction Score
AND, I think Dolson is an integral teammate to Stewart. Dolson is a great passer, and takes a lot of pressure off Stewart. Please give SD her due...
I am surely one of Dolson's biggest fans here and have often talked of what it's going to be like without her contributions next year. We'll still obviously have a great amount of talent but she surely makes life so much easier for everyone with her exceptional defense and her wonderful offensive skills both as a scorer and maybe even more, as a facilitator. Beyond being the ultimate "big girl" passer, her abilities to go left or right when in the post, shooting with either hand and also to be able to knock down 15 to 20 foot shots regularly puts so much pressure on our opponents. Meanwhile the other girls are free to make cuts and work to get free, knowing that if they are successful, there's a strong likelihood that a Dolson pass will be waiting for them. I'm glad there are others like yourself who realize how very special she is.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
She's on track to be mentioned among those two, but we won't be able to evaluate in earnest until 2 years from now.

Baloney. We don't need to wait 2 years to "evaluate in earnest". She's great and in the Top 3 now, today. She just killed the #3 team on the road in front of 22,000 fans. And it's not like her team was making their shots. She was dominant on D and on the glass. When the O stalled she posted up and put the game out of reach. What about that steal to start the 2nd half? Less than 10 seconds in and she blew up the Cards 2nd game plan. I think some of you guys are taking her for granted. You're just talking about compiling stats with that "wait 2 years" stuff. As far as on-court play, DT and MM had nothing on Stewie.

Reaction Score

But Maya did win a NCAA championship without Tina
I want to argue that Maya played and lost her senior year against a superlatively coached and talented Notre Dame team and that she played magnificently while her team never seemed to leave the starting gate. The teams that Dee won with in her last two years played against teams in my mind that weren't nearly as talented or as well coached. Beyond that, her teammates gave a lot more on the court than did the Huskies in that semi-final loss of Maya's last year. Basketball is surely not a one person sport but I don't have any recollection of anyone carrying the team as much as Maya did in the comeback win against Stanford where UConn (with Charles) only scored 12 points in the first half. Maya was the inspiration that brought them back and finished off their unbeaten season. There's no way you are ever going to convince me that Dee would have made any difference in that loss to Notre Dame that denied Maya a third championship and I can unequivocally say that Maya in her freshman year played far better in the NCAA tournament loss to Stanford than did Dee in her freshman loss to Notre Dame. She had a horrific night of shooting where she took UConn out of any chance to win the game. She missed shot after shot after shot and buried any hopes of them beating the Irish after having had a big halftime lead. Sometimes the "myth" of Dianne seems to be perpetuated here.

Reaction Score
Baloney. We don't need to wait 2 years to "evaluate in earnest". She's great and in the Top 3 now, today. She just killed the #3 team on the road in front of 22,000 fans. And it's not like her team was making their shots. She was dominant on D and on the glass. When the O stalled she posted up and put the game out of reach. What about that steal to start the 2nd half? Less than 10 seconds in and she blew up the Cards 2nd game plan. I think some of you guys are taking her for granted. You're just talking about compiling stats with that "wait 2 years" stuff. As far as on-court play, DT and MM had nothing on Stewie.
I agree wholeheartedly. It's like a starving artist can't get any recognition until he or she is dead? She has already done enough to create a legacy. We aren't sure how much greater it'll be but it's a hell of a start, isn't it.

RadyLady

The Glass is Half Full
Reaction Score
I want to argue that Maya played and lost her senior year against a superlatively coached and talented Notre Dame team and that she played magnificently while her team never seemed to leave the starting gate. The teams that Dee won with in her last two years played against teams in my mind that weren't nearly as talented or as well coached. Beyond that, her teammates gave a lot more on the court than did the Huskies in that semi-final loss of Maya's last year. Basketball is surely not a one person sport but I don't have any recollection of anyone carrying the team as much as Maya did in the comeback win against Stanford where UConn (with Charles) only scored 12 points in the first half. Maya was the inspiration that brought them back and finished off their unbeaten season. 1. There's no way you are ever going to convince me that Dee would have made any difference in that loss to Notre Dame that denied Maya a third championship and I can unequivocally say that Maya in her freshman year played far better in the NCAA tournament loss to Stanford than did Dee in her freshman loss to Notre Dame. 2. She had a horrific night of shooting where she took UConn out of any chance to win the game. She missed shot after shot after shot and buried any hopes of them beating the Irish after having had a big halftime lead. 3. Sometimes the "myth" of Dianne seems to be perpetuated here.

1. well, sir, we will never know
2. A shooter shoots. Period. Had the shots fallen, we would not be having this discussion. Plus, I think that there was more going on at that game.
3. There is no "Myth of 'Dianne'" There is Diana, she is UConn, and we are UConn. And there is no myth. She is a great player. As such, we must agree to disagree here.

Reaction Score
Totally correct!

Really ? He did have a great playoff record (9-3) but lifetime stats of under 200 yards a game. 55% completion rate and an interception rate if 5.1% (one out of every 20 attempts intercepted) doesn't quite make him the greatest of all time with a "no one ever even came close". That is about the same as saying that Johnny Weissmuller was the greatest swimmer of ever.

Reaction Score
Does Stewie belong in the conversation with Diana and Maya?
Yes. Not taking anything away from each player's supporting cast, but the individual skills of Stewart can not be ignored. One distinction is this: while DT and MM where difference makers on offense, BS can win you the game by dominating on the defensive end as well as going off on the offensive end.

Having said that, there is no need to bring up such a conversation, as all the players are special in their own way. Just enjoy.

Reaction Score
1. well, sir, we will never know
2. A shooter shoots. Period. Had the shots fallen, we would not be having this discussion. Plus, I think that there was more going on at that game.
3. There is no "Myth of 'Dianne'" There is Diana, she is UConn, and we are UConn. And there is no myth. She is a great player. As such, we must agree to disagree here.
I hope you know that Diana is in the conversation but it seems that seem people want to anoint her as clearly better than Maya based solely on national championships. I don't think that's accurate in any way because I don't think there's anyone in UConn history whose done more to potentially win four national titles than Ms. Moore. Diana was (and is) great as is Maya and it's possible that Stewie will surpass them in national titles (I sure hope so). Diana was more of a peacock and strutted and carried on, displaying her personality on the court, which may be why some feel she may have had more of a will to win than did Maya but I don't think anyone who played with Maya will ever contest her will and determination even if it wasn't characterized by displays that were as obvious. Both winners with immense talents. I guess we can just leave it at that. Go Huskies!

Reaction Score

Then we're talking about two different things. You're talking about instantaneous on-court ability. I'm talking about legacy.

I need to see Stewie's entire UConn career before evaluating her legacy. If anything, I'm not taking anything for granted.

Reaction Score
As I said in TonyC's thread and applies here.

It is certainly Breanna's path and trajectoryto be counted among the greatest and maybe the greatest but I think it is always a fool's errand to proclaim people the best or the greatest prematurely. None of us could have anticipated the realities of Bria season with the sprained ankle last year nor did we expect the problems besetting KML this year. A simple injury or two can chamge everything. How many made 3s will be lost to KML's career with the events of this year.

Once upon a time it was a foregone conclusion for many the Tiger would break Jack's record for majors now it looks a lot less likely.

Breanna has not even won her second national championship yet. Let's let her play and just enjoy the ride without unnecessary labels that cannot be fulfilled so early in a career.

There is all the promise in the world but fulfillment only comes with every game and every season that is completed.

This.

I'm gonna enjoy the heck out of the next five weeks and two years and at the end of it, hopefully be looking back on a historic run greater than anything we've ever seen. That, my friends, is when we can talk legacy and GOAT.

RadyLady

The Glass is Half Full
Reaction Score
I hope you know that Diana is in the conversation but it seems that seem people want to anoint her as clearly better than Maya based solely on national championships. I don't think that's accurate in any way because I don't think there's anyone in UConn history whose done more to potentially win four national titles than Ms. Moore. Diana was (and is) great as is Maya and it's possible that Stewie will surpass them in national titles (I sure hope so). Diana was more of a peacock and strutted and carried on, displaying her personality on the court, which may be why some feel she may have had more of a will to win than did Maya but I don't think anyone who played with Maya will ever contest her will and determination even if it wasn't characterized by displays that were as obvious. Both winners with immense talents. I guess we can just leave it at that. Go Huskies!

It appears that you didn't care for her on court behavior as you assume that folks utilize that talent as having a "will to win". Her leadership is what made her great. the antics were just for show. She has a great sense of humor.

Maya and Diana are both great. What anyone thinks that makes one "better" than the other is up to the beholder. If the beholder's decision disagrees with your decision, chalk it up to individuality.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LocalHits

Top Bottom