Stewie ? | The Boneyard

Stewie ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Does Stewie belong in the conversation with Diana and Maya? I don't watch too much WCBB anymore, but what I have seen of Stewie suggests that she may be approaching the level where she is mentioned with the top players in the history of the program.

Thoughts?

Dove

Part of the 2%
Reaction Score
She will be the best of all time in the end. So far she has a mediocre freshman season under her belt and a stellar sophomore season done. Her career arc will be meteoric.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Does Stewie belong in the conversation with Diana and Maya? I don't watch too much WCBB anymore, but what I have seen of Stewie suggests that she may be approaching the level where she is mentioned with the top players in the history of the program.

Thoughts?
It is fair to include her.

alexrgct

RIP, Alex
Reaction Score
She is absolutely getting there because more national championships and the NPOY award are waiting for her. Maya had two NCs and three NPOY awards. D had three and two. Stewie could win one or two (or hell, three) more and make NPOY as soon as this season, even. And if those things happen, she's in the discussion with the name of anyone who's ever worn the jersey. No question.

Reaction Score
She's not Maya, and certainly not Diana. At least not yet. Memories tend to be biased towards the present. Go on youtube and watch Maya and Diana and you'll have your answer.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
First...We're doomed. Doomed I say, dooooomed!

Not that that is out of the way. It is fair to compare her, but only as to what she may become. Crimeny, she was impressive tonight. She's another player that I feel privileged just to be able to watch her play. Who knows where that will leave her at the end of four years? I just want to enjoy every moment.

Zorro

Nuestro Zorro Amigo
Reaction Score
Well, Dove, her freshman season wasn't all THAT mediocre; she did get named the MVP of the final four; that is something.

Dove

Part of the 2%
Reaction Score
Well, Dove, her freshman season wasn't all THAT mediocre; she did get named the MVP of the final four; that is something.
The SEASON!! But yeah, it ended kinda good. :)

She will end up on UConn's Mt Rushmore for sure.

HGN

Reaction Score
Stewie is trending upward.........And definitely deserves the Honorable Mention here. But she just completed her 2nd season at UConn for Heaven's sake.. .I hesitate to put her in the same stratosphere with Maya and Diana , 2 Immortals. When Stewie has completed her 4 years , like the others, then lets have this conversation and see where she stands. I think she will continue to ascend and be placed On High with the Immortals of the Program , but she is not there yet.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
She's not Maya, and certainly not Diana. At least not yet. Memories tend to be biased towards the present. Go on youtube and watch Maya and Diana and you'll have your answer.

This. People are also biased, especially on this board, by how much they like a player from a personality perspective.

Also, the main reason DT's team likely didn't win her freshman year was due to injuries imo. To a lesser degree, Maya's team as well.

Stewart will write her own legacy. But she hasn't yet.

PacoSwede

Creeker in fact
Reaction Score

Thoughts?

She already -- and for quite awhile -- has been mentioned in this context. That's plain.

What the consensus will eventually be is unknown. Just speculation now. But she clearly is in the conversation.

It's interesting that responses to this post jumped right into speculations. There's no question about her being part of the conversation. Yet superstars such as Tina, Sue and Nykesha have not been (strangely: I don't know why this is so). So, Breanna is in quite an exalted spot.

Last edited:

DobbsRover2

Slap me 10
Reaction Score
Players all have their differences and special talents, so these "who's the best" debates are always problematic. And for a post player like Stewie, this discussion doesn't even include the Husky who's by far the tops in rebounds and 2nd in points, and another player who had the highest rebounding average while also getting the 4th best ppg average.

And like last night when ESPN was doing its tribute to UConn's undefeated NC teams while not getting the facts quite perfect, they lauded the back-to-back championships of Maya Moore's teams. How often does another NPOY get ignored in these types of credits?

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score

Thoughts?
Too soon.
No, like a few of us on here said before she even came to UCONN, we were looking at a player who "could" be on the Taurasi/Moore level. She seems to be living up to that already here in her 2nd year. A little rough her freshmen year, but really, really coming on now. And with 2 more years to go. We are looking at possibly/probably a 3 time AA and a 2 time NPOY.

Reaction Score
She will be the best of all time in the end. So far she has a mediocre freshman season under her belt and a stellar sophomore season done. Her career arc will be meteoric.
Best of all time? She will be #3 to me behind Maya and D. Stewie has great hands and athleticism. She catches everything and converts some crazy hoops like the one yesterday with the pass from either Kia or Stef,can't remember which. She caught the pass in traffic and laid it in with two or three people all over her. It wowed me.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
As I said in TonyC's thread and applies here.

It is certainly Breanna's path and trajectory to be counted among the greatest and maybe the greatest but I think it is always a fool's errand to proclaim people the best or the greatest prematurely. None of us could have anticipated the realities of Bria season with the sprained ankle last year nor did we expect the problems besetting KML this year. A simple injury or two can chamge everything. How many made 3s will be lost to KML's career with the events of this year.

Once upon a time it was a foregone conclusion for many the Tiger would break Jack's record for majors now it looks a lot less likely.

Breanna has not even won her second national championship yet. Let's let her play and just enjoy the ride without unnecessary labels that cannot be fulfilled so early in a career.

There is all the promise in the world but fulfillment only comes with every game and every season that is completed.

Last edited:

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
IMO, she is the best colleger player I have seen. I am not saying that she is as dominating individually as Griner, but she is the most talented I have seen in the game.

Reaction Score
if she stays healthy, i think where she will have an edge over maya and diana is at the defensive end , and on the boards. in the end she may remind of bill russell in those areas. she can already score in as many ways, if not more, than anybody uconn has had. also, in watching her a few times last night i was amazed at how quickly she can get up and down the floor. i think she's a bit more athletic than people give her credit for.

RadyLady

The Glass is Half Full
Reaction Score
You know, it's interesting....
I was listening to the commentators last night - yes, I know, but they really weren't too bad, and didn't "over gush" like they usually do - kudos to them for keeping that in check - anyway, I was listening to them talk about a back to back championship this year just as we did with Maya Moore in 2010 -

in 2009 and 2010, Maya had Tina Charles playing with her, and it was with Charles that these two championships were won. The following year, Charles was gone and UConn lost to Notre Dame in the final four.

It kinda bothers me that Tina is not mentioned as an integral teammate to Maya in the back to back championships.

Tonyc

Optimus Prime
Reaction Score
NO I disagree. Im not talking putting up points. Im talking playing the game, and making plays. IMO she is at Diana and Maya's level and should only get better barring injuries. Lobos remark shes Diana at 6'4. I agree. She does not show much emotion but this season she is shining bright. Give credit where credit is due. Based on her performance this season we have not seen a player especially as a soph do what she has done on both sides of the ball. JMO

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LocalHits

Top Bottom