Stewie for NPOY??? | The Boneyard

Stewie for NPOY???

Status
Not open for further replies.

alexrgct

RIP, Alex
Reaction Score
AT this point. It's starting to feel that way, doesn't it? Doris Burke already called her the best and most talented player in the women's game by far. Breanna is carrying the team for stretches and delivering fantastic games. You "need to know" her. You want to know her and watch her, and she just delivered another masterpiece at MSG.

It may just be NPOY time for Breanna Stewart. That's a good thing, by the way.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
Let's see if I can misdirect this thread: If I'm A'ja Wilson I want to play with Breanna Stewart, the best player in WCBB, next year. Hope she was watching the game!! :)

HuskyFan1125

"Dont be the same, be better"
Reaction Score
Its early but I think its a 3 way race with Stewart, Ogwumike, and Sims.

I think conference play may separate those 3 out as to who has the better season.

alexrgct

RIP, Alex
Reaction Score
If I'm A'ja, I have an opportunity to make history by playing with the ridiculous pair of aces that is Stewie and Kaleena. Two years with Stewie would be especially valuable for a post looking to blossom into a great player.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
A'ja may not yet be the deep threat that Stewie has become, but she seems to have very similar abilities otherwise. They would make fabulous bookends.

To Alex's original point, I agree that it is a 3-player race. Stewie may put up lesser numbers because her team has more balance, but she looked a cut above today. Geno wants her to dominate for 40 minutes. But he didn't play her even 30 minutes today. :) She outscored Cal by herself.

I think Coach P called her the best player in the country. She's certainly the most versatile.

By the way, I ran into Stewie and her family on 8th Avenue after I had some post-game pizza. I told her she had a great game. She said thanks.

HuskyFan1125

"Dont be the same, be better"
Reaction Score
Interesting that you bring up A'ja.

I am watching the South Carolina/South Carolina St game right now and they are talking about how she could help put the Gamecocks at another level.

alexrgct

RIP, Alex
Reaction Score
RockyMTblue2 said:

With high praise from Geno, mentioning Stewie in the same breath as Maya, D, and Tina. Those are high stakes for sure, but Breanna to her credit already has one NC:

"I was just commenting on this recently," Auriemma said. "We've never had anybody like her, and we've had some of the greatest ever to play college basketball. But we've never had anybody like her. Maya Moore was unique. Diana Taurasi was unique. Tina Charles was unique.

"But I don't think we've ever had anybody with the God-given abilities that Breanna has. She is just somebody who because you can't describe her, what she does, it makes it impossible for everybody else to match up."

Zorro

Nuestro Zorro Amigo
Reaction Score
Interesting that you bring up A'ja.

I am watching the South Carolina/South Carolina St game right now and they are talking about how she could help put the Gamecocks at another level.
Another level, yup. UConn level, huh-uh.

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
Quote from Cal's coach Gottlieb on Stewie:

"I actually thought at halftime that we had done a pretty good job on everybody other than Stewart," Cal coach Lindsay Gottlieb said. "There is nothing Breanna Stewart can't do; I think every WNBA team would take her first in the draft if she was coming out this year. Seeing her up close was even more impressive than seeing her on film."

JoePgh

Cranky pants and wise acre
Reaction Score
This is all true, but let's bear in mind that she has not yet really demonstrated that she can be as consistent from one game to the next (or from one half to the next) as Maya, in particular. Odyssey and Chiney, as seniors, may have an advantage in that department. Her top-level performances are other-worldly, as was demonstrated today and in the Final Four last year, but she is prone to taking walkabouts every now and then (somewhat like Tina, who has not been prone to that in her pro career).

None of us were prone to up-and-down performance as college sophomores, were we?

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
I think Sims will probably get it on numbers (and the fact that she carries her team) by the end of the year. Depends how much Stewart dominates the floor, but in general, UCONN is too balanced.

Reaction Score
Its early but I think its a 3 way race with Stewart, Ogwumike, and Sims.

I think conference play may separate those 3 out as to who has the better season.
I'm throwing my two cents in to the girls you've mentioned. I have said and still say that Ogwumike is a phenomenal athlete but I don't feel her "skill" set is even close to the other two you mentioned. She's a jumping jack and always active (which is great) but I'd hate to see someone whose all around game isn't nearly complete to win that prestigious award. Sims right now might be the player that plays at a NPOY level continually. She's very athletic, very skilled and plays with intensity always. Stewie is no doubt the best of the three when she wants to be. You've heard it said by Geno on a number of shows and in interviews that she can be stubborn and often is resistant to doing things the "right" or best way because she's always done it her way and had success. If and when she decides to completely buy into the coaching staffs "way", I don't think there's any question that she would be the National Player of the Year, hands down. You're right, her talent is so out there but the thing holding her back is she sometimes is too nonchalant and is known to "take plays off". You'd never see Maya doing thing, ever and I would like my NPOY to do that ALWAYS! Until such time, I'd give it to Odessa Sims!

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
It is going to be an interesting vote at the end of the year. Sims is certainly putting up incredible numbers as is Chiney. And as seniors they may have a small advantage, but IF Stewart maintains her consistency throughout the season, then she might well win it because she is so unique. The team record also always helps.

Tonyc

Optimus Prime
Reaction Score
I don't see how she isn't. She is the only player in WCBB that can score when she has to and from anywhere. She is the most dominate player in WCBB. Lets make it easy if all the players in WCBB were to be drafted by the WNBA who wouldn't take Breanna first??????

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
I don't see how she isn't. She is the only player in WCBB that can score when she has to and from anywhere. She is the most dominate player in WCBB. Lets make it easy if all the players in WCBB were to be drafted by the WNBA who wouldn't take Breanna first??????
To answer your question, only someone with severe brain impairments for sure!

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
If I'm A'ja, I have an opportunity to make history by playing with the ridiculous pair of aces that is Stewie and Kaleena. Two years with Stewie would be especially valuable for a post looking to blossom into a great player.

Didn't work for Baylor with Sims and BG.

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
Stewart is the POY, in my opinion. The girl is SICK!! She would easily be the number 1 pick.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
This is all true, but let's bear in mind that she has not yet really demonstrated that she can be as consistent from one game to the next (or from one half to the next) as Maya, in particular. Odyssey and Chiney, as seniors, may have an advantage in that department. Her top-level performances are other-worldly, as was demonstrated today and in the Final Four last year, but she is prone to taking walkabouts every now and then (somewhat like Tina, who has not been prone to that in her pro career).

None of us were prone to up-and-down performance as college sophomores, were we?
Most were very consistent. Mostly butts down on the bench.

Reaction Score
Unlike the other 2 players Stewie impacts the game on the defensive end of the floor, not just coincidence teams blow easy layups, and UConn comes up with so many steals. UConn doesn't press as much as Kentucky, and Tennessee but the UConn press is more effective. Stewie unlike other players sometimes is in the backcourt, other times Geno has her at mid-court, not many 6-4 people can do that. Stewie many times has one of those, where did she come from blocks in a game, that makes opposing teams think before they shoot. BG was disruptive within the lane on defense, Stewie disrupts your offensive flow wherever she is on the floor, you have to be aware of her. Just as in the FF semi-final, she stole the ball at mid-court, and went in for a layup yesterday. She will get better, it will be fun to watch.

Tonyc

Optimus Prime
Reaction Score
As far as A'ja coming to UConn. Its a no brainer for most of us fans but for her its all about what she wants. At UConn you can have it all and at other schools you can be it all. A big difference. All in all it takes a total commitment to be great. You have to give up everything and focus on what you need to do and be to be great. Some people don't understand what it means to make a total commitment because they've neverr made a total commitment . The rewards at UConn are like no other. When you play for UConn you become somebody. Most fans cant name top players on top 10 teams but almost everybody knows who plays for UConn. So if you want to be a big fish in a little pond that's one choice but if you want the chance to be a whale in the ocean then that's UConn.

Reaction Score
As far as A'ja coming to UConn. Its a no brainer for most of us fans but for her its all about what she wants. At UConn you can have it all and at other schools you can be it all. A big difference. All in all it takes a total commitment to be great. You have to give up everything and focus on what you need to do and be to be great. Some people don't understand what it means to make a total commitment because they've neverr made a total commitment . The rewards at UConn are like no other. When you play for UConn you become somebody. Most fans cant name top players on top 10 teams but almost everybody knows who plays for UConn. So if you want to be a big fish in a little pond that's one choice but if you want the chance to be a whale in the ocean then that's UConn.
Tonyc, always love your posts, as Breanna said when she choose UConn, because Geno would make her the best player she could be. Geno has said before she played, I'll have to get used to her, and she'll have to get used to me. The best thing about Geno, and CD is they will not allow a player to cheat themselves in developing their talent.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vincent22

Top Bottom