Stewart must start. Now and forevermore. | The Boneyard

Stewart must start. Now and forevermore.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kibitzer

Sky Soldier
Reaction Score
I am convinced. Any reasonable reluctance by Geno to start freshmen (e.g., Diana and Maya) must be set aside in the instance of Breanna Stewart. With all their immense talent (possibly unequaled except by Catchings or Griner, and the operable word is possibly), neither Diana nor Maya brought the multiple and diverse package of size, skill and high-level competitive experience to UConn as has Breanna as a freshman. How good is she? In my judgment, Breanna is comparable to Secretariat in the Belmont Stakes race.

Aside from her potential 15-20 ppg, she can be disruptive as a defender, rebounder, ball-handler and shot blocker. There is no logic to having her adhere to some tradition of watching the first five minutes or so from the bench.

Similarly, Bria (when fully ready, probably about December or early January) must start. She is an All-American, a scorer, a leader, and a sparkplug.

Kaleena is IMO the best shooter in all of wcbb. We want/need her firepower on the court at opening tip-off and 30+ minutes thereafter.

Dolson must start because she is not only 6'5" but she is arguably the second best center in the land.

Faris is about 4 ppg shy of All-American status and the team's (and Big East's) most tenacious defender. She is also a senior and a keader, so she starts.

Doty seems to be back to her earlier level of play, which means that she brings smarts and skills to the back court --and she can still drill treys. And on a team of leaders, she is The One Who Leads Best By Example.

So my math is bad, I have named six starters, at least three of whom will eventually have their jerseys on the Gampel wall.

Assuming good health of all, I'll let Geno figure out which five answer the opening bell.

sarals24

Lone Starlet
Reaction Score
I don't care who starts. Any of the 10 could theoretically start (Ok, maybe not Buck) and we will still beat most teams by 20. Maya was an AA without starting for the majority of the year. Stewart will get tons of time regardless of who plays the first five minutes.

Reaction Score
I like the present starting line-up. Brianna just brings TOOOO many skills. When Bria comes back, I have no problem with her taking CD's place in the starting line-up. This is not a knock on CD. She will still get plenty of minutes and save her a little for the long season. This team is going to get a lot of open threes this year.

Reaction Score
There's little to be gained and quite a bit of team- first chemistry to be lost by engaging in a lobbying effort in favor of one player over another.

A demand to start player X is likewise demand to not start player Y is it not?

I don't think we profit much by going down that path.

Just say-n

Ozzie Nelson

RIP, Ozzie
Reaction Score
There's little to be gained and quite a bit of team- first chemistry to be lost by engaging in a lobbying effort in favor of one player over another.

Just say-n

Lighten up...Kibs is just being interesting.

sarals24

Lone Starlet
Reaction Score
The whole "Who Should Start" conversation is getting a bit old, though. Surely there are more important things to discuss!

Ozzie Nelson

RIP, Ozzie
Reaction Score
I enjoyed Kib's post, and I still find the topic of interest. So I post in the thread.

Reaction Score
I like the present starting line-up. Brianna just brings TOOOO many skills. When Bria comes back, I have no problem with her taking CD's place in the starting line-up. This is not a knock on CD. She will still get plenty of minutes and save her a little for the long season. This team is going to get a lot of open threes this year.

You might not have a problem sitting CD but Geno obvisouly has a problem with it and has said so. He doesn't want her warming up and then sitting down. Frnakly, I think Geno knows more about what's best for the team and the players and anyoene on the forum. Let him worry about who starts and who doesn't.

Reaction Score
Honestly, it doesn't matter who starts the game. Its the first 5 minutes and the players who matter will get sufficient playing time and make their impact. I think what is more important is what 5 players are on the floor to finish a close game. Thats what counts.

doggydaddy

Grampysorus Rex
Reaction Score
You might not have a problem sitting CD but Geno obvisouly has a problem with it and has said so. He doesn't want her warming up and then sitting down. Frnakly, I think Geno knows more about what's best for the team and the players and anyoene on the forum. Let him worry about who starts and who doesn't.

It's a fun topic. I don't see why you would want to have it squashed.

Geno said after bringing Doty off the bench in the 2nd preseason game that she seemed fine with that. I don't believe this is as big a reason as it was for not starting her.

diggerfoot

Humanity Hiker
Reaction Score
I think there are practical reasons why players like Charles and Doty start from the very beginning as freshmen (yes, Doty was one of the very few to start as a freshman). I think there are chemistry and/or experience reasons why Taurasi/Sales/Ralph/Moore/etc. don't start from the beginning. It's tough for fans to gauge what those chemistry/experience issues are. Had there never been any injury issues I would have doubted that Stewart started over anyone except perhaps KML. At this point I would not be either surprised or dismayed with any starting line-up Auriemma tosses out. It's all good, as long as the injury situation is resolved.

Kibitzer

Sky Soldier
Reaction Score

Just say-n

I scrupulously avoided lobbying any one player vs. another. I lobbied for all of the logical six contenders to highlight Geno's delicious dilemma in picking five. He has been dealt a royal flush hand. The bonus good news is that any and all of these six will give their all whether starting or coming off the bench and they are certain to play a lot of minutes.

Reaction Score
It is important who starts because the first five minutes may set the tone for the whole game. If Doty starts with Bria, Kelly,KML andStef it means that Kelly has to play the power forward where she is undersized. There was no choice last year. This year Breanna needs to start at the power forward and Caroline will have to come in off the bench. UConn is much stronger with Breanna and Stef upfront.

HGN

Reaction Score
This Team of 11 is so talented and unselfish from top-to-bottom that I believe they themselves don't really care who starts. They will root and cheer for the other.

Who starts really doesn't matter. All the players will get minutes and the whole team will get Wins. In the end, I think this Team is so unselfish that the Wins and a NC Trophy is all that will matter to them.

Reaction Score
Our best and most balanced starting 5 is Dolson, Bre, KML, KF and Bria. It's not about egos or fair, it's about waht the best team that can be put on the court to establish a UConn dominance from the very first minute of the game. I love CD but to ask Farris to guard a player 2-4 inches taller for 4-5 min. and than changing her roll completly for the rest of the game is not right either,

Reaction Score
I agree that Stewart should start, because she instantly relieves double teams on Stef.

Reaction Score
I agree that Stewart should start, because she instantly relieves double teams on Stef.
I agree, DriveLH. It also sets the tone for the game, defensively. If a player drives the lane and gets their shot swatted back, they will think about that every time they drive the lane. It also serves to balance out the substitution scheme, with Kiah and Morgan coming in to replace Stef and Breannna.

Reaction Score
The "it doesn't matter who starts, but who finishes the game" line is cute, but it's more myth than reality. These are 18 to 22-year-old kids, not professionals - these things probably matter more than you may think.

And there are a number of reasons, all of which have been pointed out, that starting Stewart makes more sense:
- Stewart being out there sets the tone right away, particularly on the defensive end.
- It's easier to manage Doty's minutes with her coming off the bench.
- Starting Stewart gives the bench far better guard/post balance.
...and I can go on and on.

My (and many other people's) opinion has nothing to do with Doty, and everything to do with Stewart being too good to keep out of the starting lineup. This isn't comparable to Mosqueda-Lewis' situation last year - KML was an instant-offense type of player (those tend to be ideal 6th man candidates), and UConn had quality veteran guards in Hayes, Faris and Doty that bringing her off the bench made sense.

But Stewart's value has to do with her incredible all-around ability. Like a Kevin Garnett, she literally can do anything on the basketball court. If I'm Geno, I simply don't want to wait five or so minutes for a player like that to enter the game.

Tonyc

Optimus Prime
Reaction Score
There are exceptions and Breanna is an exception. There is no player in WCBB like Breanna. Breanna can do everything on both sides of the ball and she does it at 6'4 and a wing span of 7'1. Opponets wont have an easy time shooting the 3 when Breanna is in the game. She is a game changer. Its tuff for opponets to go down low because Stef is there and Breanna is very quick to double down. Shes like SuperWomen. There is no player in WCBB like her and she can shoot the trey with consistency and accurracy. Yes she should start, because with Breanna on the floor gives UConn an distinct advantage and she makes everybody better because of the attention she will get.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
I have resolved the situation and propose the following solution. UConn puts 0, nada, no starters on the court allowing the opponent to win the jump and score immediately. At that point Geno calls time out and brings five players off the bench. No starters, problem solved. :D

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
I am convinced. Any reasonable reluctance by Geno to start freshmen (e.g., Diana and Maya) must be set aside in the instance of Breanna Stewart. With all their immense talent (possibly unequaled except by Catchings or Griner, and the operable word is possibly), neither Diana nor Maya brought the multiple and diverse package of size, skill and high-level competitive experience to UConn as has Breanna as a freshman. How good is she? In my judgment, Breanna is comparable to Secretariat in the Belmont Stakes race.

Aside from her potential 15-20 ppg, she can be disruptive as a defender, rebounder, ball-handler and shot blocker. There is no logic to having her adhere to some tradition of watching the first five minutes or so from the bench.

Similarly, Bria (when fully ready, probably about December or early January) must start. She is an All-American, a scorer, a leader, and a sparkplug.

Kaleena is IMO the best shooter in all of wcbb. We want/need her firepower on the court at opening tip-off and 30+ minutes thereafter.

Dolson must start because she is not only 6'5" but she is arguably the second best center in the land.

Faris is about 4 ppg shy of All-American status and the team's (and Big East's) most tenacious defender. She is also a senior and a keader, so she starts.

Doty seems to be back to her earlier level of play, which means that she brings smarts and skills to the back court --and she can still drill treys. And on a team of leaders, she is The One Who Leads Best By Example.

So my math is bad, I have named six starters, at least three of whom will eventually have their jerseys on the Gampel wall.

Assuming good health of all, I'll let Geno figure out which five answer the opening bell.
I like your post....BUT.....comparing a girl to a horse? ......not a good idea. :oops:

JRRRJ

Chief Didacticist
Reaction Score

Everyone keeps casting this decision as Caroline vs Brianna for a starting spot to strike fear in the hearts of the opponents. But, in addition to the value of not letting her knee cool off before bringing her in, Caroline's demeanor and skill make her someone I want in the start of the game to ensure that Uconn's heads are in the right place at the start of the game and they stay there.

So, you have other choices.

The team has done pretty damn well bringing Kaleena off the bench. Why is that horrible, other than (perhaps) only winning by an average of 18 points instead of 24? Why not give Bria a chance to watch the opponents in action for 4-5 minutes before she comes in? Or Kelly ditto?

Connecticut has a history of game-changers coming off the bench. I don't understand why that's an inconceivable option suddenly.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
Everyone keeps casting this decision as Caroline vs Brianna for a starting spot to strike fear in the hearts of the opponents. But, in addition to the value of not letting her knee cool off before bringing her in, Caroline's demeanor and skill make her someone I want in the start of the game to ensure that Uconn's heads are in the right place at the start of the game and they stay there.

So, you have other choices.

The team has done pretty damn well bringing Kaleena off the bench. Why is that horrible, other than (perhaps) only winning by an average of 18 points instead of 24? Why not give Bria a chance to watch the opponents in action for 4-5 minutes before she comes in? Or Kelly ditto?

I would say that would be because KML has been the player "on fyah!" coming out of the starting blocks the first two games.

Reaction Score
I scrupulously avoided lobbying any one player vs. another. I lobbied for all of the logical six contenders to highlight Geno's delicious dilemma in picking five. He has been dealt a royal flush hand. The bonus good news is that any and all of these six will give their all whether starting or coming off the bench and they are certain to play a lot of minutes.

Well, ok, I hear ya. However, what you're now saying kind of contradicts your OP where you basically say "give me Stewie or give me death."

In contrast, you now say "...any and all of these six will give their all whether starting or coming off the bench and they are certain to play a lot of minutes." If that is truly the case, and I think it is, then it would follow there's no really good reason to lobby for a starting role for a frosh player. Or, for that matter, for any one of the three frosh players who, between them, have started a game (counting exhibitions).

What we all have in common is the recognition the team has an embarrassment of riches.

It's all good

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak