Stewart must start. Now and forevermore. | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Stewart must start. Now and forevermore.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Well, ok, I hear ya. However, what you're now saying kind of contradicts your OP where you basically say "give me Stewie or give me death."

In contrast, you now say "...any and all of these six will give their all whether starting or coming off the bench and they are certain to play a lot of minutes.

Well....he is a kibitzer. That's what he does...he kibitzes.

pinotbear

Silly Ol' Bear
Reaction Score
I like your post....BUT.....comparing a girl to a horse? ......not a good idea. :oops:

Not A horse, meyers: Secretariat, in the Belmont stakes. We're talkin' equine divinity, here. "Like a rocket sled on rails!" If either of my daughters ever merited such company, I'd be incredibly flattered - and, so would they.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Not A horse, meyers: Secretariat, in the Belmont stakes. We're talkin' equine divinity, here. "Like a rocket sled on rails!" If either of my daughters ever merited such company, I'd be incredibly flattered - and, so would they.
I completely understand it's Secretariat (and I whole heartedly agree). But you are treading on dangerous ground. Women are not so understanding. ;)

Reaction Score
I happen to go for the traditional approach that we seem to have with certain exceptions. That is unless due to injuries or not having a suitable non FR at a position we don't start FR! I do not think Geno promises anyone we are recruiting that they are going to start from day one. Geno/CD have a philosophy and it works! It is not a secret that UCONN Basketball is not for everyone.

With Bria out he admits he has not been sure who was going to start beyond the three of Kelly,KLM, and Steph! He has made a logical case for going with CD and Stewie or with Mo and Tuck! This is a case where an injury impacts 2 positions! It makes sense to me.

LMAO I love Kibbitzer's Posts. He has a wonderful way of telling a story,making you laugh,making a point and not pissing anyone off. I agree with his premiss and conclusion. Given this "the tie goes to the runner";)
Ira

As for the reference to Secretariet and the banter further down re: "The Greatest of my time and all time " provided classic post Kibbitzer posts

As was stated in the movie " He is not a Horse! He is Secretariet"

Reaction Score
You might not have a problem sitting CD but Geno obvisouly has a problem with it and has said so. He doesn't want her warming up and then sitting down. Frnakly, I think Geno knows more about what's best for the team and the players and anyoene on the forum. Let him worry about who starts and who doesn't.
That's what the man said isn't it?

Reaction Score
At the end of the year, I'd like to see everyone on the team have the same number of starts - just for the uniqueness of it.

Reaction Score
Can we please let Geno worry about this. People commenting on this is annoying. Which of the starters do you want to sit to start Beanna? Can you sit KML? Dolson? Hartly? NO. So that leaves Doty and Faris. Faris should be the Lionheart... she is more than what you think she is, you look at that stat sheet at the end of the game and you realize what an impact she has. She is silent, yet effective. Doty starting because we do not know how long she can go... and because she has earned the spot...... how do you take it away from her? Stewart can be the 6th man of the year in the Big East. Like KLM before her, and Maya, and Diana... etc.

If Geno wants to start a freshman he will. I believe, but could be mistaken.... he started either Sue Bird or Kristen Walters as a freshman.. and then I want to say Ann Strother and possible Barbara Turner as freshman....

Geno is paid big bucks because he knows what he is doing. Lets stop trying to do his job and posting multiple threads about who should start. It is kind of insulting to the players on the team that would would then want to have one start over the other...

Reaction Score
Can we please let Geno worry about this. People commenting on this is annoying. Which of the starters do you want to sit to start Beanna? Can you sit KML? Dolson? Hartly? NO. So that leaves Doty and Faris. Faris should be the Lionheart... she is more than what you think she is, you look at that stat sheet at the end of the game and you realize what an impact she has. She is silent, yet effective. Doty starting because we do not know how long she can go... and because she has earned the spot...... how do you take it away from her? Stewart can be the 6th man of the year in the Big East. Like KLM before her, and Maya, and Diana... etc.

If Geno wants to start a freshman he will. I believe, but could be mistaken.... he started either Sue Bird or Kristen Walters as a freshman.. and then I want to say Ann Strother and possible Barbara Turner as freshman....

Geno is paid big bucks because he knows what he is doing. Lets stop trying to do his job and posting multiple threads about who should start. It is kind of insulting to the players on the team that would would then want to have one start over the other...

I believe Gino reads the posts of the boneheads and idiots of the boneyard, or else how would he know we are boneheads and idiots? I therefore conclude, since he is obviously reading the posts, his decisions are based on the collective wisdom of the boneyard. :rolleyes:

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
I disagree that it doesn't matter who starts the first and second half. I think the first five minutes of each half are when the personality of the game is set. If you jump on a team and break their spirit early that is a huge accomplishment. I think it's much more important to have your best players on the floor at that time. It also takes a player a few minutes to get a feel of the game and the tempo. If you put a player in at the 15:00 mark it may well be the 12:00 or 10:00 mark before they start to have an impact.

Just my opinion.

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
It is important who starts because the first five minutes may set the tone for the whole game. If Doty starts with Bria, Kelly,KML andStef it means that Kelly has to play the power forward where she is undersized. There was no choice last year. This year Breanna needs to start at the power forward and Caroline will have to come in off the bench. UConn is much stronger with Breanna and Stef upfront.

I should have read your post before I made mine and I could have saved myself a lot of keystrokes. I agree completely...the first 5 minutes of each half are vital.

Reaction Score
I remember a NC game where Uconn had 5 points in the first half and came away with the trophy. First five minutes of that game did not seem too important. Good teams do not panic after five minutes. The game is 40 minutes, and points are counted the same for each one of those minutes. All that matters is the final score. The coaches need to create a game plan (and they do) and adjust it as the game plays out (and they do). Who starts and who doesn't is based on that plan and starters may change based on the strategy for a particular opponent.

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
I remember a NC game where Uconn had 5 points in the first half and came away with the trophy. First five minutes of that game did not seem too important. Good teams do not panic after five minutes. The game is 40 minutes, and points are counted the same for each one of those minutes. All that matters is the final score. The coaches need to create a game plan (and they do) and adjust it as the game plays out (and they do). Who starts and who doesn't is based on that plan and starters may change based on the opposition.

UConn had a NC game in which they only scored 5 points in the first half?

sarals24

Lone Starlet
Reaction Score
If you're talking about Stanford in 2010, it was 20 to 12 in the first half. Uconn scored 41 points in the 2nd to win.

Reaction Score
If you're talking about Stanford in 2010, it was 20 to 12 in the first half. Uconn scored 41 points in the 2nd to win.
Your right, I probably turned it off after the first five Uconn points, devastated.

Reaction Score
Your right, I probably turned it off after the first five Uconn points, devastated.

I went to bed at half time with the score 20 to 12, what a mistake! Found out the next day that UCONN had come back in the second half and won the National Championship. I will never doubt the UCONN Women again.

Ozzie Nelson

RIP, Ozzie
Reaction Score

You find comments annoying and then you comment!!!

alexrgct

RIP, Alex
Reaction Score
You find comments annoying and then you comment!!!
Not to mention that the thread was clearly on this topic and was thus avoidable. It's not like it was a thread entitled "Favorite lasagna recipes" that trailed off into a discussion about who should start.

Reaction Score
I believe Gino reads the posts of the boneheads and idiots of the boneyard, or else how would he know we are boneheads and idiots? I therefore conclude, since he is obviously reading the posts, his decisions are based on the collective wisdom of the boneyard. :rolleyes:
It is true. A second-cousin of mine works with a woman who's aunt knows somebody who lives next-door to Geno's lawn maintenance guy who said Geno confirmed his Boneyard participation to a co worker of his.

Blakeon18

Dormie
Reaction Score
My two cents: There seems to be an unwritten coaching 101 rule that whoever starts must also start the second half.
My sense is that those first minutes of the game...and the first minutes of the second half are kinda important...especially against elite teams. The view expressed that the final 5 are more important may be true....then again it is perfectly reasonable to have some kid play the first 5 in each half and the last 5 of the game....one situation doesn't preclude the other.

If it is really important for CD The Younger not to have to warm up and then cool off by sitting the first few minutes of the game, that would seem to suggest she start and then when once removed never to return again because she would obviously be cooling off when on the bench. She will be entering and leaving the game on multiple occasions...cooling off each time she leaves...correct?

Ozzie Nelson

RIP, Ozzie
Reaction Score
It is true. A second-cousin of mine works with a woman who's aunt knows somebody who lives next-door to Geno's lawn maintenance guy who said Geno confirmed his Boneyard participation to a co worker of his.

Post of The Day

pinotbear

Silly Ol' Bear
Reaction Score
Not to mention that the thread was clearly on this topic and was thus avoidable. It's not like it was a thread entitled "Favorite lasagna recipes" that trailed off into a discussion about who should start.

Lasagna? I love lasagna! That would be a great thread. We could argue about whether you open the meal with antipasto, or garlic bread, or do you bring the tossed salad out five minutes into the meal. Me, I'd start the salad.:D

Ozzie Nelson

RIP, Ozzie
Reaction Score
Lasagna? I love lasagna! That would be a great thread. We could argue about whether you open the meal with antipasto, or garlic bread, or do you bring the tossed salad out five minutes into the meal. Me, I'd start the salad.:D

I find that comparing Italian dishes is more than annoying…lettuce squash this thread before it starts.

Reaction Score
I find that comparing Italian dishes is more than annoying…lettuce squash this thread before it starts.
Mmmmm, squash! Acorn, butternut, hubbard, zucchini - what's your favorite?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom