Steven Enoch | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Steven Enoch

Reaction Score
Not affiliated with the program obviously, but clearly caught someone's eye at UVA

Reaction Score
I really hope he doesn't end up at uva...he would blow up our pack line d

Also he'd immediately be 3rd C on the depth chart behind Salt and Diakite. And we've got another 6'11" top 100 freshman who redshirted. He couldn't find time in our non-existent front court, he's definitely not cracking the rotation at uva

Reaction Score
Virginia is just about literally the last place I would have expected him to end up. They're right there in front of the Warriors.

As for his future development, that won't reveal any intrinsic truth about how he was coached here at UConn. A world certainly exists where it just didn't work out here - if it starts to become a pattern where players are leaving here and succeeding elsewhere, then fine. But if he turns out to be a decent player and we're winning anyway with the players we've got, I don't think anybody should complain. Incidentally, of all the big men shortcomings we've had in recent years (and I do think it has been overstated), Enoch is not the one I would pin on the staff. To me, Facey and Brimah, for different reasons, never won as many games here as they should have.

Reaction Score
Virginia is just about literally the last place I would have expected him to end up. They're right there in front of the Warriors.

As for his future development, that won't reveal any intrinsic truth about how he was coached here at UConn. A world certainly exists where it just didn't work out here - if it starts to become a pattern where players are leaving here and succeeding elsewhere, then fine. But if he turns out to be a decent player and we're winning anyway with the players we've got, I don't think anybody should complain. Incidentally, of all the big men shortcomings we've had in recent years (and I do think it has been overstated), Enoch is not the one I would pin on the staff. To me, Facey and Brimah, for different reasons, never won as many games here as they should have.

You know I love to disagree with you so here we go (kidding but will again anyway). The kid was lost on D, just like the others. They teach you to hedge, they teach you help defense no one can honestly believe they don't. You run through it day to day, they stop play and tell them what they did wrong in practice, they have the education to do it in games. Steve was no different than AB and Facey, just didn't understand the concept of big men playing defense then add to that he was slow afoot, he was awful on that end. He did show signs of beginning to grasp the concept but was still too slow in reaction time. You can drill it into their heads, if they don't get it they don't get it. Hope we recruit some kids who get it, coaching becomes much easier.

He can't play at Virginia unless Bennett suddenly cares about offense, never happen. Maybe a year practicing with a coach who cares more about defense will help him but I just think it's something he will never be very good at, I was afraid of that here of he stayed. Would be an awful choice and would just show you how good they think they are.

BaZZnBOAT

ONIONS!
Reaction Score
Enoch and Virginia would go together like jelly and ketchup.

Reaction Score
You know I love to disagree with you so here we go (kidding but will again anyway). The kid was lost on D, just like the others. They teach you to hedge, they teach you help defense no one can honestly believe they don't. You run through it day to day, they stop play and tell them what they did wrong in practice, they have the education to do it in games. Steve was no different than AB and Facey, just didn't understand the concept of big men playing defense then add to that he was slow afoot, he was awful on that end. He did show signs of beginning to grasp the concept but was still too slow in reaction time. You can drill it into their heads, if they don't get it they don't get it. Hope we recruit some kids who get it, coaching becomes much easier.

He can't play at Virginia unless Bennett suddenly cares about offense, never happen. Maybe a year practicing with a coach who cares more about defense will help him but I just think it's something he will never be very good at, I was afraid of that here of he stayed. Would be an awful choice and would just show you how good they think they are.

Wait, so what are you disagreeing with?

Reaction Score
Its a shame Enoch left. I agree he under performed and the effort wasn't there on defense. But to see this guy up close on the floor he looked like he should have been the most dominate guy on the court. Would have liked to see what this kid could have been as a Junior/Senior. Most big men come in so physically undersized, Enoch at least looked like the real deal. I hope he does well wherever he ends up.

Reaction Score
Head coach and assistant coach for Northeastern are on campus right now. Wonder who they're scouting..

Doctor Hoop

Prescribing Hardwood Excellence
Reaction Score
I have to disagree with you fleudy and this is why...:oops:
I have a very restrictive emoji vocabulary. Pretty much limited to :),;),:( and Head bang Not too sure on most of the others, and worried I could get either in a fight or banned for a serious emoji faux pas.;)

Is there some kind of training I could do?;)

Reaction Score
I have a very restrictive emoji vocabulary. Pretty much limited to :),;),:( and Head bang Not too sure on most of the others, and worried I could get either in a fight or banned for a serious emoji faux pas.;)

fleudy has been named the Head Emoji Trainer of the Boneyard. Please send him a note stating you want to learn how not to be mau, and get into s**tstorms.:eek:

C

Chief00

I am in the minority on this but I wouldn't be shocked if Steve turns into a very solid player. We can bash every Big or we can just concede as the leadership did that our Bigs coaching was inadequate to be kind.

Please I don't want to be responded to with statistics - I am not praising his play last season - just as a seasoned observer I see some ability there.

Reaction Score
I am in the minority on this but I wouldn't be shocked if Steve turns into a very solid player. We can bash every Big or we can just concede as the leadership did that our Bigs coaching was inadequate to be kind.

Please I don't want to be responded to with statistics - I am not praising his play last season - just as a seasoned observer I see some ability there.

I wouldn't be either, but I doubt he will be a great defender ever and in the UVA system you need to be that. Hope he does well just think he would do himself more justice with a Northeastern, Iona or alike.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
fleudy has been named the Head Emoji Trainer of the Boneyard. Please send him a note stating you want to learn how not to be mau, and get into s**tstorms.:eek:

Somebody needs to get some more emojis in the tank. There's like 5 emotions, and it's missing all the good ones.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
I'm curious, why does everyone seem to be so impressed with Steve's offense? I mean, he's got a nice touch I guess, but his positioning, for both rebounds and posting up, etc wasn't great.

At this stage, Steve seems like a combine warrior to me. Impressive physical characteristics, nice jump shot and form when no defense present...but when you put him in with other players in game action, he's not much to look at.

UCweCONN

Former Poster
Reaction Score

What about the poop emoji? Can't go wrong with that one. I wish it was an option on this site. I'd use it as a basic response to many posters' posts.

Reaction Score
I'm curious, why does everyone seem to be so impressed with Steve's offense? I mean, he's got a nice touch I guess, but his positioning, for both rebounds and posting up, etc wasn't great.

At this stage, Steve seems like a combine warrior to me. Impressive physical characteristics, nice jump shot and form when no defense present...but when you put him in with other players in game action, he's not much to look at.

The part you underlined answers the question. He is still very young with a lot of room for development to be added to the unteachable skills he already has.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJasmer

Top Bottom