Steve Ballmer to buy the Clips for $2 Billion | The Boneyard

Steve Ballmer to buy the Clips for $2 Billion

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Well he would need permission from the league to move the team in any case...i'm sure somewhere in the back of his mind is moving them to Seattle but i think for the foreseeable decade or two they stay in LA because they're making money.

Reaction Score
Well he would need permission from the league to move the team in any case...i'm sure somewhere in the back of his mind is moving them to Seattle but i think for the foreseeable decade or two they stay in LA because they're making money.
I think he would get league permission for the move if he could get it, ie. if its not written into the deal that the Clips have to stay put. I gotta wonder what the Clips will draw once the Lakers get their back together though? Ballmer's got money to burn. I am happy the Bucks are staying put, but Sacramento on the other hand is/has been a $hitshow w/ their whole scenario.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
A billionaire from Seattle buys the Clippers and rolls into town with a plan to move the team to Seattle as soon as he can work over the NBA for approval and Seattle for a sweetheart deal on the arena. That dream lasts until he spends one long weekend in LA as a locally famous billionaire. Fast forward 20 years and he is still sitting in the Staples Center surrounded by T&A 50 years his junior wondering what the hell he ever saw in Seattle in the first place.

Reaction Score
Well the funny thing is that even teams in the red end up making a lot of money just because the rate at which the value of a franchise grows is astounding as is evident by the 2b dollar mark for the clippers. So in the end if it's in the best interest of the NBA as a whole for whatever reason for the clippers to stay in LA they will stay there permanently, as you point out though things may change in the future. Honestly though the LA area is more than big enough for two teams to flourish.

Reaction Score
Every other owner is smiling right now and quietly thanking Donald Sterling for being the ultimate they always knew him to be. Their franchises have now probably doubled in value thanks to a small tape recorder.

jleves

Awesomeness
Reaction Score
Well the funny thing is that even teams in the red end up making a lot of money just because the rate at which the value of a franchise grows is astounding as is evident by the 2b dollar mark for the clippers. So in the end if it's in the best interest of the NBA as a whole for whatever reason for the clippers to stay in LA they will stay there permanently, as you point out though things may change in the future. Honestly though the LA area is more than big enough for two teams to flourish.
Yet we can't get a freakin NFL franchise. HTF there isn't an NFL team in LA is mind boggling.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
You don't buy something for $2B and then move it from LA to Seattle.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
Big kudos to Nelson, who managed to miss the purchase price by nearly one and a half billion dollars.

You really called it at $2 bn. Oh wait, you didn't. You are just being a again.

When you call something, you get to talk smack.

Reaction Score
Too bad for Oprah and Magic who though they could get in on the cheap to buy the team.
Two BILLION freaking dollars. Sterling wins big time.

Oprah's group bid a billion five, genius. Great to hear from the sole member of the Donald Sterling fan club.

Reaction Score
You don't buy something for $2B and then move it from LA to Seattle.
You can intelligently speculate what a $25 billion man does? All I know is he's absurdly wealthy, from Seattle, has been looking to build an indoor arena in town for awhile, and heavily lobbied for the Sonics to stay. Oh yeah, and now owns an NBA franchise, the purchase of which just made every other franchise owner sprout Space Needle wood.

Reaction Score
You can intelligently speculate what a $25 billion man does? All I know is he's absurdly wealthy, from Seattle, has been looking to build an indoor arena in town for awhile, and heavily lobbied for the Sonics to stay. Oh yeah, and now owns an NBA franchise, the purchase of which just made every other franchise owner sprout Space Needle wood.

(a) he's on record as saying he's not going to move the team. take that for what it's worth.

(b) he needs the approval of the other owners, who are apparently going to condition approval on an agreement not to re-locate the team.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
You can intelligently speculate what a $25 billion man does?

Actually, yes.

"If I get interested in the Clippers, it would be for Los Angeles. I don't work anymore, so I have more geographic flexibility than I did a year, year-and-a half ago. Moving them anywhere else would be value destructive."

Again, you don't pay $2B for something and then move it from LA to Seattle.

Reaction Score
Every other owner is smiling right now and quietly thanking Donald Sterling for being the ultimate they always knew him to be. Their franchises have now probably doubled in value thanks to a small tape recorder.
Sterling, using calculated risk, did everything on purpose in order to raise the franchise value to where it is now. From a 13 mil purchase a few decades ago, up to 2 bil is quite a leap. The way the events happened - the tape, the woman (his accessory), the impending divorce from his wife all came together like a novel with a plot. Wow, Sterling is a genius and it made the new NBA president receive his crowning moment, too. What an entertaining theater this is. Magic Johnson and Oprah did not get a ghost of a chance. Sterling made sure that the CNN interviews would categorically rule out Magic as owner by repeatedly invoking the AIDS issue. This Sterling dude is really crafty.

Reaction Score
Sterling, using calculated risk, did everything on purpose in order to raise the franchise value to where it is now. From a 13 mil purchase a few decades ago, up to 2 bil is quite a leap. The way the events happened - the tape, the woman (his accessory), the impending divorce from his wife all came together like a novel with a plot. Wow, Sterling is a genius and it made the new NBA president receive his crowning moment, too. What an entertaining the lawer this is. Magic Johnson and Oprah did not get a ghost of a chance. Sterling made sure that the CNN interviews would categorically rule out Magic as owner by repeatedly invoking the AIDS issue. This Sterling dude is really crafty.
PacificStorm, that must be an insanely potent strain of weed.

pepband99

Resident TV nerd
Reaction Score
You really called it at $2 bn. Oh wait, you didn't. You are just being a again.

When you call something, you get to talk smack.

Believe the saying is: "Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt."

His point is - you're wrong. Again.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
Why would anyone want to move the clippers to Seattle? Previous owners
PacificStorm, that must be an insanely potent strain of weed.

But it's funny. And the underlying point remains. Donald Sterling is a big winner in this. I wonder if he even gives a flying f-k about the racist thing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taliekluv32

Top Bottom