Sterling Gibbs Enjoys Ohio State Visit, Decision Expected Soon | Page 6 | The Boneyard

Sterling Gibbs Enjoys Ohio State Visit, Decision Expected Soon

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
As I said in the Diarra thread, I fully expect Gibbs to be a Husky. I would be shocked otherwise.

Same here. Everything else has lined up with what I'd heard so far. It would have to be the most ridiculous and tragic coincidence of all-time otherwise.

Reaction Score
The only point I was trying to make.:rolleyes:

I miss the Old Big East.

For those of you who feel like our tv exposure today is great, and would sway a recruit, then I don't know what else to say.

Yes the BE was beast. But we get exposure. If this were football it would be different.

Reaction Score
Same here. Everything else has lined up with what I'd heard so far. It would have to be the most ridiculous and tragic coincidence of all-time otherwise.

So the visits to other schools didn't surprise you? That's good.

Reaction Score
And then it would be rubbed in our faces with UConn playing Ohio State this year.

Reaction Score
I'd be driving my car off a cliff long before then, so I'm not too concerned about that.
Count me in.
image.jpg

Reaction Score
Keep on moving those goalposts.

It's not goalposts, it's reality.

Posters here were saying that a recruit would get better tv exposure coming to UConn than going to a power 5 school. I called BS. Wouldn't you?

Reaction Score

Posters here were saying that a recruit would get better tv exposure coming to UConn than going to a power 5 school. I called BS. Wouldn't you?

As has been explained to you, not all P5 schools are equal. The fact is that UConn is on TV as much as almost anyone, certainly more than any mid-level or lower P5 school. UConn is also a national brand, meaning that, if they're good (which they will be next year), the pundits will be talking about them.

Reaction Score
Yes the BE was beast. But we get exposure. If this were football it would be different.

Not the same an ACC basketball or B1G basketball school do. Not like the Old Big East basketball did.

Curiouser
Reaction Score

No, it's not reality. There are actual facts directly contrary to what you believe. They have been posted repeatedly and you still insist on believing otherwise.

It depends on the sport and the school, but for now, for basketball, for UConn--TV exposure is not a problem.

Reaction Score

It very much depends which school you are talking about in the P5, because it's not even close to universally true.

And part of the reason it's not is because UConn does play a majority of its games on high visibility slots by being the big fish in a smaller pond. It's not the best situation they could be in, but it's far from dire, and it's not even close to being "most games played on SNY."

Reaction Score
No, it's not reality. There are actual facts directly contrary to what you believe. They have been posted repeatedly and you still insist on believing otherwise.

It depends on the sport and the school, but for now, for basketball, for UConn--TV exposure is not a problem.

Compared to all the other blue bloods, and Ohio State, it is. Rather have their tv exposure wouldn't you?

You mean to tell me that UConn hasn't taken a major step back in tv exposure being in the AAC? I don't know about you, but I remember when we were on Big Monday regularly. We aren't anymore. We aren't on Super Tuesday, either (never were). Are you saying that a recruit whom wants tv exposure would prefer secondary AAC vs primetime power 5 coverage?

The AAC is a major problem for us. In recruiting, it's a major hurdle. To a recruit looking for tv exposure, Ohio State looks better than UConn.

Look, I want this kid more than anything (assuming he fits in), but we don't know what's going on in his head, and if he chooses a power 5 school over us, because he wants better tv exposure, than so be it. And it is not a failure on KO's part if we don't land him.

Reaction Score
It very much depends which school you are talking about in the P5, because it's not even close to universally true.

And part of the reason it's not is because UConn does play a majority of its games on high visibility slots by being the big fish in a smaller pond. It's not the best situation they could be in, but it's far from dire, and it's not even close to being "most games played on SNY."

It is horrible and it is dire for the program moving forward.

Reaction Score
Compared to all the other blue bloods, and Ohio State, it is. Rather have their tv exposure wouldn't you?

You mean to tell me that UConn hasn't taken a major step back in tv exposure being in the AAC? I don't know about you, but I remember when we were on Big Monday regularly. We aren't anymore. We aren't on Super Tuesday, either (never were). Are you saying that a recruit whom wants tv exposure would prefer secondary AAC vs primetime power 5 coverage?

The AAC is a major problem for us. In recruiting, it's a major hurdle. To a recruit looking for tv exposure, Ohio State looks better than UConn.

Look, I want this kid more than anything (assuming he fits in), but we don't know what's going on in his head, and if he chooses a power 5 school over us, because he wants better tv exposure, than so be it. And it is not a failure on KO's part if we don't land him.
You are in the dark.

Stainmaster

Occasionally Constructive
Reaction Score

You never said "blue bloods"...you said "P5".

UConnSwag11

Storrs, CT The Mecca
Reaction Score
Not the same an ACC basketball or B1G basketball school do. Not like the Old Big East basketball did.
the only reason why they might get more exposure is because of big monday(which the old big east was) or super tuesday, that's it... other than that we get the same if not more... a decent amount of kentuckys games were on the sec network... if our exposure is the same as last year or increases to more games on espn or espn 2 then we're golden... louisville, unc, duke, kentucky, maybe cuse, wisconsin, were on espn or cbs as much as us or a tad bit more... tv exposure doesnt mean much anymore to recruits as long as they get to the nba, and with ollies connections it has to be considered at more than televised games

Reaction Score
If you are a recruit, and want tv exposure, do you go to an AAC school or do you go to a Power 5 school?

If you're basketball player who wants exposure do you go to a school who hasn't won anything since Hondo Havlicek or to the school who has won 4 0f the last 16?

pnow15

Previously pnete
Reaction Score
I'll say this again. IF, and that's a big "if", Sterling ends up going elsewhere other than UConn, then I think a safe assertion is that someone threatened alerting the NCAA if he followed through to Storrs due to tampering. UConn fans have been blabbering on message boards for a couple months now how he had interest in UConn even before the season was over, so if random people on the web know, I'm sure more connected individuals in the game caught wind. I'd say most likely it was someone at Seton Hall or one of the schools recruiting hard for him. We all know being a rat is totally ok if it means it helps you or hurts your rival in some way.

Yes, internet message boards are always the best places to hunt down conspiracies about just about everything and anything.
Do you know that Ralph Nader once published a pamphlet about Jessica Alba entitled, "Unsafe at any speed."

Reaction Score
I often wonder how many cbb sites have fans that give reasons why a recruit should not choose their school and relentlessly argue the point.

We are in the AAC. That's it. Whining won't change it. I don't believe it permanent but I know that it won't change by continually harping. The University s athletic department is aware of our concerns by now. As far as I'm concern the AAC will be good as long as we're members. A rising tide lifts all boats. We're UCONN dammit. Now let's put some lipstick on this pig!

BUConn10

Artist formerly known as BUHusky10
Reaction Score
Yes, internet message boards are always the best places to hunt down conspiracies about just about everything and anything.
Do you know that Ralph Nader once published a pamphlet about Jessica Alba entitled, "Unsafe at any speed."
What? I believe you are attempting to communicate but I may be mistaken.

It's not a conspiracy theory, its not even that far fetched for it to be labeled so. The guy and his father have been in contact with KO for months now, even members on this board know that, and the Seton Hall coach publicly stated back in february that coaches "must wait until the season is over to contact him, if they dont, we will block his transfer there". All I'm saying is its likely he was told by someone at either UConn or SH to slow things down. You think its just a coincidence that several major outlets reported him committing to UConn then all of a sudden him saying I havent decided yet. A source to one of the reporters probably caught wind of his intentions but jumped the gun on forwarding it to these guys.

His father's recent comments where he clearly lies about him and Sterling never having visited the UConn campus provide another bit of evidence to support this possibility. I dont even know why I wasted time typing this up seeing as if you simply open you're eyes, several others have made this possible connection based on his fathers recent comments.

tl;dr piss off pnow

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01