Stephon Castle & Tristen Newton | Page 5 | The Boneyard

Stephon Castle & Tristen Newton

Reaction Score
I wouldn't expect too many more 40 points games (he is having to dominate scoring so far because 2 other starters (both D1 players; one is his cousin Jakai Newton who is going to Indiana) are out with injuries and so the rest of the players around him are a bit young and raw. I'd expect his ppg to move down but his apg and other factors to move up. Bottom line, his all around game is going to show beautifully.

Reaction Score
@CTFAN4LIFE I assume you purposely made the perfect choice of word to confuse the meaning of your post. I'll bite. What does 'raw' mean in your world?
I was having a bit of fun given the previous raw banter but with these guys they're "unrefined".

Reaction Score
Given the versatility of the word raw, I nominate 'the Raw Dogs' as our teams unofficial nickname this year.

It can even be a verb. Imagine the joy of hearing John Fanta saying 'Providence is getting Raw Dogged' after a thunderous dunk by Clingan.

Reaction Score
Given the versatility of the word raw, I nominate 'the Raw Dogs' as our teams unofficial nickname this year.

It can even be a verb. Imagine the joy of hearing John Fanta saying 'Providence is getting Raw Dogged' after a thunderous dunk by Clingan.

I'm not sure why but Fanta saying that worries me!:oops:

Reaction Score
tcf grid page says both Newton and Alleyne have another year of eligibility due to Covid. Joey C is exercising his this year.
That took a lot of guts for Calcaterra to choose UConn for his final year of eligibility. I would enjoy hearing what was going through his mind. This had to be one of the most difficult options.

Reaction Score
20221206_211658.jpg
Stephon scored his 1000th point tonight, I happened to be at the game and got the opportunity to meet him.

Reaction Score
Kimani was a big part of Castle’s recruitment. With him having a solid chance to be a head coach somewhere next season, if the right opportunity opens up, it’s nice to Stephon and his family so locked in to UConn.

Reaction Score
Newton lost against Norcross tonight, but Stephon had 28 points, 11 rebounds and 6 assists

Reaction Score
Figured I'd throw it here since the last thread got buried a bit...

This game Castle came back down to earth shooting the ball. Managed to get it done with toughness at the rim and drawing fouls. Really advanced working around the rim--much better than a year ago. Footwork is creative and he's strong vs smaller guards. Shot was off tonight. His defense was still pretty terrible. His team lost in OT, and I don't think it would have been close in regulation if he put in the effort on defense. Turning the ball over when he's dribbling is a problem. Great passer (no TOs passing that I recall in either game). I think he could easily be a 12/4/3 kind of player next year and go in the lottery. I expected him to struggle shooting it a bit and take some time to learn his new role. Defense will come around by January is Hurley has anything to say about it.

28 PTS
10 REB (2 off)
5 AST (8 potential)

4 TO
STL
1 BLK

7/10 2FG
1/8 3FG
11/16 FT
  • Defended a 1v1 post-up very well early in the 1st quarter.
  • Missed his first pull-up 3, but was in rhythm and just slightly back rimmed it. Not a bad miss
  • Too many multi-dribble pull-up 2s. It is just bad basketball.
  • NBA frame. Easily could end up 6’6 215 and plying PG.
  • Too upright on defense, plays with his hands almost exclusively. Bad fundamentals. Like I said before… his defense is incredibly bad. But that’s true for a lot of kids coming out of high school–I’m not really concerned. Hurley can coach anyone up on defense. It was true for most of the kids on our team. Pretty much everyone but Hawkins was bad at D in high school. Andre was terrible in high school at defense, for example.
  • Drive and kick ability is an NBA-level skill IMO
  • Like his ability to draw fouls. Very NEwton-esque. Plays STRONG going to the rim. He’s a bully, but has finesse too.
  • Not in love with the amount of iso he plays, but that’s more on the coach than anything.
  • He looks SO GOOD in situations where the offense has ccutters, movement, etc. His vision and awareness are 10/10.
  • 1:38 in the first quarter… stupidly smooth spin move in the lane. It seems like the kid has added another move to his bag every game I see him.
  • Worth mentioning that Norcross is NOT a bad team. At least a few D1 players on this squad.
  • Still not thrilled with these TOs while he’s dribbling.
  • Great hit ahead passer
  • These announcers are 50x better than any college announcer I’ve heard all season.
  • He makes some really, really tough jumpers.
  • Very natural and smooth upper body when he shoots. 1-2 step is solid footwork dribbling with right hand especially.. Haven’t ever seen him catching off a hop-step or anything.
  • He is pretty good at drawing fouls when he’s facing pressure. Has that James Harden arm rake thing in his bag.
  • Honestly, if he plays better defense, this is a 10 point win for his team.
  • He’s one of those players (like Karaban) who have a knack for feeding the post–being able to drop the ball at a steep angle over a defendres hands it tough.
  • He might just be elite finishing at the rim. And that was not a strength 12 months ago. He wouldn’t have missed a single 2 point shot this entire game except for the crappy multi-dribble long 2s. Went ⅓ on those. The two spin moves were NBA moves. NBA start moves.
  • No TOs passing the ball–all dribbling.
  • Game back down to earth this game shooting the rock.
  • Trying to do WAY too much in the end of regulation and early OT. Bad shot and TO on back-to-back possessions.
  • Free throw shooting was disappointing tonight.
  • AWFUL shot to try to win it in OT. Disappointing.

Reaction Score
Castle looks like he could start for our team now, offensively. Great rotation on his shots, midrange, drives, everything. Yikes.

dennismenace

ONE MORE CAST
Reaction Score
Figured I'd throw it here since the last thread got buried a bit...

This game Castle came back down to earth shooting the ball. Managed to get it done with toughness at the rim and drawing fouls. Really advanced working around the rim--much better than a year ago. Footwork is creative and he's strong vs smaller guards. Shot was off tonight. His defense was still pretty terrible. His team lost in OT, and I don't think it would have been close in regulation if he put in the effort on defense. Turning the ball over when he's dribbling is a problem. Great passer (no TOs passing that I recall in either game). I think he could easily be a 12/4/3 kind of player next year and go in the lottery. I expected him to struggle shooting it a bit and take some time to learn his new role. Defense will come around by January is Hurley has anything to say about it.

28 PTS
10 REB (2 off)
5 AST (8 potential)

4 TO
STL
1 BLK

7/10 2FG
1/8 3FG
11/16 FT
  • Defended a 1v1 post-up very well early in the 1st quarter.
  • Missed his first pull-up 3, but was in rhythm and just slightly back rimmed it. Not a bad miss
  • Too many multi-dribble pull-up 2s. It is just bad basketball.
  • NBA frame. Easily could end up 6’6 215 and plying PG.
  • Too upright on defense, plays with his hands almost exclusively. Bad fundamentals. Like I said before… his defense is incredibly bad. But that’s true for a lot of kids coming out of high school–I’m not really concerned. Hurley can coach anyone up on defense. It was true for most of the kids on our team. Pretty much everyone but Hawkins was bad at D in high school. Andre was terrible in high school at defense, for example.
  • Drive and kick ability is an NBA-level skill IMO
  • Like his ability to draw fouls. Very NEwton-esque. Plays STRONG going to the rim. He’s a bully, but has finesse too.
  • Not in love with the amount of iso he plays, but that’s more on the coach than anything.
  • He looks SO GOOD in situations where the offense has ccutters, movement, etc. His vision and awareness are 10/10.
  • 1:38 in the first quarter… stupidly smooth spin move in the lane. It seems like the kid has added another move to his bag every game I see him.
  • Worth mentioning that Norcross is NOT a bad team. At least a few D1 players on this squad.
  • Still not thrilled with these TOs while he’s dribbling.
  • Great hit ahead passer
  • These announcers are 50x better than any college announcer I’ve heard all season.
  • He makes some really, really tough jumpers.
  • Very natural and smooth upper body when he shoots. 1-2 step is solid footwork dribbling with right hand especially.. Haven’t ever seen him catching off a hop-step or anything.
  • He is pretty good at drawing fouls when he’s facing pressure. Has that James Harden arm rake thing in his bag.
  • Honestly, if he plays better defense, this is a 10 point win for his team.
  • He’s one of those players (like Karaban) who have a knack for feeding the post–being able to drop the ball at a steep angle over a defendres hands it tough.
  • He might just be elite finishing at the rim. And that was not a strength 12 months ago. He wouldn’t have missed a single 2 point shot this entire game except for the crappy multi-dribble long 2s. Went ⅓ on those. The two spin moves were NBA moves. NBA start moves.
  • No TOs passing the ball–all dribbling.
  • Game back down to earth this game shooting the rock.
  • Trying to do WAY too much in the end of regulation and early OT. Bad shot and TO on back-to-back possessions.
  • Free throw shooting was disappointing tonight.
  • AWFUL shot to try to win it in OT. Disappointing.
"Defense will come around by January if Hurley has anything to say about it".

LOL I'm pretty sure he will hear from Danny about that one. ;)

Reaction Score
In all seriousness tho, they are completely different players. Adams was a great athlete, body control and hops. Not great at being a true pg perhaps. I remember the leprechaun calling him “Barry Sanders with a basketball”
Yeah I couldn’t angree more. Adams was very shifty and quick, did a lot of contorting in the air to finish and could get anywhere he wanted on the court with his speed. Adams had a much tighter handle than Newton. Newton uses less dribbles when attacking and muscles defenders a lot.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NAN24

Top Bottom