Stephon Castle & Tristen Newton | The Boneyard

Stephon Castle & Tristen Newton

Reaction Score
I loved the way that Newton controlled the game yesterday against a very aggressive defense. He was a stable ball handler, drew fouls, penetrated the defense, and is obviously a very capable shooter. He has great size that makes him very versatile defensively. Is this pretty much what we should be expecting in Stephon Castle?? I have never seen him play and am not too familiar with his game. Thanks.

tykurez

For Your Health
Reaction Score
Someone made a comment recently that Newton reminded them of Jalen Adams. Watch tape of Castle and you’ll get the same feeling. Plays very under control and can get to the rim and draw fouls. People forget how talented a guard JA was because his supporting cast and coach situation was horrible.

JonnyRI

The files are in the computer
Reaction Score
Someone made a comment recently that Newton reminded them of Jalen Adams. Watch tape of Castle and you’ll get the same feeling. Plays very under control and can get to the rim and draw fouls. People forget how talented a guard JA was because his supporting cast and coach situation was horrible.
Not sure if that analogy. Jalen Adam’s, if I remember right, avoided fouls like the plague. Could get to the rim like no one else, but did whatever he could to avoid contact.

And Jalen had a much better handle than Newton.

Reaction Score
Adams was also atrocious at drawing fouls and getting to the line, something that Newton excels at and that hopefully Castle has the savvy for as well.

Reaction Score
Jalen Adams literally would do anything to avoid contact. Newton is much tougher than Jalen. Jalen was much smoother.

BGesus4

Running everywhere
Reaction Score
Newton can steer and balance on two wheels
In all seriousness tho, they are completely different players. Adams was a great athlete, body control and hops. Not great at being a true pg perhaps. I remember the leprechaun calling him “Barry Sanders with a basketball”

tykurez

For Your Health
Reaction Score
Adams was also atrocious at drawing fouls and getting to the line, something that Newton excels at and that hopefully Castle has the savvy for as well.
What’s crazy is Newton is currently averaging 10 FTA per 40. Just an insane stat. JA peaked at 4. So they’re definitely different in that regard. Hope Castle is more Newton than Adams.

But visually I just see a lot of JA when I watch Castles tape. Not lightning quick but knows how to get downhill. Savvy with the ball and has a bit of a slower release from deep.

They’re also ranked very similarly.

Reaction Score
What’s crazy is Newton is currently averaging 10 FTA per 40. Just an insane stat. JA peaked at 4. So they’re definitely different in that regard. Hope Castle is more Newton than Adams.

But visually I just see a lot of JA when I watch Castles tape. Not lightning quick but knows how to get downhill. Savvy with the ball and has a bit of a slower release from deep.

Bro their games are so different. Castle issues his size to get to the rim. That’s his main strength. Adams was a slasher. Two different players.

Reaction Score
He could totally stay, but I think castle will be starting. Castle is the 5 star version of Newton
May be true but id be pretty happy with Castle having to outplay Newton for a starting spot. If Newton were to come back combined with Karaban and Clingan another year better and a big time recruiting class? Sign me up for that now.

Reaction Score
What if Newton stays? He could petition for a 2nd year if he wants to.
I don’t think he would need to petition, right? He should have the extra COVID year.

If Newton stays, I assume he and Castle would both start. I think Newton will want to play pro somewhere next year, though.

444JR

The Brand is Strong
Reaction Score
I loved the way that Newton controlled the game yesterday against a very aggressive defense. He was a stable ball handler, drew fouls, penetrated the defense, and is obviously a very capable shooter. He has great size that makes him very versatile defensively. Is this pretty much what we should be expecting in Stephon Castle?? I have never seen him play and am not too familiar with his game. Thanks.

from Castle’s latest game

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
He’s almost the opposite of Adams. Jalen had insane ability to contort himself and avoid contact, while making acrobatic shots at the rim. Better shooter than Newton. Newton is like a big version of Rob Grey (Houston), shields the ball unbelievably well with his body, so doesn’t give up steals, and draws tons of contact and fouls. He never has the ball in front of him when penetrating and lacks that body control so just absorbs the hits.

Reaction Score
The hero ball era per the haters.

Reaction Score
Jalen Adams was a lot better athlete and smaller than Newton. I think the Castle comparison fits better(Good sold athlete with good size) and can penetrate with his strength.

Reaction Score
May be true but id be pretty happy with Castle having to outplay Newton for a starting spot. If Newton were to come back combined with Karaban and Clingan another year better and a big time recruiting class? Sign me up for that now.
Right on.. I think Castle will earn it in practice… pretty early too. Not a knock on Newton, I just think Castle is that good

Reaction Score

Adams was actually a very quick guard with great vertical. He had some nasty alley oop dunks people forget. He was also smaller than Newton and Castle. JA is just such a bad comparison. It is almost as bad as saying that Hawkins is a mix of Rudy Gay and Jeremy Lamb when he has more Ray Allen in him.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BlueWolf25

Top Bottom