Stef-the new point guard? | The Boneyard

Stef-the new point guard?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
During the games, Step is taking "3s" on a regular bases and I assume working on the shot during patice. I am thinking Geno wants her to get to a point where she can hit that shot at a decent rate.

When the Huskies play Baylor, Stef being able to hit that shot would bring BG out away from the basket, opening up the middle for drives to the hoop for our quick people.

Any thoughts?

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
That is exactly the point I made last year about Stef and playing Baylor and Griner. Draw Griner out and then back screen her off the boards or away from the back door cuts from the wings.

VAMike23

The Virginian
Reaction Score
Stef is capable of hitting the 3, but I think her % is going to be much better if she sticks to the 15-18 ft area above and around the FT line. That seems to be her sweetspot and it plenty high to draw out the (post) defender. Also it's close enough that she can put the ball on the floor and get to the rim with 1 dribble.

We don't really need her out as high as the 3-pt line, but it is fun watching her shoot them....:)

rbny1

Gotham Husky Fanatic
Reaction Score
I love Stef, not only as a player but also as a cheerful, goofy, charming person. But my eyes roll every time she takes a 3. I'm not sure those shots are productive for her or the team. But as others have indicated, maybe there is some super-secret plan (such as drawing Griner away from the basket) that I'm not aware of.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Stef is capable of hitting the 3, but I think her % is going to be much better if she sticks to the 15-18 ft area above and around the FT line. That seems to be her sweetspot and it plenty high to draw out the (post) defender. Also it's close enough that she can put the ball on the floor and get to the rim with 1 dribble.

We don't really need her out as high as the 3-pt line, but it is fun watching her shoot them....:)
I'm with Mike. Definitely 15-18'. Maybe behind the arc. But if Tina can hit them, so can Stef. Stef has always been a good shooter.

Reaction Score
Apparently she hits the 3 in practice so we know she is capable. So far this year she is 1 for 5. Not enough shots to make valid statements about her performance.

I think its a good strategy to have her take the 3s in games where misses won't effect the outcome. If she is unable to hit them, nothing is lost as she won't be taking them in critical games. But, if she can prove that her 3 shooting is a threat, that would be a valuable asset down the road. There is no down-side to this experiment.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
It appears she's "allowed" to take 1 3-point shot per game (hasn't she taken 1 in each of the last 5 games?). So far she's 1-5 shooting 20%. Won't draw Griner, or anyone else out to really cover her, at least not at the 3-point line. But as Mil pointed out, the 15-18 footer is a solid shot from her and she does make those consistently. A 6'2" forward won't be able to stop her, I wouldn't think.

So maybe opening things up it might force other centers to come out and try to stop her 15' out or so. That certainly would open up the lane and we've all seen what a terrific passer Stef is...

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
She's gonna have to hit a lot of them before they come out to guard her that far away.
Not really, it is one step back from where they already guard her. The more she shoots it in the game the more comfortable she will become. It is a tactical calculation.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
Apparently she hits the 3 in practice so we know she is capable. So far this year she is 1 for 5. Not enough shots to make valid statements about her performance.

I think its a good strategy to have her take the 3s in games where misses won't effect the outcome. If she is unable to hit them, nothing is lost as she won't be taking them in critical games. But, if she can prove that her 3 shooting is a threat, that would be a valuable asset down the road. There is no down-side to this experiment.
Yes, Kara Wohlters has noted it is normal in practice.

Reaction Score
I'm sure Baylor will be content to let Stef shoot 20 3s if she wants.

It's a nice capability, but I'm sure Geno doesn't want any games depending on Stefs ability to hit 3s.

Reaction Score
I'm sure Baylor will be content to let Stef shoot 20 3s if she wants.

It's a nice capability, but I'm sure Geno doesn't want any games depending on Stefs ability to hit 3s.

The game will depend on getting space for our other players to operate without BG affecting their play, espeically down low. Step can keep BG honest by being able to hit an outside shot. If BG has to come out to play Stef, Stewies will have a field day near the hoop. Nobody will be able to stop her and our guards will be slashing to the hoop.

Reaction Score
The game will depend on getting space for our other players to operate without BG affecting their play, espeically down low. Step can keep BG honest by being able to hit an outside shot. If BG has to come out to play Stef, Stewies will have a field day near the hoop. Nobody will be able to stop her and our guards will be slashing to the hoop.

If Griner is guarding Dolson in 3 pt land then Mulkey is a terrible coach.
The foul line area shot is a different story.

But if I'm Baylor, having Griner somewhere in the paint helps a lot more than what is lost by allowing Dolson shots far away from the basket.

alexrgct

RIP, Alex
Reaction Score
Drawing BG out to 15-18 feet will be more than sufficient to open up the interior against Baylor, and Stef and Breanna are capable of doing just that. Otherwise, Griner may be content to allow them those shots...and they will need to hit them.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Not really,
Yea, really. Shooting a few shots around the elbow/key, or from 12' on the sides is quite different from shooting the 3. The elbow/key and 12' is probably good enough to open up Stewie under the basket, as we have seen.

Reaction Score
Yea, really. Shooting a few shots around the elbow/key, or from 12' on the sides is quite different from shooting the 3. The elbow/key and 12' is probably good enough to open up Stewie under the basket, as we have seen.

Really? Have you watched BG with her reach in the 12'-13' range of the hoop? Watch Baylor the next time they are on TV. In a zone, BG is 8-10 from the basket and she can react and affect the entire paint from that range. She alters and blocks shots all the time from that range, espeically down low. Even if she doesn't get to ball, players know she is there and often rush their shots resulting in a missed basket.

Reaction Score
That is exactly the point I made last year about Stef and playing Baylor and Griner. Draw Griner out and then back screen her off the boards or away from the back door cuts from the wings.

Yea, one of our wings has a 7+ foot wing span.

Reaction Score
KML, Breanna, BB, Hartley and Kelly can all shoot the three. A better use of a posession is let one of them shoot it. She is only doing it because all these games have been blowouts and she was having a little fun. I can't seriously believe she is trying to add this ability to her skill set. And with all the fire power on this team they don't need her wasting posessions in games with Baylor, Stanford, N.D., Duke, etc.

Reaction Score
Reading the title of this thread, I thought we'd be talking about how Stef has more assists so far this season than any Husky other than Kelly. Both great passers.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Really? Have you watched BG with her reach in the 12'-13' range of the hoop? Watch Baylor the next time they are on TV. In a zone, BG is 8-10 from the basket and she can react and affect the entire paint from that range. She alters and blocks shots all the time from that range, espeically down low. Even if she doesn't get to ball, players know she is there and often rush their shots resulting in a missed basket.
Yea I've watched her. And Griner is not gonna chase Dolson out to the 3 pt line. I mean come on, have you ever watched basketball before? Come on, really? :rolleyes:

Reaction Score
Yea I've watched her. And Griner is not gonna chase Dolson out to the 3 pt line. I mean come on, have you ever watched basketball before? Come on, really? :rolleyes:

Watched it? Ive played it at I am 100 % sure higher level than you have. By the way, Walton at the high post taking those shots is part of the UCLA, John Wooden high-low post offence offense and we all know how Geno feels about that. He runs it, to some degree, every game, doesn't he? The misssing part-a post at the top of the key hitting those shot every game. But of course you knew that, didn't you?

IMO Geno is having Stef work on that shot in practice and games in prep for the Baylor game. There is no other logical reason for her taking that shot every game so far, is there? In fact it would be locial that she not take that shot, wouldn't it? And Geno should be chewing her out for taking that shot, shouldn't he? Wait! I'am sorry Geno never gets mad when his players take a bad shot out of their range, right?

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
These are all the same arguments that were made by those who discounted my comments last year and yet the direction of movement is towards what I suggested and away from these other arguments. That is clear by what is happening in games and what Kara has noted about Stef's shooting in practice. It doesn't need to be anything significant just the potential of a threat that must be accounted for in game planning. If Stef starts to hit that shot more consistently then teams must guard her out to or beyond foul line and that means space behind the defender. If the threat is only at the foul line you only have to come halfway up the lane. If it is fully developed into a true potent threat WATCH OUT! Katey bar the doors.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
Watched it? Ive played it at I am 100 % sure higher level than you have. By the way, Walton at the high post taking those shots is part of the UCLA, John Wooden high-low post offence offense and we all know how Geno feels about that. He runs it, to some degree, every game, doesn't he? The misssing part-a post at the top of the key hitting those shot every game. But of course you knew that, didn't you?

IMO Geno is having Stef work on that shot in practice and games in prep for the Baylor game. There is no other logical reason for her taking that shot every game so far, is there? In fact it would be locial that she not take that shot, wouldn't it? And Geno should be chewing her out for taking that shot, shouldn't he? Wait! I'am sorry Geno never gets mad when his players take a bad shot out of their range, right?

Exactly, pppggg. It pure UCLA ball in the Walton era and we know how Geno idolizes the Wizard of Westwood.

Reaction Score
. If Stef starts to hit that shot more consistently then teams must guard her out to or beyond foul line and that means space behind the defender.

You've changed your argument from "Baylor" to "teams". That is a critical difference.
On the latter, yes. The risk/reward of not guarding her is higher for most teams than it is for Baylor.

For Baylor, however, Griner is so dominant and imposing in the lane, *anything* that draws her away is a major downgrading of their defense. If I were their coach, moving her out would not be worth it. I'd rather let Dolson shoot away, and if she hits them, so be it.

alexrgct

RIP, Alex
Reaction Score
John Wooden never had to worry about the three point shot. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom