Stay Classy Brenda | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Stay Classy Brenda

Status
Not open for further replies.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
Oh that's a pretty sad OOC schedule then. I doubt Brenda is playing these games out of the kindness of her heart "for the people of Maryland." Baylor does the same thing because Mulkey is afraid of playing really good teams. It's obvious some teams just want to load up on cupcakes OOC or avoid teams with great players, and then blame their lack of success on parity or the lack of it.

.............Or enter conference play with a .500 record, weakening their chance of a high seed come tournament selection time. Mulkey's OCC schedule was embarrassingly weak last year. This year, it's a little better. It's still a little soft, but better than last year's. Coaches that are in a competitive conference know they need a good won/loss record at the end of the season to get invited to the tournament, and get a decent seed. The preseason is the perfect time to load up on wins for the season. That's where the bread products come in. They do serve a purpose. It's hard to find anyone that's not partial to cupcakes and twinkies. :cool:

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
Oh that's a pretty sad OOC schedule then. I doubt Brenda is playing these games out of the kindness of her heart "for the people of Maryland." Baylor does the same thing because Mulkey is afraid of playing really good teams. It's obvious some teams just want to load up on cupcakes OOC or avoid teams with great players, and then blame their lack of success on parity or the lack of it.
Mulkey after all of these years finally bit the bullet and change her narrative. I just watched a video where she explains Cox's fatigue during the game against Emporia on Cox's tendonitis. That she was held out during practice. So what explains Prince, Brown, Cave and Mompremier dragging themselves across the carpet? Only Wallace, Chou and Davis looked in decent shape.

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
dont mind.jpg

Reaction Score
Please remember folks that D11 & 111 schools want to play these games. # 1 they get paid. # 2 remember when Geno came in 1986 he could not get other top schools to play UConn. He tried so hard to get a game against Penn State to no avail. Years later (when UConn was really good ) Penn State wanted UConn & Geno to come down and play them to open their new field house and Geno said NO !! He likes to schedule Holy Cross, U Hart etc to give them a chance to play a really good team. To play only other D1 schools would not help lower rank schools !!

The issue is scheduling bad D2 and D3 teams. Then pressing in the second half when you are leading by 75 points. This is a clear indication of what type of coach is running the program. It is a disgrace.

Reaction Score
I am not going to criticize Brenda.... It is an exhibition. why should I, on the outside, rag on her for beating some team by 130 pts? It is an exhibition, defined as a platform to work on improving your team prior to regular season games..... if she did that .... it is good
I always thought in order to stay classy you at least once had have been classy

Reaction Score
Maryland 200, Mary Baldwin-0. Brenda 0 for class if she lets that happen

It is possible to beat a team by a lot of points and still have both teams gain by it- as in the Uconn exhibition game. IUP scored 35 points, with one player scoring 17. They ran successful offensive plays and never gave up defensively against a top team and had to come out of it feeling good about themselves.

Going to Geno at the beginning of the game was very cool, a great memory for them.

There are ways of beating an over matched team without humiliating them.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Why don't teams play their exhibitions against other D1 programs? Maybe not ones from in conference or other P5 schools, but there are 300 something D1 teams, surely you could find a couple of weaker regional schools to play that would provide a better test and opportunity to work on things in a more game like environment?

It's not allowed

@HoopsFan21 & @j66kicker I'm still looking into this further but I do not believe this to be correct-That DI programs are not allowed to scrimmage other DI programs.
I know that was not the case as late as 2014 when my Daughter was still in College and playing D1 basketball. There were scrimmages against other D1 programs every year she was there. I remember some of the scrimmages being closed to public( I had to sneak in) but it was definitely D1 teams playing other D1 teams with uniforms, referees & keep score like a regular season game.

Reaction Score
@HoopsFan21 & @j66kicker I'm still looking into this further but I do not believe this to be correct-That DI programs are not allowed to scrimmage other DI programs.
I know that was not the case as late as 2014 when my Daughter was still in College and playing D1 basketball. There were scrimmages against other D1 programs every year she was there. I remember some of the scrimmages being closed to public( I had to sneak in) but it was definitely D1 teams playing other D1 teams with uniforms, referees & keep score like a regular season game.
I believe the rule is they can't play exhibition games against other D1 schools where spectators are allowed to attend. Let us know if you find out diffferently

Reaction Score
A lot of people are missing the point here. Maryland did not put 5 walk-on players on the court in the 2nd half. Out of the last 6 players on the court in the game, four were former McDonalds All Americans and a 5th was the Georgia state player of the year and ranked 15th in Hoopgurlz. So you're telling me that after practicing hard for several weeks that they should take it easy because the team is so inferior. Blame the scheduling but not the effort of the players. This happens in high school all the time.

Brenda gets alot of grief sometimes but give her credit for developing players. SWK and Brionna Jones were the #43 and #55 ranked players in the country for 2013 and ESPN now ranks them #5 and #16 in the nation for all classes. (Nina Davis gets props as well she was #52).
Tianna Hawkins was ranked #133 and was the #6 pick in a WNBA draft. Brenda has some shortcomings but she also does some things well.

Reaction Score
I believe the rule is they can't play exhibition games against other D1 schools where spectators are allowed to attend. Let us know if you find out diffferently

That could be correct....on the men's side I saw the UNC just played Memphis State but they had to do it behind closed doors

Reaction Score
A lot of people are missing the point here. Maryland did not put 5 walk-on players on the court in the 2nd half. Out of the last 6 players on the court in the game, four were former McDonalds All Americans and a 5th was the Georgia state player of the year and ranked 15th in Hoopgurlz. So you're telling me that after practicing hard for several weeks that they should take it easy because the team is so inferior. Blame the scheduling but not the effort of the players. This happens in high school all the time.
I would never blame the players........they are only following their coach's orders...........

Reaction Score
That could be correct....on the men's side I saw the UNC just played Memphis State but they had to do it behind closed doors
This is called a secret scrimmage. Men basketball does this all the time. Maryland played Wake Forest in the secret scrimmage this year. They played Georgetown and Villanova in the past. Attendance is not permitted.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
I really think the problem is in choosing the opponents here and without seeing the game I cannot comment on the coaching and players.

Geno chose a team in IUP that was pretty good in the DII firmament, and the score was still 111-39 even after calling off the dogs in the second half. Bluefield State was terrible last year in DII going 2-23 vs. IUP that went 21-9 and made it to the post season. At some point you either just stop the game or you let your players actually run offense and score otherwise you are really wasting time. As far as defense - you have to play your defense.

Reaction Score
This is called a secret scrimmage. Men basketball does this all the time. Maryland played Wake Forest in the secret scrimmage this year. They played Georgetown and Villanova in the past. Attendance is not permitted.

You mean the secret but not so secret scrimmage..........everybody knows your playing but nobody gets to watch

Reaction Score
I really think the problem is in choosing the opponents here and without seeing the game I cannot comment on the coaching and players.

Geno chose a team in IUP that was pretty good in the DII firmament, and the score was still 111-39 even after calling off the dogs in the second half. Bluefield State was terrible last year in DII going 2-23 vs. IUP that went 21-9 and made it to the post season. At some point you either just stop the game or you let your players actually run offense and score otherwise you are really wasting time. As far as defense - you have to play your defense.

For a college team, even a DII college team to not score a single point in a half is the height of ineptitude.......would love to know how many shots they attempted in that half

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
For a college team, even a DII college team to not score a single point in a half is the height of ineptitude..would love to know how many shots they attempted in that half
I think I read somewhere they lost one of their D11 games last year by 100 points so inept is probably a good descriptor.

Reaction Score
For a college team, even a DII college team to not score a single point in a half is the height of ineptitude..would love to know how many shots they attempted in that half

Believe it or not they actually led 3-2 in the game.

Carnac

Reaction Score

Brenda gets alot of grief sometimes but give her credit for developing players. SWK and Brionna Jones were the #43 and #55 ranked players in the country for 2013 and ESPN now ranks them #5 and #16 in the nation for all classes. (Nina Davis gets props as well she was #52).
Tianna Hawkins was ranked #133 and was the #6 pick in a WNBA draft. Brenda has some shortcomings but she also does some things well.

Terp fan, No one is blaming the players. Players are always suppose to play as hard as they can regardless of who is in front of them. Our Geno preaches that 24/7, 365 days a year. We are questioning the scheduling, not the players. They don't schedule the games, they just play. I'm I'm a player, I don't care the level of the team or the player 's guarding me (or visa versa) I'm trying to impress my coach and my teammates. We don't care who was on the court or when. We're looking t the bottle line, a 129 point win. If you can't see the irony in that, I don't know what else I can say. :oops:

Carnac

Reaction Score

That's correct. UNLV traveled to Utah this past weekend for a closed door scrimmage with the Utah Utes. I was a 1 day turn-a-round. Leave and come back the same day. No spectators were allowed. They played Oregon last year on a 2 day turnaround. No spectators allowed, no press, no fanfare.

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
Mulkey played every lineup imaginable and Baylor looked like crap as a result much of the game. Baylor was criticized for the fact that they only won by 29. Maryland is criticized because they won by 129. I guess winning by 72 is just right.

Reaction Score
Mulkey played every lineup imaginable and Baylor looked like crap as a result much of the game. Baylor was criticized for the fact that they only won by 29. Maryland is criticized because they won by 129. I guess winning by 72 is just right.
Nah, Mulkey is criticized because she's scared to play good teams during the regular season. Brenda thinks only UConn gets good players, so the game is rigged.

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
Nah, Mulkey is criticized because she's scared to play good teams during the regular season. Brenda thinks only UConn gets good players, so the game is rigged.

Are you saying that UCONN isn't a good team?

Reaction Score
Nah, Mulkey is criticized because she's scared to play good teams during the regular season.

Last year, Baylor played 14 games against the Sagarin top 25. Tied for most in the country.

Reaction Score
Terp fan, No one is blaming the players. Players are always suppose to play as hard as they can regardless of who is in front of them. Our Geno preaches that 24/7, 365 days a year. We are questioning the scheduling, not the players. They don't schedule the games, they just play. I'm I'm a player, I don't care the level of the team or the player 's guarding me (or visa versa) I'm trying to impress my coach and my teammates. We don't care who was on the court or when. We're looking t the bottle line, a 129 point win. If you can't see the irony in that, I don't know what else I can say. :oops:
OK. I get it. Some people were saying that they should have stepped off the pedal a little bit in the 2nd half. But a lot of Maryland fans would like a little stronger OOC schedule and they did better this year with Arizona State, Washington State and Louisville.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom