Stay Classy Brenda | Page 6 | The Boneyard

Stay Classy Brenda

Status
Not open for further replies.

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
I don't know what they pay in B'Ball, but Tulsa got $850K to play tOSU in Columbus this season. That's enough guap to cover their entire athletic budget for the year. You think their AD and their Women's Volleyball Coach is upset that they got pounded?

If that is true, then I really feel sorry for Tulsa's athletics. :oops: :eek::eek::eek::eek:

Reaction Score
Uh... Jurgensen went to Duke :cool:
Oops - my bad. But in looking at all Tulsa's NFL players to see who I must have been thinking of (???? - duhh) I counted 195, so I still stick with the "legit" football program

Reaction Score
The more one knows about her, the worse she looks. When she was just starting out as an assistant at Iowa State she recruited her sister, Stacy, who immediately joined up at ISU with sister Brenda. The only problem was that at the time, Stacy was a scholarship player at Iowa. When howls of protest arose, Brenda's response could have been neatly summarized with a single extended digit. At the minimum, BF comes across to me as an arrogant pragmatist.

big bird, fair enough, i was just referring to her scheduling an exhibition game.... that is all.... she draws criticism for it, when other coaches schedule incredibly weak opponents and it is just fine

BigBird

Et In Hoc Signo Vinces
Reaction Score
big bird, fair enough, i was just referring to her scheduling an exhibition game.... that is all.... she draws criticism for it, when other coaches schedule incredibly weak opponents and it is just fine

We're good, Bay. I posted as I did because I didn't know if others were aware of just how early in her career she managed to get other coaches (and fans) irritated. It was more intense back in the day, and the two schools had a testy relationship for a while because of it. Today, they merely detest each other for more general reasons.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
Nan I agree that calling Frese "pond scum" is beyond the BY pale. But I thought the points he made were valid. I would like to re-post those comments with further deletions:

"1. When hired at MN (Lindsay Whalen's and Janelle McCarville soph years) "getting the HC job at MN is my dream job!" After 1 year she was hired HC at MD and at presser said, " Being hired as HC at MD is the job I've always dreamed of having and I'm looking forward to many great seasons here!"

2. When Harper & Langhorn were being recruited by UCONN and were considered a lock, right before signing day both girls received calls from BF about some nasty stuff at UCONN and the next day both girls signed with MD! Geno made some remark about HC's telling lies to steal players!

3. When MD won the NC in 2006 BF's head Asst. was a gentleman named Jeff Walz. He ran every huddle and was considered the power behind the throne. After he signed as HC at L'ville where he has shown how talented a coach he is! And this season, BF 2 top Assts. did most of the talking in their huddles.

4. If you watch BF during her pre-game inspirational speeches, 1/2 the team is pre occupied elsewhere!

5. After KML and Morgan Tuck were hurt UCONN beat MD, and BF said if one more AA got hurt Geno might finally have to coach at practices and games!

6. When all the talk about is UCONN winning bad for WBB the first one they talked to was Ms. Frese, knocking Geno & UCONN!"

I think these points are fair. Yet if you feel these are still out of bounds feel free to delete again.
The comments are fine but it's more a rant than points being made.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
I am not familiar with this incident. What type of recruit tampering was she involved in?
Here's what really happened:

• When Maryland was looking for a coach and considering Frese, Geno put in a recommendation for her to the Athletic Director, at that time Debbie Yow. Frese got the job in 2002, as we all know.
  • Not long after being hired, Frese started recruiting (naturally) but her, um, aggressive negative recruiting began to affect some coaching friendships. NYC recruit Shay Doron was a UConn lean until she abruptly announced she'd be going to Maryland, choosing the Terrapins over that "basketball factory" UConn (this comment was published in the Baltimore Sun in the article announcing Doron's oral commitment). This started some UConn fans to grumbling about Frese
  • Frese and He Who Must Not Be Named (aka Philly Belles AAU head Mike Flynn) forged a relationship where his best players somehow ended up at Maryland. I'm not suggesting anything illegal or unethical, just that there have been instances where players have been steered to Maryland. This didn't endear Frese to coaches and fans of other teams.
  • Enter Crystal Langhorne and Laura Harper, both members of the Philly Belles. Harper actually gave Geno an oral commitment but rescinded it days later, then committed to Maryland. Langhorne went through the exercise of coming to UConn for the First Night Supershow but it was probably out of courtesy because all photos of her at UConn showed an unhappy young woman. Rumors were rife of Flynn's interference in the recruiting process and Geno and Flynn were, let's say, not on each other's Christmas card list after that. I don't know what Geno said to Flynn but it pissed off Flynn so much he even yelled at me at the Junior Nationals Tournament in Washington DC one year.
  • But machinations or not, Geno pried Caroline Doty out of the Philly Belles and she and good friend and AAU teammates Elena Delle Donne both committed to UConn, so all's well that ends well
BTW, if you want to see some more sour grapes, ask the Tennessee fans about the abrupt transfer of Sade Wiley-Gatewood to Maryland.

Reaction Score
BTW, if you want to see some more sour grapes, ask the Tennessee fans about the abrupt transfer of Sade Wiley-Gatewood to Maryland.

But here's the thing about that: when SWG announced she was leaving Tenn, Vol fans pretty much hung Sheri Coale in effigy. They were convinced that she had tampered with SWG, luring her to Oklahoma. Thus showing how fan bases can get riled up over items with no facts.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
Going back 10 years or so---Someone, i believe it was Geno, was asked this question and The numbers spoken then was 50/60 k---Geno in some issues tends to puff the data a bit. But then it may not have been Geno. It seems as though these '2' teams are traveling and being drubbed for chump change (compared to the money Div 1 teams throw around. )
No, there was never that much money in women's basketball. Maybe a reporter mis-heard 15,000 as 50,000.

Reaction Score
No, there was never that much money in women's basketball. Maybe a reporter mis-heard 15,000 as 50,000.
In a non argumentative request---where did you find that information??

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
Well, if playing Bluefield gets everyone riled up ... wait til Sunday.

MD plays Mary Baldwin, 0-24 last year in D3! ?

I wont post the score... but it was as ugly as expected :oops:

Poor fighting squirrels :(

marybaldwin.jpg

Just doings some reading on the squirrels.... and they havent won a game in 4 years :eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:

stwainfan

Faithful LV Enthusiast
Reaction Score
The Kentucky men's team just won by 101 points.

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score

marybaldwin.jpg

Just doings some reading on the squirrels.... and they havent won a game in 4 years :eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:
Consider that Brenda's choice of teams to test her new group, which was one of her best recruiting classes ever, have a combined two wins between them. Then she wisely throws them to the wolves in the first 4 regular season games when they face UMass Lowell, Maryland-Eastern Shore, Mount St. Mary's, and Niagara. This great team should be well prepared when they face Arizona State after Thanksgiving. What a coach. Talk about leading from the rear.

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
  • Enter Crystal Langhorne and Laura Harper, both members of the Philly Belles. Harper actually gave Geno an oral commitment but rescinded it days later, then committed to Maryland. Langhorne went through the exercise of coming to UConn for the First Night Supershow but it was probably out of courtesy because all photos of her at UConn showed an unhappy young woman. Rumors were rife of Flynn's interference in the recruiting process and Geno and Flynn were, let's say, not on each other's Christmas card list after that. I don't know what Geno said to Flynn but it pissed off Flynn so much he even yelled at me at the Junior Nationals Tournament in Washington DC one year.
Probably something about the buffet being closed...... or them running out of cheeseburgers and donuts or something :rolleyes:

Reaction Score
Consider that Brenda's choice of teams to test her new group, which was one of her best recruiting classes ever, have a combined two wins between them. Then she wisely throws them to the wolves in the first 4 regular season games when they face UMass Lowell, Maryland-Eastern Shore, Mount St. Mary's, and Niagara. This great team should be well prepared when they face Arizona State after Thanksgiving. What a coach. Talk about leading from the rear.

Yeah right, Brenda had even a weaker schedule last year and then gave UConn their toughest game of the year. But don't let these facts get in the way of your opinion. Maybe you should email Brenda and tell her about your expert advice and also tell her why your opinion really matters.

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
Yeah right, Brenda had even a weaker schedule last year and then gave UConn their toughest game of the year. But don't let these facts get in the way of your opinion. Maybe you should email Brenda and tell her about your expert advice and also tell her why your opinion really matters.
And then Brenda's "great" team from last year was booted in the 2nd round by Washington after having a fairly tough game against Iona. Please don't let the facts get in the way of YOUR narrative.

Reaction Score
Nan I agree that calling Frese "pond scum" is beyond the BY pale. But I thought the points he made were valid. I would like to re-post those comments with further deletions:

"1. When hired at MN (Lindsay Whalen's and Janelle McCarville soph years) "getting the HC job at MN is my dream job!" After 1 year she was hired HC at MD and at presser said, " Being hired as HC at MD is the job I've always dreamed of having and I'm looking forward to many great seasons here!"

2. When Harper & Langhorn were being recruited by UCONN and were considered a lock, right before signing day both girls received calls from BF about some nasty stuff at UCONN and the next day both girls signed with MD! Geno made some remark about HC's telling lies to steal players!

3. When MD won the NC in 2006 BF's head Asst. was a gentleman named Jeff Walz. He ran every huddle and was considered the power behind the throne. After he signed as HC at L'ville where he has shown how talented a coach he is! And this season, BF 2 top Assts. did most of the talking in their huddles.

4. If you watch BF during her pre-game inspirational speeches, 1/2 the team is pre occupied elsewhere!

5. After KML and Morgan Tuck were hurt UCONN beat MD, and BF said if one more AA got hurt Geno might finally have to coach at practices and games!

6. When all the talk about is UCONN winning bad for WBB the first one they talked to was Ms. Frese, knocking Geno & UCONN!"

I think these points are fair. Yet if you feel these are still out of bounds feel free to delete again.

JordyG- - - Thank you very much for printing my 6 points about Coach Frese. I was totally off base to start the post with a nasty remark and I apologize for the nasty, but BF just gets my blood boiling and I was overzealous!
She comes off as holier than thou and IMO is one of the few coaches that treads the line between ethical and unethical behavior every day! If there is a BB God, UCONN on Dec. 29th will beat MD by 30+ points and we can again listen to Coach Frese B-tch and moan about Geno and his over-abundance of HS AA's on his team!

Reaction Score
Here's what really happened:

• When Maryland was looking for a coach and considering Frese, Geno put in a recommendation for her to the Athletic Director, at that time Debbie Yow. Frese got the job in 2002, as we all know.
  • Not long after being hired, Frese started recruiting (naturally) but her, um, aggressive negative recruiting began to affect some coaching friendships. NYC recruit Shay Doron was a UConn lean until she abruptly announced she'd be going to Maryland, choosing the Terrapins over that "basketball factory" UConn (this comment was published in the Baltimore Sun in the article announcing Doron's oral commitment). This started some UConn fans to grumbling about Frese
  • Frese and He Who Must Not Be Named (aka Philly Belles AAU head Mike Flynn) forged a relationship where his best players somehow ended up at Maryland. I'm not suggesting anything illegal or unethical, just that there have been instances where players have been steered to Maryland. This didn't endear Frese to coaches and fans of other teams.
  • But machinations or not, Geno pried Caroline Doty out of the Philly Belles and she and good friend and AAU teammates Elena Delle Donne both committed to UConn, so all's well that ends well

Actually it has more to do with tampering with other players... Parker being recruiting by her into her sophomore year for example. SWG and Parker weren't the only ones. Ask most Big Ten and ACC schools how they feel about her. It is incredible that she has anything resembling a respectful relationship with anyone connected to WCBB.

As for Sherri Coale being called out by Tennessee fans I'm not sure I remember that to be a widespread thing. It was known pretty early on after her departure she was going to Maryland and many knew prior to the announcement because they witnessed the recruiting first hand at the tourney where Tennessee played Maryland.

And all of this is barely touching on the extent of Brenda's transgressions. UConn, Tennessee and many others are completely validated in their lack of respect for her.

Reaction Score
And then Brenda's "great" team from last year was booted in the 2nd round by Washington after having a fairly tough game against Iona. Please don't let the facts get in the way of YOUR narrative.

Both games were at Maryland too.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score

The fifth-ranked Maryland women’s basketball team overpowered Mary Baldwin, 153-27
I think that these exhibitions give our kids the experience of a game day more so than a closed scrimmage,” head coach Brenda Frese.

#6/5 Terps Overpower Mary Baldwin in Exhibition

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Some of us have already contacted Brenda, now we are trying to get through to some of her fans.
Simple message really: Mad props for stepping up and playing UCONN on a regular basis. University of Maryland's exhibition & OOC schedule are not worthy of a team contending for a national championship=bad for WCBB.

Reaction Score

This goes against everything you are saying. First, MD had a week schedule and played great against UConn. Then MD had a tougher schedule and were beat by Washington in the tourney. Your point, less you forget, was that MD had a weak schedule and are not prepared to play against tougher teams. You can't have it both ways you know.

Reaction Score
Actually it has more to do with tampering with other players... Parker being recruiting by her into her sophomore year for example. SWG and Parker weren't the only ones. Ask most Big Ten and ACC schools how they feel about her. It is incredible that she has anything resembling a respectful relationship with anyone connected to WCBB.

As for Sherri Coale being called out by Tennessee fans I'm not sure I remember that to be a widespread thing. It was known pretty early on after her departure she was going to Maryland and many knew prior to the announcement because they witnessed the recruiting first hand at the tourney where Tennessee played Maryland.

And all of this is barely touching on the extent of Brenda's transgressions. UConn, Tennessee and many others are completely validated in their lack of respect for her.

This is amazing, SWG wanted to leave UT and MD is to blame because she ended up there. She wanted to leave. She must not have been happy at UT. If she was happy there, she wouldn't have left. Other schools were also after her.

Reaction Score
The fifth-ranked Maryland women’s basketball team overpowered Mary Baldwin, 153-27
I think that these exhibitions give our kids the experience of a game day more so than a closed scrimmage,” head coach Brenda Frese.

#6/5 Terps Overpower Mary Baldwin in Exhibition
I was at the game Sunday. I agree with the game day experience because you need to practice that as well. My problem is why not schedule elite DII or DIII teams. What are you going to gain by beating a team when they break your press one time in the entire 48-2 first quarter. You need to find out how to respond after they beat the press and run an offensive set. I guess they'll find out in the 1st 4 OOC games before heading to Las Vegas.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
This is amazing, SWG wanted to leave UT and MD is to blame because she ended up there. She wanted to leave. She must not have been happy at UT. If she was happy there, she wouldn't have left. Other schools were also after her.
Crafty, but the issue is not that she ended up at MD, the issue is how she ended up there. She ended up @ MD because MD recruited her WHILE she was playing at TN. Totally improper.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TNS

Top Bottom