Statue planned for former hoops star A'ja Wilson | The Boneyard

Statue planned for former hoops star A'ja Wilson

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
COLUMBIA, S.C. -- Basketball star A'ja Wilson is getting a statue at South Carolina. (Scoop: Say what?!? :eek:)

University President Harris Pastides closed graduation ceremonies Saturday by announcing the school plans to build a statue of the national player of the year.

upload_2018-5-12_15-54-16.png

Wilson helped South Carolina win the 2017 NCAA title and left as the school's all-time scoring leader. Wilson received a loud ovation when she walked across the stage for her diploma.

She was the No. 1 pick in the WNBA draft and will play for the Las Vegas Aces this summer.

Wilson was the Southeastern Conference player of the year the past three seasons and is a three-time All-American, and she swept all national awards this past season.

[Story]

Last edited by a moderator:

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
I think it's great.

It will be easy for UConn fans to respond with derision. But let's face it, A'ja took SC women's hoops to the next level. The support they've received from their institution and community has matched or exceeded that of any other team in the country, past or present. I welcome the recognition and visibility they're giving to the sport.

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
That's wonderful. In a thread last year I predicted they would eventually name a street somewhere in SC after her. I still think thats gonna happen even with this statue announcement.

Reaction Score
If UCONN were to do this, it would need to build a pantheon, a really big pantheon, for its greatest players.
I think it's great they're doing that for A'ja. Yeah, don't know where we'd put them all at UConn. How many of our alums are statue-worthy? Would NPOY be the criteria?

At Oklahoma we're running out of room for Heisman winner statues. There's a lobbying effort now to make Baker Mayfield's a statue of him planting the OU flag on the "O" in the middle of the Horseshoe at Ohio State. (Little did he know he'd get drafted by Cleveland, in the middle of Ohio State fan territory - oops!)

Reaction Score
COLUMBIA, S.C. -- Basketball star A'ja Wilson is getting a statue at South Carolina. (Scoop: Say what?!? :eek:)

University President Harris Pastides closed graduation ceremonies Saturday by announcing the school plans to build a statue of the national player of the year.

View attachment 31356

Wilson was the Southeastern Conference player of the year the past three seasons and is a three-time All-American, and she swept all national awards this past season.

[Story]

I have no problem with it other then the timing......................not too many 21 year old's have statues.........................I would have thought they'd wait until after she was elected governor.............:rolleyes:

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
If they want to do it, they should do it for Staley, but it good to see woman's sports getting recognized.

SVCBeercats

Meglepetés Előadó
Reaction Score
I think it's great they're doing that for A'ja.

I like sports. I played sports a great deal of my life. At times I excelled, but most of time it was just fun. But at a University/College any statue should be for great accomplishments in the arts, sciences, academics, mathematics, social contributions, and business. But not for excellence in a game. It cheapens the reason for the institution's existence.

Replicant

Nexus 6 Leader
Reaction Score
I like sports. I played sports a great deal of my life. At times I excelled, but most of time it was just fun. But at a University/College any statue should be for great accomplishments in the arts, sciences, academics, mathematics, social contributions, and business. But not for excellence in a game. It cheapens the reason for the institution's existence.
I agree with your premise. The only sporting exception I'd make however, would be for an individual or team that was transcendent to the game, the university, the franchise, the culture, the community-at-large. Someone with the gravitas of a Ruth, Gehrig, Ali, Wooden, Summitt, Lombardi, Auriemma, Gretzky, Jordan, the 1980 U.S. Mens Hockey Team, et al. If every school started offering statues to their star player for a single championship they'd be a shortage in the supply of bronze.

Just my opinion, but this seems a bit of a stretch, and far too soon in the history of SC Women's Bball to enshrine Wilson in this manner. If the lone NCAA championship by a state grown athlete were to change the trajectory and culture of the program/school into a future dynasty (a la Rebecca Lobo's contribution to UConn), then they might be onto something, but only the passage of time will tell.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I think it's great.

It will be easy for UConn fans to respond with derision. But let's face it, A'ja took SC women's hoops to the next level. The support they've received from their institution and community has matched or exceeded that of any other team in the country, past or present. I welcome the recognition and visibility they're giving to the sport.
While I agree with some of your comment I would think Dawn would be getting credit for building the program as Geno has here. Yes A'ja took them to the promise land (once) but Dawn had the foundation and supporting cast in place. Along with a great fan base.
As to them putting up a statue it will be a good teaching point for Dawn. When explaining "you can't win them all" she can use,
"some days your the pigeon and some days your the statue". ;)

MainefanSC

golfnut
Reaction Score
IMHO Just a bit premature. As some have stated, it MAY be appropriate when history bears out her being a legend. Don't have a clue as to who or circumstance of football player statues, but maybe that's how they operate. What if she's a bust on the pro or national team front? I do suppose recycling is a possibility.

She's a good kid and BB player who helped bring a NC. Enough said.

cockhrnleghrn

Crowing rooster
Reaction Score
That's wonderful. In a thread last year I predicted they would eventually name a street somewhere in SC after her. I still think thats gonna happen even with this statue announcement.

There is a street, about a mile from my house, that's named for her grandfather.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom